Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: mcgarvey MAF Adapter - 02/20/06 04:46 PM
Is there any alternative to the BAT adapter to fit a cone filter on my intake? It seems overpriced, and I've noticed dozens if not hundreds of MAF adapters on ebay for other cars selling for just a few dollars. I dont know if anyone here has ever tried to fabricate their own, but is it possible to buy one for a different car's intake and mod it to fit my Zetec?
Posted By: striker2 Re: MAF Adapter - 02/20/06 04:52 PM
just buy a silicone coupler reducer and a small piece of tubeing and then attach the filter that way
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: MAF Adapter - 02/20/06 05:34 PM
Zetecs don't use MAF adapters. Filter goes right on the MAF.
Posted By: mcgarvey Re: MAF Adapter - 02/20/06 07:28 PM
Easy enough. I just assumed, didn't even bother to look. Where can I relocate my intake air temp sensor to?
Posted By: blakjak Re: MAF Adapter - 02/20/06 09:57 PM
drill a small hole in your tubing and squeeze it through and find a nut to go on the threads..and prolly some sort of sealant.

caleb d.
Posted By: mcgarvey Re: MAF Adapter - 02/20/06 10:55 PM
Drill a hole in the tubing between the MAF and throttle? That tubing is corrugated and I don't see how i can get a good seal with the ribs in the rubber. If I'm attaching a cone filter directly to the MAF, where else can i put it?
Posted By: striker2 Re: MAF Adapter - 02/21/06 02:45 AM
im assuming then that you have a post-98 where the IAT is in the air box.

somebody that has done that will have to help you there. mines a pre98 with it in the tubing after the MAF
Posted By: mcgarvey Re: MAF Adapter - 02/21/06 03:22 PM
Yea, it's a 2000. I'm thinking maybe I can drill a hole in the base of the air filter cone itself. Has anyone else on here tried something like this?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: MAF Adapter - 02/21/06 06:09 PM
I've heard of people doing that.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: MAF Adapter - 02/21/06 06:47 PM
Really shouldn't put the cone filte rright on the MAF. It should be atleast 6" (preferably 12" to 18" away). any less and a flow straightener (like the screen on the SVT MAF) should be used.
While not necessary, it will help the computer react to airflow changes better, also provides for a smoother idle.
Posted By: mcgarvey Re: MAF Adapter - 02/21/06 11:17 PM
Are there really any harmful effects from this? From browsing the forums, it looks like lots of people set up their intakes this way with no problems. Not to say you're wrong, but I'm just wondering since I can't figure out any other way to do it.

Also, I want to put some sort of airbox around my cone filter with a pipe going either to the bottom of the engine compartment or the wheel well. I've seen lots of heat shields for sale, but most of these aren't full enclosures. Any suggestions for one that i can hook up a flexible intake hose to so I can draw in cold air?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: MAF Adapter - 02/22/06 12:13 AM
SleeperZ knows what he's talking about when it comes to performance.

With that said, my car idles and runs perfect with the air filter directly on the MAF.
Posted By: chriseichman Re: MAF Adapter - 02/22/06 04:22 AM
Hey if you interested I just saw MAF adapters at autozone tonight and I think they might work, but I don't know.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: MAF Adapter - 02/22/06 04:29 AM
Originally posted by chriseichman:
Hey if you interested I just saw MAF adapters at autozone tonight and I think they might work, but I don't know.

Read my previous post.

We don't need MAF adapters on zetecs.

If you want the filter further away from the MAF, you just use a 3" tube thing.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: MAF Adapter - 02/22/06 07:37 PM
Originally posted by mcgarvey:
Are there really any harmful effects from this? From browsing the forums, it looks like lots of people set up their intakes this way with no problems. Not to say you're wrong, but I'm just wondering since I can't figure out any other way to do it.

Also, I want to put some sort of airbox around my cone filter with a pipe going either to the bottom of the engine compartment or the wheel well. I've seen lots of heat shields for sale, but most of these aren't full enclosures. Any suggestions for one that i can hook up a flexible intake hose to so I can draw in cold air?

A few points;

1) There are no harmful effects from attaching the cone filter directly to the MAF. The stock airbox is directly connected the the MAF.
Its more of a "keeping you from 100% benefits" kind of thing. Although the losses are nothing that the average person would notice.
If you get into tuning or high HP applications, it will become more obvious.

2) The stock airbox has a cold air draw and flows fairly well, there really is no reason to replace it, other than to say you did it. What needs to be replaced is everything between the MAf and the TB.
A K&N cone filter will support 800HP and a K&N panel filter will support 500HP. (Those aren't exact numbers, but it makes the pont). Which means both can flow way more air than the Zetec can suck in. The pressure drop difference between the two is like 0.000x (in other words, too small to notice).

3) The real intake problem with the Zetec is the intake manifold. Its a bad design. Too little volume and not great for airflow. If you want to get above 170BHP it has to be replaced.
The pre98 Contour manifold is almost a perfect match to the famed early 2000 Focus manifold. So don't bother looking for one of those to have "optimized".

4) The intake question has been asked way too many times here. There is tons of info and pics available. A very nice intake setup can be found "stickied" at the top of the Zetec Performance forum.
© CEG Archives