Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pole120 got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/04/05 04:05 PM
this is what happens when you keep your mouth shut about an item you find on ebay

aussie bar: $41
Posted By: tropictour Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/04/05 04:22 PM
Sweet deal! I wonder if Stazi will ever make another batch?
-tropictour
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/04/05 05:02 PM
Originally posted by tropictour:
-tropictour

No.

From what I remember his place of work nixed the idea of any more units thus making the few units produced quite rare comparably.

Glad I have one from the first batch.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/04/05 10:36 PM
Remember to box up or reinforce your rear subframe when you put that puppy in, so it does not just break the mounts loose when you play with it.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/04/05 10:43 PM
We would have had a bid war had I decided to buy that item! I almost bought that same bar, but I am happy with my bat bar and dont want to deal with reinforcing anything.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/04/05 10:49 PM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
but I am happy with my bat bar and dont want to deal with reinforcing anything.

Even a stock bar (19mm) with poly bushings has torn out the mounts.

Also the stock mounts are so weak they bend with the stock bar.
ANY setup should have them re-enforced. You are not getting the real benefit of your rear bar when the mounts bend. Especially a larger bar.
Also any time the mounts bend you get erratic rear handling. Very bad!

So do not think you are "safe" just because you do not have an Aussie bar! 'nuff said.
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 12:47 AM
Yeah, what Demon said.
Posted By: NVSVT got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 02:59 AM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Even a stock bar (19mm) with poly bushings has torn out the mounts.

Also the stock mounts are so weak they bend with the stock bar.
ANY setup should have them re-enforced. You are not getting the real benefit of your rear bar when the mounts bend. Especially a larger bar.
Also any time the mounts bend you get erratic rear handling. Very bad!

So do not think you are "safe" just because you do not have an Aussie bar! 'nuff said.

Iâ??m sure glad to hear about this now instead of after Iâ??ve installed my rear bar. Do you have pictures of what the reinforcing should look like?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 03:06 AM
Originally posted by NVSVT:
Iâ??m sure glad to hear about this now instead of after Iâ??ve installed my rear bar. Do you have pictures of what the reinforcing should look like?

It's Not our fault people can't search.

Seriously though. This information has been well known and posted for years now.

There is even at least 1 if not 2 how-tos with pictures on how to box in the subframe. I know one of them has excellent pictures.

It's all there if you look and read.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 05:58 AM
I searched and found very little about boxing in the subframe. I got one post with expired pictures. Somebody help me out. I guess I am not so good with this search function. Before anybody gets mad I would like to say that I searched both the current forums and archives for about 1/2hr.

Once you box it in are the brackets permanently in place? I would like to be able to grease things up or even change sway bars later without rewelding things.
Posted By: NVSVT got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 07:40 AM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
I searched and found very little about boxing in the subframe. I got one post with expired pictures. Somebody help me out. I guess I am not so good with this search function. Before anybody gets mad I would like to say that I searched both the current forums and archives for about 1/2hr.

I hear you. I literally searched for hours and found nothing except posts with expired pictures. Then "DemonSVT� accidentally posted the secret search phrase so after another hour of "searching and reading" I found these.

http://www.pbase.com/cdw27/image/17985728

These are the only pictures that I found, but they should be good enough that a decent shop could duplicate the work on my rear subframe. Good luck.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 07:03 PM
Funny how most of my posts telling people to search have the exact phrase in it that I used searching for the stuff.

I found the posts and pictures in about 1 minute.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 07:07 PM
Originally posted by pole120:
this is what happens when you keep your mouth shut about an item you find on ebay

aussie bar: $41

Exactly why it's extremely annoying that CEGers insist on posting Ebay finds on CEG. Over the years, I've been screwed over more than once because of it.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 07:30 PM
Hey, Pete, should that link (and others) about pix of rear subframe beefing/boxing be added to the reference in the FAQs about rear sway bars and boxing the rear subframe?
Posted By: NVSVT got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/05/05 09:55 PM
Funny how most of my posts telling people to search have the exact phrase in it that I used searching for the stuff.

Thanks for giving me the correct phrase; searching was fruitless (and frustrating) without it. With the correct phrase it was easy to find the information (text), but I had to look at quite a few bad links before I found the pictures.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/06/05 05:20 AM
Thanks for giving me the correct phrase; searching was fruitless (and frustrating) without it.

You are welcome.

I try not to make it too easy sometimes. People have to do some of the work themselves.

I rarely cry "SEARCH" without looking first myself. It doesn't hurt that I can usually remember the exact title or wording of the post though.
Posted By: NVSVT got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/06/05 07:51 AM
I try not to make it too easy sometimes. People have to do some of the work themselves.

That's not a bad thing as I, like you, can now find this information again in just a couple of minutes.

I think the saying "Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day; teach a man to fish and you feed a family for life" applies here.

Now I just need to find a shop that can do the work (on two Contours!). My only hope is probably Shelby Automobiles ($$$$$).

Thanks again.
Posted By: Stazi Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/06/05 07:37 PM
Wow, my invention made it onto eBay even! I am king of the intarweb!
Posted By: Stazi Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/06/05 08:35 PM
-tropictour

No.

From what I remember his place of work nixed the idea of any more units thus making the few units produced quite rare comparably.

ACTUALLY, they would make more but minimum order is 50 units. And I was never able to get 50 people to prepay me to set up another group buy.

Damn tight-arse CEGer's!
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/06/05 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
-tropictour

No.

ACTUALLY, they would make more but minimum order is 50 units. And I was never able to get 50 people to prepay me to set up another group buy.

Damn tight-arse CEGer's!

Damn tight-arse mfg's. 50 units! Up front! Before production! Are they nuts? Make it and they will all get sold, eventually. The "contour community" is a transient population, like a school.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/07/05 12:53 AM
Try the FAQ!

-Andy
Posted By: morbid Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/07/05 03:15 AM
maybe somewhere like BAT or draxxas(?) would be interested in ordering the entire 50 pack or partial amount to supplement the #'s from a gb.

How much $ would each bar be in an order of 50?
Posted By: tropictour Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/07/05 11:52 AM
I would certainly buy one if we got 50 people. But its not gonna happen on CEG. If BAT or another company could buy all 50 then that would be sweet. Oh well
-tropictour
Andy your sig cracks me up.
Reminds me of the Bill engvall heres your sign jokes.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/07/05 02:14 PM
Terry Haines says he did that on the last couple of group buys. (Guess that puts a nail in my theory...)

He might have some left. Ask him.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/07/05 05:30 PM
so exactly how many ausie bars were made?
Posted By: Stazi Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/07/05 06:00 PM
I think around 150 all up. Maybe less.
Posted By: R_G Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/08/05 02:11 AM
I guess we could have put together a GB for 25 people.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/08/05 05:21 AM
Originally posted by R_G:

Hey R G! I got somthing for ya!

don't ask me why..just looked funny
Posted By: Stazi Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/10/05 03:29 PM
Originally posted by R_G:

25 < 50

How does that solve anything?

Get 50 people with money in their hands and you may have a chance. Other than that, I'm sorry, but it aint happening.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/10/05 04:01 PM
LOL! I doubt you'd get 5.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/10/05 09:08 PM
you know what pisses me off? Ebay. and how anytime i find something i want on it, its in the states and they wont ship to canada!
Posted By: mcfast Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/11/05 12:22 AM
I know what you mean!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/11/05 05:32 AM
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
you know what pisses me off? Ebay. and how anytime i find something i want on it, its in the states and they wont ship to canada!

have you ever considdered having a ceg friend in the states have it shipped to them, then shipping it to you? just a thought
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/11/05 05:57 AM
Originally posted by loggerbomb:

have you ever considdered having a ceg friend in the states have it shipped to them, then shipping it to you? just a thought

good though..I live in MA
Posted By: morbid Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/11/05 09:26 PM
yeah... if you find an aussie bar... um, I'll ship it to you, eh... yeah, that's it!
Posted By: NVSVT got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/11/05 10:25 PM
Have you ever considered having a CEG friend in the States have it shipped to them, and then shipping it to you? Just a thought.

Better make that a TRUSTED friend!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/11/05 10:37 PM
Have you ever considered having a CEG friend in the States have it shipped to them, and then shipping it to you? Just a thought.

Better make that a TRUSTED friend!

hey now..what you trying to say here..lol
Posted By: obicanobi0_dup1 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/12/05 03:43 AM
I have had one under my bed for so long, i guess that I should install that thing. I also know of another brand new that is jsut sitting there but that one is a little problem.

It belonded to Dom aka airknight R.I.P

I know he has tons of parts to would be valuable to many people. I have often thought of having a little aution for the parts and giving all the money to his parents but I just didn't know how to approach the situation and just left it alone.
Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/14/05 04:26 AM

i've got a aussie bar but have been to laze to reinforce the rear subframe. i got under the car to take a look at what needed to be done. i desided that its best if i let a shop do it for me. i just sits in my trunk , about 6 months now. one day when i get the aussie bar installed it will be cool . i got the poly mounts just need them installed. thanks for the info on where to get them stazi.

just for sits and giggles how many 24mm aussie bars are out there in the world stazi >? if its only a limited number that will make me feel special. good looking on designing the bar in the first place it looks pretty beefty.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/14/05 05:17 AM
Well, I have one. I am still waiting for TH to email me and say he is ready to do a new Ford part reinforced subframe for me (6 months)!

Actually, I have given up on that. In the past, I welded the brackets with some crude looking reinforcements to my 95 subframe. After I am done moving into my new house and have some garage space, I will fabricate reinforced brackets for my 96. With all the information and pictures available now, I am sure I will do a much better job.

I would honestly still rather pay TH though...
Posted By: Pole120 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/14/05 08:38 AM
Originally posted by 00SVTGA:

just for sits and giggles how many 24mm aussie bars are out there in the world stazi >?

Originally posted by Stazi:
I think around 150 all up. Maybe less.

Posted By: ContourSVT98 Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/15/05 04:13 AM
I wonder why they call it the "AUSSIE" bar. Was it a name brought here from Australia or something? lol.

-dan
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: got me an aussie bar!!! - 01/15/05 04:54 AM
The CEG'er, Stazi, who designed and made it is originally from down under, Australia.
© CEG Archives