Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 1ofakindtour Cams on Zex.com - 10/06/05 07:43 PM
Went onto Zex.com to look for a set up and come to find out that they have cams for the Zetec, pre-98's at least. So i think i've found my set up, 75-shot and severe-street cams, next is to find a nice header to go with it! What do you guys think.....
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/06/05 10:37 PM
The Zex cams are rebadged Comp cams and are designed for use with mechanical lifters (post 98 Contours, Foci, and Cougars).
You could use them in the pre 98s but there are much better options available.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/06/05 10:43 PM
tranny
Posted By: 1ofakindtour Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/06/05 10:56 PM
see they told me they were for hydrolic lifters, who else makes an effordable cam then?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/07/05 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
tranny

Dont call people names.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/07/05 03:28 PM
Originally posted by 1ofakindtour:
see they told me they were for hydrolic lifters, who else makes an effordable cam then?

They told me they were for mechanical lifters (designed for the Focus).
If they are for hydraulic, then they could be a very good option for n20 users (like me).
Investigation time.
Posted By: evocontour Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/08/05 03:40 AM
I would believe a manufacturer before I would belive an opinion. I mean after all, they made the product and should know what it fits and what it doesn't.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/10/05 04:01 PM
Originally posted by evocontour:
I would believe a manufacturer before I would belive an opinion. I mean after all, they made the product and should know what it fits and what it doesn't.

Did you even read what I posted?

Originally posted by eSleeperZ:

They told me they were for mechanical lifters (designed for the Focus).

Posted By: 1ofakindtour Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/11/05 11:04 PM
so today i called comp cams and david said they would work on any zetec. so that's just great now i'm confussed because how can it work on mechanical and/or hydrolic? who did you talk to sleeper?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/12/05 03:40 PM
Cams should (theoreticaly) work regardless of lifter type.
But thats not always the case.
Thats why manufacturers specify what lifter their cam works best with.
The Zex representative I spoke to (over a year ago) said they were designed for the Focus and Cougar with mechanical lifters.
The Zex cams are meant to use the stock valve train components and do not require lash adjustments.
So due to the self adjusting nature of hydraulic lifters they will not work properly.

My advice; stick with what the manufacturer specifies.
Posted By: evocontour Re: Cams on Zex.com - 10/12/05 11:58 PM
Sleeper, Nitrous use specfic lifters? Meant to be used with stock valvetrain components because they don't require lash adjustments? The difference between a mechanical lifter and a hydraulic is the fact that you don't have to set the lash on the hydraulic ones. ALL MECHANICAL LIFTERS REQUIRE THE LASH TO BE SET. EVEN ON OUR CARS. In fact a mechanical lifter is more accurate than a hydraulic one due to the fact that it is just an extension from the cam to the pushrod or valvetip. Hydraulics are not the best to use on a high revving engine either. That is why most vehicles that run over 6-7k rpm use mechanical lifters or lash adjusters. (roller or flat tappet style)If you are running HEAVY doses of spray on your motor, look into getting a nitrous specfic camshaft. Helps your engine survive alot longer with a heavy hitting system. There is also a small amount of power to be had with a complimenting set of nitrous cams.
© CEG Archives