Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Augi Exhaust - 06/21/06 04:47 AM
I know, there have been several posts about exhaust, but I don't think there have been any like this.

I want to re route my muffler and I got an idea from a guy with an RX7. I have currently a 2.25" pipe running from the cat, through a high flow in-line muffler. all of the way back to dual 3" mufflers. I even have the flex pipe.

The question is, I want to try doualing the pipe even more than that. I don't want to hurt the performance, nor do I want to hurt the sound... I love the deep grumble.

The setup I want is, 4-2-1 headers, high flow cat, flex pipe, single in-dual out muffler.All of the pipe I want to be in 2.25" pipe as well.

Manifold--flex pipe-cat--muffler _-_-_-_-\
\_-_-Two canisters

So, What do you guys think?
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 06/21/06 07:36 PM
I don't see why not. You could just go with a SVT exhaust though. And don't forget, the cat is between the headers and flex pipe on our cars. Your diagram show it after the flex.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Exhaust - 06/21/06 08:51 PM
might wanan put a resonator on it or its gonna sound raspy (IE like crap)
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Exhaust - 06/22/06 06:12 PM
Originally posted by pre98zetec:
might wanan put a resonator on it or its gonna sound raspy (IE like rice)

fixed
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Exhaust - 06/22/06 07:12 PM
Originally posted by BlackE1:
Originally posted by pre98zetec:
might wanan put a resonator on it or its gonna sound raspy (IE like rice)

fixed

I was trying to be nice, otherwise I would have put the same thing, lol.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: Exhaust - 06/23/06 12:35 AM
Also remember this is the zetec forum, if you have a zetec you're not going to get a "deep grumble". There are many nice sounding exhaust options, but its not going to sound like a v8.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Exhaust - 06/23/06 04:08 AM
SVT exhaust with no mufflers but with the res is the way to go
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Exhaust - 06/24/06 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

This is as close as a V8 sound your going to get. One person had it done and post a vid with it. Now I want a SVT exhaust.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 06/24/06 12:55 PM
Originally posted by KerryKool:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

This is as close as a V8 sound your going to get. One person had it done and post a vid with it. Now I want a SVT exhaust.

Who was it?????????
I wanna see!!!!!
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Exhaust - 06/24/06 08:48 PM
Hmmm...

Originally posted by Bk4293:
I just love posting these things

1999 Zetec ATX. CTA Motorsports intake,

SVT Exhaust - Stock Resonator In Place - NO MUFFLERS!!!

Little More Than Idle

Revving Off The Rev Limiter

Ricer Fly By - Check Out Mikey Boy At The End

Okay, maybe not exacly a V8 sound, but it does sound good.

How much interior res do you get?
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 06/25/06 06:46 AM
Nada...I didnt even know the exhaust sounded like that until I let Heather drive the car around the Krispy Kreme parking lot one day.....

Didnt hear anything on the inside but intake.
Posted By: Augi Re: Exhaust - 06/25/06 07:10 AM
I realize that, but I was talking about doing the header swap/cat relocation... I thought of putting a res on there after seeing what it would sound like w/o... I think I'll leave it the way it is though because I am not having any problem with the sound of my car... IMHO, it sounds better thn the SVT swap on the video because it has a deeper groan than that... I'll look try posting a video. I don't have much interior res, I went on a road trip to Terre Haute Indiana last week and got back yestaerday and I had no complaints about the sound. The muffler was chrome when I left, but it's now gold... road grime? It'll be clean tomorrow, then I'll try getting someone to hold a camera for me.
Posted By: Augi Re: Exhaust - 06/26/06 04:42 AM
I posted in pics and vids... the file should be working now... linky
Posted By: MazTour Re: Exhaust - 06/29/06 11:44 PM
I just installed a Ractive muffler the other day and removed my resonator and the car,to me,almost sounds like a Volkswagen with a performance exhaust. It's very deep,and around 3k rpm hits a nice sweet spot in the sound. Definetly not the sound I was expecting. I was almost thinking it would sound like a Honda or something,a little more high pitched,but this is pretty deep. However,the sound of my old Duratec with an intake and SVT exhaust with a res but no mufflers was the schitt!

I don't find any bad rasping or anything without the resonator,but I find the car to be extremely quiet in 4th or 5th gear while crusing around town at the speedlimit 40-60kmh. Just doesn't have the rumble the Duratec did.

Overall I like the sound though.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 06/30/06 05:11 AM
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
Also remember this is the zetec forum, if you have a zetec you're not going to get a "deep grumble". There are many nice sounding exhaust options, but its not going to sound like a v8.

You guys have never heard my Brullen setup. It had a nice deep grumble at idle.

BP
Posted By: JEFFtourCT Re: Exhaust - 06/30/06 05:45 AM
today we cut out my res, so now i have the straight pipe from the cat to a high flow muffler, and it doesnt sound as bad as i thought. i really wanted to get at least 2 inch pipes from the cat, but that would've costed a little bit more then i had. the car sounds really good driving. not raspy at all. friends are still makeing fun of me cuz im trying to work on my tour...
Posted By: Augi Re: Exhaust - 07/01/06 08:24 AM
Originally posted by JEFFtourCT:
friends are still makeing fun of me cuz im trying to work on my tour...

So do mine, but there is no problem with these cars...

I'd like to see pics of your setups because I was told that the big mufflers sound raspy.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 07/03/06 12:43 AM
Check this out...

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=picsvids&Number=889611

No rasp. 3" main pipe split to dual 2.25" pipes to the muflers.

The idle sounds like my roommate's 350 inboard boat. A funky burble.

BP
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 07/04/06 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Check this out...

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=picsvids&Number=889611

No rasp. 3" main pipe split to dual 2.25" pipes to the muflers.

The idle sounds like my roommate's 350 inboard boat. A funky burble.

BP

I have that same sound. I want to try to built on that sound with some bigger pipe after the muffler to deepen the tone a little. Of course, once it revs up, it sounds like a 4 cylinder
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 07/04/06 02:48 AM
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
Of course, once it revs up, it sounds like a 4 cylinder

No sh!t.

If you can find a way to make a I4 sound like a V8, you'll have every ricer on the planet beating down your door.

To tell you the truth, I don't care what it sounds like... As long as it kicks a$$.

...and doesn't sound like a ricer fart can. I still don't understand why they think that's cool. Just because it loud and annoying?

BP
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 07/04/06 03:08 AM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
Of course, once it revs up, it sounds like a 4 cylinder

No sh!t.

If you can find a way to make a I4 sound like a V8, you'll have every ricer on the planet beating down your door.

No problem.

Heavily muffled 4 cylinder + outside speaker under bumper playing V8 sounds = $$ for me
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 07/04/06 03:17 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!

Now that is the definition of rice.

I'm still laughing about those widgets that connect to your vacuum system and make a BOV sound. Silly ricers.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Exhaust - 07/04/06 03:25 AM
Rice sells

I keep thinking of some little ricer sitting at a traffic light with the sound of a redlining V8 coming out of it.
Posted By: Augi Re: Exhaust - 07/05/06 05:48 AM
Seen it... a pink 1970s F100

Also, my friends raspy 1979 Sierra 350.

I didn't see any audio links for the car... can you post a vid of the setup?
© CEG Archives