Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: The Davis Would anyone be interested in seeing.... - 10/25/02 08:02 PM
...my little Zetec whipping around this?

I'm volunteering to work corners for a local racing organization and found out there will be a session each day for us to get out on the track and play a little. I've never had my car on a road-course, but will be able to learn quite a bit Saturday so that on Sunday I may actually look like I know what I'm doing.

I finally got the charger back for my video camera, so if I can con someone into taping me, I'll try and make a clip.

Let me know.
that would be sweeet, i'd rather see my car on it though.
Cool, I would watch it
Hell yeah!
I wanna see! I wanna see!

hey darrel do you have a tripod??? if so you can rig it in the passenger seat.... that's what alot of the guys did at SZ to videotape or you can do it from the back seat inbetween you and the passenger seat too.
mount a camera on some sorta suspension tripod or something so it looks professional ok, maybe u can't go through all that trouble,, just get it nice and steady.
Posted By: Locster Re: Would anyone be interested in seeing.... - 10/26/02 06:29 AM

That would be hellacool. You so lucky.
I wanna go race there. I could probably hit 120 or 130 on that straight but my brakes at the end might not work so well.
Originally posted by Locster:

That would be hellacool. You so lucky.
lol cartman waz saying hellacool tonite, and hellastupid, and hellaeverything, southpark is funny.
Sorry guys. We got rained out Saturday about 2 hours before I would've been on the track. Sunday didn't look good either when we started, so I didn't even bring the camera. I did get to run, though. One of the guys took some pics w/ his digital camera and should be sending them to me today. Lemme see if I can break down my 20 minutes or so on the track:

Note: Between 6 & 9 we used the straighter path at the top. The numbers may appear different in this section due to the configuration we used.

Front stretch: Topped out at about 100 mph. I might've been able to reach 105, but I didn't trust my brakes to hold up that well under such heavy breaking.

Turns 1, 2 & 3: Holding about 50 mph until just before the apex on 3, then flat out in 3rd to about 70.

Turns 4 & 5: Quick slowing to 40-ish (there is a concrete wall I didn't wanna hit) and pulling hard into 5.

Turn 6: Engine braking through 6. Quick stab of the brakes to set up for the "S" before turn 7 on their map.

Turns 7 - 9: Full throttle in 3rd (upper RPMs).

Turn 10: Again, full throttle, bumping the rumble strip every time. If you don't come out of this turn correctly, you'll completely goof 11 & 12.

Turns 11 & 12: Braking before 11, heel-toe to 2nd and pulling through these two turns around 35 mph. Just before the apex of 12, mashing the gas to swing wide onto the front stretch and doing it all over again.

This was way too much fun I recommend everyone that really wants to feel the limits of their car do something like this. My tires were screaming at almost every instance on this course.

I had a Del Sol behind me for a couple laps that I was making distance on through the turns (yes, he'd ran this course before). We seemed pretty dead-even through the front straight. I allowed him to pass the 3rd time, though, because I was braking earlier than most into 1 for fear of the brakes letting go.

Next time we do this, I'll make better preparations to bring the camera. Joe, that's an excellent idea mounting the camera to the passenger seat. That never occured to me until you mentioned it.

Anyway, I think I no longer have a desire to take my car to the drag strip. I'm all about the road racing!!
Originally posted by D Davis:
Sorry guys. We got rained out Saturday about 2 hours before I would've been on the track. Sunday didn't look good either when we started, so I didn't even bring the camera. I did get to run, though. One of the guys took some pics w/ his digital camera and should be sending them to me today. Lemme see if I can break down my 20 minutes or so on the track:

Note: Between 6 & 9 we used the straighter path at the top. The numbers may appear different in this section due to the configuration we used.

Front stretch: Topped out at about 100 mph. I might've been able to reach 105, but I didn't trust my brakes to hold up that well under such heavy breaking.

Turns 1, 2 & 3: Holding about 50 mph until just before the apex on 3, then flat out in 3rd to about 70.

Turns 4 & 5: Quick slowing to 40-ish (there is a concrete wall I didn't wanna hit) and pulling hard into 5.

Turn 6: Engine braking through 6. Quick stab of the brakes to set up for the "S" before turn 7 on their map.

Turns 7 - 9: Full throttle in 3rd (upper RPMs).

Turn 10: Again, full throttle, bumping the rumble strip every time. If you don't come out of this turn correctly, you'll completely goof 11 & 12.

Turns 11 & 12: Braking before 11, heel-toe to 2nd and pulling through these two turns around 35 mph. Just before the apex of 12, mashing the gas to swing wide onto the front stretch and doing it all over again.

This was way too much fun I recommend everyone that really wants to feel the limits of their car do something like this. My tires were screaming at almost every instance on this course.

I had a Del Sol behind me for a couple laps that I was making distance on through the turns (yes, he'd ran this course before). We seemed pretty dead-even through the front straight. I allowed him to pass the 3rd time, though, because I was braking earlier than most into 1 for fear of the brakes letting go.

Next time we do this, I'll make better preparations to bring the camera. Joe, that's an excellent idea mounting the camera to the passenger seat. That never occured to me until you mentioned it.

Anyway, I think I no longer have a desire to take my car to the drag strip. I'm all about the road racing!!
You need some suspension.
Posted By: TGO Re: Would anyone be interested in seeing.... - 10/29/02 01:33 PM
can I come to the track and own all of you?? j/k guys
Originally posted by Hector:
You need some suspension.

First brakes, then suspension
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
can I come to the track and own all of you?? j/k guys
I take it you were not at Spring Zing. I owned quite a few SVTs on Gingerman.
Posted By: TGO Re: Would anyone be interested in seeing.... - 10/29/02 05:42 PM
i was there, but not on the track in my car. Idid go for a ride though. NExt year...
Here are the pics I got - evidently they didn't all come out so well

Look! I'm beating a Porsche

Look...I'm no longer beating the Porsche

Mach 2?

It really felt as if the car was leaning much more than that. And yes, I was entering the turn hot...very hot most of the time.

EDIT: I think that last pic is me hitting the braking zone for turn 1. So that was snapped w/ me doing about 100. At least that's my guess.
Nice Helmet.
I wanna run on that track. I can show you Darrel what a Zetec ATX can do.
Poor darrel he got lapped by every car out there...
BTW what's with the old man behinh the wheel

J/k man
Nice pics. I like the last shot
Hector: Bring it

ZetecRacing: Bring it

All others: Thanks
Hector: Bring it

ZetecRacing: Bring it

All others: Thanks

so what would you like me to bring? beer???
That'll help

I may or may not be able to beat you, but it sure would be fun trying
That'll help

I may or may not be able to beat you, but it sure would be fun trying
I'll bring myself and my car.
© CEG Archives