Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
OK everybody complains about how the Contour is not a drag car and never will be. Wheelhop limits the power that you can put down and you get broken halfshafts due to wheelhop. How about this idea...

Like I've said in the past... If someone can make a 10 second K car, somebody can make a 10 second 'tour. Without spending an obscene amount of money.

Jack the rear end up, shift the weight forward, get filled motor mounts, and a built MTX-75 with an LSD. It should hook up. AFIAK, broken halfshafts are mainly due to wheel hop. With the filled mounts and the weight over the front end, that should be greatly reduced if not eliminated.

I really don't browse the suspension forums... Has anyone tried jacking up the rear end of a 'tour to help it hook up? I've thought of mounting some heavy duty air cylinders between the rear subframe and the stabilizer arms. (The arms that go from the center of the subframe to the knuckles.) When the cylinders are pressurized the rear end would be jacked up 3-4 inches and be rock solid. No compression. That would keep the weight from shifting to the rear. Just look at this pic...

He has some decent sized slicks on (but not oversized) and has the rear end jacked WAAY up.

This is a very good read too.

Waddya think? Am I

BP
I'm pretty much going to be doing this with the D2 racing suspension; lower the front down as far as I can, raise the the rear up as far as the D2's go, and set the rear shocks at full hard. I already have PRT poly mount front and rear, new front control arms with welded in bracing (not sure if that really helps), and a bull-dog box from THM Inc. I'll throw on some slicks for a a track day and flog it for the CEG record books...Fastest Zetec contour(for sure) fastest contour(we'll see).
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/11/06 02:18 AM
If you ever get that turbo setup working on the Zetec, you will most likely have the highest powered Contour Zetec on the forums and possibly the first turbo'ed Contour Zetec(to my knowledge.)

And if you tune it right, it might be the fastest Contour Zetec.

P.S. I say Contour Zetec cause their is/was a drag car with the zetec engine in it. No telling how much power it had.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/11/06 03:01 AM
does that mean BP and i are now in competition. im not really shooting for the highest (yet ) im shooting for about 230hp. if i get more great but like hector said 250-300 is about where you should stop for FWD. at least for a fun streetable FWD.

eventually i will find a way to go AWD in the contour. i will make good use of the mechanical engineering degree im going for.
Sorry BP, but there is a lot more to it than that.
I've seen a cougar (same as us of course) with gc's raised way up in the rear, low in the front). It helps of course, but it doesn't end wheel hop. The WHOLE suspension is the problem.

It can definitely be done, but it takes more work than you're thinking. Even with wheel hop eliminated, you still have spin. It's just not a good drag car, and unfortunately, turning it into one (spending a good bit of money but not a fortune) will hurt its handling ability.

I don't even understand what some people's obsession with trying to make it into a drag car. You can get a list of other cars and spend less money and do less work and go faster. I could spend $4k and have a nice fox body and be well into the 12s with a week worth of work and not have to redesign the whole front suspension. Take your contour to autox, track, canyon/mountain roads, or just drive it on the street. Much more useful that way and less aggravating.

I do find it weird that noone has run slicks on a contour, but considering the axles problems ($$) they have on street tires, it makes sense. But still, there are 300whp+ contours that do what they can to get traction on street tires and can't break into the 12s, that tells you something.
Originally posted by KerryKool:
If you ever get that turbo setup working on the Zetec, you will most likely have the highest powered Contour Zetec on the forums and possibly the first turbo'ed Contour Zetec(to my knowledge.)

Nope, there has been atleast 2 turbo'd contour zetecs.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/11/06 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by KerryKool:

Nope, there has been atleast 2 turbo'd contour zetecs.

anybody happen to know what sort of power they reached.
No. There was only one on this forum and he was wishy-washy at first, then sold it on ebay. Never a dyno run done IIRC.
The other one was just an account (again IIRC, from a legit member with what seemed like a legit story) of a car he worked on or something like that.
Seawulf has a turbo zetec cougar that put out decent numbers.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/11/06 04:16 AM
so either of us could be the first legit contour zetec with a turbo who will have proof that we have done it
The one on this forum was definitely turbo'd, but as to how well it ran or the power it put down, I never saw anything valid.
Either one of ya'll should definitely have a better setup than that guy did.
Posted By: Augi Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/11/06 05:20 AM
I don't know if I'd be going for a 10 sec 'tour, The way I see it, our cars were built for teh road course regular tours have performance suspension, and SEs and SVTs have sport tuned suspension, I think I saw the link on here, I'll have to search around to find the page I found, but that would explain why there is wheel hop. More power to ya, if you can actually get 300 hp from the 'tour, then I might go for that, but until then, I'm just going to kepp building mine to be a poor mans Jaguar that can handle curves like nobodies business. linky
Originally posted by striker2:
does that mean BP and i are now in competition. im not really shooting for the highest (yet ) im shooting for about 230hp.

Considering that I currently have an ATX, I don't think I'm competition.

We may be competition for who gets theirs done first, but right now I'm still sufffering from lack of funds. Also, I will probably limit my ATX turbo Zetec project to 200WHP. That should be about 10psi and be around 260ft/lb at the flywheel. Considering that the CD4E os only rated for 200ft/lb AND my tranny has 135k (and counting) on it, I will be running on borrowed time.

Now my next Contour will be the monster. Built Zetec, FRPP head, turbo cams, GT3071 (same as osigmachi), built HMS MTX-75 with a LSD, custom boost controller.

If anybody knows of a MTX Zetec Contour for sale AND in good condition in the midwest, please tell me!!! I've been watching the classifieds for the last few months and haven't seen jack squat.

I already have a new Zetec and a new MTX-75 ready to be built up. I'm just looking for a car to stick it all in.

BP
Posted By: striker2 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/12/06 03:14 AM
thats ok as im still low on funds too. hopefully it will get finished over the winter. i need to find an engine that i can rebuild. i can do the trans myself. no offense to THM. But when you know how to tear it apart and rebuild it you might as well do it yourself (saves me money that way)
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
The one on this forum was definitely turbo'd, but as to how well it ran or the power it put down, I never saw anything valid.
Either one of ya'll should definitely have a better setup than that guy did.

96mercury was the last guy to turbo a Zetec. Check out this thread for a little history.

He never had any kind of real fuel management. Only a rising-rate fuel pressure regualtor. He ended up selling it before getting any real tuning done. My setup will be 100x better than his. 3" exhaust, free flowing header, water-air intercooler, SCT xcal2 engine management, boost controller.

BTW, he was also one of the first guys to sucessfully perform a Focus Zetec swap on the 98+ Contour. He also hasn't posted on the CEG for almost 2 years.

i need to find an engine that i can rebuild.

Good think you don't know where I live.

BP
Posted By: striker2 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/12/06 03:23 AM

Originally posted by button puncher:
I found this pic on one of the Focus boards...

Pretty darn perfect, eh?

I checked my '96 Zetec block and the oil feed location is there. It just has a plug in it with a torx top.

The best thing is you may be able to find a braided Focus hose pretty cheap.

HTH,
BP

do you still have this picture. i remember looking at it when it wsa first posted but it looks like you took it down.
Ooops. Actually I just scammed the pic off of TurboZX3's excellent Turbo Kit Install How-to. But here it is...

They hacked up their coil bracket, but I'm just planning on spacing mine off the block 3/4" to clear the fitting. No hacking involved.

HTH,
BP
you don't have to move the coil pack mount out, mine had a hole drilled right where the plug was so you don't have to modify the coil pack mount or move it at all.
Duh.

I forgot that you already told me that.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/12/06 09:48 PM
Looked for a MTX Zetec forever.....good luck.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/13/06 05:52 PM
just browsing on ebay

one

two

both are pre-98s with the silver top zetec and a manual
just browsing on ebay

one

I've actually been watching this one like a hawk for the last couple days. I didn't want to jinx it by telling everyone. Now that the cat is out of the bag... I really want to win this puppy. One owner, no major accidents, he has taken very good care of it, and the body is in really good shape.

Most people might be turned off by it having 175k miles but I don't care, it's all getting replaced anyway.

KBB lists it as $775 in good condition. I'm hoping that I can get it for under $800. I'll finally have a project car! Woohoo!!!

BP
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/15/06 12:52 AM
theres no torque dampners for the zetec or duratec? i know on other fwd cars they make a world of difference.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/15/06 01:18 AM
well josh (pole120) sells the poly filled roll resisters. however he has decided to not sell them to the zetec guys unless you send him your mounts to fill as some zetecs have a different frt mount than the duratecs.
Yeah, he got screwed already. There are a couple different styles.

But, no, nobody makes any kind of inserts or performance replacement motor mounts for the Zetec Contour.

Good thing Josh lives less than 5 minutes from me.

BP
Posted By: striker2 Re: Getting the 'tour to hook up... ideas? - 07/16/06 01:56 AM
its a good thing i got mine before he decided not to sell to the zetec guys. actually it was my car that was the deciding factor as i had the frt mount that has the holes for a through bolt not the one with the studs mounted to it. if you have the second version then you can still use his mounts. the rears were the same. again if you pm him and send him your mount he will fill it for you for the same price without the core charge.

the only place i have gotten wheel hop since was at the track at SZ this year and thats only cause there was no traction. even hector spun them threw first gear in the evo.

Some f'n d-bag went and bid it up to $1800. $1800 I tell ya!!! Why!?!?! It had 175k on it!!! Idiots with too much money ruined my plans.

Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
just browsing on ebay

one

I've actually been watching this one like a hawk for the last couple days. I didn't want to jinx it by telling everyone. Now that the cat is out of the bag... I really want to win this puppy. One owner, no major accidents, he has taken very good care of it, and the body is in really good shape.

Most people might be turned off by it having 175k miles but I don't care, it's all getting replaced anyway.

KBB lists it as $775 in good condition. I'm hoping that I can get it for under $800. I'll finally have a project car! Woohoo!!!

BP

© CEG Archives