Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/10/05 05:39 AM
I just got my OBD-2 scanner back. It's been broken for way too long. Anywho...

I've read that if you multiply your lb/min value by 10, that you get a pretty accurate horsepower reading.

146.5HP@6k at the crank! Woohoo!

Finally no more relying on the butt dyno. Actual numbers.

Check it out...

BTW, this was on an on-ramp going up hill.

What are you guys getting?

BP
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/10/05 12:07 PM
can't comment on my zetec but watching my scanner on my duratec I only get about 14 #/min from my maf and i know the car puts down 155 hp at the wheel so I am not sure I believe that figure

but who knows
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/10/05 02:55 PM
What scanner is this?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/10/05 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
What scanner is this?

looks like the Alex Peper OBDII scanner for a labtop
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/10/05 03:33 PM
Originally posted by brapple:
Originally posted by Tony2005:
What scanner is this?

looks like the Alex Peper OBDII scanner for a labtop

Thanks.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/10/05 04:24 PM
Well if you (for example) advance timing that wouldn't really change the air coming in, but would add power, so I don't see how that can be very accurate.
It just a ball park figure. Better than a butt dyno or g-tech.

I was kind of hoping to see if others had MAF values vs. a dyno run.

BP
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/10/05 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
It just a ball park figure. Better than a butt dyno or g-tech.

I was kind of hoping to see if others had MAF values vs. a dyno run.

BP

actually now that I check, i have the program and I got the data someone else took from my car when it was on the dyno, the maf air flow rate did hit 18.x and take my standard corrected number of 155 and add 18% to go from the wheel to the crank, for a 5 spd, you get about 182 so it kinda works out

Rock and roll! That lines up REALLY well. BTW, you're running more timing than me. Do you have a chip? Or is that how much the stock duratec runs?

>>EDIT<<

Actually it looks like you hit 19.468 at 10:39:20.4. If you back up a couple seconds, what does your data look like?

Theoretically, that's 194.68 crank HP! With 18% loss, that's 159.7 wheel HP. Nice!

>>EDIT<<

BP
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/11/05 04:06 AM
I'll hook mine up sometime next week and see what she says.
Sweet! The more the merrier.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/11/05 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Rock and roll! That lines up REALLY well. BTW, you're running more timing than me. Do you have a chip? Or is that how much the stock duratec runs?

>>EDIT<<

Actually it looks like you hit 19.468 at 10:39:20.4. If you back up a couple seconds, what does your data look like?

Theoretically, that's 194.68 crank HP! With 18% loss, that's 159.7 wheel HP. Nice!

>>EDIT<<

BP

if you want to look go to my cardomain page and on the last one I have my dyno plots, the 155 is from a standard correction from the dyno jet numbers

when I get home I will look at the file again, I think I have some maf data from my Palm based OBDII scanner, but with that I can do a dyno run driving down the road as well as acceleration times

how do you slow the speed down? I really haven't used the program and had some trouble finding one of the peaks

edit: on the timing I do not have a chip, I note that the duratec seems to run between 25 and 35 degrees advance normally. of course the closer you get to 212F in the engine coolant the more the advance drops to zero and I think it is suppose to be zero at that point
On the playback window, there is a set of numbers on the left and on the right. The numbers on the left control which frame that you're looking at. The numbers on the right control the speed (in frames per second). As you get close to the time that you want, lower the frames per second to something like 5 or 10. You can then watch it slowly cycle through the data.

I've also noticed that the OBD-2 scanner is set a bit slow. If you crank up the "Sample (Hz)" setting in the lower right hand corner of the window, it will refresh the data faster. This also gives you more accurate results. This reduces the lag between one reading and the next.

If you compare your data and mine, it takes yours over 2 seconds to cycle (from 15.7 to 17.8), whereas mine takes less than a second (from 40.6 to 41.5). Alot can happen in two seconds.

HTH,
BP
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: OBD-2 scanner? Find out your HP!! - 10/11/05 05:47 PM
there are also three dyno pulls in my data

again I will look at it again when I get home if i have time tonight and I will look at data from my scanner also
© CEG Archives