Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: anthonyconstant zetec engine parts - 08/22/03 11:45 PM
ok guys i just ordered
1...ford racing 9mm plug wires
2.....UDP crank pulley
3....overdrive pulley for alternator

my intake is being made and almost have a header bought....what else can i buy besides the adjustable cam gears(cause my mechanic said there too hard to put and and a waste of time) can i buy while i have the zetec engine out of the car?? does anyone make any other pulleys????? or if you know were i can buy a header for a contour zetec, focus or cougar for under 250 dollars????

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/22/03 11:52 PM
Originally posted by anthonyconstant:
what else can i buy besides the adjustable cam gears(cause my mechanic said there too hard to put and and a waste of time)

1 find a better mechanic..... hard to put on when the engine is out of the car WTF is that that would make it easy to put them on and waste of time WTF.... have you seen D Davis' dyno before and after the cam gears?

2 if cam gears are too hard then I can suggest nothing else to do to your car that would be easy other than a cip for the computer.

header for under $250 well that might be doable..... but you will still be spending about that much to have it modded to fit a contour.
Posted By: anthonyconstant Re: zetec engine parts - 08/23/03 12:13 AM
maybe he meant cams? cause you can see the camgears when the hood is poped?no? arent they right above the crank pulley and run off the same belt?

the header i need cause working with the rusted exhaust manifold will be a [censored] to weld....you have any sites for a cheap header i just need one temporary for NOPI cause i am going turbo after that...
Posted By: LUK A LYK Re: zetec engine parts - 08/23/03 04:19 AM
maybe he meant cams? cause you can see the camgears when the hood is poped?no? arent they right above the crank pulley and run off the same belt?

the header i need cause working with the rusted exhaust manifold will be a [censored] to weld....you have any sites for a cheap header i just need one temporary for NOPI cause i am going turbo after that...

no they do not run off the same belt. you have two belts in the car. your timing belt, which the cams use and your serpentine belt which goes with your crank pulley.

speaking of timing belts guys...i think its time for a new one for me. Mine is walking and is hitting something in the engine bay. (sorry to hijack but this seemed like a good place to bring this up) where can i get one and how much are they? I know they are expensive but I'm just wondering if I could find one cheaper than I've seen. Let me know.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/23/03 05:22 AM

well get the cam gears off and it's not much more work to remove the cams..... any if he says that cams are not worth it again FIND A NEW MECHANIC, or better yet take and automotive class or two and be your own.
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: zetec engine parts - 08/23/03 05:57 AM
Engine out..? Aluminum flywheel and New clutch.
Posted By: anthonyconstant Re: zetec engine parts - 08/23/03 06:23 AM
Originally posted by WestCoastAjax:

yes the engine and trans are setting on the floor...its an automatic....any direct links to the item would be great.....i am glad this site is here lots of info on an engine i am ignorant on..lol
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: zetec engine parts - 08/24/03 07:05 AM
Originally posted by WestCoastAjax:

...its an automatic....

Posted By: anthonyconstant Re: zetec engine parts - 08/24/03 08:47 PM
so what kind of gains can you expect from cam gears(am i right in assuming theres two? cause zx2tuner sells one, while CTA sells them in pairs) can i use the cam gears with turbo...what is the best degree to set them at??? any one have any pics of there engine bay with the cam gears?
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/24/03 11:49 PM
Setting the gears with a dyno is the only accurate method.
Not using a dyno, you will never know just how much you gained or lost, if you set them wrong.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 08/25/03 12:55 AM
Generally speaking,
advancing the intake gear 1-2 degrees,
and retarding the exhaust cam the same amount,
will net some gains.
You can also try setting them at the drag strip,
but only if your a very consistent driver.
Dyno is really the way it should be done,
but I would dyno cam & cam gears at the same time.
Just install the gears at 0,0 for now.
Posted By: anthonyconstant Re: zetec engine parts - 08/25/03 06:05 AM
so can they be used with turbo....probally just checking

whats the average you contours set your intake and exhaust cams? what kind of gains do you see
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/25/03 03:58 PM
Got the cam gears from Focus Central (had them in red). Had them at 0,0 for now set them at +10,+10 and there is a noticable difference in low and mid range power. Waiting for more mods before I spend the $100 an hour to tune them.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 08/25/03 06:25 PM
+10 on both gears for my car makes it run like sh*t.
-10 on both, samething.
Definatel yget cams before tuning cam gears,
and yeas they can be used with a turbo.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/25/03 06:30 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
+10 on both gears for my car makes it run like sh*t.
-10 on both, samething.
Definatel yget cams before tuning cam gears,
and yeas they can be used with a turbo.

You have a chip correct?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 08/25/03 06:36 PM
Yep.
Posted By: anthonyconstant Re: zetec engine parts - 08/27/03 03:31 AM
so you guys would recommend getting new cams with the cam gears? what kind of gains should i see with the cams? and where do i go to get rods and pistons for this engine? i need something strong enough for 18 psi....
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 08/27/03 03:46 PM
At 18PSI, you'll need a stronger block as well.
Esslinger makes just about everything for our engine,
but it is pricey.
No reason to pay to have cam gears tuned ($50-$100 per hour) untill you get cams.
I would expect a 15+HP gain with both.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/27/03 04:23 PM
At 18PSI, you'll need a stronger block as well.
Esslinger makes just about everything for our engine,
but it is pricey.
No reason to pay to have cam gears tuned ($50-$100 per hour) untill you get cams.
I would expect a 15+HP gain with both.

I need more HP!
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 08/27/03 07:51 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZ:
I need more HP!

Don't we all!

I got my set of cams sitting in my garage.
Won't be going in for quite awhile though.
Still in need of;
stage 1 Esslinger head,
ported 2001 Focus intake manifold,
and a header.
Dyno tune & reburn chip, and calling it quits.
And of coure maybe a few little things here and there.
Should be ~215 crank HP.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/28/03 12:35 AM
I need more HP!

Don't we all!

Still in need of;
stage 1 Esslinger head,
and a header.
Should be ~215 crank HP.

And that is one Zetec I can't wait to see in person! Good luck, dude.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 08/28/03 01:34 AM
+nitrous = 280hp or more
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 08/28/03 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
+nitrous = 280hp or more

And I plan on expanding to a 2 stage system.
35HP shot to help the car get going,
and 75HP once I've got full traction.

I'm hoping for low 13's.

Ported intake manifold has been ordered.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 08/28/03 03:28 AM
What? A zetec beat all the 3L, turbo, supercharged, nitrous duratecs.
Posted By: Lonely_soul82_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/28/03 03:30 AM
Quote:

speaking of timing belts guys...i think its time for a new one for me. Mine is walking and is hitting something in the engine bay. (sorry to hijack but this seemed like a good place to bring this up) where can i get one and how much are they? I know they are expensive but I'm just wondering if I could find one cheaper than I've seen. Let me know.

At Pep Boys, we have them for about $25.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/28/03 06:25 AM
I need more HP!

Don't we all!

Still in need of;
stage 1 Esslinger head,
and a header.
Should be ~215 crank HP.

Very nice!
Posted By: ness1216 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/29/03 11:29 PM
Hi Cougar owner here... I was told my fellow Cougar owners on NECO that a focus manifold would not bolt up to our block. I am hoping it works cause you get nice gains from one. Keep me updated please.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/30/03 07:39 AM
Originally posted by ness1216:
Hi Cougar owner here... I was told my fellow Cougar owners on NECO that a focus manifold would not bolt up to our block. I am hoping it works cause you get nice gains from one. Keep me updated please.

It is a stock Focus manifold....just the 2000 one from the Focus is much better design wise.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 08/30/03 05:53 PM

It is a stock Focus manifold....just the 2000 one from the Focus is much better design wise.

For us pre 98 Zetecs we have to disable and remove the EGR system, which is going to cause a Contour Enthusiast Light.
For post 98 Zetecs, its a drop in.
A Focus TB (aftermarket 65mm) will be needed for both post and pre 98s.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec engine parts - 08/30/03 07:33 PM

For us pre 98 Zetecs we have to disable and remove the EGR system, which is going to cause a Contour Enthusiast Light.
For post 98 Zetecs, its a drop in.
A Focus TB (aftermarket 65mm) will be needed for both post and pre 98s.

Why? The Focus has an EGR not a VCT.
Posted By: SmaartAasSaabr Re: zetec engine parts - 08/31/03 01:46 AM
I have a probably good exhaust manifold from mine.

Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 08/31/03 02:28 AM
Why? The Focus has an EGR not a VCT.

I didn't see an EGR hook-up on the manifold.
All the easier then, alright!
Posted By: TronX Re: zetec engine parts - 08/31/03 03:39 AM
You should avoid the VCT at all cost.
I'm about to take my car to a shop and
have them take a look at mine.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/02/03 05:24 AM
...Contour Enthusiast Light.

ROTFLMAO!!! That is the best. I gotta remember that one.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/02/03 03:20 PM
Originally posted by TronX:
You should avoid the VCT at all cost.
I'm about to take my car to a shop and
have them take a look at mine.

Just get cam gears.
Posted By: anthonyconstant Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 12:15 AM
anyone got any pics of hooked up zetec engines...were the cam pulleys are visible?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 01:28 AM
Here's a close up pic of my cam gears;

And here's my engine bay (it has changed a bit from this pic);
Posted By: anthonyconstant Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 03:15 AM

oh the engine i pulled, where your cam pulleys are...theres a black shield...is that normal...do you take off the shield for looks? do you have a picture from the right side on the engine, like during a show would the cam pulleys be very noticeable.....did you paint your valve cover chrome
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 04:18 AM
The black sheild is on all the motors, SleeperZ pulled his off to show the cam gears. The valve cover might not be painted, I've seen 'em in all colors and finishes so it's possible he just really scrubbed his; but I bet he knows for sure.
Posted By: anthonyconstant Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
The black sheild is on all the motors, SleeperZ pulled his off to show the cam gears. The valve cover might not be painted, I've seen 'em in all colors and finishes so it's possible he just really scrubbed his; but I bet he knows for sure.

so if i pull the black shield off of mine what would i be showing off? and i am not sure cause my engine is at the shop but dont you have to take off all the pulleys to take off the black shield, like crank, alternator ect ect
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 04:18 PM
all you gotta do to take off the cam gear cover it remove 2 screws and the come right off.
Posted By: tymeks Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 06:24 PM
The Zetec doesn't have a a dowel or anything to set the cams in place from the factory. So they all came a little different(+ or - a few degrees). Thats why you have to get them tuned on a dyno in order to know your gains. So one guys settings would be completely different than the next guys settings. It's not like the civics were you can set your gears based on your mods.

And in order to take your cam gears off you hvae to bascially remove your cams. I mean you'll be like two steps away from taking the cams out so you mine as well get some better cams. I had the FR stage 3 and the Crowers stage 2 and they both pulled very nice. The FR3's pulled harder in the low end but the crowers pulled all the way to 8100 were I shifted.

Either way cam gears take about 30 min to swap out with or without cams. Very easy job. get a better mechaninc.
Posted By: tymeks Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 06:37 PM
Originally posted by LoCoChick:
I need more HP!

Don't we all!

Still in need of;
stage 1 Esslinger head,
and a header.
Should be ~215 crank HP.

And that is one Zetec I can't wait to see in person! Good luck, dude.

I had the stage 2 head from Focus Central, FR stage 3 cams, ported 2000 intake manifold, cam gears, Focus central header and flex pipe, custom 2.5 inch cat back, true ram air intake with ram air hood, custom chip with 24lb injectors, pro flow maf, Focus Central 70 mm Throttle Body, and raised the compression to about 10.75. And I hit 167 hp to the wheels and 152 ft-lb to the wheels. I ran a 14.9 at the track. This was on the focus though and not in a contour. But I thought the engine was pretty similar. The contour zetec must have more hp than the focus zetec did I guess. I'm still learning about the differences between the two. But I built my focus motor from the ground up. So if you can hit 215 crank hp with just that then that would be sweet and you could have one hell of a 'tour.

Good luck
Posted By: IonNinja Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 08:33 PM
actuallyyyyy Foci zetecs have more HP

zetec contours only come with 125 & 130 HP

that is a lot of engine mods...there needs to be an easier way out. Why can't we have something equivalent to an H22 or something to swap in?

that doesn't make sense...167HP and 152 TQ and you ran a 14.9

Do SVT Contours not respond well to mods or what?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 09/13/03 09:30 PM
actually 98+ contours have 130hp as well, just an intake design change.... and I can't really reply to the rest of your thread because I'm pretty sure you didn't even read what that guy said.
Posted By: IonNinja Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 12:01 AM
actually 98+ contours have 130hp as well, just an intake design change.... and I can't really reply to the rest of your thread because I'm pretty sure you didn't even read what that guy said.

nope I just randomly posted for no reason at all...especially about the 167HP and 152TQ, totally random numbers off the top of my head.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 02:54 AM
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:

yeah they do respond well to mods however they are not a light as a Focus.
Posted By: IonNinja Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 03:21 AM
Originally posted by ZetecRacing:

i thought they were all around the same weight...2900-3000? give or take a little
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 04:31 AM

i thought they were all around the same weight...2900-3000? give or take a little

are you nuts???? a focus sedan is lighter than a non SVT tour... let alone a SVT with the bigger front and rear bumper the leather interior and the power seats... take a AX3 and the weight differance is even more.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 05:05 AM

that is a lot of engine mods...there needs to be an easier way out. Why can't we have something equivalent to an H22 or something to swap in?

1.You've been registered for nearly a year and still don't realize foci and contour zetecs have the same HP?

2.H22 have more horsepower, not a lot more torque, and the only reason they make civics,accords,preludes so fast is because of how light the cars are. MAny of the other typical engine swaps for hondas just get up to our stock HP level.

3.What doesn't make sense about his time?

4.We're talking about zetecs here.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 06:03 AM
My manual still says 125 Hp and 130 ft/lbs
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 06:08 AM
What year is your's? It doesn't matter what it says... I've seen crate zetecs listed as 127hp. But whatever they truly put out at the crank, all 98+ zetecs, be it a contour, zx2, cougar, focus, or whatever else put out the same amount of HP.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 06:18 AM
Hope so, not like this ISSUE, hasn't been fully resolved. I'm a 98.0
Posted By: IonNinja Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 11:12 AM

1.You've been registered for nearly a year and still don't realize foci and contour zetecs have the same HP?

2.H22 have more horsepower, not a lot more torque, and the only reason they make civics,accords,preludes so fast is because of how light the cars are. MAny of the other typical engine swaps for hondas just get up to our stock HP level.

3.What doesn't make sense about his time?

4.We're talking about zetecs here.

since when do Foci and zetec tours have the same HP?

just because we're talking about zetecs does not mean I cant refer to other engines...the only reason I said that is because of all the work he put into his Focus and he only got up to 167HP, I'm just saying there should be a much easier way of getting HP (ex. engine swap) for the zetecs

I was also comparing his Focus to SVT times

Whats not making sense about that.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 04:03 PM
1.Since the Focus was made

2.The zetec engine and a H22 engine are two completely different things, we don't need engine swaps,etc. We have turbos available and superchargers available that put out plenty of power. He got 167fwhp which isn't too bad, with just a little bit more work and some good custom tuning, that number could jump a good bit.

3.Why? I didn't see you comparing any times, so you ask if svt contours just don't take well to mods or something... but no direct comparison. But they're too completely different vehicles,,, compare them if you want, but they're not really comparable.
Posted By: tymeks Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 06:23 PM
Allright guys. The h22 isn't that much better than the zetec engine sotck for stock. They put out more hp but about the same in tourque. I don't know the exact numbers but it's not that far off. And like KTF said we don't need engine swaps cause we got turbos and superchargers and stuff like that. 167 and 152 doesn't sound like a lot but it was damn fast(definitly faster than my CSVT). It's hard to believe because we are all used to seeing these over inflated numbers from compenies for there products. Like this intake get 7 hp and this exhaust gets 5hp and and this header gets 10 hp and these cams get 15 hp, in the real world it just doesn't work like that. I'm not giving any names of companys I'm just giving a general idea. After all that I did put the Focus Central intake manifold on but I never got it dynoed. But from what I can tell I lost a few TQ's and gained a bunch of HP's up top. And I did have a custom burned chip. The most hp I've seen on pump gas from a N/A Zetec is only in the high 170's low 180's. But the driveablity sucked so I'm not sure that really counts as a streetable car. Now notice I say "PUMP GAS" meaning 93 octane or lower. There are plenty of racing N/A zetecs running aroung with 200 HP but there using race gas. If anybody doesn't believe my numbers or those numbers are what you get from those mods then you should hop on over to www.focaljet.com It's a very big website dedicated to the zetec and the focus.
All in all I just trying to compare what I had done to the zetec to what he was about to do to his zetec and try and give him a general idea of his hp outcome. Didn't mean to start a war, just wanted to spread some info.
Posted By: Monstour Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Lonely_soul82:
Quote:

At Pep Boys, we have them for about $25.

Does anyone know exactly what changing ur timing belt would do
Posted By: Monstour Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 09:16 PM

Actually the foci comes standard w/110hp and an 130hp option. The tour comes w/ 125hp and 130tq
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Monstour:
Actually the foci comes standard w/110hp and an 130hp option. The tour comes w/ 125hp and 130tq

Actually you are only part right... kremit was correct...
pre 98 Zetec contour 125hp 130tq post 98 Zetec 130hp 135tq

the focus base engine is NOT a Zetec it's the SPI 2.0 single over head cam which yes it's only 110HP it is only offered in the sedan and wagon not in the ZX3.
Posted By: Monstour Re: zetec engine parts - 09/14/03 11:36 PM

Actually you are only part right... kremit was correct...
pre 98 Zetec contour 125hp 130tq post 98 Zetec 130hp 135tq

I was getting my information from cars.com and it said that the 99 contour has 125hp and 130tq, is that website wrong? Should I be claiming 5 more hp and tq?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 12:09 AM
edmunds.com, cars.com, carpoint,etc. often have wrong information, yes you should be claiming more. And changing your timing belt is only needed if your current timing belt is getting worn. It keeps your engine in time (keeps cams at right spots to open the valves) and runs the water pump (on pre98s anyways).
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 01:05 AM
and runs the water pump (on pre98s anyways).

my accessory belt runs my water pump
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 01:13 AM
crap i forget, maybe mine does too? but you it, crap i'm forgetful, yeah mines does too, right, i think, long day, aahhhhhhhhhhhh
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 01:17 AM
Posted By: daniel Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 03:21 AM

I have a 98.5 zetec and I noticed that mine has a cover that goes over the plug boots on the valve covers with a sensor that runs through it. Is it because of the difference in years? Is my zetec different than his? If so what has changed? I have seen a few zetecs but never one with the cover and sensor like mine.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 03:33 AM
You have VCT, do a search on it. It's on 98+ zetec contours and ,as I've stated before, slows you down 20% as compare to a pre98 zetec.
Posted By: Monstour Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 05:17 AM
You have VCT, do a search on it. It's on 98+ zetec contours and ,as I've stated before, slows you down 20% as compare to a pre98 zetec.

So does that mean all of us w/ VCT should find a shop that can take it off or should we be doin something different
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 05:21 AM

So does that mean all of us w/ VCT should find a shop that can take it off or should we be doin something different

ignore the child.

what the little boy is trying to say is VCT is not a good thing for mods.... it doesn't respond to mods like a non VCT Zetec does.

to remove it is not an easy thing, you can't just flip a switch.
Posted By: tymeks Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 07:35 AM
I believe the VCT was for emissions purposes. Zetecs with VCT don't have an EGR setup.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 07:57 AM
Originally posted by tymeks:
I believe the VCT was for emissions purposes. Zetecs with VCT don't have an EGR setup.

correct
Posted By: BOSS122_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 01:05 PM

The early 2000 Focus mainfold is a stock ZX2 manifold with the EGR plug removed to hook up to the Focus EGR system.
Posted By: BOSS122_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 01:10 PM
What year is your's? It doesn't matter what it says... I've seen crate zetecs listed as 127hp. But whatever they truly put out at the crank, all 98+ zetecs, be it a contour, zx2, cougar, focus, or whatever else put out the same amount of HP.

Not true. The ZX2 haS different cam lift and duration than the Contour, Escapr, and Focus. Its been measured before by a ZX2 owner that took the cams to a shop to have their lift and duration mesaured. The stock ZX2 intake cam is similar in lift to a Crower Stage 2 intake cam for the FOcus.
Posted By: BOSS122_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 01:14 PM
so what kind of gains can you expect from cam gears(am i right in assuming theres two? cause zx2tuner sells one, while CTA sells them in pairs) can i use the cam gears with turbo...what is the best degree to set them at??? any one have any pics of there engine bay with the cam gears?

When I added cam gears to my '00 ZX2 I gained 9 HP at the wheels peak and a lot more power past 6000 RPM. Between adding the FZRacing header, AF/X UDP, and adjsutable cam gears, my ZX2 gained 19 HP at 5700 RPM and 58 HP at 7000 RPM. Instead of the horsepower dropping off past 6100 RPM, it stayed level.
Posted By: Monstour Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 07:50 PM

ignore the child.

what the little boy is trying to say is VCT is not a good thing for mods.... it doesn't respond to mods like a non VCT Zetec does.

to remove it is not an easy thing, you can't just flip a switch.

So what mods wouldn,t take well with the VCT
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/15/03 11:03 PM
So what mods wouldn,t take well with the VCT

you don't see to fully understand casue of the VCT anymod doesn't give the same gainas as ir does on a non VCT Zetec... they will all work but not to the same degree.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 09/16/03 01:45 AM
Originally posted by BOSS122:
Not true. The ZX2 haS different cam lift and duration than the Contour, Escapr, and Focus. Its been measured before by a ZX2 owner that took the cams to a shop to have their lift and duration mesaured. The stock ZX2 intake cam is similar in lift to a Crower Stage 2 intake cam for the FOcus.

Show me published specs of this.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec engine parts - 09/16/03 02:53 AM

I've seen the same thing, except not sure if the lift is similar to the crower cams, I just know it's different on a zx2 than on our cars or foci, just shifts the power band.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/16/03 04:48 AM

I think this guy is blowing smoke up or azz
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/16/03 05:02 AM
Time to whore!

Posted By: BOSS122_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/16/03 12:58 PM

Open up a Ford shop manual for the ZX2 and compare the specs the Focus or Contour shop manual. I have the offical Ford shop manual on CD at home for 1999 or 2001 and in both of them it lists the ZX2 as having 0.367" lift intake cams. The ZX2 has more lift and duration on the cams because the VCT system allows it to still meet LEV specs while having more aggressive cams.

I can do printscreens of the pages from the shop manual tonight if you want to see them.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec engine parts - 09/16/03 04:37 PM

Open up a Ford shop manual for the ZX2 and compare the specs the Focus or Contour shop manual. I have the offical Ford shop manual on CD at home for 1999 or 2001 and in both of them it lists the ZX2 as having 0.367" lift intake cams. The ZX2 has more lift and duration on the cams because the VCT system allows it to still meet LEV specs while having more aggressive cams.

I can do printscreens of the pages from the shop manual tonight if you want to see them.

Please do,
the Ford CD (1999) I have doesn't have the same numbers.
Can you do both the intake and exhaust cam specs?
Posted By: BOSS122_dup1 Re: zetec engine parts - 09/16/03 09:27 PM
Here is the 2001 ZX2 shop manual's info on the ZX2's cam specs. The '99 ZX2 shop manual says the same thing.

Here are the results of the ZX2 cam specs when the cam was taken to an automotive machine shop to be measured. Rob Greene of the ZXTuner store had these tests done on his '99 ZX2's cam.

Crower's catalog lists the same Focus stock cam specs as the printed shop manual does:
Crower's Online Catalog
The printer Focus and Cougar shop manuals have the same specs. The one on CD doesn't list the lift of the stock Focus and Cougar cams.
Intake lift 0.346"
Exhaust lift 0.341"
Intake Duration @0.050 206 degrees
Exhaust Duration @0.050 205 degrees

I'm trying to find my copy of my '99 Ford shop manual on CD to Find the '99 model year Contour and Cougar cam specs. I think they are similar to the Focus and not the ZX2.
© CEG Archives