Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Goonz SVT Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 07:11 PM
Yea I asked the tire people to check out my possenger side wheel well to see this ratling noise I was getting, they said it was my front sway bar links were broken and I need new bushings, they said $206 is this somthing I could do myself and get the parts by myself?? thanks guys
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 07:24 PM
I would say it's more likely the links than the bushings. The links are cheap from Ford (cheaper than aftermarket!) and it can be done in under an hour if you have the tools, and the nuts aren't rusted.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
I would say it's more likely the links than the bushings. The links are cheap from Ford (cheaper than aftermarket!) and it can be done in under an hour if you have the tools, and the nuts aren't rusted.

well what am I looking at for tools?? like what do I need?
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 07:57 PM
for front links: nothing special. 15mm socket, 17mm open wrench, lots of wd40... may be something else I'm forgetting. remember that both wheels should be off the ground so as not to load the sway bar.

for front sway bar bushings: you will need a lot more mainly because the subframe needs to be lowered. ratchet box wrench will help, but it's gonna be a PITA anyway. 21mm socket, 3" extension, torque wrenche capable of measuring 96 ft-lb just for the subframe bolts. if you replace your bushings w/ stockers you have a hope of sliding old ones out and pushing new back in w/o removing the bracket bolts completely.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 08:40 PM
I do need it for the front ones, all in all how much am I looking at for parts like brushings and links?? Plus the tire person wasnt sure if that would affect my alignment that I just got done today. will it? and second of all, where the hell is the front sway bar?!?!? I have no idea where it is I know I'm patheticc
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 09:19 PM
links are about $17 from Bill Jenkins, iirc. no idea about bushings... I wouldn't bother w/ poly bushings in the front. i would replace the damaged ones w/ stockers. look at this document. picture 7 shows the link disconnected from the strut bracket. trace it down to find the sway bar. none of the items will affect the alignment. and lastly, yes you are
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 09:47 PM
am I suppose to remove the suspension and all or does that stay intact? and in that picture, is the sway bar nut towards the left side back?
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 09:58 PM
you don't have to touch anything else. various pictures which show guts falling out in that document are only there to scare weak-minded

sway bar nut is facing away from you on the picture #8 (locate white plastic star half-hidden behind the outer tie rod - that's the lower end of the link) the nut is behind it
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 10:13 PM
okay so this is what i'm looking at, all that time the rattling in the front was caused by my damaged sway bar links and brushings, now what I hafta replace are my links but only to the front passenger side becuase thats where the rattling and all is. Now, how many links are in one end like how many do I need to order and also how many brushings?? and can I just order them from the ford dealership along with the brushings?? thanks for being patient with me
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 10:23 PM
I kinda knew what I'm getting into

two bushings in all (i'm sure it's a set).

one link per side. I am a a strong proponent of replacing suspension parts in pairs though.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/18/04 11:45 PM
Originally posted by alex_96GL:
I am a a strong proponent of replacing suspension parts in pairs though.

yea then i guess I'll do the whole thing then, thanks for being patient with me man
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/19/04 12:36 AM
by the way, anyone know the part number for the front sway bar links?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/19/04 02:00 AM
nvm, I found it all here I guess I need #15 and #13.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/19/04 03:19 AM
Correct! Two of each.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/19/04 03:23 AM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Correct! Two of each.

I'm soo tight with cash..I only need one so I'm gettin one of each I'll def. change the other too later on..hopefully
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/19/04 03:56 AM
In that case I would get down there and make sure you actually do need the parts your "tire guy" thinks you do. if his comment about alignment is any indication, then I would try to triple check what he says.
Posted By: coatsy Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 11/26/04 12:21 AM
Why is it so many have these cars and are tight on money LOL. I am going through the same thing right now (not money) Suspension issues. I am simply waiting for a warmer day and time to get the parts.
#13 requires a subframe drop. Are you sure you want to pay 300 bucks to install a 10 dollar part? While the suframe is dropped maybe you should replace all of the subframe buishing. I think that there are six.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/03/04 08:13 PM
for installation, does car need to be on load or I can take the tires out??
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/03/04 08:43 PM
links?
both on the ground (more or less level) or both off the ground. probably easier w/ front end up on jack stands and wheels off.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/03/04 08:47 PM
links?
both on the ground (more or less level) or both off the ground. probably easier w/ front end up on jack stands and wheels off.

o ok and I can take the wheel off if the front end is jacked up..right?
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/03/04 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
links?

o ok and I can take the wheel off if the front end is jacked up..right?

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/17/04 05:36 AM
for front links: nothing special. 15mm socket, 17mm open wrench, lots of wd40... may be something else I'm forgetting. remember that both wheels should be off the ground so as not to load the sway bar.

Its not working, The 15mm socket fits fine but the thing does not want to turn. We tried everything, nothing is working. We WD40'd the crap outa it and still the thing does not want to turn. Its as if its welded on We have used soo much torque that its not eating up the edges. This was at night in the garage so we called it the day. Any ideas or suggestions as to what I should try??
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/17/04 06:01 AM
I dunno... use the Force maybe

but seriously you left it sitting overnight, so hopefully wd-40 will work its way in. it should work though. remember that all suspension nuts are using loctite, so they are bound to be stubborn. just use proper tools and you should be ok...

unlike some people
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/17/04 06:10 AM
I dunno... use the Force maybe

but seriously you left it sitting overnight, so hopefully wd-40 will work its way in. it should work though. remember that all suspension nuts are using loctite, so they are bound to be stubborn. just use proper tools and you should be ok...

unlike some people

yea dude we put aaaaalot of force like we almost got the car of the jacks!! thats what worried me, I didn't want to eat up the nut you know, it was doing exactly that. The thing would not move..maybe wd40 will work its way but this sucks!! As for the bushing, dawwm thats a B to get too! We wd40'd that as well and called it the night all pissed off at ford.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/17/04 06:13 PM
we tried a beakobar and everything and still its not comming off
Posted By: Stazi Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/17/04 07:27 PM
WD40 is crap get some PB BLaster, it'll eat away the rust and get into the threads. Also, you really would want to use an impact gun rather than breaker bars.

Secondly the Sway bar link require you to hold the nut at the back once you've lossened it otherwise it'll just spin. IIRC it's a 13mm wrnech that hold the rear flats/nut.
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/17/04 08:36 PM
Stazi, it's 17mm, it's mentioned above and it's clearly not his problem
Posted By: Stazi Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/17/04 08:49 PM
You're right, but anyway, like a I said I would get the car to someone house/work who has an impact gun to tackle that nut, not a cheater bar.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/17/04 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
You're right, but anyway, like a I said I would get the car to someone house/work who has an impact gun to tackle that nut, not a cheater bar.

ok impact gun it will be..round 2 will be tommorow
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Broken Links & Bushings - 12/18/04 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
Originally posted by Stazi:

ok impact gun it will be..round 2 will be tommorow

I'm kinda doubting that an impact gun will work, I put soooo much torque into that nut that it almost ate up all the edges. Wouldn't an impact gun make it worse?
© CEG Archives