Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SoboDave What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 02:41 AM
I have a 2.0L 98 Contour with 108,000 miles. I haven't modded anything and everything is in great shape. I just discovered this site and a little overwhelmed. If I wanted to start with a small mod to enging or suspension, like something that cost under $200, is there anything at that level that a beginner could do themselves that would make a difference in how the car performs?
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 02:48 AM
Originally posted by SoboDave:
I have a 2.0L 98 Contour with 108,000 miles. I haven't modded anything and everything is in great shape. I just discovered this site and a little overwhelmed. If I wanted to start with a small mod to enging or suspension, like something that cost under $200, is there anything at that level that a beginner could do themselves that would make a difference in how the car performs?

first things first..auto or manual tranns? for under two hundred?hmmmmmmmm you could prob pick up or make a intake...or i heard the zetec does alright with some underdrive pulleys,cam gears....
Posted By: owen_SVT Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 02:52 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:
first things first..auto or manual tranns? for under two hundred?hmmmmmmmm you could prob pick up or make a intake...or i heard the zetec does alright with some underdrive pulleys,cam gears....

agreed!
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 02:59 AM
Welcome to the CEG!

Enjoy the site!
Posted By: Tourige Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 03:11 AM
same as any car, intake, then catback, then headers, then whatever else you think is necessary, that or you could save up and buy a Duratec for what it would cost you.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 03:15 AM
Save your money.
Posted By: nofx198e5 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 03:22 AM
Get a HUUUUGE parkbench wing and put on some sweet decals!!

+ ~50 HP!!!

No really, how about elky mesh and tint?

I don't know what you could do performance wise for uner $200. Maybe an air intake?... Used exhaust?
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 04:06 AM

No mods yet. I suppose that means you're on your original suspension, right?

Let's see, under $200...

Used rear early SE or SVT swaybar (check the classifieds) and new Energy Suspension poly bar/endlink bushings (SP Motorsports).

After that, you might have enough left for a rear strut brace (check the Group Buy section), depending on what you payed for the rear bar.

What kind of wheels do you have? Tranny?

Anyway, I'd hit the suspension hard before I did any engine work. I think you'll always be disappointed with your engine mods (unless you spend considerable money), whereas there are a lot of basically underpowered cars out there that are loads of fun because they are so tossable. Swaybars make a big difference.

And I ask about your "original" suspension because surely it's due soon for some love, at which time you may want to upgrade--but maybe that's not quite for a beginner. Get comfortable with the car, first. Anyway my point is that replacing all of the components with OEM pieces isn't that much less than replacing with something like the BAT kit.

Posted By: KerryKool Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 05:52 AM
I'd do what I'm doing, save and buy a better car. The 2.0L is great and all but remember your modding a contour, its not the greatest car to mod with, since there isn't many mods out there for it.

But if you really want to do something to it, do the SleeperZ intake (sticky found on top of catagory), replace air filter with K&N filter, and replace resonator with aftermarket one (magnaflow has one that fits nearly perfect.) With these mods you should get 10HP gain or more and save money to use for gas.

I haven't done any of these mods but I have upgraded my audio and I'm glad I did. But its up to you what you want to do, "The power is yours." (Captain planet's motto for you that don't remember. )

Hope this helps.
Posted By: jtour Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 02:48 PM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:
Save your money.

I agree, I would go with audio mods. You will enjoy it more and you can take it out once you get rid of the car.

Posted By: striker2 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 04:02 PM
Originally posted by jtour:
Save your money.

I agree, I would go with audio mods. You will enjoy it more and you can take it out once you get rid of the car.

i dont know if i agree with you on that one. ok so it is just the zetec, but its still fun as hell. espically with a few suspension mods. besides if you have the time, money, patience, and knowledge you can always turbo it. then you can easily be makeing more than an svt and no one will suspect anything.

i saw take your time and SLEEPER that [censored].
Posted By: elraido Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 05:22 PM
you can mod ztecs? LOL J.K!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/16/06 10:51 PM
Originally posted by elraido:

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/17/06 12:53 AM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:

So why did you get rid of your again????
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/17/06 07:01 AM
+1

I finally said "screw it, this car ain't going to do it for me" and started saving money. My dreams will finally come true in the very near future. I'm almost certain of buying a very very clean '85 Mustang LX COUPE in BLACK. 4-cylinder Manual.

To make it sweeter, Even after buying the car, I'll still have enough money for a 302 and a T5 swap. To make it EVEN SWEETER, my friend has the exact same car, minus the neat-O Boss style spoiler. I know what I'll be doing over spring break, and it involves copious amounts of assembly lube...

Saving is THE WAY TO GO unless you have a six or SVT.

But in a four cylinder, audio the hell out of the car. Make what you can enjoyable.
Posted By: jtour Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/17/06 03:55 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
+1

I finally said "screw it, this car ain't going to do it for me" and started saving money. My dreams will finally come true in the very near future. I'm almost certain of buying a very very clean '85 Mustang LX COUPE in BLACK. 4-cylinder Manual.

To make it sweeter, Even after buying the car, I'll still have enough money for a 302 and a T5 swap. To make it EVEN SWEETER, my friend has the exact same car, minus the neat-O Boss style spoiler. I know what I'll be doing over spring break, and it involves copious amounts of assembly lube...

Saving is THE WAY TO GO unless you have a six or SVT.

But in a four cylinder, audio the hell out of the car. Make what you can enjoyable.

I agree with you 110%. I was in the same boat. I have a 99LX 4 banger contour and I was thinking of modding it out (engine wise) but I realized that it wasnt worth it. So I bought a 95 Mustang GT 5.0L You have to realize you need a car that has a better platform to build on. If I had an SVT it would be a different story. But just save you money and buy a car you can really enjoy. Go with audio mods.
Posted By: blakjak Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/17/06 04:17 PM
i disagree to a certain extent. sure, you could save your money and buy a sweet ride and make it better, but if it's your first car, or you don't make a lot of money, or this is all you can afford to drive than get an intake, svt exhaust, underdrive pulley, cams, and s/c it. it's better if it's a manual, but even an atx can still be quick (for an atx). oh yeah, find a chip. suspension wise, listen to what everyone's said about that and heed their advice.

caleb d.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/17/06 07:15 PM
Originally posted by the other davis:
or this is all you can afford to drive than get an intake, svt exhaust, underdrive pulley, cams, and s/c it.

If you can afford all that, then you can afford another car.

Ya'll must not have looked at the prices of SVTs lately.
I didn't win the lottery to get mine, they are just CHEAP! Everyone should get one.
Posted By: blakjak Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/17/06 08:56 PM
yeah, but if your gonna have the car a long time, you can do it over a longer period of time and still have something a little snappy.

btw, what parts are you selling from your old tour?

caleb d.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/17/06 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Bk4293L:

So why did you get rid of your again????

I got rid of it because I had no time to do what I needed to do.

At least I got rid of my Zetec when it was running.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/18/06 12:16 AM
You need to think carefully about what you want the car to be, what your plans are for resale, and what might change those plans. Then you can work towards that incrementally. What you're really looking to do is not only do something that will help the car perform better, but also will be helpful as long as you have it, and will either sell well with the car or come off easily and resale by itself.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/18/06 01:09 AM
I agree with autox fil. Think about it carefully. I regret doing so much to my zetec. Stuff like cam gears, udp, TB, and intake that I won't remove to sell it but don't add to its value.

If you REALLY want to mod it, maybe suspension, chip (if auto), lower temp thermostat, tranny cooler (if auto) and some audio. None of that is too hard to install or remove (suspension being the hardest) and will be your best bang for the buck.
Posted By: elraido Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/18/06 01:12 AM

and you have to realize the INSANE amounts of money you sunk into that car and how much you got out of it. I do realize you like doing that and respect it, but there just isn't a whole lot that can be done to the ztec besides the intake, exhaust, pullies and if you have major $ s.c.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/18/06 03:40 AM

and you have to realize the INSANE amounts of money you sunk into that car and how much you got out of it. I do realize you like doing that and respect it, but there just isn't a whole lot that can be done to the ztec besides the intake, exhaust, pullies and if you have major $ s.c.

That's complete and total crap. There are tons of mods you can do to every car.

Performance coatings, port and polish cylinder head,
Balance / blueprint and lighten bottom end (or use Focus components like in my sig and B&B them); Cams are out there, bigger valves are out there. The internet is practically busting at the seems with parts for the do-it-yourselfer to build a custom turbo. The SCT PRP and XCAL-2 work, injectors and bigger MAFS are easily had from other ford engines. T.H. can build a Zetec MTX just like he builds D-tec trannies and with the D-tec final drive LOOKOUT! You just have to get on the net and dig around, shake some trees, and turn over some rocks and you'll be overwhelmed by the mods that are available.

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/18/06 04:57 AM

It did what it needed to do good. Gave reliable all the time power for my daily driver. I spent a decent chunk of change......but what I learned has carried over to my new car.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/18/06 05:41 AM

It did what it needed to do good. Gave reliable all the time power for my daily driver. I spent a decent chunk of change......but what I learned has carried over to my new car.

Indeed. As similar as the Evo and Pre98 4-cylinder automatic Contour are, there are many tried-and-true lessons that can be learned by studying the Ford. Like how to count the number of spark plug wires, or perhaps which side the driver sits on.

Seriously, though, boost is boost. I think it must have been a great intro course to lead into the uber-complexity that is the EVO.
Posted By: SoboDave Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/19/06 03:14 AM
Thanks for the tips. I think I am going to start with the underdrive pulley.

My car is in great shape and want to keep it as my daily driver for years. When I need to start replacing worn out suspension stuff, I am going to try to upgrade to better than stock.

I am not going to do audio because where I park to commute to work isn't in the best area and my inexpensive stereo was already stolen once....what a pain!

By the way, I have a 5-speed with the standard 14" tires.
Posted By: elraido Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/19/06 04:03 AM
Originally posted by ohsigmachi:

Balance / blueprint and lighten bottom end (or use Focus components like in my sig and B&B them); Cams are out there, bigger valves are out there. The internet is practically busting at the seems with parts for the do-it-yourselfer to build a custom turbo. The SCT PRP and XCAL-2 work, injectors and bigger MAFS are easily had from other ford engines. T.H. can build a Zetec MTX just like he builds D-tec trannies and with the D-tec final drive LOOKOUT! You just have to get on the net and dig around, shake some trees, and turn over some rocks and you'll be overwhelmed by the mods that are available.

Do you realize how much mods like those cost? And most of those mods you can't do yourself either so you would need to pay labor on them as well. Hector did a great job with his car, most people wouldn't spend money like that but then again he isn't most people.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/19/06 08:01 AM
Originally posted by ohsigmachi:

Do you realize how much mods like those cost? And most of those mods you can't do yourself either so you would need to pay labor on them as well. Hector did a great job with his car, most people wouldn't spend money like that but then again he isn't most people.

Damn right I ain't most people!
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/20/06 05:53 AM
Elraido,

If you bothered to check my sig, you'd realize I know exactly how much those things cost.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/21/06 07:22 PM
The Zetec is a nice engine and the Contour is a great car, but together they make for a below average starting platform to build a quick car.
The barriers to overcome are more expensive then most people want to spend. So they should just buy a Honda.
Not that's there's anything wrong with owning a Honda, they can be very quick and even very fast. I would take a new s2000 over a new Mazda MX5.
The problem with Honda is that they are too "cookie cutter" for my taste. Everybody owns them and mods them in almost the same exact way.
I choose the Contour for its original style and I was impressed with its handling characteristics. After a few mods, I absolutely love the way the car drives. And that is the true calling of the car. Remember, corners, not straight-aways. Even once I add cams, install my header, and tune the whole thing, I don�t expect to be any quicker than a stock SVT.
So if you want a car that is fast in a straight line, the Contour (in any form) IS NOT the way to go. Even a heavily modded SVT is really not that fast. Over $6k for a 3L swap and turbo to reach low 13�s is not impressive. The same money spent on any number of 4 or 6 cylinder imports and you�ll be in the 12�s. And the whole project will be bolt-on and a lot easier to tune.
Life sucks to be an unappreciated, discontinued, fleet sales/rental car. And that is what makes a lot of what people have done with their Contours even more impressive than doing it with an import. I would take a well done Contour, like say Demon�s car, over a 12 second Honda. The style, handling, and just being different make up for the lack of speed.
All that said, it boils down to personal choice. If it�s the car you�ll have it for awhile and you�re not concerned with resale, then have some fun, learn a little, and mod away.
Posted By: blakjak Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/21/06 10:25 PM
Agreed.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/22/06 12:16 AM
Someone brought to my attention a reason for modding the zetec over a duratec. It's easier to work on. With many young people getting into cars, if they want something to learn on, than the zetec is fine for that. A duratec is a pita to work on with the cramped engine bay and could discourage many teens from modding.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/22/06 03:34 AM
Very true. With my battery relocated, I could fit two cases of beer under the hood.

By the way, I have a 5-speed with the standard 14" tires.

Lucky! I'm still looking for a MTX Zetec. Screw that V6 crap.

Once you do the intake, and the UDP, it will really wake up your Zetec. There also have been a bunch of WeaponR headers that have popped up on ebay for about $275. That with a SVT exhaust would be a nice setup, all for about $400.

HTH,
BP
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/22/06 07:42 PM
If you want a fun car, work on the suspension. Much more pleasure per dollar to be had.

With an UDP, optimized TB, intake, and a full exhaust the car will feel like it has alot more power.

Posted By: jtour Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/23/06 01:21 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
I would take a well done Contour, like say Demon�s car, over a 12 second Honda.

I agree. I would take an SVT over a Honda any day. Simply because its an SVT. I love the idea of it being rare and sporty.

Posted By: Hydramatic Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/24/06 07:33 AM
Originally posted by jtour:
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
I would take a well done Contour, like say Demon�s car, over a 12 second Honda.

I agree. I would take an SVT over a Honda any day. Simply because its an SVT. I love the idea of it being rare and sporty.

Unless that Honda happens to be an S2000 or a J-spec NSX, I'd have to agree with you.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/24/06 07:35 AM
I'd take a svt 03/04 cobra over a s2000 any day.... and probably over a nsx.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/24/06 08:08 AM
And I'd take a '70 Plymouth Superbird with special HEMI equipment package. Lessee, what were the numbers STOCK? I remember it was severely underrated at 425 hp/490 lb/ft while it was being sold. I say grab some meaty tires and let the pony-car ass-kicking commence.

Don't get me wrong I like Mustangs and all, and I'm about to buy one, but Mopar will always be my #1 choice for sheer brute force.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/24/06 02:51 PM
Umm yeah. Straight line. Woo weee. I also like to turn.
Posted By: elraido Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/24/06 08:57 PM
mclaren
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/25/06 12:29 AM
mclaren

Meh, they're alright and pretty rare, but nothing all that special bout em.

http://ascmclaren.com/
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/25/06 12:34 AM
I'm a college student, and don't have much extra money, maybe $500 to spend on the car for an entire summer's work. The mods I've done so far, and like:

Ford racing 9mm spark plug wires ($40)
new rims/tires 15" ($600)
SVT sway bar w/ poly bushings ($30)
Silverstar bulbs ($30)
Elky mesh in grille/bumper ($45)
some fogs ($20 for proburners, $50 for hellas)

I've done many other things like audio, etc., but there is plenty of things to do for cheap.
Posted By: elraido Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/25/06 05:16 AM
mclaren

ummmm insainly fast and good looking
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/25/06 06:41 AM
mclaren

Yeah they're pretty good looking, but not all that different from the regular models and I definitely wouldn't say insanely fast.
Posted By: blakjak Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/25/06 08:42 PM
mclaren

Yeah they're pretty good looking, but not all that different from the regular models and I definitely wouldn't say insanely fast.

i think he may have been refering to the McLaren F1

Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/25/06 09:05 PM
first mod with 108k would be an engine rebuild. I'm usre the tranny ATX or MTX could use some work too
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/25/06 09:33 PM
108,000 and your saying rebuild?

if he took good care of it, 108k is nothing.

mine has 137k on it, runs like the day i got it.. compression is fine everything is..
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/26/06 12:17 AM
mclaren

i think he may have been refering to the McLaren F1

Thanks captain obvious.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/26/06 03:24 AM
Originally posted by ZetecGL:

mine has 137k on it, runs like the day i got it.. compression is fine everything is..

Ditto. 138k burns no oil and runs perfectly. The only thing that I would replace would be the intake manifuld gasket. Also, if it's a pre-98, clean the intake as well. The EGR really clogs it up.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/26/06 05:30 AM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:

Ditto. 138k burns no oil and runs perfectly. The only thing that I would replace would be the intake manifuld gasket. Also, if it's a pre-98, clean the intake as well. The EGR really clogs it up.

BP

Intake manifold gasket?
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/26/06 06:25 AM
Yep. Even thought it is a thick aluminum gasket, the actual gasket material is an 1/8" wide rubber channel. It started to go bad on the #4 cylinder causing all kinds of problems. Bad idle, misfires...not good. It seems to be more of a problem on the Pre-98's but now that the 98+'s are getting older, I'd be concerned.

I'm more of a preventative maintenance kind of guy. I would have saved myself ALOT of headaches by replacing the gasket around 100k. It started to act up around 110k. Extremely cold winter days are when it was the worst. I ended up changing out the MAF, injectors, EGR, and IAC before finding out that it was the stupid gasket. I replaced it with a nice Fel-Pro one.

BP
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/26/06 05:08 PM
I have 120k+ miles on my zetec, runs fine. No new manifold gasket.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/26/06 06:19 PM
Good for you. You're also in Georgia. I'd recommend it to anyone where it gets cold. Or is having weird misfire, idle problems.

BP
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/26/06 06:56 PM
im on 137k and no manifold gasket. and it probably gets as cold (if not colder) here. no idle issues (875 in park, 500 in drive)
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/27/06 02:14 AM
Again, I'm just suggesting some preventative maintenance. Do it, don't do it, I don't give a sh!t. It's your car.
Posted By: elraido Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/27/06 04:36 AM
im on 137k and no manifold gasket. and it probably gets as cold (if not colder) here. no idle issues (875 in park, 500 in drive)

first and foremost, no it isn't colder in new york then it is in wisconsin. New yorkers whine and complain when it approaches near zero------"oh no, it is almost zero out side! and we are on national new because of it " Unless you are talking about being in georgia, then that is a no brainer. And yes I was talking about the Mclaren f1 and how in the world is that not a fast car....it used to be the fasest prduction car ever made!!!!!!!!
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/27/06 04:54 AM
i dont 'whine' when it gets cold out.. i actually love the cold weather.. i hate when its hot out.

btw, if you think im near nyc (which there its not really 'cold' at all) I'm not, I'm on the other side of the state
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/27/06 06:12 AM
And yes I was talking about the Mclaren f1 and how in the world is that not a fast car....it used to be the fasest prduction car ever made!!!!!!!!

It was a joke. I posted the link to the asc mclaren, so it should have been pretty obvious. Anyways, the mclaren f1 was a piece of junk, but it was pretty fast.
Posted By: blakjak Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/27/06 05:29 PM
Thanks captain obvious.

and yet you put a link to the McLaren Mustang/Capri on there...hmm..
not the same car.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/27/06 05:51 PM
Thanks captain obvious.

and yet you put a link to the McLaren Mustang/Capri on there...hmm..
not the same car.

Again.... thanks captain obvious and captain miss the joke.
Posted By: blakjak Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/27/06 10:48 PM
your welcome captain pain in the ass
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/27/06 11:59 PM
Dangggg , captain grumpy
Posted By: elraido Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/28/06 01:45 AM
people need captain morgan?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/28/06 02:15 AM
captain morgan is my friend
Posted By: blakjak Re: What should be the first mod? - 02/28/06 09:44 PM
captain morgan is my friend

yes, he is a very nice man.. mm (..walks towards cabinet..)
© CEG Archives