Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 10:52 PM
.... Weeeeeeeee!!!!

i recoated them with 1200 degree paint... just as an extra.. BLING BLING tho, and they fit
Posted By: The Davis Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 10:55 PM
They fit?! WTF? I thought nothing fit this car w/out lotsa work...
Posted By: tourman113 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 11:00 PM
Holy shizzle on my nizzle....they fit....i am jealous.....and there was no work involved... I thought the zetec tour was a complicated and hopeless case when it came to headers...what is the name of the place that they came from......I am going to copy you
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 11:02 PM
they fit great, the only thing was i had to shove them from the underside around that stupid piping that comes in front of the old one, u know that bent metal tube that bolts to the old manifold, whatever it is, i have no idea, but... i did a test fit, and they work. now all i gotta do is wait for em to dry, jam em in there again, and i'm in business.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 11:06 PM
where did you get them and how much?
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 11:13 PM
Are those the Edelbroc headers? Do they bolt right up to the cat?
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 11:30 PM
Originally posted by tourman113:
where did you get them and how much?

ebay, JBA headers, paid 128.94
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 11:36 PM
So it does bolt directly to the Cat with no mod?
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/15/03 11:40 PM
lol what cat?
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 12:09 AM
Darn, i want to know if these will bolt up to the stock CAt. Emmisions tests here in the lovely state of Illinois.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 12:30 AM
Well i just checked out JBA's web site. They are the focus zetec headers and are $329. I guess e-bay is the best way to buy. Its better than the remus headers for 1000 and something dollars If I knew for sure that it fit directly to the cat then i would buy it. How did you eliminate your cat...just a strait pipe to fill in the space?
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 12:53 AM
Yeppers, but not a good idea if your state has Emmissions testing like here in Illinois.
Thats whay I want to see if the Focus Cat and Contour cat are the same.
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 01:06 AM
Originally posted by tourman113:
Well i just checked out JBA's web site. They are the focus zetec headers and are $329. I guess e-bay is the best way to buy. Its better than the remus headers for 1000 and something dollars If I knew for sure that it fit directly to the cat then i would buy it. How did you eliminate your cat...just a strait pipe to fill in the space?

on the original manifold , my dad made a template of the original manifold opening, used a plasma cutter to cut a new flange out of steel, drilled the 4 holes, made a gasket, welded a custom pipe to the flange. same way this one is being done , custom flange and pipe.
Posted By: TBoomer Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 02:09 AM
So you're saying this isn't a direct bolt-on?
Sorry...my garage english isn't very good.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 03:03 AM
So its not a direct bolt on?
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 03:40 AM
the header itself goes on, yes. but i had to make a flange and downpipe for it.

unless u wanna spend 109 bux for the ZX3 downpipe with a flange, which is basically the SAME thing i made, for like $8 and does the SAME thing then be my guest. the ZX3 one MUST be hacked up to fit because of the dumb bends in it.

you can buy it here, dumb pipe or, u can wait till i post pics of my flange and pipe, and decide if u want a header or not, and i can make you one for less + shipping. your choice.
Posted By: TBoomer Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 03:57 AM
I think you need to hurry up and get that made and pics up..you'll have some money coming your way!
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 04:51 AM
i'll be selling the ORIGINAL manifold pipe / flange for $5 + shipping, it looks ragged, but ill aluminum paint it if anyone wants it,bolts on without cat. it works. but weird looking.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 05:54 AM
Not a bolt-on....big surprise. Mine fit fine too....except to the rest of the exhaust. I just hope you don't have the same problems as every other ZX2 or Focus.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 06:36 AM
Originally posted by bk4293:
Darn, i want to know if these will bolt up to the stock CAt. Emmisions tests here in the lovely state of Illinois.

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
emmission test here is just an OBD II check if no CEL you pass
I passed mine with flying colors and will continue to do so
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 06:37 AM
I also can't see how that would fit in so easy being how tight of a fit it is for hector's
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 07:38 AM
Originally posted by ZetecRacing:

I heard that, but I'm sure if they hear me coming in with exaust mods they're gonna check to see if my Cats in place. But still no one knows if it bolts directly to the cat or not? I take the statement above as the cat was removed before trying to fit the header. There are ZX3 and ZX5 headers on Ebay for $150.00, looks like the same setup, just different manufacturers.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 07:43 AM

I heard that, but I'm sure if they hear me coming in with exaust mods they're gonna check to see if my Cats in place. But still no one knows if it bolts directly to the cat or not? I take the statement above as the cat was removed before trying to fit the header. There are ZX3 and ZX5 headers on Ebay for $150.00, looks like the same setup, just different manufacturers.

my car isn't exactly quiet and I took the test with my current exaust setup...
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 07:48 AM
But did they check to see if your cats were in place?
Posted By: tourman113 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 07:35 PM
sounds good...i would drop a check in the mail for a custom downpipe as long as it costs significantly less that the focus one for $109. I will let you know as soon as i see the pics.
Posted By: Locster Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/16/03 07:56 PM

my car isn't exactly quiet and I took the test with my current exaust setup...

Ya are lucky. Here in Cali they just changed the smog checks from the one that goes in the tail pipe and reads your emmisions to a full dynostic
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/17/03 01:07 AM
But did they check to see if your cats were in place?

nope and I bet they wouldn't even think to look for it in the stock location either
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/17/03 01:58 AM
emission checks??? what are those? i think less than 20 of georgia's 100+ counties have testing.
Posted By: Locster Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/17/03 07:53 PM
Emission checks are a pain in the butt. Every 2 years you have to do it unless it is 3years old or newer. Count yourself lucky. I have to pull my intake and install the factory intake for smog checks. Cali don't like moded intakes.:p
Posted By: pimpin1320 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/17/03 09:36 PM
Cali doesn't like anything modified.
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/17/03 10:46 PM
it's on! easy as hell, took about 3 hours. nothing really got in the way , except my dad....

pics are on SAME LINK as before.

DUH

the first one is of the old manifold removed, the 2nd, and 3rd are of the old "catless" setup i made, kinda shitty but it worked. and the last 2 are the header installed, and the custom flange i made for it to butt up to the header.
Posted By: The Davis Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/17/03 11:06 PM
...and it runs how??
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/17/03 11:12 PM
what do you mean "it runs how"

it drives... it sounds different, barely. as for "haul ass factor" i have yet to know since the inside of my car stinks like paint.
Posted By: The Davis Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/17/03 11:46 PM
Originally posted by WannaBe-SVT:
as for "haul ass factor" i have yet to know since the inside of my car stinks like paint.

That's what I'm waiting on - the "haul ass factor"
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/18/03 12:10 AM
well, a lot of people know about the "mind trick" where when u do a mod, u think your car is faster, but it's not. well, i'll just say you can tell it actually is worth putting on. the acceleration is actually quite better, i haven't gone over 60 yet but im gunna check a 0-60 run , and some other stuff. then a track run next week (damn $15 to run) and see how much it did. btw, the old manifold... omg.. i don't even know how the hell it worked the size was so small inside and crappy.. and the damn o2 sensor was right in the way of everything. but it was definately worth the money to me.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/18/03 02:12 AM
Sounds like a good mod. Looks good in the engine bay
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/18/03 03:06 AM
Is this the header where some complained about welds breaking? It strikes me that removing the cat might be part of the reason for weld stress. The stock cat is strapped to the side of the block, which means no leverage gets put on the head studs. Have you got anything holding that custom downpipe in place against the block? If not, any random twisting at the flex pipe is going to cause joint pain in the header...
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/18/03 03:28 AM
the old setup never proved to show any strain, nor breakage or anything really, and it was that way for a year. the welds look pretty damn good, and even if they do break, it's not like i don't know how to weld.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/18/03 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
Is this the header where some complained about welds breaking? It strikes me that removing the cat might be part of the reason for weld stress. The stock cat is strapped to the side of the block, which means no leverage gets put on the head studs. Have you got anything holding that custom downpipe in place against the block? If not, any random twisting at the flex pipe is going to cause joint pain in the header...

Yeah this is the header. I have seen the welds broken with the stock cat STILL in place. I really do think it is the design that causes this.
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/19/03 06:51 AM
So basically, it's the perfect header for someone who has their own welding rig.
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/20/03 08:51 AM
actually JBA isnt the one with the cracking problem, at least not now. Focus Central is definitely, FocusSport is the same thing as the JBA but cheaper and better IMHO, but the best overall is the Ford Racing header, most complete, and gaskets and everything you need to do a complete install. However if you are doin a focus exhaust setup, you also need to get the focus EGR tube, since its a tad longer and you need the focus dipstick (not necessity, but you will probably want it) and the focus has 2 O2 sensors on the exhaust setup, and most tours only have one.

Oh, and the only reason that the focus header really wont fit exact on a tour is because the tour uses a 4 bolt flange on the cat/header and the focus uses a 3 bolt flange... but nothing a highflow cat for the focus wont cure!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/20/03 07:28 PM
Originally posted by smoothy:
and the focus has 2 O2 sensors on the exhaust setup, and most tours only have one.

as far as I know, every zetec contour has 2 o2 sensors.
Posted By: WannaBe-SVT Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/20/03 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
and the focus has 2 O2 sensors on the exhaust setup, and most tours only have one.

exactly, and my setup to have everything work correctly, was nifty. a nicely welded 18mm nut in a piece of pipe and the o2 threaded in .
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/21/03 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

nope only 96 and newer...
Posted By: The Davis Re: fed ex left me a surprise.... - 01/21/03 04:15 PM
I didn't know that, but it makes sense. '95 was OBD-I; '96+ is OBD-II.
© CEG Archives