Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: WildChild Upgrading my engine - 11/20/05 03:49 AM
Finally I am back home and can take care of some much needed maintenance to the tour. I have a cyl head from a 00' focus(picked up at a junk yard) that I planed on installing on my 96 Contour.

A set of Ford Racing cams stageII(m-6252-a202)$352
Esslinger/Crower valve springs Stage1 kit $49.99
BDL industries full rail 00' Focus(needs to be moded for the fuel return line)
Ford Racing 30lb injectors $160
Focus manifold intake from Ebay $55
65mm throttle(won't fit without spacer) but stock TB fits fine for now
Lager MAF (but might not install since it wasn't calibrated for the tour)
New gaskets for everything
Accel coil
Ford Racing 9mm wires
Intake and Exhaust mod finished.

All of the head work will be done wherever the shop sends it. The installation and tuning will be done there also.
I know that there is more I can do along with this, but wasn't sure what. Anyone have any ideas?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/20/05 04:44 AM
Turbo?
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/20/05 05:45 AM
The head has a TON of power to be had(I really think people neglect the head on focaljet). Here's what I did/am doing to my
Ford Racing Head.

1) Unshroud valves and open Exhuast port behind valves.
2) Cams diamond polished by Bret Conway @ performance research and coated in casidiam $375 per cam plus poloshing charges
3. Valve faces coated in TBC by Swaintech $8ea
4. Combustion Chambers and exhaust ports right behind valves coated same as valve faces intake ports coated in Flow coat $352.
5. Valve springs mikronited and then sent to Swaintech ~$90+$116.
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/20/05 07:40 AM
I didn't know you could get heat treating like that, but it sounds like a great idea. I will have to consider that for my stage three cam upgade and parts(turbo) within a few years.

The shop I'm getting my engine work done at is here in Diego, so if anyone want's to get hooked up let me know. I'm just waiting for now. They told me that on Mon they would take the head up to get machined and on Tues it would be ready. I wish I was doing the work myself so that I can put picks up, but I'm not.

"When I get old, I feel like this will be my one car that sits in the back yard covered up; just another memory that I couldn't get rid of because I loved it to much."

USC beat Fresno St by the way, thats #33 in a row in case anyone wanted to know.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/20/05 10:42 PM
hmmm,I'm liking the sounds of this. I'm starting my Zetec build in the spring and I was gonna doa bunch of head work to it,and seeing this,well,it's a lot cheaper than what I expected....except that the supercharger will eat up any funds I thought I saved,lol.
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/21/05 05:04 AM
I think it will be worth it in the long run.

The stock fuel rail on my car has a smaller line atached to the top of it. I figured this was the return line for my system. The BDL rail that I have does not have this, nor does it have an aditional hole besides the supply and mounting holes for the reulator. Does anyone know of a good fuel pressure regulator that has any return capabilities?

I've been looking, but wanted to ask before I spent the money on one.

In addition I have been looking into purchasing the Greddy E-Manage , any thoughts on this piggy back system?
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/21/05 07:40 AM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:
Turbo?

+1
Do it so I can copy you and make it better.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/21/05 02:12 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Turbo?

+1

...but it's an automatic.....

I'll sell you my V6 MTX to help fund my Zetec build....
Posted By: Wulfen Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/21/05 11:11 PM
Why you guys just don't buy the FRPP head with stage 3 cams...
It's almost prefect whens you get it out of the box.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 12:40 AM
Quote:

Why you guys just don't buy the FRPP head with stage 3 cams...
It's almost prefect whens you get it out of the box.

I did(almost crower stg II turbos instead) and it's not.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 05:39 AM
Originally posted by TwoTwinTours:
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Turbo?

+1

...but it's an automatic.....

I'll sell you my V6 MTX to help fund my Zetec build....

Why does everyone tell me this? I've driven plenty of turbo automatics that were really cool, like my friends' Jetta GLI ATX. That isn't a high-dollar car, and it's ATX can deal with it...

what's ya'lls aversion to turbo automatics? I think it would make my car unique...
Posted By: Wulfen Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 05:54 AM
Just think about Hector with his ATX S/C...

Why sell it WHY?!?!
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 06:29 AM
Exactly. If Hector could do it with a blower, I can do it with a turbo. Now I'm pumped up. So what donor car would yield a turbine suitable for my car? maybe the one from the MB 300TD? Or what about from an old audi or mitsubishi? Most of the process would have to be fabbed up custom-like. I guess I could replace the catalytic converter with the turbo and it's piping. I could put a high-flow one down after the turbine. That position would keep the turbine cooled down by the cooling fan and air flowing in through the grill. It would also simplify the running of lines to an external oil cooler. Then, after removing my worthless AC components, the free space freed up would allow for the installation of an intercooler and intake piping. Of course I would need to upgrade the fuel delivery systems and change the computer to operate correctly with boost as well. Speaking of boost, I wouldn't plan too much, as in under 8 psi. I would like to keep upgrades to the valvetrain to a minimum, but if it has to be done, I don't really mind.

I don't think the guys over in F/I would even talk to me about this kind of project so I'll try it here. What do you guys think about my rough thesis of what I want to do?
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 08:07 AM
CD4E + 8psi of low RPM high tourque boost = Dead CD4E
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ohsigmachi:

I said less than 8 psi. I believe Hector was putting out about that much boost and his didn't die. Peculiar...
Posted By: heath13steps Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 02:21 PM
One thing I recommmend is put in ALL ROYAL PURPLE fluids ATF fluid, oil, antifreeze coolant everything!!!!
in case all of you didnt know.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 08:56 PM
This isn't to rain on anybody's parade, but....
The Zetec is just not meant for N/A applications.
Build a turbo or s/c setup.
On FocalJet the major modded Zetecs hit 170-180wHP.
That includes; head, cams, increased compression, intake, exhaust, exhaust header, udp, intake manifold, custom tuning, larger TB and MAF.
But a reasonable turbo will put down 220wHP no problem (on crap 87 pump gas) and costs 1/3 the price.
If you want to go N/A just to go N/A, more power to you.
But if you really want a decently fast car, FI is the only way to go.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/22/05 09:18 PM
I'm still thinking about that carbureted idea. Hey sleeper, if I did that carb setup, what kind of Computer changes would I need to do? could I eliminate the ECU completely?
I would love to do that idea.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 12:37 AM
Quote:

Originally posted by ohsigmachi:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said less than 8 psi. I believe Hector was putting out about that much boost and his didn't die. Peculiar...

I was refering to a smallish turbo setup thats yields a high tourqe #, low in the RPM range. Hector ran an SC which gives the vast majority of its gains in the upper ranges and doesn't produce near the tourque of a turbo.

Once more with feeling "high tourque @low RPM + CD4E = dead CD4E"

If you insist on TCing an ATX I would suggest a trans cooler at a bare minimum.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 12:46 AM
well no duh. of course I would do a Trans Cooler. I really am leaning more towards the Carbbed idea tho. It's cheaper and yields better gains.
Posted By: Wulfen Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 01:06 AM
Where is Seawulf when we need him...
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 01:42 AM
Quote:

Where is Seawulf when we need him...

Who here needs him?

Posted By: Wulfen Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 01:46 AM
We need him for reliable info on F/I Zetec.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 01:51 AM
just search here and on NECO, he's pretty much posted everything he's ever observed.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 02:11 AM
Well tell him to get back over here.

Por QUE SEAWULF!?!
Posted By: Wulfen Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 02:36 AM
Here's some info for F/I
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/23/05 07:16 PM
Individual throttle body (ITB) setup would be the best n/a setup for the Zetec.
yes with a carb you can dleete the ECU, but unlessyou know what you are doing, this is a bad idea.
Besides ITB will net the most gains.
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/24/05 10:51 PM
Turbo?

N/A than turbo is my plan, rather than stock to turbo. I figured I'd get as much hp out of the engine as posible first, than ad the turbo It will keep me from have to make the other upgrades later down the line.

Besides I'm in no hurry to get done with the car.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/25/05 12:19 AM
Ok, so how do I go about accomplishing this. I literally have two TBs for my car already(one new one on the car, and the old one in a box.) What kind of intake manifold could I pick up for this kind of setup? I would need two more TBs right? And then three split-off cables to run to the other throttle-bodies. I'm kinda likin' this idea sleeper! Tell me more.

Edit:

I just thought of something. Let's say I somehow get an intake manifold that allows me to run my two TBs horizontally. I would need an intake plenum(possibly just an insulated box with in inlet the corresponding diameter to the stock accordian tubing) to retain throttle response right? Well from there on couldn't I just use the stock intake tubing? I've already made my own custom short ram-style intake out of the original stuff. Other than needing that intake manifold and the extra cable, this sounds like it'd be a pretty easy way to gain performance...

Wait, what about the IAC valve? nuts... how would I replicate the effect? Could I just bolt it to the new intake plenum? I actually have two of those too...

Also, would the stock ECU be able to compensate for the changes or would I need to upgrade a bit? Same question for fuel injectors...
Posted By: MazTour Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/25/05 08:02 AM
Quick Q here...

I'm starting buildup of my Zetec in the spring. MOney is a factor. I was going to SC it off the bat,but the kit is almost $3k. I could build the motor NA off the bat and still make it pretty quick,and then later on bolt on the SC after I've made sure the motor is running well and sorted out all the gremlins.

What would you do? Build it NA to make sure it works,then go SC later when I can have more $$$ or go all out and go SC right away?
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/25/05 10:09 AM
Buy this turbo with the internal wastegate.
Put this on it
Use this instead of an intercooler
This BPV

While you're buying all this pick up some couplers and alum intake tubing. Find an exhaust shop that will fab up the flange to mount the turbo to the stock manifold and the down pipe. Rig up the intake tubing. Find a dyno shop with Superchips or Diablo software and get it tuned up. Keep it under 180 at the wheels and you'll probaly be able to drive it until you kill the clutch or 3rd gear synchro.

You can upgrade over time with bigger exhaust, custom exhaust manifold, intercooler, stronger shortblock, tricked out head/valvetrain, and then a bigger turbo.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/25/05 05:13 PM
Originally posted by WildChild:
Turbo?

N/A than turbo is my plan, rather than stock to turbo. I figured I'd get as much hp out of the engine as posible first, than ad the turbo It will keep me from have to make the other upgrades later down the line.

Besides I'm in no hurry to get done with the car.

To get as much power as you can N/A = high compression

High compression + turbo (boost) = bad times

You would only be able to run small amount of boost. If you are going to go turbo build the engine for turbo. This will save you a lot of time and money in the end.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/25/05 07:54 PM
OK. All of my plans for this car have just flown out the window. I have good news! My Uncles are giving me an old Ford Maverick and my Uncle Buzzes old Mach 1's transmission. Sweetness! Uncle John said all I have to do is pick it up!

Now a question on that! Should I go 302 or something else? I would have liked that old 351C my uncle Buzz had, but it turns out that John sold it, and it's 4-barrel heads(Uber-rare) to a kid rebuilding a Mach 1 down his street. I'm leaning more towards 302 than modular. The Modular's fine and all, but the 302 would give me a better aftermarket.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Oh yes, there will be hood scoops...
Posted By: evocontour Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/27/05 06:53 AM
I would just like to point out automatic transmissions durability versus a standard. How many sub 10 second cars run a stick? It's a 90/10 situation. That's because autos shift quicker , last longer and don't miss gates when they go gear to gear when prepped properly. They take human error out of the loop for the most part. As for superchargers being worthless down low? Umm, Apparantly you never looked at a dyno - Turbos make NOTHING until they spool. ZERO. Where is all of this torque your talking about? A supercharger makes power from idle to redline. Most turbos don't spool until 2500 rpm(I WOULDN'T CALL THAT DOWN LOW). The power increases are similar. It's just that with a turbo it just comes in in one big lump when the turbo spools instead of continuously and seamlessly like a supercharger. So you get a big pull all at once with a turbo, with a charger the power comes on more subtley and is already making the same amount of power the turbo will be at the same rpm. Much more linear. Linear power is good.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/27/05 08:09 AM
Originally posted by evocontour:
I would just like to point out automatic transmissions durability versus a standard. How many sub 10 second cars run a stick? It's a 90/10 situation. That's because autos shift quicker , last longer and don't miss gates when they go gear to gear when prepped properly. They take human error out of the loop for the most part. As for superchargers being worthless down low? Umm, Apparantly you never looked at a dyno - Turbos make NOTHING until they spool. ZERO. Where is all of this torque your talking about? A supercharger makes power from idle to redline. Most turbos don't spool until 2500 rpm(I WOULDN'T CALL THAT DOWN LOW). The power increases are similar. It's just that with a turbo it just comes in in one big lump when the turbo spools instead of continuously and seamlessly like a supercharger. So you get a big pull all at once with a turbo, with a charger the power comes on more subtley and is already making the same amount of power the turbo will be at the same rpm. Much more linear. Linear power is good.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this big pile of ignorance, but I'll try.

1) I wasn't saying that ALL auto trannys were not able to handle big power, My brother runs an AOD in is 1000+ hp "thumper" turbocharged Cobra. The ATX in the Contour is a pretty poorly engineered piece of poo that is poorly cooled, and has weak clutch packs.

2) the SC thing I'm pretty much not going to touch other than to say that every dyno that's ever been posted of a Turbo'd zetec and a Supercharged zetec says I'm right.

The End.
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/28/05 02:47 AM
Well put

I do think though that the MTX responds better to a turbo. Although, I have never been in a turbocharged ATX anything so I couldn't make a good comparison on that. Take that back, I have drove a few 3speed ATX turbo go karts

I will be doing a Turbo setup for my car, and hope to get it done by Spring Zing depending on funds.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/28/05 04:49 AM
Well put

I do think though that the MTX responds better to a turbo. Although, I have never been in a turbocharged ATX anything so I couldn't make a good comparison on that. Take that back, I have drove a few 3speed ATX turbo go karts

I will be doing a Turbo setup for my car, and hope to get it done by Spring Zing depending on funds.

well not a direct comparison but...

when i did a 3L swap with the atx it was fun. when i swapped it to mtx its soooo much better, alot more powerful too. the atx sucks up alot of the power
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/30/05 04:27 AM
Looks like my car will be out on friday, can't wait. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of gains i will get with the focus head and cams.

The mechanic sugested that I wait on installing the fuel upgrades(rail/injectors/press reg) until I get a peformance pump to replace the stock pump. Does anyone have recomendations for a pump?

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/30/05 04:34 AM
255lph walbro
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/30/05 04:39 AM
Originally posted by evocontour:
Most turbos don't spool until 2500 rpm(I WOULDN'T CALL THAT DOWN LOW). The power increases are similar.

True most turbos don't spool till 2500rpm or higher BUT, when you're trying to go fast, are you under 2500rpm? So it doesn't really matter then that there isn't much very low end power (no traction is bad anyways). If anything, could just mean better gas mileage.

The typical power increases are not similar at all for zetecs.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Upgrading my engine - 11/30/05 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
255lph walbro

thats overkill. ill be running that pump when im done with my turbo 3L

stock pump should be sufficient for his mods (it was for my 3L hybrid) but IIRC theres a smaller walbro that would be a better upgrade for him
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/01/05 01:59 AM
255lph walbro

Is it the external in line or the in tank pump that I need?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/01/05 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
255lph walbro

thats overkill. ill be running that pump when im done with my turbo 3L

stock pump should be sufficient for his mods (it was for my 3L hybrid) but IIRC theres a smaller walbro that would be a better upgrade for him

I didn't even look at his mods.

I think with a 200 shot of nitrous (progressive stages of course), he'll need it. That's what I'd do.

Yeah, there's a smaller one.

And they're in tank.
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/01/05 04:33 AM
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/

This site has a few different options for pumps including Vortech, Walbro, Comptech, Aeromotive, etc. What do you think?
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/15/05 05:15 AM
Thought I would put in an update, car should be out of the shop by this weekend, but still needs a few things done like 65mm throttle install, fuel pump change, chip install.

head with exhaust manifold

Heres a closer look at one of the cams

Drivers side, not much there but its so clean right now

The adjustable cam gears weren't in stock when I tried to purchase them before the car went into the shop, so I'll have them installed later

Intake side; the Focus intake manifold will have to be used along with a Focus fuel rail. I used a BDL rail with 30# injectors. The rail will require a adjustable regulator 2bolt style, for the fuel return system to work, and longer fuel lines will have to be used since the regulator sits on the pasenger side and not the drivers side fo the fuel rail.

I think this is the EGR valve
(I could be wrong), or whatever it is called will have to be modified. On the Focus intake its horizontal and on the Tour intake its vertical, so I'm having them cut swaped out and rewelded on. Hopefully it comes out good, I'll get picks of it once its finished. You can see the rail and injectors in there also.

Focus valve on right, Contour valve on left

Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/15/05 05:25 AM
all that work...and the stock exhaust manifold?
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/15/05 05:38 AM
I'm planning on doing a turbo setup, so I'm waiting to change out my exhaust manifold for the turbo install. There was no reason for me to spend the extra money on a focus exh manifold, when I have to have a turbo manifold custom made to fit.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/15/05 01:24 PM
I'm planning on doing a turbo setup, so I'm waiting to change out my exhaust manifold for the turbo install. There was no reason for me to spend the extra money on a focus exh manifold, when I have to have a turbo manifold custom made to fit.

makes sense...but your not planning on doing that for a couple of years? why not buy a cougar header?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/15/05 08:43 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:

makes sense...but your not planning on doing that for a couple of years? why not buy a cougar header?

If you're waitin' a couple years for the turbo, a header can be resold later - prolly for near what you pay for it.

I just paid $278 delivered for one.
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/16/05 12:41 AM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by tour96se:

If you're waitin' a couple years for the turbo, a header can be resold later - prolly for near what you pay for it.

I just paid $278 delivered for one.

When did I say I was waiting a couple of years? I'm trying to finsh this project by Spring Zing 06, so I can drive up and STUNT on the other pre-98's up there, and show them how we do it in the West(SOCAL that is).
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/16/05 02:18 AM
A header would make no sense if he was going turbo. The build quality would definitely come into play as far as longevity. I would stick would the stock manifold too.
Posted By: WildChild Re: Upgrading my engine - 12/16/05 08:45 AM
A header would make no sense if he was going turbo. The build quality would definitely come into play as far as longevity. I would stick would the stock manifold too.

Thank you, someone out there agrees with. Besides the turbo header will have a better flow rate due to the purpose of its design versus any other.
© CEG Archives