Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: JasonJ BAT Kit and what else? - 05/23/05 08:13 PM
I believe I am going to be splurging for the BAT Euro Kit. My car has ~117k miles(I've had it since 60k and haven't touched the suspension, and it's pretty clunky and squeeky). Other than just getting the BAT Euro Kit, what else should I replace while it's torn apart? By the way, car is on stock 8-spokes, so wheels/tires don't change anything.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/23/05 08:44 PM
While you've got the struts off? Camber kits, that's the biggest thing I could name. If you're really into a challenge, do your lower control arms and swaybar bushings at the same time, but that's a subframe-dropping issue.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/23/05 08:46 PM
Originally posted by JasonJ:
I believe I am going to be splurging for the BAT Euro Kit. My car has ~117k miles(I've had it since 60k and haven't touched the suspension, and it's pretty clunky and squeeky). Other than just getting the BAT Euro Kit, what else should I replace while it's torn apart? By the way, car is on stock 8-spokes, so wheels/tires don't change anything.

Im doing the same thing, but am at 145K on most of the parts with the struts being about half that.

Anyway, its getting the BAT kit, new inner and outer tie rod ends, all four strut mounts with the front camber kit, tubular toe arms, boxed rear control arms, new strut bearings and new sway bar bushings. I still want to pick up a set of stronger front sway bar mounts, but that can be installed later.
Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/23/05 08:47 PM
BAT = Ass sag with some fries on the side Struts are good, but H&R and B&G level out the car more...
Posted By: csvt99 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/23/05 08:57 PM
but....they drop more overall than the BAT

Also, you don't need to drop the subframe to change the rear sway bar bushings
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/23/05 08:57 PM
Originally posted by durateX:
BAT = Ass sag with some fries on the side Struts are good, but H&R and B&G level out the car more...

LOL, Im half expecting the kit to either not change or even lift the rear of the car. Right now the top of the wheelwheel is lined up with the top of the tire. Stock diameter tires and OE GL springs.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/23/05 09:41 PM
I put my bat euro handling kit on last weekend. Right now its a tight fit to get 2 fingers between the rear tires and body, but on the front, i can easily fit 3 fingers between the tire and body.

I'm really hoping that will come down a little more on the front.

Before i dropped I measured from center of the wheel to the body at all 4 corners....when i get time, i gotta measure the after distances.
Posted By: bohdi Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/23/05 11:49 PM
Originally posted by amarv12:
I put my bat euro handling kit on last weekend. Right now its a tight fit to get 2 fingers between the rear tires and body, but on the front, i can easily fit 3 fingers between the tire and body.

Before i dropped I measured from center of the wheel to the body at all 4 corners....when i get time, i gotta measure the after distances.

It should. Mine took about a month to fully drop, though the rear is still slightly lower, though, only to my eyes.

I still think it lacks a bit of damping, but for someone who has a lot on his plate right now (read: "lacks the time to screw with a car every weekend") they work well in getting from a to b.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 12:40 AM

What?! Put down the crack pipe!

http://www.contour.org/carprofile/files/1049/img/orig.jpg
Posted By: csvt99 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:04 AM
well first of all, the rear end sags on the stock suspension. On mine, I can fit two fingers in the rear wheel well, with about half an inch of spare room. On the front, 3 fit perfectly
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:07 AM
Upper strut mounts, since you have high miles. And LCA.
Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:17 AM
Originally posted by todB-A-N-A-N-A-Sras:

That grass hill is steeper than the Mariannas Trench. You're supposed to measure suspension on a level surface . Besides, plenty people here on CEG upset bout the BAT and ass sag syndrome. Of course, Eibach still leads the A-S-S . Looks like the SZ hangover still lingers in your system...

XL

Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:19 AM

That grass hill is steeper than the Mariannas Trench. You're supposed to measure suspension on a level surface . Besides, plenty people here on CEG upset bout the BAT and ass sag syndrome. Of course, Eibach still leads the A-S-S .

XL

Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:33 AM
My Bat springs dont appear to have any ass sag...
(Im on the left)
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:50 AM
plenty people here on CEG upset bout the BAT and ass sag syndrome. Of course, Eibach still leads the A-S-S .

XL

And would you like to show me where? In my 7 years here I have not heard one person say the BAT kit sags in the rear.

Keep on smokin'
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:56 AM
Ive only heard it from the Eibachs, personally, my car has a racked look too it. It looks quasi even in the above picture because i have a 150 lb tent in the backseat, and [censored] in the trunk.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 02:32 AM
plenty people here on CEG upset bout the BAT and ass sag syndrome. Of course, Eibach still leads the A-S-S .

XL

And would you like to show me where? In my 7 years here I have not heard one person say the BAT kit sags in the rear.

Keep on smokin'

Heck, mine "sagged" in the front, distinct raked profile.
Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 03:42 AM
Keep on smokin'

...the good shyyt that is...

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:39 PM
Keep on smokin'

...the good shyyt that is...

Yea one guy that doesn't have any pics up. You can clearly see in every pic posted that the BAT kit is level & even a little raked.
Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 01:51 PM

You can clearly see in every pic posted that the BAT kit is level & even a little raked.

Like here?

Originally posted by R_G:
Before (stock)

After (BAT)

NO DIFFERENCE

Want me to scoop up some more from the search engine? Listen, I don't mean to argue with you, but in just the short time I have been here there has been several unhappy customers with this setup. I am not saying it's everyone. I just made a conclusive comment based on the probability of it happening. If it was up to me, I would not go with BAT simply and easily because of the probability ratio. That's all. For now, I will continue to enjoy my GCs.

XL
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 02:01 PM
Like here?

I dunno why his looks the way it does, may be it has something to do w/ the fact that he has Zetec, or may be he keeps dead bodies in the trunk, but mine does not look like that at all. then again, it did not look like that on stock suspension either
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 02:03 PM
There is a difference, the bottom picture has bigger rims and tires.

I've had the BAT kit since early 2002 and I never noticed any sag until I put on my 235/45-17's w/FSVT rims on.
Now the rear tires are even with the fender lip and the front tires are about a finger above. Nothing big but when I load the car down it becomes a little more pronounced.

My plan to correct this is to pull the rear struts, clean/lube/paint everything again to protect against corrosion, and then use some quality rubber hose on the top and bottom spring coils in order to add about 1/2". It will also ensure there are no suspension noises, but the BAT kit doesn't really have any noise. The noisiest thing on the car are the tie straps that secure the rear park brake cables to the trailing arms. Those [censored] squeek every time over light suspension movement. I have to spray silicon lube on them every 5K to keep the noise away.

If you aren't sure if your suspension will sag when you put on your rear springs, I'd recommend adding some good high pressure hose to the top and bottom coils.
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 02:57 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
I've had the BAT kit since early 2002 and I never noticed any sag until I put on my 235/45-17's w/FSVT rims on.

r u saying u wanna buy your CSVT wheels back? I'm still running them
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 03:09 PM

Want me to scoop up some more from the search engine? Listen, I don't mean to argue with you, but in just the short time I have been here there has been several unhappy customers with this setup.

Yes find some more. Actually find one more. As stated not sure what the guy with the Zetec has done but I've never seen a pic of a Contour w/ BAT springs w/ sag like that. Might be the struts he's using.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 03:23 PM
Granted, this picture is taken on an incline, but you can see the forward rake of the BAT kit on my 95LX V6/ATX.

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 03:26 PM

Uhh... NO?!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 04:29 PM
I've had the BAT springs on my Contour & will transfer them to my Mystique. I would not tolerate ass sag & I don't have a problem with it using the BAT springs.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 04:38 PM
Bat in Action:

Bat at Rest:

No saggy azz here.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 09:49 PM

Yea one guy that doesn't have any pics up. You can clearly see in every pic posted that the BAT kit is level & even a little raked.

I don't have any pics up because the car is filthy, and I just got them on last weekend.

And in all fairness, it still needs to settle like the others said! I remember when Roger (thestripedSVT) first posted pics after his drop, the fronts were noticeably higher....according to the new owner, this is no longer true.

So, duratex, it seems that the "ass-sag" goes away in approx. a month.

If you aren't sure if your suspension will sag when you put on your rear springs, I'd recommend adding some good high pressure hose to the top and bottom coils.

My bat kit had hoses slid onto the bottom coil of the rear springs already.

One other thing is that if you look in the faq, the bat kit has springs that have a blue coating on them....mine all had a red coating. Have they changed the actual springs, or just the color of the coating?
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/24/05 09:57 PM
Actually.. teh ass sag is ONLY present if there is anything of decent weight in the back... say 1 person or several bags of grocery's/ 12 packs, etc.The new owner (me, Chad) never has squat in the trunk.. cept ma bump bumps. , but they weigh less than the spare tire/jack I "had" in there.
Posted By: jthursby Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/25/05 12:36 PM

What do you base this on? My BAT kit has been on for 50 thousand miles and it's LEVEL. Always has been. Never heard anyone say any different about theirs either.

Jim
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/25/05 10:12 PM
Here's the before and after distances.
Distance was measured from the center of the wheel to the edge of the fenders straight up. Values rounded to the nearest 1/8".

Before:
Front-Driver side:...14.5"
Front-Pass. side:....14.875"
Rear-Driver side:.....14.125"
Rear-Pass. side:......14.125"

I had a broken spring on the Front-driver corner with the stockers.

After:
Front-Driver side:...14.25"
Front-Pass. side:....14.25"
Rear-Driver side:.....13.5"
Rear-Pass. side:......13.5"

It's been about 10 days since the BAT kit was installed.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/26/05 12:35 AM
Originally posted by alex_96GL:

r u saying u wanna buy your CSVT wheels back? I'm still running them

Cool. I forgot who I sold them to. Do you still like them?

No, I like the size of the rims and with the 235's they have brought my ground clearance back up to the same as the 215/50-16's.

The wheel just fills the wheel well better and I can now see that it is a tad lower in the rear. I'll fix it soon.

Hey, FYI I ended up finding that centercap that was missing when I left Ft. Leonard Wood. I was so sure I sent it to you then I found it in one of my bags three months later.
You did pick one up right?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 05/26/05 12:41 AM
Mine are red also.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 01:36 PM

You can clearly see in every pic posted that the BAT kit is level & even a little raked.

Like here?

Originally posted by R_G:
Before (stock)

After (BAT)

NO DIFFERENCE

Want me to scoop up some more from the search engine? Listen, I don't mean to argue with you, but in just the short time I have been here there has been several unhappy customers with this setup. I am not saying it's everyone. I just made a conclusive comment based on the probability of it happening. If it was up to me, I would not go with BAT simply and easily because of the probability ratio. That's all. For now, I will continue to enjoy my GCs.

XL

For the record the 2nd pic only has BAT struts. H&R fronts, Eibach rears hence the sagging rear. Where LateX got the idea this was a BAT kit is beyond me.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 01:53 PM
Mine are red also.

Mine too!

Durate, your research is extensively wrong, my friend. The only people who gripe about BAT are the ones who only use the springs or the struts... not combined (like Todd said). Ask ANYONE who has the BAT kit (springs and struts) and they will tell you how glad they are to have the kit. I LOVE my bat kit, it probably out handles any of the availble coilovers, struts, etc on the market. True, BAT doesn't SLAM the car like you thugs enjoy, but the CSVT isn't a low rider, its a performance sedan. Overall ride height on mine dropped about 1.15" from stock.

Hell, many people with GC's, KONI's, etc, regret buying them over the BAT kit. However, I dunno, the KONI sport Kit looks pretty good.
Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 01:54 PM
For the record the 2nd pic only has BAT struts. H&R fronts, Eibach rears hence the sagging rear. Where LateX got the idea this was a BAT kit is beyond me.

I thought the main purpose of changing the front springs to H&R on an Eibach setup was to bring the front down to compensate for azz sagging.

Originally posted by mikey boy:

H&R front springs, eibach rear springs, stock struts.

Oh, and I scooped up some more saggin for ya

Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
BAT Kit right here

You just dont give up do ya Toddler
Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 02:01 PM
Originally posted by LilStrypedSVT:
DurateX, your research is extensively wrong, my friend.

All I did was look at images in the Pics & Videos section?

I LOVE my bat kit.

I wont hold it against you. We are still friends!

Hell, many people with GC's, KONI's, etc, regret buying them over the BAT kit. However, I dunno, the KONI sport Kit looks pretty good.

Kinda falling in love with my GC all over again, but to each his own.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 02:01 PM
Th epic of goonzy's car was taken the day of install.

#1. There is no sagging in his pic.
#2. BAT kit takes longer to settle to height, unlike GC' who slam immediatly.
#3. You are the one not giving up. Everyone in this thread has said.. "NO, they don't sag, etc etc."

Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 02:07 PM

#3. You are the one not giving up. Everyone in this thread has said.. "NO, they don't sag, etc etc."

Take dry humor much?
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 02:10 PM

Take dry humor much?

Well... just trying to put you in your place.

No, you're still my buddy. Can I have some of that shiznit you are smokin?!
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 08:09 PM
Anyone else wanna take some measurements like those I posted above?......stryped?

I'm curious to see where it settles at.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 08:13 PM
I'll take some when I get out of work and post em in a few hours.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/01/05 10:09 PM
durateX:

The BAT front springs are ALOT shorter/stiffer than the stockers, so they take awhile to settle fully. Mine looked a bit lifted in front, at first, but now it sits very nice 'n even.

I've also never heard of people complaining about back end sag on BAT springs after they've settled for awhile. Eibachs yes.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/02/05 02:00 AM
Duratex,

Those pics of the black SVT don't look like the proportion is any different than stock. Definitely not exagerated ass-sag IMHO. Maybe you aren't used to the SVT look?
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/02/05 02:54 AM
UPDATE: Durate Smells

anyways, went and measured my ride height.

I am measuring from the ground (level) to teh edge of teh fender.

Front Driver side: 25 1/8"
Front PAssenger Side: 25 1/8"
Rear Drivers side: 25 5/8"
Rear Passenger side: 25 5/8"

There was NOTHING in my trunk or inside the car at teh time. As you can see, right now it has a very slight raked set-up.

Suspension has been on the car for about 10 months.
Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/02/05 01:00 PM

Well how did YOU know I wear cologne from all the way in Michigan?

There was NOTHING in my trunk or inside the car at teh time. As you can see, right now it has a very slight raked set-up.

Wow you went all that way just to prove to me that your car is one of the 9 of 10 Contours on BAT that don't sag? Why you didn't have to, really... I do think your time is better spent getting your post count and cocky levels up though .

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/02/05 03:43 PM

Well how did YOU know I wear cologne from all the way in Michigan?

Wow you went all that way just to prove to me that your car is one of the 9 of 10 Contours on BAT that don't sag? Why you didn't have to, really... I do think your time is better spent getting your post count and cocky levels up though .

Amarv asked me to measure my height since he installed his kit a few days back. The "you smell" comment was just added for drama.

(Enter Durate's Class of Whoring )

Peasants:
Teach us, oh teach us ole' mighty one of the forumns. Thou post count proves thou worthiness of post whore.

Professor Durate:
Well [censored].... you gotta post [censored], talk [censored], and eat [censored].. liek me! w00t. My dope ass civic deserves prime time whorage... not to mention dem ratty ass Cobra R spoilers... You MUST post, maaaaaannnnnnn!!!!

Peasants:
OOoooooOOOOOooohhhh.

Professor Durate:
Daaayyyyum Right! Go now.. flourish the forumns with your useless knowledge and make myself, M-F'in King Durate, proud as a mf'er.

Peasants:
Wow, professor, such wonderful language.

Prfessor Durate
[censored] Yeah!

----------------------------------------------

I'm bored, I know.
Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/02/05 03:54 PM
LMAO, not so bad of a big boy yourself, 4000 posts large!

CEG Empire of penny-a-post posters:
Emperor LilStrypedSVT
King Duratex
And the peasants of the land

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/02/05 03:59 PM
I dunno... it's a toss up. Your posts per day is actually an average of 8.17 where mine is only 7.03. Think you just made Emperor.

Anyways. So once again, you have been proven wrong by the performance of THEE best suspension kit for our cars. Yay BAT!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/02/05 04:04 PM

Oh, and I scooped up some more saggin for ya

Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
BAT Kit right here

You just dont give up do ya Toddler

mine has no sagging what so ever..the whole car looks even to me..that picture is like that cause my car is at an angle on the driveway

Posted By: liquidX Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/02/05 04:10 PM
...so once again, you have been proven wrong by the performance of THEE best suspension kit for our cars. Yay BAT!!

A futile effort to restore peace to the thread... it's inevitable at this point...

XL
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/03/05 02:59 AM
...anyways, went and measured my ride height.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was kind of hoping that you would measure from the wheel centers like I had done since the tire size and inflation can affeect your measurements more. But its good to know that they're so close...some medium subbage in the trunk would level yours out nicely.

And Duratex, give it a rest, the common report from people with the BAT kit is that it just takes a little time to settle...and then it evens out nicely!
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/03/05 03:18 AM
...anyways, went and measured my ride height.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was kind of hoping that you would measure from the wheel centers like I had done since the tire size and inflation can affeect your measurements more. But its good to know that they're so close...some medium subbage in the trunk would level yours out nicely.

And Duratex, give it a rest, the common report from people with the BAT kit is that it just takes a little time to settle...and then it evens out nicely!

Oh, I have subbage in the trunk (two tens and a big box).. no spare tire though.
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/03/05 04:44 PM
"no spare tire though"

what are you running Run-Flat tires?
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: BAT Kit and what else? - 06/03/05 08:59 PM
1. Spare tire will not work, anyways. PUt the car too low to the ground to even consider driving.

2. I carry my trusty AAA card for that reason.. and also a can of that "run flat".
© CEG Archives