Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Lou3 Improving intake - 04/14/06 03:11 AM
I'd like to wake up my Zetec and am thinking about starting with the intake. I've heard that a K&N filter will make a difference, but I'm wondering if something like a KKM Tru-Rev system is that much better than a K&N to justify the extra expense. I'm just looking to optimize the stock settings, not build a racer.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: Improving intake - 04/14/06 04:51 AM
just a filter isnt gonna do a whole lot. granted if its an open end cone, it is going to be a little more responsive, but go the extra mile and take a look at sleeperz's intake setup in the stickies

im running it right now, and i can tell you that it deffinatly woke up my zetec!
Posted By: Hydramatic Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/14/06 05:15 AM
I just so happen to have what you request!
Hey Mods sticky me so I don't have to keep telling kids how to do this one! Thanx!

J.T.'s MERC-0-MATIC SHORT RAM HYBRID INTAKE

Step 1!
Go down to your local Autozone and buy:
-3" silicone connector w/clamps

-3" inlet paper-media cylindrical air filter. Part# should be PA**** for a Purolator.

-3M or Scotch brand packing tape. The kind with the fibers inside.

-(optional) aftermarket breather filter.

-Flat-head screwdriver, 1/4 inch driver ratchet with 9 or 10mm socket for battery ground nut.

Step2!
Installation!

A. Open up hood and disconnect battery ground by loosening nut and removing black (negative) cable from battery.

B.unclip top of stock airbox from bottom.

C. GENTLY unclip and remove MAF from upper portion of stock airbox. set airbox aside and disconnect electrical connector from MAF. KEEP TRACK OF THE CLIP!!!!

D. Unloop rubber retaining band from far driver-side of the lower airbox. Hold onto this band in case you want to return to stock. Carefully pull back rubber connector from lower airbox that leads to the driver-side fender. Remove stock breather filter assembly from airbox(it's in the corner and attached to a tube. A hose leading from the valve cover is on the outside) If you twist it, it will come out without too much trouble, just keep trying. You can either keep the stocker or install the aftermarket breather here. Then GENTLY pull lower airbox out of retainers. It may take a bit of effort, but don't get rough with it.

E.(PRE98 ONLY, Post98 skip this step!) remove tubing and MAF from the intake resonator (the plastic thing above your ignition coil). Use packing tape to cover hole in intake tubing across from IAT sensor. Be careful not to pull the IAT wiring out. Better yet, just remove the connector beforehand, however be SURE you reconnect it.

F. Reconnect tubing to resonator but not MAF yet. Remove rubber ring from MAF if you have a metallic one, not so sure about the Post 98s. Slip 3" silicone connector over MAF. IT may take some effort, but it will fit. Tighten MAF side hose clamp.

G. Insert air filter inlet into 3"connector with MAF. I know this sounds retarded, but make sure you put the clamp on the connector before you put the filter in the connector. It saves time and frustration;). Tighten filter-side clamp.

H. insert MAF into intake plenum/resonator tubing and tighten clamp. Make the filter fit how you want it to in your engine bay, as many people don't have the same size batteries, there is no specific setup here, so just make it fit.

I. Reconnect MAF and IAT sensor connectors. Remember to re-clip the MAF connector.

J. Reconnect battery ground and start her up. Drive around for a while and let the ECU relearn with the new air intake. After the computer adjusts, you should notice markedly improved throttle response and slightly faster 1/4 mile times, along with a certain intake howl with certain brands of filters. The FRAM made the most distinct howl, but the Purolator provided the best ETs. I went from an 18.7 to an 18.4 under good conditions both times. I'm not making an absolute guarantee, but that's what you might expect. IF you have any questions PM me. I'll try and get GS474 to post a pic of the setup. I did his for him. Alas my Merc is no longer ...

Step 3!
Enjoy!!

Posted By: GS474 Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/14/06 06:06 PM
when it was first installed i had to clean out my maf but after i cleaned the maf i can get wheel speen on some roads

witch previously wasn't possible

Posted By: KerryKool Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/14/06 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Hydramatic:

-3M or Scotch brand packing tape. The kind with the fibers inside.

Just wondering would duck tape work? I don't have the packing tape. I need that hole pluged, that thing sticking out over the ignition coil is useless.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/14/06 09:05 PM
just go the junkyard and get a post 98 tube w/ iat on it, it removes the one intake resonator.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/14/06 11:09 PM
Yeah. Duct tape will work. Just don't use anything too flammable. It looks better if you install a Post 98 intake tube though. I used tape.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 01:19 AM
if you can find one... get a used CTA motorsports air intake, every time I get on the gas pedal and hear that thing wake up I get a little grin on my face. It has never let me down and never ceases to amaize me... How a little Air intake for a I4 can be louder then my exhaust.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 04:19 AM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
if you can find one... get a used CTA motorsports air intake, every time I get on the gas pedal and hear that thing wake up I get a little grin on my face. It has never let me down and never ceases to amaize me... How a little Air intake for a I4 can be louder then my exhaust.

If I get luck enough and find a CTA for a resonable price, I'd get it, the only problem would be to make a IAT hole for me Contour.

Right now, I have stick w/ stock cause I just got a K&N filter.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Kerry2Kool4U:
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

If I get luck enough and find a CTA for a resonable price, I'd get it, the only problem would be to make a IAT hole for me Contour.

ummm the CTA intake is designed for the contour... All of mine bolted right up.
Posted By: Lou3 Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 05:40 PM

Did you see much difference with the K&N?
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 06:17 PM
A little diference, a little better throttle responce maybe 1 or 2 HP gain but nothing noticable. Check the dyno comparison sticky for other mods and their performance gains.

Does the CTA intake have a hole already for the IAT sensor?
Posted By: aznkid922 Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 07:11 PM
hey i have a 00 contour and did exactly what u posted on this thread. Thanks btw..........What should i do with the hose that used to connect to the airbox and to the valve cover? Its just hanging there. Will it hurt if i just let it be or what can i do with it?
Posted By: GS474 Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 08:58 PM
someone make this a sticky so people will see it
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 09:29 PM
Originally posted by aznkid922:
hey i have a 00 contour and did exactly what u posted on this thread. Thanks btw..........What should i do with the hose that used to connect to the airbox and to the valve cover? Its just hanging there. Will it hurt if i just let it be or what can i do with it?

Reconnect the hose and double-mushroom connector that went into the box with the breather filter that was inside the box, along with the corresponding tube. Sorry about not mentioning that, when I did the write-up it was kinda late at night.

Also, I forgot to mention how to connect an aftermarket breather to the stock breather filter box. With most aftermarket breathers, there is a small silicone or rubber connector and clamp that comes with it. all you gotta do is remove the stock foam filter from the box (you can decide to epoxy the filter box shut if you like...), take the small plastic tube off the end of the breather box, and put the new breather over the nipple. As always, remember to put the hose clamp on BEFORE you put the little connector hose and breather on. Then, either find a solid place to prop the breather filter on, or get some clothes-hanger wire and anchor it to something in the engine bay.

HTH.

P.S.
Thanks GS474 for posting the pics. I appreciate it!
Posted By: aznkid922 Re: Improving intake - 04/15/06 10:34 PM
if i leave it like that will it hurt anything? But if i were to do what u told me, would i have to disconnect the battery?
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Improving intake - 04/16/06 03:20 AM
If you leave it like it is, just the hose, it won't do any harm but it might leave a little mess wherever you put the opening at. It is used to release any gases that the oil builds up in the engine. I'd get a aftermarket breather at autozone or some other auto parts store and put it on the end of the hose.

Besides, it looks cool...

...its the round red thing next to the airbox. BTW, this is not my engine, its SleeperZ's and you can find out how to make the intake by going to the related sticky in the main index of Zetec Performance section if you want to do something more "exotic" to your intake.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Improving intake - 04/16/06 04:29 AM
Yeah, I like SleeperZ's setup a lot, but I think he switched back to using the intake plenum above the throttle body. It kinda hurts throttle response to have nothing but an elbow right there. His can be described as more exotic than mine, but his also didn't cost $18 total to put together. Bang for buck ratio is very high with the way I did it on my Stique.
Posted By: aznkid922 Re: Improving intake - 04/16/06 05:55 AM
what size aftermarket breather do u think i need to fit on the end of that hose?
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Improving intake - 04/16/06 03:30 PM
Just about any size'll do. Just make sure the little rubber/silicone connector that comes with it will either fit over the nipple of the box or find your own length of hose and completely replace the stock breather hose.
Posted By: phillyzetec Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/17/06 02:23 AM
Yeah. Duct tape will work. Just don't use anything too flammable. It looks better if you install a Post 98 intake tube though. I used tape.

Don't use tape to block the air flow to the intake resonator (Useless black thing over the coil). I did the same thing, and though you do get a little better throttle response even with the stock filter, after a while the under hood temps make the adhesive separate from the tape. The tape starts to fall off, and given enough time could get sucked into the throttle body and possibly jam it open (bad!) Instead cut it off and fabricate a plastic cover and bond it to the resonator with plastic epoxy or JB Weld (that stuff is magic). Thats the best option given a low budget ($2), but for a little more cash just get 3" aluminum pipe and thread a hole for the IAT.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/17/06 04:45 PM
Originally posted by phillyzetec:

Don't use tape to block the air flow to the intake resonator (Useless black thing over the coil). I did the same thing, and though you do get a little better throttle response even with the stock filter, after a while the under hood temps make the adhesive separate from the tape. The tape starts to fall off, and given enough time could get sucked into the throttle body and possibly jam it open (bad!) Instead cut it off and fabricate a plastic cover and bond it to the resonator with plastic epoxy or JB Weld (that stuff is magic). Thats the best option given a low budget ($2), but for a little more cash just get 3" aluminum pipe and thread a hole for the IAT.

Where can I find that JB weld or similar products? If I can find the epoxy thats what I'll do. I'm a bit worried about the tape flying into my engine.
Posted By: phillyzetec Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/17/06 06:14 PM
JB-Weld is one of the most versatile adhesive products on the planet. You can find it at any hardware store, and its about $3. It consists of a two part epoxy that is resistant to extreme temperatures and pressure, and it is also an electrical insulator and is VERY strong. I have seen people fix cracks in their blocks with this stuff. (This is not something I would ever do, this is just an example of how strong this stuff is.) It can bond to anything, glass, wood, plastic, metal, etc. provided you sand and clean the contact surfaces. It sets about 5 minutes after you mix the paste, so be ready to apply it quickly. You have to give it 24 hours to fully cure before use, but after that I'm positive you will be happy with the results.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/17/06 06:39 PM
Cool, thanks.

Is there any suggestions on how to remove the intake resonator without any trouble? I want it to look as clean as possible.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/17/06 07:23 PM
post 98 intake tube.

{engine bay needs cleaned, I know.)

Posted By: KerryKool Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/17/06 08:36 PM
Does the accoridian tube have a spot for the IAT sensor? I don't know how to fab a hole for it thats why I'm going to try and use the JB weld stuff and go from there.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/17/06 09:09 PM
Sorry for the double post, but could I cut the intake resonator off, sand it down and stick this 3M Metal Repair tape over the hole. It should work I just hope the Advance Auto place nearby has it in stock.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/17/06 10:40 PM
Sorry for the double post, but could I cut the intake resonator off, sand it down and stick this 3M Metal Repair tape over the hole. It should work I just hope the Advance Auto place nearby has it in stock.

OMG please don't do that unless you plan on doing it well. Another guy on here a long time ago tried sawing off the resonator and fiberglassing over the hole. Wasn't pretty.
JBWeld whould work pretty well. I used the packing tape and drove around in Texas heat for a year and a half without any of the tape showing any signs of peeling or melting. As much as that may instill confidence about the packing tape, if I had a choice, I'd take a Post98 intake tube or exhaust tubing over it anyday. However, IIRC the Post98 tubing doesn't have the IAT bung. I believe on those models, it is located in the MAF housing. It shouldn't be very hard to cut out a hole and get a gasket in the hole to keep the sensor from falling out. I'm pretty sure SleeperZ knows how to do this correctly. You might try looking on his intake How-to.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/18/06 12:02 AM
Does the accoridian tube have a spot for the IAT sensor?

well considering its stock off another contour, yes

you will have to buy a post 98 iat censor tho because pre 98s screw in post 98 pop in
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/18/06 03:25 PM
I might have to go to the junk yard and see if I have any luck finding the accordian tube.

If I do the tape thing I'd spraypaint it to match the tube so I shouldn't have a problem of it looking bad. I'll go by the auto place today and see what they have in stock.
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/28/06 01:12 PM
That tube is cheap like 32 I think (better then trying to fab time is money), but I would hit junkyard first. The tube does have the IAT hole it's right after the MAF and on the underside. They do just pop in. I have a post 98 IAT hmmm where some pics... ah here we go. You can have that IAT in the pic if you want. Just not sure if it's good or bad.

Posted By: KerryKool Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/28/06 04:53 PM
Very cool, I'll add that to my list of what to get at the junk yard, next time I'm there.
Posted By: Augi Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/29/06 05:57 AM
I built my intake out of this and Auto Zone is a certified retailer of theirs. I built the Sleeper Z intake and I would have to say that out of the twelve differant intake set ups I have had on the Contique, That one is the best.... I'll get a picture of it soon.
Posted By: Augi Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/29/06 06:04 AM

I know it's not a good one, but it's the best I could get given the circumstances.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/29/06 06:07 AM
Originally posted by jd28:
That tube is cheap like 32 I think (better then trying to fab time is money), but I would hit junkyard first. The tube does have the IAT hole it's right after the MAF and on the underside. They do just pop in. I have a post 98 IAT hmmm where some pics... ah here we go. You can have that IAT in the pic if you want. Just not sure if it's good or bad.

photobucket.com/albums/a370/Jman2343/59761631.jpg

photobucket.com/albums/a370/Jman2343/7a0ce585.jpg

photobucket.com/albums/a370/Jman2343/Picture019.jpg

nice plane!
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Improving intake - 04/29/06 06:54 AM
That battery hold down kicks a$$.

Posted By: Augi Re: Improving intake - 04/29/06 11:11 AM
Sorry, I meant to get you guys a website for that intake kit I have... Spectre Performance
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Improving intake - 04/29/06 07:10 PM
Hey, my battery tie down is both solid and original. The battery isn't going anywhere.
And let's not forget it's dual purpose, hold battery in place or if I ever need to strap anything down I'm preppared.
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: Merc-0-Matic Intake - 04/29/06 08:23 PM
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:

nice plane!

Thankyou 82inch wing. Lots of fun. Little tricky getting it into the tour, good thing the wing comes off lol

Little off topic. Sorry guys.

Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Improving intake - 04/29/06 09:24 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
Hey, my battery tie down is both solid and original. The battery isn't going anywhere.
And let's not forget it's dual purpose, hold battery in place or if I ever need to strap anything down I'm preppared.

AND it matches the color scheme.
© CEG Archives