Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Loco4G63 A little discussion starter... - 07/01/06 04:43 AM
I have mentioned in the past how similar the 4G63 engine is to the Zetec.

Notice the placement of certain things, very close to the Zetec. After working on it I couldn't help but feel I was working on a Zetec.

I wonder if the manufacturers took notes from each other?

After all the 4G63 has been around since the late 80s.

Dicuss.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/01/06 05:01 AM
offtopic but what is that overflow tank out of? a focus? or is that how post-98 tanks looked?
Posted By: PacificTourG Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/01/06 05:15 AM
It's probably stock. I have seen Contours at junkyards with those large coolant tanks. Mine isn't that size though.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/01/06 06:00 AM
I believe its stock.

Where is the throttle body located on the 4G63? I see the air filter box leading somewhere.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/01/06 01:38 PM
Originally posted by KerryKool:
I believe its stock.

Where is the throttle body located on the 4G63? I see the air filter box leading somewhere.

Throttle body is where the silver pipe (right on the side of the valve cover) is going to. Airbox is attached to the MAF, to a pipe, to the turbo.

This is probably the best route for anyone thinking about a turbo on the Zetec.

Overflow is stock.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 12:13 AM
Almost looks like you could swap a 4g63 into a 'tour! The engine bays look so similar.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 03:37 AM
Originally posted by BStoneMega:
Almost looks like you could swap a 4g63 into a 'tour! The engine bays look so similar.

If only. Then it would be the first Contour and Mitsubishi hybrid. Lets call it the Consubishi. Sounds like some chinese meals name.
Posted By: Augi Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 10:04 AM
Fordsubishi Contour Evolution

But to be serious, the 4G63 can handle 660HP with the stock internals. how many can the zetec handle?
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 10:20 AM
ive seent 315whp done safely, but dunno for how long.

4g handles so much stock because it's built for F/I stock. If the zetec was it would handle alot more.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 01:08 PM
Originally posted by pre98zetec:
ive seent 315whp done safely, but dunno for how long.

4g handles so much stock because it's built for F/I stock. If the zetec was it would handle alot more.

yeah, just look at what cosworth did with the zetec (yes I know the zetec was origionaly developed in the cosworth labs) but There have been so many nuts fast cosworth cars out there... I have so badly wanted to see someone go all out on a zetec motor and squeeze as much power as possible out of it.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 01:10 PM
oh i should have stated, 315whp done on a completely STOCK motor, nothing modded internally.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 01:23 PM
Funny you guys talking about swapping in a 4G63 into a Contour....I actually thought about doing it.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 02:55 PM
Originally posted by EVOLUTION VIII:
Funny you guys talking about swapping in a 4G63 into a Contour....I actually thought about doing it.

Im sure you have hector, lol. Im sure you could get a 4G63 in a contour engine bay easy, it almost looks like the tour's engine bay is better, so lots of room for work... But my question... What trannie will work?
Posted By: KerryKool Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 03:26 PM
How much would the 4g63 engine cost? You might as well get a complementary tranny to match the engine.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 04:10 PM
Might as well get the tranny. A whole Evo 3 engine/tranny combo can be had for $1500 or so. Then mate it to a FWD Talon tranny.

The real question would be if you could mate the AWD system on.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 06:02 PM
AWD would be something to see on a contour.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/02/06 06:40 PM

I know someone who is tinkering with making a contour AWD, knowing this guy, he can do it. No problem.
Posted By: DESIGN Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/03/06 02:31 PM
If as you say the Zetec was originally built/designed by Cosworth then the similarity makes even more sense. Mits built this as a rally style car who better to copy than Cosworth. Possibly it was the reverse and Cosi based their design off the Mits.
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
I have so badly wanted to see someone go all out on a zetec motor and squeeze as much power as possible out of it.

Ohsigmachi will be the first to do so. Forged and coated everything, CGI block, FRPP head with turbo cams, all connected up to a GT3071 turbo.

TurboTom on the Focus forums hit 730HP with a similar combination.

There is sooo much power to be made with a built Zetec. The stock Zetec was just never made to make any decent power. Powder rods and hyper pistons are for cost savings. Cheap and reliable.

Just look at the insane amounts of power made out of stock turbo 4 cylinder engines. Heck even the old dodge 2.5L SOHC turbo II engines are pushing 30-35psi. I can't wait to see what the MazdaSpeed6's 2.3L turbo engine is capable of.

Personally, I'm still looking for a MTX Zetec Contour in good condition to follow in Osigmachi's footsteps. I already have a new Zetec and MTX-75 waiting to be built up.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/04/06 01:38 PM
I am going to say it......squeezing any kind of insane power out of Contour will be pointless.

Say you do make 500 hp on you Zetec. Which will require around 30 psi. Engine right away, even built up, is going to liability. The car doesn't hook up, so you have to put slicks or drag radials. You start breaking driveshafts. It would go on and on...

Unless you have ALOT of disposable income doing all of this....

With all that being said....I would love to see someone do this. Not 500 HP but a 300-350 HP turbo Zetec. It would be reliable, wouldn't have to run too much boost, and more than likely would be faster than a Duratec Contour with the same power.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/04/06 02:05 PM
My car is going to be street driven every day. I had my hopes of a 500+ monster, but some things have held that back. I am still shooting for just under 400 wheels on race gas, and about 330 on 92 octane.

As a matter of contributing to the group, if you want reliable, BIG power out of the Zetec don't get Eagle rods, Pauter, Cosworth, Crower are all better and I may trade up again.

Hector is right about the axles I thought I had my answer in GCK, but it looks like they are a great replacement axle for a stock/lightly modified car, but not big power + extreme track circumstances.

On a personal note, Travis who was once a posting member here has cut and run with $750 of my money that was supposed to build a custom intake manifold.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/04/06 02:30 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

I know someone who is tinkering with making a contour AWD, knowing this guy, he can do it. No problem.

IIRC, the Mondeo had an AWD option in the early days. Not a lot of them sold, but the parts are out there so an AWD conversion may not be such a huge deal...
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/04/06 04:48 PM
And all you really gotta do is find a way to match Indy car CV joints to the MTX-75....
Posted By: KerryKool Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/04/06 08:03 PM
Also, I remember a discussion about the chasis of the Contour not being a frame that can do 0-60 in 5 sec(just to say.) It just wasn't built like a mustang's chasis.
...but a 300-350 HP turbo Zetec. It would be reliable, wouldn't have to run too much boost, and more than likely would be faster than a Duratec Contour with the same power.

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It wouldn't cost an insane amount to do AND it would surprize pretty much everyone on the road.

Originally posted by ohsigmachi:
On a personal note, Travis who was once a posting member here has cut and run with $750 of my money that was supposed to build a custom intake manifold.

WTF?!? Where does he live? Any local CEG'ers that can pay him a visit?

BP
Posted By: Augi Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/05/06 05:45 AM
I just went to Cosworths websire and they have some pretty nicely built motors for sale. anyone think they can find out how to swap a 2.3 duratec for a 2.0 zetec?

Also, they have a new S/C out for $3000

One more quest... do the new 4cyl duratecs have the same DYI intake that we have on the zetec? I was just noticing the carb and Manifold kits they have up and it just looks like the short runner.
It's not cheap, but Turbo Tom is offering a 2.3L stroker kit for the 2.0 Zetec. It is on his Focus Power website.

They have also made individual carb kits for the Zetec for a loong time. The Lotus/Caterham guys do it all the time. Check out Burton Power and go to the Fuel System->Carburettors & Kits->Weber DCOE section.

BTW, the Duratec 4 cylinder is backwards from the Zetec 4 cylinder. (The intake is on the front by the radiator, and the exhaust is on the back by the firewall.)

HTH,
BP
Geeez. It's friggin' dead in here.

Do I hear crickets?

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/08/06 03:12 AM
I am getting more parts for my Evo......the insanity continues....soon I will be installing a GT42R with a 2.3L stroker.....it will happen eventually.
Posted By: Augi Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/08/06 05:45 AM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:

BTW, the Duratec 4 cylinder is backwards from the Zetec 4 cylinder. (The intake is on the front by the radiator, and the exhaust is on the back by the firewall.)

HTH,
BP

Well yeah, but do they have just short runners or both like zetecs??
Well the 2.3L duratec has pretty short runners. The duratec cosworth intake has a airhorn type setup. Check this out.

We have much longer runners than that. Makes for a torque-ier setup.

It's be interesting to compare an intake manifold gasket from each. The problem with putting a duratec manifold on is that the intake would be on the passenger side. You'd have to extend your throttle and cruise cables.

BP
....soon I will be installing a GT42R with a 2.3L stroker.....

Good lord!!!!! A GT42R!?! That's gonna have some insane lag. You're going to have to hit it with some nitrous to make it streetable. ...but it is still awesome...

I can't wait until I get a MazdaSpeed6. 2.3L turbo stock. The stock turbo is a tiny K04, but get that swapped out with a GT3071. 450HP at 22psi.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/09/06 02:02 AM
....soon I will be installing a GT42R with a 2.3L stroker.....

Good lord!!!!! A GT42R!?! That's gonna have some insane lag. You're going to have to hit it with some nitrous to make it streetable. ...but it is still awesome...

I can't wait until I get a MazdaSpeed6. 2.3L turbo stock. The stock turbo is a tiny K04, but get that swapped out with a GT3071. 450HP at 22psi.

BP

I will probably go with the GT35R.....500-600 is no problem and less lag.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/09/06 07:45 PM
I am going to say it......squeezing any kind of insane power out of Contour will be pointless.

Say you do make 500 hp on you Zetec. Which will require around 30 psi. Engine right away, even built up, is going to liability. The car doesn't hook up, so you have to put slicks or drag radials. You start breaking driveshafts. It would go on and on...

Unless you have ALOT of disposable income doing all of this....

With all that being said....I would love to see someone do this. Not 500 HP but a 300-350 HP turbo Zetec. It would be reliable, wouldn't have to run too much boost, and more than likely would be faster than a Duratec Contour with the same power.

Couldn't agree with you more hector as cool as it would be to get that much power out of a Zetec MTX contour, its just stupid. I think there is a point where there is too much power for all cars. Yeah, there has been people on here with SVT's who have pushed 400 WHP. which is awesome, but cant really achieve much better then a 13.7 or 13.8 in the quarter (someone correct me if I am wrong). For a couple of reasons, one being the upgraded CV joints for the contour blow, and always break due to wheel hop, which brings me to my next point... Wheel hop, traction. You cant for the life of you get any traction worth balls out of a FWD car.

Personally a good number to shoot for in a Zetec contour is about 250-290 Whp. Im sure it can be done with 10-15 lbs of boost out of a turbo and lightly built motor. The combination of light boost and built up zetec + trannie would make a reliable and powerful fun car.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/09/06 09:18 PM
No traction on FWD cars?

Tell that to all the single digit FWD hondas.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/09/06 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
No traction on FWD cars?

Tell that to all the single digit FWD hondas.

Yeah, its doable... on a Honda, because the aftermarket is avliable for it. Yes, I know that single digits have been done on hondas with extensive modification, recockulious weight reductions, and extremely big drag radials. Im sure the Single digit hondas are hardly street legal.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/09/06 10:37 PM

Im sure the Single digit hondas are hardly street legal.

there's lots of full interior STREET LEGAL 9 second civics out there.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/09/06 11:08 PM
It all comes down to one thing: HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU WANT TO SPEND? Anything is possible with enough money. I am saying to enjoy the car fully, lower power (250-300 hp) on your FWD is the way to go.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/10/06 01:49 AM
It all comes down to one thing: HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU WANT TO SPEND? Anything is possible with enough money. I am saying to enjoy the car fully, lower power (250-300 hp) on your FWD is the way to go.

What about AWD?
Like I said before...

AWD turbo 4 cylinder. Just look at what the Lancer and EVO guys are already doing.

Unfortunately there was no AWD Contour. Maybe a Mondeo but I've never seen one.

BP
Posted By: striker2 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/10/06 02:38 PM
Like I said before...

AWD turbo 4 cylinder. Just look at what the Lancer and EVO guys are already doing.

BP

they made the mondeo 4x4 only up to 96. and they didnt make too many of them. if you could buy one cheap and have it shipped over i bet you could have an awd contour with little modification.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/10/06 09:55 PM
Like I said before...

BP

Most mildly modded Evos are around 350-400 hp.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/10/06 10:50 PM
Originally posted by striker2:
Like I said before...

BP

they made the mondeo 4x4 only up to 96. and they didnt make too many of them. if you could buy one cheap and have it shipped over i bet you could have an awd contour with little modification.

I would say think again... sure the parts at the wheels would be a pretty much direct bolt on, but Im pretty sure the chassy itself would be rediculiously different.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/11/06 12:24 AM
Originally posted by pre98zetec:

Im sure the Single digit hondas are hardly street legal.

there's lots of full interior STREET LEGAL 9 second civics out there.

Thank you.

Hopefully ill have traction issues figured out by next spring (albeit with a duratec)
I decided to start a new thread considering this one was getting pretty huge.

BP
Posted By: jtour Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/12/06 12:13 PM

Pretty cool comparison. They may look similar but boy is there a difference.

Posted By: SniperUML Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/14/06 08:34 AM
Whats the best way and realitively cheap way to get 250-300 HP out of the Zetec 4cyl? I figured a new intake, what about a turbo or super? Any ideas?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/14/06 10:36 AM
Turbo and with that: full exhaust, intake, fuel (pump and injectors), and a tune.
Posted By: SniperUML Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/14/06 11:44 AM
What do you recommend for a turbo? Along with fuel parts? For the new air intake, do you recommend a cold air intake? Or should I go with the self mod-ed intake that SleepZ posted? Whats the difference? (besides the cold air) Whats the power increase with it? How bout a underdriven pully system? New cam gears?

I am looking to do this one part at a time type thing. When I get the $ saved up I will buy it and then install. I will probably be doing the turbo last. Oh one last thing, whats the increase in fuel economy with this stuff?
Originally posted by SniperUML:
Looking to increase HP to about 200-220, ideas that are affordable for a college student?

I agree with everyone else. The only affordable way to get 200-220HP is either with a turbo or supercharger.

For now, the easy cheap upgrades are...
SlepperZ intake
K&N replacement Filter
Crank UDP

For power you would want either a...

Jackson Racing (JRSC) Focus SVT M62 Supercharger

OR

GT28RS Turbocharger

OR

T3 Super60 Turbocharger

All of those will get you into the 200+ wheel HP region. The JRSC M62 supercharger would be the easiest to install. It is practically a bolt on, especially for your '99 Contour. They can also be found in the "For Sale" secions on the Focaljet forums and Focus Fanatics forums.

Currently putting a turbo on a Contour is a DIY project. Myself and two others are working on putting a tubo on their 'tours. I'm hoping to get a header adapter and downpipe made up so that others will have a much easier time.

You will still need 42# injectors, a Mustang GT or Lightning Mass Air Flow sensor, upgraded fuel pump, and proper tuning to make it all work.

Also, welcome to the CEG!

Please read through all of the stickies at the top of this forum and use the Search feature. All of these questions have been asked before.

Later,
BP
Posted By: KerryKool Re: A little discussion starter... - 07/14/06 08:02 PM
Looky what I found:

G28RS

T3 Super60 (used)

Compared to original pricing this is a very good bargain, though I don't know whats the longevity of a turbo.
© CEG Archives