Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/25/06 06:12 PM
By accident on my last fill up I put in Prenium gas, I was down to about a quater tank so when I filled I pretty much got an entire tank of Prenium, 92 octane. it was only like $.20 more a gallon and cost me about $24 to fill up, so I just said "whatever" and drove like that... after a couple of days I noticed a few things, I had more throttle response, the engine revved a little more freely. But the thing that really caught my eye was Gas mileage, I know it is an urban legend that running prenium in a car that doesnt need it can increase gas mileage, but mine has significantly increased, on regular with a full tank on lead foot miles I get about 23 MPG all city driving. I get about 100 miles to a quarter tank, I looked down and observed, and my first quarter tank had given me 125 miles, and the mileage is continueing to impress me. I have never gone this long on a full tank of gas... Does anybody have similar experiances to share with gas? Ill post a more solid figure the next time I fill up, but I can tell that the milage is signnificantly higher then it has been, and im trying to determine if running prenium will be done from now on after this point... Thanks guys.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/25/06 06:50 PM
Premium burns hotter, and isn't a bad idea to run a tank very occasionally to burn up some crap in the engine. If you had some stuff in there, it may have gotten rid of some of it. I still dobut premium could make a signiifcant difference in gas mileage though. The difference could have been from your driving style, temperature, etc.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/25/06 09:06 PM
won't hurt to use it from time to time, it will clean things out. but I wouldn't use it all the time unless you get a chip for the computer
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/25/06 09:14 PM
why would you need a chip to run cleaner fuel??

i run premium in my car all the time, it runs alot better.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 01:24 AM
Originally posted by ZetecGL:

Higher octane does not equal cleaner fuel. Higher octane equals a slower burning fuel. A slower burning fuel is only good for cars tuned for it OR cars that have some sort of problem.

Your car has some sort of problem.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 03:30 AM

I also run premium all the time. I think that the Zetec has a very touchy knock sensor. With crap 87 octane, you get minor deto causing the PCM to pull spark and add more fuel. This kills your power and hurts your mileage.

BTW, I get about 25mpg city. I also have a Pb foot. Actually I think I may have a mercury foot. (heavier than lead )

BP
Posted By: BrandonSVT99 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 04:05 AM
Yep premium for me too. Oh wait I do have an svt, but you don't need a chip to run premium.You zetec guys can run it all the time with out a problem and I would run it if I had the zetec.Premium gas also means increase in throttle response and perfomance.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 04:32 AM

that's not what I said.... I said unless you have a chip on the computer I wouldn't use premium all the time. I said nothing about cleaner.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 04:57 AM
Originally posted by brandonsvt99:
Premium gas also means increase in throttle response and perfomance.

No it doesn't.

Anyways, the only time I measured my gas mileage I got 26mpg with lead food city driving and some stupid highway driving (90+, and slowing down for certain areas, flooring to get back up). Ya'lls gas mileage sorta sucks.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 05:37 AM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:
Originally posted by brandonsvt99:
Premium gas also means increase in throttle response and perfomance.

No it doesn't.

Anyways, the only time I measured my gas mileage I got 26mpg with lead food city driving and some stupid highway driving (90+, and slowing down for certain areas, flooring to get back up). Ya'lls gas mileage sorta sucks.

Yours sucks....I got 34 MPG on the way to the Dragon.....with the blower UNTUNED. 80-110 all the way down.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 06:07 AM
Umm yeah.

I said 26mpg giving it hell. Everyone else was talking about city driving/lead foot driving as well, not highway cruising. I'm sure on the highway it does above 34mpg.

And everyone knows that zetecs get there best gas mileage at 80-~90.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 06:28 AM
Umm yeah.

I said 26mpg giving it hell. Everyone else was talking about city driving/lead foot driving as well, not highway cruising. I'm sure on the highway it does above 34mpg.

Yeah.....me flooring it on the highway was doing great things as far as mileage.....
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 06:36 AM
The Zetec is tuned from the factory for 87 octane. The rather average compression # of 9.something is also well suited to run at 87 octane.
So running anything higher will net nothing. Simple physics of engines. No exceptions!
There is no HP that will be gained. There is no throttle response that will be gained.
If you want to run a higher ocatne 89 is fine, but anything more and you will no longer be burning all of the fuel in the combustion chamber (therefore losing power and gas mileage).
Of course if you have engine knock because soemthing is wrong with your engine, then a higher octane gas will help to prevent the knock. But that's like putting a band-aid on a cut that needs stitches.
Aside from that, any improvement you feel from a higher octane gas is like "I washed my car & now it feels faster".
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 06:37 AM
and I average 30mpg
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 02:53 PM
not sure what I get city but the last time I checked I got 33mpg highway (not all highway, some was stop and go) speed limits ranged from 35 to 65.

the only improvement I see when I run premium is my car doesn't ping going up hills when under a heavy load (2nd 5-6k) if I run premium I don't have the pinging. I don't have increased throttle responce or any more power, just the pinging goes away.
Posted By: Strictlyfocused7 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 04:09 PM
i can drive 70 all the time on the highway and get almost 36 mpg with regular 87... it jumped from 29 when i bought the car, but i also changed the front o2 sensor, the oil, the air filter, the fuel filter, the pcv valve, and the exhaust.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 05:06 PM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:
Umm yeah.

Yeah.....me flooring it on the highway was doing great things as far as mileage.....

Dang, I know your car wasn't the fastest thing ever, but I didn't know it had to be floored to go 90.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 05:10 PM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:
Umm yeah.

Dang, I know your car wasn't the fastest thing ever, but I didn't know it had to be floored to go 90.

I floored it more than once playing on the HW.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/26/06 05:51 PM
Thanks Sleeper, you are damn right. One of these threads pops up all the time. The increased throttle response, etc, is meerly an illusion.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/28/06 03:46 AM
know i want to why im only getting about 24 mpg. city or highway. it doesnt seem to matter i get about the same either way.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/28/06 01:45 PM
Dirty MAF, clogged fuel injectors, dying O2 sensor. All could hurt MPG.

You should also check your plugs, air filter, and fuel filter.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/28/06 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:

plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and O2 senser were just replaced recently. im sure my injectors and MAF arent in the greatest shape anymore seeing as how they have 213000 miles on them.

whats whould be the best way to go about cleaning the injectors.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/28/06 04:17 PM
Originally posted by striker2:
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:

plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and O2 senser were just replaced recently. im sure my injectors and MAF arent in the greatest shape anymore seeing as how they have 213000 miles on them.

Seafoam works really well.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Thoughts at Gas Octane... - 02/28/06 08:33 PM
Originally posted by striker2:

With that many miles, I'd replace them. If you don't have the cash, find a shop that can clean them. This involves removing the injectors, hooking them up in a jig, and running pressurized cleaner through them. The pour-in-the-gas-tank cleaners are only really good for minor buildup and must be done on a regular basis to work.

When your injectors get gummed up, the fuel doesn't come out in a fine spray anymore. Instead, it comes out in drops. Not good.

Contact Bill J. for a price on new ones. He should be able to get you a great deal.

Also, clean your MAF. It can be done in about 15 minutes.

HTH,
BP
© CEG Archives