Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: MotorCity Here I am - 04/18/03 04:46 PM
Well after all these months of bashing the zetec, I decided to join the crowd.

I bought an SVT Focus. I don't plan on doing much to it until the warranty is up and then its turbocharger or supercharger time!

I am tempted to get the new Jackson Racing supercharger for the SVTF but I don't want to void my warranty. Its only about $2700 and bumps the wheel hp up to about 205 with a mild 5 psi boost. With that power increase you don't have to do much to beef the car up.

Anyhow, I am part of the Zetec club now (duratec to zetec).
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 05:04 PM
Originally posted by MotorCity:

tee tee tee tee tuum tuum tuummm

Can you fell it ???

NOW u fell it ....
NOW u fell it ....

(I wish I could give a link to this old techno song... most of you guys probably know it)

Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 05:08 PM
So I guess you are going to be the Zetec Guy now !!

We have these Zetecs competing to have the fastest zetec around but now you are in charge !!

Posted By: The Davis Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 05:12 PM
Haha - if we included Foci, ZX2s and Cougars our Zetecs would be scrambling to stay out last place
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 06:29 PM
True that D... Zetec tours are slow...compared to zx2's cougars and focus.....oh well.what can ya do
Posted By: The Davis Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 06:38 PM
Not much but try. However, I've heard the ZX2 MTX-75 has different gearing more suitable to acceleration than top speed - hmmmmmmmmmm
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 08:43 PM
Originally posted by D Davis:
Haha - if we included Foci, ZX2s and Cougars our Zetecs would be scrambling to stay out last place

Wait, are zetec Cougars really any faster than zetec Tours? If so, why?
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 09:08 PM
Not much but try.

Nothing wrong with a good challenge.
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 11:02 PM
I feel like I am joining the darkside.

"Luke, I am your father."
Posted By: The Davis Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:

I don't know for sure. Of all the ones I mentioned above, the Cougar is probably closest to us in slowness 'cause it isn't exactly a light vehicle, either.
Posted By: sigma Re: Here I am - 04/18/03 11:33 PM
Well, the coefficient of drag can have an exponential increase (or some complicated terminology -- I'm an engineer, but not that kind) in the amount of power it takes to move an automobile. And the Cougar is certainly a far more aerodynamic car than the Contour.

For every day driving it doesn't matter, and probably doesn't affect too terribly much in a 1/4 mile drag. But I imagine that aerodynamic design makes a huge difference over 75MPH.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 03:14 AM

I bought an SVT Focus. I don't plan on doing much to it until the warranty is up and then its turbocharger or supercharger time!

I am tempted to get the new Jackson Racing supercharger for the SVTF but I don't want to void my warranty. Its only about $2700 and bumps the wheel hp up to about 205 with a mild 5 psi boost. With that power increase you don't have to do much to beef the car up.

You should be able to get a J/R supercharger for your Focus without voiding your warranty. J/R is with Ford Racing.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 05:23 AM
Not much but try. However, I've heard the ZX2 MTX-75 has different gearing more suitable to acceleration than top speed - hmmmmmmmmmm

PSSSSSS guess what darrel the ZX2 doesn't have a MTX-75 compleatly diffferent tranny which might I add is worse than the two variations of the MTX-75 meaning pre and post 98
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 05:24 AM
Originally posted by LoCoZ2.0:

You should be able to get a J/R supercharger for your Focus without voiding your warranty. J/R is with Ford Racing.

that is true but it has to be instaled by the deal to not void the warrenty
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 07:03 AM
Originally posted by ZetecRacing:

I'd gladly let the dealer install that.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 07:34 AM

I'd gladly let the dealer install that.

I don't think I would let a dealer come within 5 feet of my car for a s/c install. But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: And that would be my 1000 post. Thank you very much.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 07:57 AM
Originally posted by LoCoChick'95:

guess that makes you offically a whore

post whore that is
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 07:58 AM
I don't think I would let a dealer come within 5 feet of my car for a s/c install. But that's just my opinion.

depends on the dealership around here as to if I would let them
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 05:39 PM

guess that makes you offically a whore

post whore that is

Posted By: The Davis Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 07:41 PM
PSSSSSS guess what darrel the ZX2 doesn't have a MTX-75 compleatly diffferent tranny which might I add is worse than the two variations of the MTX-75 meaning pre and post 98

Really? I didn't know that
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 08:17 PM

Really? I didn't know that

Yeah...the Focus with the SPI engine has a different trans too. Not the MTX-75. I am guess this is the other one your referring too.

I have none of the above. I have a Getrag 6 speed.
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 09:00 PM
The Cougar's coefficient of drag is 0.32, the Contour's is 0.31. The Zetec Cougar's base weight is 2900 or more, the Contour's can be as low as 2769.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/19/03 11:23 PM
Why yes, yes it does.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Here I am - 04/20/03 04:53 AM
the Contour's can be as low as 2769.

i know they say that, but what contour ever came w/o a hood, power locks, and an interior?
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Here I am - 04/20/03 05:44 AM

they also have a speed limiter that kix n at 112 MPH... at least on the 1999's

they also have a speed limiter that kix in at 112 MPH... at least on the 1999's

because Cougars are Lighter!!!!!!!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Here I am - 04/20/03 05:45 AM
my speed limiter (when i had one) kicked in at 112mph.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: Here I am - 04/20/03 07:02 AM
Originally posted by 1fast95tour:

no they are not lighter... they cougar is about the same as a contour. now a ZX2 is MUCH lighter than the contour.
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 04:26 AM
oh...i assumed they were cuz they are smaller, guess when you assume things u make an ass of yourself
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 04:28 AM
oh...i assumed they were cuz they are smaller, guess when you assume things u make an ass of yourself

Doh!
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 05:43 AM
i want a focus zetec engine in my car
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 08:08 PM
why???
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
why???

I think he meant the SVT Focus Zetec.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 08:30 PM
why??? again, wouldn't it be cheaper to moddify his engine and get more power.
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 08:47 PM
I guess it depends how much you would get it for. It comes with about 40 more HP from the get go and strengthened internals.
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 10:33 PM

Um, every source I can find says Cougars are heavier.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/21/03 10:43 PM
Sell your car and get an FSVT.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Here I am - 04/22/03 05:22 AM
Sell your car and get an FSVT.

That makes the most sense.
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Here I am - 04/22/03 03:52 PM

Um, every source I can find says Cougars are heavier.

i realize that now, somebody already corrected me.
Posted By: blury Re: Here I am - 04/22/03 06:46 PM
DONT DO THE SC!! the JRSC sucks there is turbo kit for it and there is suposed to be a screw type SC avalible for it in the next year. The JRSC is worthless and has been for a while. They were the first ones a FI product for the focus but haven fallen way behind. If you would like you could PM me and i will give the adress to the focus site im on. They have a lot of info these. I would post it but dont want to advertise another site on this one. You probably know it anyway.
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Here I am - 04/22/03 07:28 PM
I would consider the JRSC kit for the SVT. They actually just came out with it as it is specific for the SVT. I like it because it is just a mild boost, reliable, affordable, and wouldn't need to beef up the car very much.

Sure they have some more SVT kits coming out that are far more powerful but I am not sure if I am ready to beef up the whole car. I will see what is going on when I have the money saved up.

I do go to the Focal Jet and a few other sites.

Posted By: blury Re: Here I am - 04/22/03 07:33 PM
I wasnt reffering to FJ thats cool. If the JRSC will fit your needs thats great, but if your like me youll get it and say wow this 5 psi i wonder what 10psi would be like it and so goes the money
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Here I am - 04/22/03 07:46 PM
Lol. I was wondering if Kenne Bell is going to come out with one with the different impellar system. That looked interesting and it could be intercooled but it seems to be majorly delayed which is fine for me.

What was the other site? MyFordFocus.com?
Posted By: blury Re: Here I am - 04/22/03 08:04 PM
Well theres 2 so one more hurt. No its clubfocus.net Im blury over there also.
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/23/03 01:43 AM
I don't see what's so bad about Jackson Racing's supercharger... it's the same Eaton screw used by Mercedes, right?

There's a simple reason why someone might be happy with 5 PSI: because going to 10 PSI costs three times as much.

I bet the Eaton blower can be hacked to give greater boost anyway, by messing with the pressure relief valve... of course, how long it runs without something breaking might be measured in weeks, or even in minutes...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Here I am - 04/23/03 04:52 AM
I would consider the JRSC kit for the SVT. They actually just came out with it as it is specific for the SVT. I like it because it is just a mild boost, reliable, affordable, and wouldn't need to beef up the car very much.

Sure they have some more SVT kits coming out that are far more powerful but I am not sure if I am ready to beef up the whole car. I will see what is going on when I have the money saved up.

I do go to the Focal Jet and a few other sites.

Wasn't like something around 205Hp to the wheels?
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Here I am - 04/23/03 12:16 PM
Yep it looks like the JRSC is putting the SVT at about 200-205 at the wheels right now.
Posted By: blury Re: Here I am - 04/23/03 03:06 PM
I don't see what's so bad about Jackson Racing's supercharger... it's the same Eaton screw used by Mercedes, right?

There's a simple reason why someone might be happy with 5 PSI: because going to 10 PSI costs three times as much.

I bet the Eaton blower can be hacked to give greater boost anyway, by messing with the pressure relief valve... of course, how long it runs without something breaking might be measured in weeks, or even in minutes...

Because there is no adjusting that can be done to the boost without new pulleys. there is no intercooler for them and no Nitrous set up (that i know of) for them yet. Plus they weigh about 3 times that of a full turbo setup and cost the same. Im just saying turbo = more power for same money and is a little bit more driveable than the SC just a little not much. Plus you can go Small or big turbo whenever you want. If you eant a small boost you can but later on if you decide you want more you can adjust or change turbo units a lot cheaper than the SC
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Here I am - 04/23/03 03:11 PM
Originally posted by blury:

Because there is no adjusting that can be done to the boost without new pulleys. there is no intercooler for them and no Nitrous set up (that i know of) for them yet. Plus they weigh about 3 times that of a full turbo setup and cost the same. Im just saying turbo = more power for same money and is a little bit more driveable than the SC just a little not much. Plus you can go Small or big turbo whenever you want. If you eant a small boost you can but later on if you decide you want more you can adjust or change turbo units a lot cheaper than the SC

You'd be running BARELY any boost from a TC because of the high compression of the FSVT engine. What would be the point? JRSC is already made for the FSVT.
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Here I am - 04/23/03 04:10 PM
Which turbo system is cheaper then $2700-$2800(price of JRSC)? I will be a happy man if there is.

Is there a turbo for the SVT yet?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Here I am - 04/23/03 08:25 PM
i guy i know with non svt focus said he's dropping in a supercharged zetec and will also be using nitrous. not sure if it'll all happen, but he's done atleast $5k worth of work to his car already (none to the engine).
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: Here I am - 04/23/03 11:30 PM
Originally posted by blury:
I don't see what's so bad about Jackson Racing's supercharger...

First, changing pulleys is hardly a big obstacle, is it? And screw superchargers actually tend to produce extra boost that has to be bled off by a relief valve, do they not? I'm pretty sure the Kenne Bell designs do that.

And as for cost, I think it's been settled in past discussion that a typical no-frills TC setup is likely to cost about $1000 more than a JRSC, even if the first price you see on paper looks closer. The fact that you don't have to mess with the exhaust manifold and downpipe saves a lot of hassle.

Being limited to lower boost levels is no problem if you've decided in advance that you don't want to rebuild the entire engine at huge expense.

I still dream of making an electric compressor powered by a starter motor. Like a SC without the belt drag on the engine (especially if you use an alternator cutoff). Unfortunately one would need, like, a 400 amp motor controller, and those ain't too cheap...

Oh how I wish that standard car electricity was like 48 or 96 volts instead of 12.

Hell, if I listen to my wallet the thing to do would be to just stick NOS in it without bothering to develop the engine's potential first.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: Here I am - 04/24/03 12:28 AM
I see nobody really knows too much about the Jackson SC
they co developed it with ford.
there is more than 1 pulley avaliable for it.
jackson makes a VERY good fuel management system for their SC.
If I had a focus I would get this over any turbo setup.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Here I am - 04/24/03 04:37 AM
I see nobody really knows too much about the Jackson SC
they co developed it with ford.
there is more than 1 pulley avaliable for it.
jackson makes a VERY good fuel management system for their SC.
If I had a focus I would get this over any turbo setup.

Me too.
© CEG Archives