Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: tourman113 Short ram Question - 03/03/03 04:56 PM
Hey, I just installed a short ram intake(custome made) and it sounds really good but it seems like it hurt my low end.Like when I start from the line it seems like it takes for ever to wind up. Is it possible that my intake hurt performance?I used 3" piping and all of my sensors are connected to the stock air box pieces.I used the piece that holds the IAT sensor but i capped off that paddle shaped resonator that connects to it.Then i used the MAF.Those two things are attached to a 90 degree bent pipe about 18 inches long.I don't understand.An example of my problem is for instance...My friend has a 95 V6 explorer with a removed resonator. We used to always line up and see who was faster but everytime it ended in a stalemate...we were always exactly the same. After i put on my intake...we lined up again just to see how much it helped. He beat me through first so bad it was like i was standing still. At about 50 or 60 mph he was 2 to 3 car lengths in head of me...If anyone has a good informative reply i would love to hear it..I just don't want anyone coming on here saying..street racing is forbidden on the forums because i know...we raced on the track.Thanks guys
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/03/03 05:50 PM
Ummm, why was the post moved..for me this is trouble...thats why it was origionaly in the trouble shooting section...I have a Zetec also...so why was this moved to the duratec performance section. Hmmm, can anyone at least move it to the Zetec forum...that is if it has to be moved.
Posted By: wontgrowup_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/03/03 06:29 PM
the only thing I can think of is the combination of piping actually is losing you HP as it takes awhile for the air to be drawn through it. I used to have a 93 Sentra SE-R (quick little 4 banger!!) with a "tuned" CAI and actually had a pipe that decreased in size as it got towards the throttle body, speeding up the air flow....Just an FYI
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/03/03 07:24 PM
Do ya think my zetec could be gasping for air?It seems like its straining trying to wind out. Hmmmm, top end seems to be ok,its just low end thats giving me shite
Posted By: wontgrowup_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/03/03 07:28 PM
I think the way you have you pipe arranged is making the engine "work" too much to take in the air charge....i think you'd be better served with just an open element and a heat shield.....However, I see alot of 2.0 Zetec intakes up on the net....maybe you could "copy" one of those???
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/03/03 07:33 PM
Have you ever seen the street flight CAI protoype for the zetecs? Mine looks like that but with an open element filter by the fender wall.I couldn't make a cold air...stupid fuse box was in the way.Hmmm, D Davis said that the street flight CAI made 10 HP!!!!! Hmmm, i am confused
Posted By: lsneo Re: Short ram Question - 03/03/03 10:23 PM
maybe the car is now sucking in more hot air than cold air.
Posted By: Stolon #05 Re: Short ram Question - 03/03/03 10:58 PM
If you have done everything correctly, and have no air leaks, it is most likely that you killed the low end because of the engine overworking to take in air as previously stated. I've done my own setup similar to what you have described, making a ram air setup into the stock air box, although my results were a bit different and the getup and go off the line was a tad bit worse but at speed, it was definately a lot better than stock although I burned through a half tank of gas after only 70 miles of some spirited interstate driving.
But think of it like this. You have a vacuum cleaner and w/ a short hose it has great suction. Same vaccum w/ a hose twice the length, the suction decreases and continues to do so as the hose gets longer. The engine is the same when it is starting from a stop. The shorter the intake tubing, the more air getting in. So the ram actually hurts the performance until you get up to speed enough for air to be forced in.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Short ram Question - 03/04/03 12:34 AM
like i said before, my ghetto intake had better low end than the CTA intake i'm guessing due to the fact that I used smaller pipe and it was a little more restricted and had less heat inducted.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/04/03 12:36 AM
Well, my short ram is almost exactly as long as the CTA intake...but without the s bend that the CTA has.Wouldn't that be better for the engine...you know less bends? Hmmm,i don't understand how the street flight CAI made 10 Hp on the dyno while mine is exactly the same except for the pipe going into the fender wall(how the hell did they get a 3" pipe in there).I know short rams tend to become subject to heat soak. I feel like my top end is ok,it seems to feel a little more powerful but you know how modding goes...even if the mod didn't do you any good....your brain tricks you into thinking your car is faster...I could be fooled by the loud ass noise that the thing makes .All i definatley know is that i am a lot slower off the line and it makes me very discouraged.I spent a lot of time planning this and a lot of money buying things for this intake and as far as i am concerned...it was a disaster Hmmm,do you think that i should use a smaller pipe? I don't know how the MAF would fit if i did, even if it did fit,i would think that i would hurt my top end. Did anyone notice anything similar when you bought the CTA intake?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Short ram Question - 03/04/03 12:39 AM
they cut the opening to get 3" piping to fit. also that 10hp they gained may have been all top end and it too could be slower off the line. and the heat soak is a MAJOR difference in your intake and the streetflight intake.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/04/03 12:47 AM
Thats a good point.I thought that the street flight gave D Davis a 1 second faster 0-60...i believe i read that somewhere...At 60 MPH 1 second =20 feet. I think it would be possible to gain that much. So technically if he raced his contour stock, against his contour with the Street flight he would be 20 feet in head of the stock contour at the finishline...? is this right in theory....any input...i could be wrong.
Posted By: The Davis Re: Short ram Question - 03/04/03 04:11 PM
Eh, hold on. Let me clarify a couple things.

I have never measured 0-60 in my car - whether it be before or after the Street Flight CAI. I have never claimed an increase in anything other than horsepower.

Now, I did see an 11 HP increase, but you have to take something into consideration. I didn't baseline my car with a truly stock intake. I had already hacked up my intake (removed the resonator, pulled the junk from the fenderwell and enlarged the air inlet hole) before I ever heard of Street Flight.

My "baseline" dyno with my former setup netted 111 HP and 118 TQ. After the CAI it put down 122 HP and 125 TQ. It isn't all at peak, either. I think a stock Zetec will put down between 100 & 105 HP.

I've shown the dyno graphs before, but I'll put them up again for speculation.

...and tourman, the reason the gains are as good as they are is because a lot of math went into getting the length X inner diameter correct.

EDIT: Before anyone tries to be coy, both of those runs are with no performance mods other than intake. The exhaust wasn't on yet, the FPR wasn't on yet, the TB wasn't optimized yet, etc. I put the CAI on my car, I made about 20 HP over stock...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Short ram Question - 03/04/03 06:26 PM
Originally posted by D Davis:
Eh, hold on. Let me clarify a couple things.

I have never measured 0-60 in my car - whether it be before or after the Street Flight CAI. I have never claimed an increase in anything other than horsepower.

Now, I did see an 11 HP increase, but you have to take something into consideration. I didn't baseline my car with a truly stock intake. I had already hacked up my intake (removed the resonator, pulled the junk from the fenderwell and enlarged the air inlet hole) before I ever heard of Street Flight.

My "baseline" dyno with my former setup netted 111 HP and 118 TQ. After the CAI it put down 122 HP and 125 TQ. It isn't all at peak, either. I think a stock Zetec will put down between 100 & 105 HP.

I've shown the dyno graphs before, but I'll put them up again for speculation.

...and tourman, the reason the gains are as good as they are is because a lot of math went into getting the length X inner diameter correct.

EDIT: Before anyone tries to be coy, both of those runs are with no performance mods other than intake. The exhaust wasn't on yet, the FPR wasn't on yet, the TB wasn't optimized yet, etc. I put the CAI on my car, I made about 20 HP over stock...

What was your previous setup?
Posted By: The Davis Re: Short ram Question - 03/04/03 07:07 PM
I had already hacked up my stock intake (removed the resonator, pulled the junk from the fenderwell and enlarged the air inlet hole) before I ever heard of Street Flight.

Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/07/03 07:45 AM
I don't think there's any way that a big pipe on the intake, no matter how weird, could cost you that much power, at the low end or at any end. Something is wrong. My first guess would be unmetered air getting around the maf, or perhaps a vacuum leak. Maybe the MAF is contaminated with gunk. Or maybe birds have made a nest inside that pipe.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Short ram Question - 03/09/03 03:06 AM
the reason the gains are as good as they are is because a lot of math went into getting the length X inner diameter correct.

That's the hard part (one of them anyway) about designing a truely effective intake.
I'm getting closer though!
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/09/03 06:18 AM
Hey guys, i have been thinking...do you think my car was giving me problems because it couldn't push out all the extra air fast enough...thats why it only started working when my RPM's got higher? like for instance if i had my resonator removed or something...that might help my engine suck as it blows....(get your minds out of the gutter ) What do you guys think?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Short ram Question - 03/09/03 06:24 AM
freeing u'r exhaust up some will definitely help. maybe not a whole lot, but it'll help some. if i was me and could go back in time in a large time traveling device involving electromagnetic gyroscopes, then i would have just cut off my muffler and left the resonator until i could afford a real exhaust, which i will be affording in a few months.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/10/03 05:24 AM
You know whats funny about my situation....I put my stock air assembly back on and immediately, my low end is back and my car runs so smooth....What the hell is that supposed to mean? Thats not normal is it? I am afraid to get the CTA because this problem may occur again...Thats 150 bucks down the toilet....I am lost...My car doesn't like mods...that sucks..stupid thing
Posted By: The Davis Re: Short ram Question - 03/10/03 04:02 PM
Originally posted by tourman113:
You know whats funny about my situation....I put my stock air assembly back on and immediately, my low end is back and my car runs so smooth....What the hell is that supposed to mean? Thats not normal is it? I am afraid to get the CTA because this problem may occur again...Thats 150 bucks down the toilet....I am lost...My car doesn't like mods...that sucks..stupid thing

Tourman...gut it the way I described in the PM I sent you
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Short ram Question - 03/10/03 09:27 PM
CTA will lose a little low end compared to say any modded intake other than stock, but the mid to high end is better than anything else available, and if installed correctly, the car will run fine.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/10/03 11:15 PM
Low end is what i want most? Isn't that the most important part in a race is the start? Races only last about 10 seconds. I always thought an intake would help low end more than top end....Yeah D i did gut it the way you told me to. It was cool but i still had a huge loss of low end. Maybe i should do like Sleeper said and use 2.5"pipeing instead. I am just afraid i would lose top end if i did that(damn i am picky )...What do you think?
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/11/03 12:44 AM
The only way you are goin to gain the low end is if you do your exhaust. Intake changes will more than likely only change your mid/upper rpm range, unless you are doing more than intake piping...
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/11/03 01:14 AM
I guess its inevitable....i must do my exhaust first.....i gotta wait till i get some more$$$$$$...I am in college if you know how that goes. I want something that doesn't sound like angry bee's or any other type of small angry animal(not directed towards you hector , i like your car). Got any suggestions...I can't believe i don't know what i am going to do for exhaust yet..its been talked about so much. If i was going to do duels(strictly for the look)how would i arrange the piping so that i would keep the sound quality of whatever resonator i choose,magnaflow,dynomax,flowmaster? I want 3" tips...what do you think...If i get duels will everyone flame me and tell me its "rice" So i guess intakes hurt low end slightly but if i get my exhaust done it will fix my low end? I hope so...thanks guys I have pics of my intake if anyone wants to see them.....I would actually like someone to host them for me...Then everyone could see it. Thanks again everyone.
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/11/03 01:43 AM
Yes, I have a focus ZX3 as well, and the Borla exhaust I got for it just made good power on the bottom end and silly crazy pulling power on the mid/upper range, and the intake that I put on it just helpe add to the mid/upper range, and I didnt notice any slack on my lower end, so I am guessing the exhaust would do the same on your tour zetec.

If I were you, I would more than likely get the Brullen exhaust that is goin on. And for the quasi-dual setup you are talking about, it would be totally for looks, and nothing for performance, however if you do, I would ask to get it just like the SVT routes it and get the extra hanger and put it on the passenger side at the same location as the SVTs...
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/11/03 03:03 AM
Ok, i was thinking about some kind of custom job but i guess i could get a used SVT exhaust and replace the resonators with magnaflow or something..then i will just have the guy at the shop put tips on it for me...If I do go the SVT route...would it be best to take the rear mufflers off and replace them with something else? I have so many questions, sorry if i am talking your heads off, i am just excited because i may have solved my intake problem. I really do like the Brullen system..I was thinking of getting it but i am very short on money..I won't have it in enough time to get in on the group buy so i will just get it from Performance fords. I'll get the quiet system with 3" tips. Oh, i love the way their tips look too.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Short ram Question - 03/11/03 06:27 AM
Loose low end, gain mid range power. That is why you rev it up a little when drag racing.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/11/03 08:03 PM
Anyone wanna host some pics for me....That is if you wanna see my intake.
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/11/03 08:40 PM
Originally posted by tourman113:
Anyone wanna host some pics for me....That is if you wanna see my intake.

email them to:

bborges79@hotmail.com

Compress them to 30% - 40% Jpeg.

It is a hotmail account. Max 1Mg.

I'll post them to you. Create an album I mean, I cannot directly post pictures.
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/11/03 10:21 PM
Jims' Intake:

http://www.pbase.com/ics/intake

Wanna see more Intakes ??

Here is mine:

http://www.pbase.com/bborges/zetec_cta
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/12/03 12:09 AM
What do you guys think? I don't tkink it turned out to be too ugly concidering it was an experimental sort of thing. I really love the way the CTA looks though....its so....shiny Before anyone asks, i will tell everyone what that little knob is doing there before the MAF. I used the stock peice of intake tube that housed the IAT sensor. I just cut the paddle shaped resonator off and capped it off....literally with a cap...from leather treatment spray...it snapped on top of the hole like it was meant to be there so i just epoxy'd the damn thing and painted it. The pipe is was too hard to drill into...(anyone tried cutting 300 aluminized steel with a hack saw ) my blisters tell the story quite well. Any comments are welcome good or bad. I have never been flamed before so i am interested in what people will say.
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/12/03 12:41 AM
looks good broman!
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/12/03 01:04 AM
thanks man...hey didn't you say that you were making one too? Hurry up and get some pics so i can steal your design Just kidding man, i am just curious to see how 2.5" piping works out...You could be right about it, i would definately like to find out for sure.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/12/03 06:59 AM
ummmm, i guess no one liked it....Oh well back to the drawing board Thanks for the comment sleeper. If this was for sale, how much do you think someone would pay for it? Minus the little Cap thing sticking out in front of the MAF. Just curious...I may begin making these for people who want a custom intake, if the price is good for both me and the buyer....You can contact lsneo also because he is my partner in crime Our web site is coming along quite well. Anyone interested?
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/12/03 07:18 AM
I like it. Looks good
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Short ram Question - 03/12/03 08:07 AM
Looks good.
Better than how my first ram air intake looked.
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/13/03 03:01 AM
Here is mine.. 3" piping...

Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/13/03 06:29 AM
Hey, I really like that..Its nice and shiny. How did it sound...That little accordian thing right before the throttle body is interesting...Where did you get that 90 degree bend from? Wow, It looks really good
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/13/03 07:24 AM
I like that intake also. Is that an open hole just after the MAF?
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Short ram Question - 03/13/03 07:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing...although he may have just put something in there to close it up.
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/14/03 03:01 AM
Yeah, that is where my IAT sensor went. I just didnt have it in when I took that picture. But that accordian thing was taken out when I relocated the crankcase filter, and replaced with a silicone connector, so the two metal pipings touch and dont interfere with flow.

That intake is loud as shizzles on the contour zetec!!! OMG, I am soo in love with that thing on my car... still makes me wanna drool. And the throttle response is unbelieveable! very good make, if I dont say so myself..
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/14/03 05:00 AM
It looks fantastic, smoothy! Nice work on the custom intakes, ya'll.
Posted By: sosaudio1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/15/03 06:45 AM
The only thing...The ONLY thing I would change about your set up is the cap thingy on the IAT tube. Smooth that out too. What I did on mine was to smooth the tube down and then put a rubber piping coupler from Lowes or somewhere on it...You may be running into a small prob where the air hits that area and gets restricted slightly. Intakes need to be as smooth as you can get them. That intake that you have is dead on! Good work!

You said you ceram coated it...How many layers of paint did you use? One? Two? I would put a few layers on to make sure that the paint does what it is intended to do.

I like the post that someone put about the varying of the tube sizes from large to small. That is how mine is and it seems....seems to produce good results. But if you do think about it, it does make sense and I have thought this for a while...take the anology of water in a hose. Put a cool turnable nozzle on it. Turn the water up and leave it alone, open the nozzle some and note the pressure. Keep going until you go to that fanning thing that they do...see, even though the water was at a certain velocity, you made it flow faster by adding compression and squeezing it out of the nozzle...got boost? Now again, it is just a theory of mine but hey. And again, I wouldn't say that this was as good as a turbo or SC but hey it makes sense. So for me, when I redesign mine, I will start with 3 inch because that is what the MAF opening and the IAT tube openings are, down to 2.5 to the TB which maybe around 2 and a nice 90 degree SLAM into the TB!!!!

Mine is probably the most ghetto of the ghetto intakes right now LOL! The reason, I reused some of the stuff like the accordian tube...which I busted a band clamp on tonite after replacing a second MAF in a AutoZone Parking Lot! WooHoo...so much for done in 15 minutes.

Time to rebuild....

L8R
Rich
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/15/03 05:07 PM
sounds pretty good. But remember... water has different properties and flows than air!
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Short ram Question - 03/15/03 06:32 PM
For the purpose of air flow, fluid dynamics can be used.
So when designing an intake, air flow has the same properties as water flow. Differences begin to appear between the two when pressure and temperature are added into the mix. Since a T/C or S/C is not being considered in the design then pressure has no real bearing on the design. So the major design concern is about having the coolest possible air flow intow the intake. The time and effort involved in tuning the intake (without tuning the exhaust as well) just doesn't have enough gains to worry about.
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/15/03 07:58 PM
remember with RamAir... every 100mph worth of forced air= 1psi....
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/15/03 09:18 PM
Originally posted by smoothy:
remember with RamAir... every 100mph worth of forced air= 1psi....

Actually, I think you get 1 PSI at 100 MPH, and 4 PSI at 200 MPH... and 1/4 PSI at 50 MPH. Proportional to the square of the speed. So if you want 30 PSI, you only have to go about 550 MPH, not 3000 MPH.
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Short ram Question - 03/15/03 09:21 PM
yes how true... yet another post i fudged up cause of wording!
© CEG Archives