Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: cbman Anyone using the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump? - 04/04/06 12:42 AM
I'm considering getting a Boost-a-Pump for my Turbocharged '99 VCT Zetec Cougar, but I'm not exactly sure what the stock fuel limits are on the return-style fuel system?
Does the BAP work on a mechanical Fuel Pressure Regulator system?
when i get my car turbochrged im going to be running the BAP. ive heard it works really well. i say go for it.
Interesting write on swapping out the dual Cobra fuel pumps for dual FSVT pumps compared to dual Cobra fuel pumps + BAP.

BAP svtFocus Test
I'm running a 255lph Walbro Mustang Fuel Pump. Pretty much a direct swap. It was the BBK-1607 for $130.

I also went with an Aeromotive 13102 fuel pressure regulator for $110.

Both would cost less that the boost-a-pump, not stress your stock pump, and be much more reliable. IMHO.

This is all assuming that you have converted to a return style system. (Weren't all Cougars return-less?)

Originally posted by cbman:
Built motor in progress

I need to rob a bank.

HTH,
BP
Posted By: cbman Re: Anyone using the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump? - 04/04/06 02:38 PM
My Cougar, which has a birthday of 5/26/98 is definately a return style system.
My engine is exactly the same as a '99 Contour engine. I know this because it actually came out of a '99 Coutour

So, what are the HP limits of the stock return fuel system.
Buttonpuncher, what is the need for the aftermarket FPR?
1999 Contours have a returnless fuel system.
Posted By: cbman Re: Anyone using the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump? - 04/04/06 07:12 PM
If you have a '99 Contour that was built before 5/2/99, then it will have a return-style fuel system.

So, we are both right, a '99 Contour could be either.
BTW, what are the stock return-style fuel system limitations?
Remember, you want to keep fuel pressure stock while putting in bigger injectors to give more fuel. You only want to raise fuel pressure on a 1:1 ratio to compensate for the extra boost in the intake.

You'll want the rising rate fuel regulator to do that. What size injectors will depend how much power. 42lb/hr injectors will be good for around 200-230whp at stock fuel pressure.

More than 230whp or so, I'd go for the bigger fuel pump also. The main benefit of a return fuel system is when you're driving hard in the upper rpms where lag is minimal to non existant, if you go from low throttle to full throttle(ie. no boost to full boost), the ECU can't compensate for the sudden fuel pressure change as well as a mechanical system can.
Originally posted by cbman:
Buttonpuncher, what is the need for the aftermarket FPR?

The Aeromotive is an adjustable FPR. That way if I run out of fuel with my injectors, I can bump the pressure to compensate.

I have to totally agree with Seawulf. The throttle response with the Mustang fuel pump and the FPR is incredible. There is no bog anymore when I stomp on it. My Zetec just goes. Part throttle is also incredible.

I'm not sure what the limitations of the stock return fuel system are. I wouldn't want to push it past 160-170 FWHP.

Now with the 255lph Walbro, I'm sure I will never get near the limits that it can provide. I wanted to bulletproof my fuel system before throwing my turbo on. I'm pretty sure that I've accomplished that goal.

BTW, the Aeromotive is a 1:1 FPR. (It will rise equally with boost.)

HTH,
BP
Posted By: cbman Re: Anyone using the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump? - 04/05/06 02:04 AM
I see, I wasn't aware that I could get a pressure-adjusting FPR for that price. I understand the need for an increase in fuel pressure when there is positive pressure present on the output side of the injectors. So, now it looks like I have something else to buy.

How long should it take to drop the gas tank and swap the pump?
by yourself without a lift - an hour or two

by your self with a lift and jack - .5-1 hrs

you and friend with a lift and jack - no more than a half hour

our tanks are fairly easy to pull out from what i remeber.
What brand of crack are you guys smoking?

All that you do is pull out the lower part of your rear seat. There is a hole cut in the body that lets you get at the fuel pump. When you get the seat out, you will se a large rubber plug about 6" in diameter. When you pull it out you will see the fuel lines and the wires for the pump and level sender. I could swap both my pump and FPR in less than 30 minutes.

You turn a retaining ring and the whole fuel pump and fuel sender module comes right out. A spiffy diagram...

Dropping the gas tank is a thing of the past. One thing that Ford did right.

BP
Posted By: cbman Re: Anyone using the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump? - 04/05/06 06:11 PM
I wonder if the Cougar has the same setup with the hole in the back seat. I will probablly check in the next few days.
Posted By: cbman Re: Anyone using the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump? - 06/21/06 04:21 AM
ButtonPuncher,
I was considering buying the FPR you mentioned (AEI-13102), but it won't bolt up to my fuel rail. Are you sure you are going to be able to use this FPR?

Also, was the 255lph fuel pump just a direct replacement?
Well the 98+ Contours and Cougars all use a returnless style fuel system. You will need to change over to a return style to use the FPR and 255lph fuel pump. I heard from Turbo Tom on the Focus forums that you can just disconnect the fuel pressure transducer on your fuel rail without any reprogramming. (It the pressure sensor that tells the PCM how much fuel that you pump needs to supply.)

For pre-98's with the return style fuel syetem, it's all a direct swap. And the FPR isn't specualation. I've had mine on and working now for months...

The 255lph pump did require modifying the return line into the tank. (There is soo much fuel flow now that the stock return was aerating the gas. ) I've been meaning to post picks on the upgrade.

So do the Cougars have the fuel pump right under the rear seat too?

HTH,
BP
what fuel pump do you have and where did you get it. ive been looking for a 255lph for the return system and so far have been unable to find one. also if you have pictures of what needed to be modified that would be extremly helpful.

edit: nm i just saw realized you already stated it earlier.
Yep!

I'll post the pictures that I did to the fuel pump return (in the tank) as soon as I find them.

BP
did you ever find those pics of the pump. i think the fpr and pump will be the very next step since i have sort of put the project on hold due to lack of funds.
well i picked up the FPR of ebay for $40 it should be here by wednesday or thursday. the real question is should i go ahead and put it on or wait and do it when i get the pump. im thinking all just go ahead and put it on and then readjust as neceassary when i get the pump.
Just throw it on. It won't hurt anything.

Before you do, check your fuel pressure with the vacuum line on and off. Just so you get it set the same as stock.

I still don't know if it was the pump or the FPR, when I got them installed it got rid of a flat spot in the 4500-5500rpm area.

BP
© CEG Archives