Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SleeperZ SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/24/05 11:06 PM
SleeperZ Intake How-To;

Parts Needed;
2.75" to 2.75" 90 degree silicone elbow
2.75" to 3.00" 45 degree silicone elbow
atleast 16" of 2.75" stainless steel or aluminum pipe
Quantity 4 - 3.25" (or larger) pipe clamps (can be worm drive or t-bolt)
Duct Tape

Part Sources;
For silicone couplers - AJ-USA.com
For pipe & silicone couplers - atpTurbo.com
For pipe - your local exhaust shop
For duct tape - you should already have some

Procedure;
1) Pull off all the stock intake parts, set them aside
2) Remove the 4 big bolts sticking up from the TB
3) Drill a 2.75" round hole in the airbox where the stock trianglular shaped accordian tubing connects to it
4) Drill a 2.75" round hole in the fender where the stock trianglular shaped accordian tubing connects to it
5) Install 90 degree elbow on the TB
6) Install MAF on airbox
7) Install 45 degree elbow on the MAF
8) Install assembled airbox (with MAF and silicone elbow) into stock location on car
9) Measure distance from 90 degree elbow to 45 degree elbow, add 1"
10) Measure distance from hole in airbox to hole in fender, add 1"
11) Cut (or have cut) 2 pieces of pipe in the required lengths
12) If you have a pre 98 Contour, you'll need to drill a hole in the longer segment of pipe for the IAT
13) Install the pipe clamps on the silicone couplers (2 on each coupler), do not tighten
14) Install length of pipe between airbox and fender, to hold it in place use duct tape, 1/2" of pipe should stick into airbox
15) Install length of pipe between TB and MAF, it may take some force, but it will fit
16) Tighten hose clamps
17) If you have a Pre98, screw IAT into the hole you drilled

You now have a combination short ram & cold air intake that has most of the benefits of each.

Finished product should look similiar to this;

Options To This Intake Include;
1) Install a K&N (or other high flow) panel air filter
2) Install a velocity stack onto the airbox side of the air draw tube (so it will be inside the airbox)
3) Install a velocity stack on the fender side of the air draw tube (so it will be in the fenderwell)
4) Optimize the stock airbox by removing as many of the airflow obstructions as possible
5) Relocate the IAT to the intake manifold
6) Keep the stock plenum over the TB (the Contour needs one) and use 3" pipe and 3" silicone couplers
7) Coat the pipe in a heat resistane substance (either paint, heat wrap, ceramic, etc)

Definition Of Terms;
TB = Throttle Body
MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor
IAT = Air Inlet Temperture sensor
Velocity Stack = a funnel for air
Plenum = large flat toppped plastic air reseve chamber that sits over the TB
T-Bolt clamp = click for pic
Worm Drive clamp = click for pic
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/25/05 01:29 AM
(I'm sure most young (newbie) owners who head this direction want a price sleeps....

Either way, they should head that direction, I can't vouch for CTA looking at my high air/fuel ratios....
Posted By: Strictlyfocused7 Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/25/05 01:37 AM
how do you relocate the iat
Posted By: evocontour Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/25/05 01:04 PM
Relocate it so it can get air running over it. The car uses the IAT to determine correct A/F ratios and timing advance when in open loop mode. Drill a hole and thread it for the sensor or insert a grommet into the hole that will allow the sensor to fit snugly in the airbox or tubing and insert it. If you install it after the MAF please make sure your hole is airtight.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/25/05 09:35 PM
As For Price;
It depends on where you get the parts,
how many of the options you do,
and if you screw something up.

For the intake I have pictured,
price was $81.98 for all parts shipped to my door,
and the only thing I didnt do was add the velocity stacks.

As For Perfomance (compared to other intakes);
(Rank) Type Of Intake - Characteristics
------------------------------------------------
(4) Short Ram (CTA intake) - high temp, low pressure, high cfm
(3) Short Ram w/ Heat Shield - mid temp, low pressure, mid cfm
(2) SleeperZ Intake - mid temp, mid pressure, high cfm
(1) CAI (CTA w/ GMK extension) - low temp, high pressure, mid cfm
Posted By: Disco_Mike Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/27/05 10:09 PM
Doh! should really have seen that first!
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/28/05 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Disco_Mike:

Either way I thank the Mod who stickied this.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/28/05 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
Originally posted by Disco_Mike:

I am the only mod here.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/29/05 01:48 AM
Originally posted by LocoSCZ:

Quote:

I am the only mod here.

and for that I'm lovin' it
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/30/05 08:57 PM
What is the GMK extension?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/30/05 09:38 PM
GMK stands for Grand Master Khan (I think thats right).
Its an extension piece (long radius 90 degree bend) that attaches to the CTA (or any short ram) intake that relocaes the filter into the fender.
Requires drilling a hole for the pipe and relocating the fuse box.
The CTA extension for the ZX2 is the same thing.
Posted By: TjZ Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/31/05 02:03 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
GMK stands for Grand Master Khan (I think thats right).
Its an extension piece (long radius 90 degree bend) that attaches to the CTA (or any short ram) intake that relocaes the filter into the fender.
Requires drilling a hole for the pipe and relocating the fuse box.
The CTA extension for the ZX2 is the same thing.

That is correct GMK is for Grand Master Khan. He owns a Cougar a nicely modded one. I had the GMK extension on my car before I sold in hopes of getting an SVT *hopes the deal works*. Anyways I will get GMK to send me some pics of mine and I will post it up for ya.
Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 06/29/06 04:28 AM
Just a question...where on aj-usa.com do you guys see the silicone couplers? I tired going to the injen page but there is no sign of the couplers there. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 06/29/06 05:41 PM
Looks like they changed the site. I have a new set in red if you need them.
Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 06/30/06 12:32 AM
One more question, in what location do you drill the holes? Does anyone have pictures of where they drilled? I pretty much get how everything else is done but before I buy the parts I just wanted to know where the drilled areas are. Thanks
Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/02/06 01:45 AM
Does anyone know? It may be a stupid question I just want to make sure before I go ahead with it.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/02/06 06:05 AM
i put mine inside the 45 degree elbow, i just drilled the whole and i sealed up the sensor with some silicone. i tried drilling though the SS pipe, but i wasnt getting anywhere and i think that with the elbow, its a tighter fit.

sorry no pictures
Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/02/06 06:35 AM
ok i think i finally get it.

So you drilled into there and through the sensor then moved the sensor into the 45 degree elbow?

And can you point me out where to drill into the fender. Is it the spot that is already connected to the airbox?

Thanks!
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/02/06 01:36 PM
whoa whoa whoa....... your pointing to the mass air flow sensor in your picture. nothing is drilled into THAT, you dont have to do anything to the MAF, just connect the pipe to it. and unless your doing some kind of special setup, there is no need to drill a whole in the fender. you use the stock airbox and all of the components of that (in the fender at least)

Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/03/06 03:11 AM
If its not the MAf sensor you put in the elbow then what sensor is it? If it's the IAT sensor, where is that?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/03/06 03:19 AM
Don't some of the newer zetecs have the IAT and the MAF built together? You may not need to make a hole for the IAT sensor.
Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/03/06 03:50 AM
I did a quick search and it says that the IAT may be built into the MAF. If you have 6 wires going into the MAF then the IAt is built in but if it has 4 wires going to it then it is seperate. I'm going to check that in the morning, cause I don't think there is a wire connected to the accordian tubing, thats was what was confusing me.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/03/06 05:36 AM
well my IAT sensor was a seperate unit. i drilled a whole in the bottom of the 45 degree elbo and sealed up the sensor.
Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/03/06 04:34 PM
I went out and looked and it is seperate from the MAF. I finally understand everything now. Thanks everyone for all your help! This place is the best. Now to go and buy all the parts to put it together...
Posted By: SniperUML Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/14/06 08:26 AM
Whats the difference in performance ratings between this and a cold air intake? Or is it the same? Yes i am a noobie at this.

Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/15/06 02:09 AM
Well I hooked everything up started the car and what surprise do I get....a check engine light! What could possibly went wrong I mean I didn't touch anything that wasn't supposed to be touched. Could it be that the IAT sensor got messed up with me taking it out and putting it in?

Well I then put the stock intake back on and the CEL is still on, so I'm clueless of to what happened. I followed the How-to step by step.

Is there any place that checks the codes for cheap?
Posted By: striker2 Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/15/06 02:21 AM
autozone and advanced both check them for free. get it scanned and post the code(s). my guess is that you left something unplugged.
Posted By: SniperUML Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/15/06 02:57 AM
Whats the purpose of the velocity stacks? Which ones did you use?

Posted By: SniperUML Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/15/06 05:14 PM
I have a seperate IAT on a 99 contour, anyone heard of it?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/16/06 01:18 AM
The velocity stacks help to funnel air more effeciently. They are not really a necessity on the intake, so you can skip them.
Posted By: SniperUML Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/16/06 05:13 PM
Do you still recommend that I pull the fuses out of the box to reset the computer?
Posted By: s9contour9e Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/17/06 01:48 PM
I have all the pieces if anyone wants to install this on their car. It was only installed on my car once and it was not driven around in that period. PM me and we can work out a price.
Posted By: phinfan Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 07/19/06 11:24 PM
Originally posted by s9contour9e:
Well I hooked everything up started the car and what surprise do I get....a check engine light! What could possibly went wrong I mean I didn't touch anything that wasn't supposed to be touched. Could it be that the IAT sensor got messed up with me taking it out and putting it in?

Well I then put the stock intake back on and the CEL is still on, so I'm clueless of to what happened. I followed the How-to step by step.

dumb question but shouldnt you reset the computer after a mod like this? airflow has changed. the computer is still looking for the stock readings. right?
Posted By: Spyderman Re: SleeperZ Intake How-To - 08/01/06 12:30 AM
Originally posted by phinfan:
Originally posted by s9contour9e:

dumb question but shouldnt you reset the computer after a mod like this? airflow has changed. the computer is still looking for the stock readings. right?

Especially on a MAFs car it wouldn't hurt
© CEG Archives