Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Mystique97 Think this'll work? - 01/13/06 06:21 PM
I found this CAI on EBay for a 00-04 Focus and was wondering if it'll work on the Contour Zetecs, I'm thinking yes, but I'm just making sure.
Intake.
Thanks in advance guys.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Think this'll work? - 01/13/06 06:37 PM
Stuff isn't in the same spot. Not gonna work as cold air. Maybe part of it can be positioned as a normal intake. Just follow sleeperz's intake thing.
Posted By: jtour Re: Think this'll work? - 01/13/06 07:25 PM
If you do get it dont use that cheap filter. I would go out and get a good filter if I were you.

Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Think this'll work? - 01/13/06 07:28 PM

What's wrong with using cheap filters?
Posted By: jtour Re: Think this'll work? - 01/13/06 08:01 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:

mmmmmmmmmm using cheap filters means more dirt and junk get into your engine. causing BIG PROBLEMS!!!
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Think this'll work? - 01/13/06 10:24 PM
K&N 3" filter. The only way to go.

3" Inlet, 5" Long
3" Inlet, 6" long
3" Inlet, 6.5" Long
3" Inlet, 8" long
3" Inlet, 9" long

I think I have a 8" long round filter currently on my custom CAI.

(BTW, S&B makes good filters good as well. )

HTH,
BP
Posted By: jtour Re: Think this'll work? - 01/14/06 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
K&N 3" filter. The only way to go.

3" Inlet, 5" Long
3" Inlet, 6" long
3" Inlet, 6.5" Long
3" Inlet, 8" long
3" Inlet, 9" long

I think I have a 8" long round filter currently on my custom CAI.

(BTW, S&B makes good filters good as well. )

HTH,
BP

EXACTLY!!!! Beautiful CAI! I commend you on the custom work!

Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Think this'll work? - 01/14/06 04:51 AM
Wow wait a second, I'm not looking to do that much work just a basic intake set up, I'm kinda on a budget here.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Think this'll work? - 01/14/06 06:46 AM
Originally posted by jtour:

mmmmmmmmmm using cheap filters means more dirt and junk get into your engine. causing BIG PROBLEMS!!!

I was being sarcastic.

I really need to upload pictures and instructions of how to do my $18 CAI setup. I swear it is a fun piece to have on the car, and the intake howl is splendorous!

Oh. And it uses cheap filters too! Purolator paper filters to be exact! If anyone is interested, PM me, I'll type you up the instructions. I've had zero issues with it so far, with about 4K miles on the setup. I still need to get around to showing GS474 how to do it...
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Think this'll work? - 01/14/06 03:38 PM
Oh oh oh, PM me I want to know your ways of the intake.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: Think this'll work? - 01/14/06 08:00 PM
care to share with the class???
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Think this'll work? - 01/15/06 01:52 AM

Cheap filters=sand and dirt in your engine

$20 extra for a good filter is a whole lot cheaper than having your block honed and putting on new piston rings.

It's good when things can be done cheaply, but you need to know where not to go too cheap or it can cost you big in the long run.

HTH,
BP
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Think this'll work? - 01/15/06 10:46 PM
What I mean by "cheap filters" is the ones you can buy in an autoparts store, usually made of paper.I'm not talking aboat foamies or clothies. I like to think that a good Purolator paper-style filter, as in one that would come as an OEM part(maybe not on a Contique, but a production vehicle nonetheless)filters out contaminants to the auto manufacturer in questions' standards, which tend to be set high enough to prevent damage to their engines. To put it bluntly, I trust Purolator over K&N as far as sediment filtration goes. A paper filter doesn't flow as much air as an oil/cloth type, but it catches more crap. Yeah, you have to pay for a new one every time you replace it, it can't get wet, and it doesn't flow quite as well, but I like the idea of my engine being protected to a higher degree over a 1 hp handicap to the K&N. It really comes down to the question: What do you value more, your car as an investment or your car as a performance machine(which my '97 Zetec happens to not be in the classical sense...)?

A short ram intake with a paper filter still offers a noticeable increase in performance over stock, just not quite to the degree as the K&N.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Think this'll work? - 01/16/06 04:49 AM
A paper filter doesn't flow as much air as an oil/cloth type, but it catches more crap.

Got any supportin evidence there detective?
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Think this'll work? - 01/16/06 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
A paper filter doesn't flow as much air as an oil/cloth type, but it catches more crap.

Got any supportin evidence there detective?

Got any evidence to prove me wrong?

Even so, here's a link to a site where an actual test was performed and data recorded. The graph pictures didn't show up for me, but the results are summarized underneath them. Linky

I simply don't trust K&N with the innards of my Zetec, plain and simple. Besides, there is a reason behind the fact that no automaker in the world lets their cars come with one. Not even the ones that can afford to will do it. Think on that a bit and get back to me...

As for all of you who want a write-up, I'll get to work on it and PM all of you with the filter part # and a step-by-step explanation. It only takes about 10 minutes if you know your engine bay at all and have the right tools(aka screwdriver and socket for taking battery ground off).
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Think this'll work? - 01/16/06 06:59 AM
I was just askin for the supportin evidence buddddyyyy. Didn't say nuffin bout provin nobody rong.

The reason no automaker uses a reuseable, especially oiled, filter has nothing to do with their efficiency. Think on that, and don't get back to me.

BTW, yeah so K & N lets some dirt through. I guess there is some give and take when it comes to getting power. A better filtering filter is more restrictive (baaaaad). As long as it keeps the butterflies and leaves out, I'm alright with it. The rest can burn up in that there combustion chamber.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Think this'll work? - 01/16/06 07:07 AM
I don't want to get in a fight over something so stupid as this. Sorry if I sounded a little smug there.

I know darn well why they don't use them.

As for filtration, I just prefer paper. Simple as that. Other people can use what they want and do what they want to their engines. It isn't up to me, nor should it be. I only offer what I know, and whether anyone chooses to accept it is entirely up to them.

Posted By: jtour Re: Think this'll work? - 01/16/06 01:23 PM
Like my sig says

"Do what you like, because you have to drive it."

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Think this'll work? - 01/16/06 05:03 PM
Concurage.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Think this'll work? - 01/16/06 05:30 PM
WHOA! Mr. way to much cologne wearer!>>

You've got 4 gallons of cologne and a plan...

WHOA! NOw21!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Think this'll work? - 01/16/06 11:43 PM
wha?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Think this'll work? - 01/17/06 01:35 AM
I got a case in point.....My Zetec ever since 30k has had a "reusable" open air filter. I know I didn't clean and oil them as often as I should have. I beat the car EVRY single day (sucking in a lot more air than normal). At 140K when I got rid of the car it ran just as good as the day I bought the car. Point being that IF the open air filter sucked in more crap....my Zetec would have been toast....but it wasn't. Besides the particles that would have passed would have been burnt to nothing by the time it got to anywhere important. I think my story is proof enough that there is no negative effects to running a K&N or something similar.

How do you like them apples?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Think this'll work? - 01/17/06 01:57 AM
That's what Im saying. That's a hot fire in there and them dust particles gonna burrrrnnn.
Posted By: jtour Re: Think this'll work? - 01/17/06 02:21 AM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:
I got a case in point.....My Zetec ever since 30k has had a "reusable" open air filter. I know I didn't clean and oil them as often as I should have. I beat the car EVRY single day (sucking in a lot more air than normal). At 140K when I got rid of the car it ran just as good as the day I bought the car. Point being that IF the open air filter sucked in more crap....my Zetec would have been toast....but it wasn't. Besides the particles that would have passed would have been burnt to nothing by the time it got to anywhere important. I think my story is proof enough that there is no negative effects to running a K&N or something similar.

How do you like them apples?

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty!

Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Think this'll work? - 01/18/06 01:37 AM
Good enough for me...

I'll stick with paper tho...
© CEG Archives