Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
1/4 Mile that is

and 0-60

With an MTX
16.8/17 1/4 mile
10.5 0-60

Someone else I'm sure will chime in with more exact numbers.
I'm now runnin high 16's -17.0 with mid to high 9s from 0-60. I thought the fastest zetec was a manual runnin mid 16s. If so thats not much faster than stock.
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
16.8/17 1/4 mile
10.5 0-60

Someone else I'm sure will chime in with more exact numbers.

Joe was high/mid 17's stock.
I was low 17's stock.
Thats not a bad time for a 130HP Stock inline 4. But I cant race my car, no Tach, I have to run purely by MPH or Engine sound, and I can do it pretty well, but I dont like to run my car hard, trying to make it last a long time.
i ran a 16.7 my first time out with a drop in k&n
and mobil 1 in the crankcase
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
Thats not a bad time for a 130HP Stock inline 4. But I cant race my car, no Tach, I have to run purely by MPH or Engine sound, and I can do it pretty well, but I dont like to run my car hard, trying to make it last a long time.

You need to install a tach like this........

Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Originally posted by AliasJerk:

You need to install a tach like this........

Yeah, because our cars are race cars and that is much classier than just swapping in an instrument cluster that has a tach. The Big Tach Mod is especially important for atx owners.
the only downside of that is if you don't know how to swap the odometer too...I'd like to keep my current milage

plus how cool is a shift light

just shift your car by mph...thats what I do...

1st = 35
2nd = 60
3rd = 90
4th = 110 or whatever...

thats all u need to know...
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:

Very cool, ON A DRAG CAR. You can install a shift light anyways without having a gigantic tach, you can then hide this light behind an a/c vent so you don't look retarded. You can also install a smaller tach in a better place, like the coin holder.
I ran a 17.1 completly stock with 150 kms on the car. Not really all that bad for a stock inline 4. The best thing about it was I beat the protege 5 I was up against.
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Very cool, ON A DRAG CAR. You can install a shift light anyways without having a gigantic tach, you can then hide this light behind an a/c vent so you don't look retarded. You can also install a smaller tach in a better place, like the coin holder.

the picture posted didn't look like a monster tach to me

that looked like a respectable size tach...something that wouldn't get you called a ricer.
Anything that is mounted on the dash,etc. when there are better options (like just swapping a cluster or a mini-tach in the change holder) is sorta ricey (though I really am not one to talk). This especially applies to atx cars.
Originally posted by 4banganda5spd:

Black 96 Zetec Mtx
Mods: CTA Intake, Opt.TB, MSD Blaster Coil, Tranny
Cocktail, Polyurethane glue gooped front trans mount, Chopped Muffler w/clamped turn down
r/t .661
60' 2.475
1/8 10.550 @ 67.94mph
1/4 16.319 @ 84.64mph

Not to jump on you, but how the hell are you running a very low 16.3 1/4 mile with those mods?
At 2800 lbs. (on the light side for a Contour) a car would require 160bhp.
Your mods have not given you 30HP.
I have many more mods (tuned chip, oil cooler, true cat-back exhaus, true CAI, UDP, and cam gears) and I have plenty of practice and I am running at my best a low 16.4s.
IIRC he ran that 16.3 stock...

Maybe he has a freak Zetec...

Did he drop in a stock SVT Focus Zetec?
Cuz that's the only way a 'stock' Zetec is running a 16.3 in a Contour.
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
I was low 17's stock.

all depends on the track you run at

the same week I was running mid 17's I was running mid 16's else where.

Black 96 Zetec Mtx
Cocktail, Polyurethane glue gooped front trans mount, Chopped Muffler w/clamped turn down
r/t .661
60' 2.475
1/8 10.550 @ 67.94mph
1/4 16.319 @ 84.64mph

Not to jump on you, but how the hell are you running a very low 16.3 1/4 mile with those mods?
I have many more mods (tuned chip, oil cooler, true cat-back exhaus, true CAI, UDP, and cam gears) and I have plenty of practice and I am running at my best a low 16.4s.

like I said not all tracks are created equal but I don't say I ran a mid 16 ever.... cause I know the track sucks and is known for it's fast times. my times are not as good as I could make them be.
the only downside of that is if you don't know how to swap the odometer too...I'd like to keep my current milage

that can be changed into the new cluster the milage part is the same in the tach and non tach gauges... I didn't bother with mine since the cluster I got was only 3000 miles more than what I had so I didn't take the time to swap them.

Did he drop in a stock SVT Focus Zetec?
Cuz that's the only way a 'stock' Zetec is running a 16.3 in a Contour.

either way, with a 2.4 60' foot time that could've easily been lower
yeah a LONG time...I have a zx2 thats slow
Originally posted by ZetecRacing:

that can be changed into the new cluster the milage part is the same in the tach and non tach gauges... I didn't bother with mine since the cluster I got was only 3000 miles more than what I had so I didn't take the time to swap them.

but you have to know how though...

unless its really that simple.

Black 96 Zetec Mtx
r/t .661
60' 2.475
1/8 10.550 @ 67.94mph
1/4 16.319 @ 84.64mph

16.7 was stock, 16.3 with mods
well for one, its an mtx,
also i ran at raceway park in englishtown nj which is a great track, below sea level , in good conditions, pulled out passenger and back seats as well as spare tire, jack, etc. from the trunk and quarter tank of gas, and powershifted the 1-2 shift
using 2900 lb. guess for weight, i figured about 137 hp at the motor using the formula based on mph which states
HP=(MPH/234)CUBED X WEIGHT
Even at a notoriously fast track those times are a bit suspect.
well they are real times, i'll try to borrow a digital camera and post the timeslip
whats really gonna burn your biscut is when im popping 15.9's after custom exhaust, spec stage 1 and fidanza aluminum flywheel.
well they are real times, i'll try to borrow a digital camera and post the timeslip
whats really gonna burn your biscut is when im popping 15.9's after custom exhaust, spec stage 1 and fidanza aluminum flywheel.

like I said it doesn't mean too much..... each track is different. change elevations for one.... get a different track layout... not all straight lines were created equal.
I've read a post on the Focus forums of a guy who had a aluminum flywheel who went slower in the 1/4 than with the stock flywheel. Lighter flywheel sounds good, but in accelleration, the heavier flywheel may take a bit longer to spin up, but when it's spun up it uses it's heavier mass to help keep it moving and you'll accelerate faster than with a lighter flywheel. It's all in the momentum, a heavier flywheel has more.
Originally posted by Seawulf:
I've read a post on the Focus forums of a guy who had a aluminum flywheel who went slower in the 1/4 than with the stock flywheel. Lighter flywheel sounds good, but in accelleration, the heavier flywheel may take a bit longer to spin up, but when it's spun up it uses it's heavier mass to help keep it moving and you'll accelerate faster than with a lighter flywheel. It's all in the momentum, a heavier flywheel has more.

and that's the never ending debate on go lighter or stay stock that is talked about with every car.

and that's the never ending debate on go lighter or stay stock that is talked about with every car.

I had alittle over 3lbs shaved from around the center of the flywheel. Made (I think) a very slightly noticable difference in 1st gear, no changes anywhere else, not that I was expectinh much. But I didn't want to go with a full light weight flywheel, I wanted to keep as much rotational mass along the outer areas of the flywheel as possible.

Please post those 15's times in the Dyno & Drag forum when they happen.
Even at a notoriously fast track those times are a bit suspect.

what about a notoriously fast track combined with a notoriously fast driver? (insert humble body language here)i have to admit that at the track i do shift with no concern for clutch or trans. longevity... gotta drive the wheels off it!!

like I said it doesn't mean too much..... each track is different. change elevations for one.... get a different track layout... not all straight lines were created equal.

true statement, agreed
i have been lucky enough to have a great track and have always ran in pretty close to ideal conditions

i have heard similar stories before, and the debate continues. however one of the reasons for the flywheel purchase is bottom end longevity. the tour is going to my younger brother when he is ready to buy it and the aluminum wheel puts less stress on the crank and associated bearings, caps, etc. nonetheless, its already being shipped and i will let you all know what happens after i get 'er installed.

true statement, agreed
i have been lucky enough to have a great track and have always ran in pretty close to ideal conditions

the time is BS for the car so the track is "crap" and doesn't mean much of anything to me.... just as my time stock that was a mid 16 modded on a great track IE Route 66 in Joliet IL I was upper 16's last time I ran... but I do worry about my tranny breaking... cause I also know it's not easy to find a pre 98 MTX75 and not cheap to install one either.
With the new HMS preped trans I'm hoping to cut a tenth or two off my time. I'd like to see a 16.0xx time (that looks so pathetic typed out).

They are cheap to install if you do it yourself.
I helped the shop that did my install so I could learn how to do it, and I can say with confidence that I hope I never have to do it.
I am upgrading & rebuilding my old trans just incase.
Will probably buy another engine too since they are so cheap.
That's my plan if something ever goes wrong with my car. Get a job at a shop, learn a few things, and build the engine up in spare time then drop it in. I don't think I'd do the tranny, though of course if I worked at a shop, atleast I'd be helping to put it in and save a little money.

true statement, agreed

the time is BS for the car so the track is "crap" and doesn't mean much of anything to me.... just as my time stock that was a mid 16 modded on a great track IE Route 66 in Joliet IL I was upper 16's last time I ran... but I do worry about my tranny breaking... cause I also know it's not easy to find a pre 98 MTX75 and not cheap to install one either.

what?
maybe an attempted thread lock?
i BS you not,.. all true stories come out of this camp, and maybe a few dry jokes.
i BS you not,.. all true stories come out of this camp, and maybe a few dry jokes.

Time slip?
tried scanning it at my brothers girlfriends house and we couldnt get that to work right. however we did take several pictures with her digital camera. what do i need to know about posting photos on this website? ive seen some people try to put pictures up only to see an x on the screen where the picture is supposed to be.
You just need to find a place to host the pics.
If you have a cardomain site, thats the best place.
Or else geocites, snapfish, etc.
I gots 16.67 with spare, a 40lb hitch and at least 1/2 tank of gas, completely stock.

3rd time trying

Stupid rotational mass 17's and under 30 mph bog CTA, I've never gotten any better than my first track day
thats really good for stock . right about what i got my first time out with the tour. i didnt have a hitch but i did have a 45 lb. box w/sub and amp, 3/4 tank gas and factory issue firestones. looks like if you grab a set of 15 in. rims and a few bolt-ons we'd be runnig about the same. good looking car by the way.
thats really good for stock . right about what i got my first time out with the tour. i didnt have a hitch but i did have a 45 lb. box w/sub and amp, 3/4 tank gas and factory issue firestones. looks like if you grab a set of 15 in. rims and a few bolt-ons we'd be runnig about the same. good looking car by the way.

Actually my times with the 17's were in the 17 sec range, no better. My 15" 8 spoke sport wheels were on when I got that time. When I get my car back on the road, I hope to be sporting some new gear. While it's out-for-the-count what should I do to it? I'll search some more but would porting or milling the head be worth it, or an UDP? I've got time to go slow so is there anything that would be good to replace whilst I'm "In" my engine???
(sorry to jack the thread)
Quote:

would porting the head be worth it

Sure, for upper horsepower, it will kill low end torque, though. Not really a bad thing sometimes, but the Zetec doesnt have much torque anyway.

Time slip?

there you go man. got this time with a REAL shallow stage. ran against a mini cooper S with a smaller blower pulley and some other minor stuff. he's run faster than that before too. it was kinda cool till about the 60' when he just drove away from me from there on out.
© CEG Archives