Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: weegee Help with supercharging - 08/21/05 11:05 PM
Hi

I have a 1999 Mondeo Mk2 (with a 2 litre zetec blacktop engine), which i am going to supercharge, at present i have.

The Supercharger Unit, which is an Eaton M45 (Generation 5)

NOS - Nitrous Oxide setup

It seem that most people on this side of the pond are fascinated with turbo, hence there isnt a lot of info regarding the subject of supercharging a zetec.

I would like to know what the main points concerning supercharging the zetec are? Im not worried about things like brackets, pulleys, belts ect. Im more interested in finding out if i need to adjust the fuelling ect - or to make a long story short > what else do i need to do apart from bolt the supercharger on? I have my ideas - but some help from people who may have done it would be appreciated.

I also intend to run Nitrous with my s/c - any suggestions or warning as to where to mount or things to look out for?

Thanks in advance

WeeGee
Posted By: DESIGN Re: Help with supercharging - 08/22/05 01:22 AM
I'm sure that he will post here shortly but search for member LocoSCZ

He has a supercharger and would be the best source for the info on CEG. He has been running one for quite some time.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/22/05 04:53 AM
Originally posted by weegee:

It seem that most people on this side of the pond are fascinated with turbo, hence there isnt a lot of info regarding the subject of supercharging a zetec.

I don't think it's a fascination, I just think people are too scared that it wouldnt fit. Hector took the chance and it paid off for him.

I'd definately look him up or check out www.focaljet.com and see what some of the focus guys did to install thiers...
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/22/05 06:25 PM
From Hecor's original thread, installing a M45 is pretty darn easy.

I wonder how close Percy is to you. Here's his JRSC install thread.

I want to see someone put on a Focus SVT M62 supercharger on a Contour.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/22/05 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
From Hecor's original thread, installing a M45 is pretty darn easy.

I wonder how close Percy is to you. Here's his JRSC install thread.

I want to see someone put on a Focus SVT M62 supercharger on a Contour.

BP

Working on it.
Posted By: weegee Re: Help with supercharging - 08/22/05 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Bk4293:
I don't think it's a fascination, I just think people are too scared that it wouldnt fit. Hector took the chance and it paid off for him.

Im a CAN-DO kinda guy - i just dont like the rush of a turbo - i get to play with some nice cars on a daily basis (I own a garage), so we have have Nissan 300ZX twin turbos, supras, skylines, ect all with turbo's and to be honest - although all the turbo'd car put out massive amounts of power - it just didnt feel right - now the supercharged jaguar - that was a whole different story - it was silky smooth all the way from idle - and what a lovely sound

Anyway back on topic - i have read percys post, but unfortuantly it didnt help much, as there is no way that I can afford to buy a Jackson Racing kit for my car, so im building from scratch. I have the blower - and im in the process of machining a new inlet manifold, ect. But what im really looking for here are some details about what needs done apart from actually making the charger fit on the car. Will i need differet plugs, ecu change, better grade of fuel ect.

I intend to have a fully working supercharged & nitroused up zetec for under �£300 - so im doing it old skool - i'll do the work myself to save paying labor, and if there are parts needed, then i'll make them (bits like brackets, pulleys ect). I am also quite handy at electronics so i can handle some engine mods, like the Nitrous controller, which i'll make myself.

What is the black box that is reffered to in percys thread - i assume this is some kind of piggy back fuel controller that is supplied by JR? Any idea what it does, and why its needed?

Here are some of the bits i have so far:

http://stu.crediblehost.com/graphiccar/viewtopic.php?t=732

So if anyone knows the nitty gritty of making this work without any bells and whistles, then please let me know before i make a complete ass of myself - lol

Regards

G
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/23/05 02:45 AM
So if anyone knows the nitty gritty of making this work without any bells and whistles, then please let me know before i make a complete ass of myself - lol

Regards

G

Hector, tell him what you got!!!

To get yourself up and running I would say... 30lb injectors, Focus SVT MAF or Mustang GT MAF, and some way of tuning it. Either SCT or Diablo chip. If you don't program your ECU for all of that extra power and fuel, you will blow up your Zetec.

HTH,
BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/23/05 10:41 PM

Regards

G

Hector, tell him what you got!!!

To get yourself up and running I would say... 30lb injectors, Focus SVT MAF or Mustang GT MAF, and some way of tuning it. Either SCT or Diablo chip. If you don't program your ECU for all of that extra power and fuel, you will blow up your Zetec.

HTH,
BP

I bought the kit......all that needed to be modified was the bracket that holds the blower and intake manifold, a Focus IAC valve, and the cruise control needs to be removed (Tb bracket was modifed). For the higher boost I am running 42# injectors, Mustang GT MAF, and a custom burned Diablochip calibrated for both.

As far as building a kit yourself that may cause some problems. The supercharger will need to be very straight and lined up perfectly with the serpentine belt. If not that may cause a lot of problems. You may run into problems making the intake manifold. Kits like the Jackson Racing I'm sure flow test the intake manifold before selling them in a kit. You will need to figure that out. What car did you get the M45 out of?

Here is a pic of mine:
Posted By: weegee Re: Help with supercharging - 08/24/05 12:00 AM
Thats a tidy car you have there m8

Thanks for the info - its looking like it could be quite an easy conversion after all. The charger is off a BMW Mini Cooper S - but is totally unmolested - and in the same condition that youd buy one from eaton in.

A couple of my mates are precision engineers, so im sure that they will help me get it all lined up. Im glad you mentioned the MAF/CHIP/INJECTORS, as tbh i see these as being my only major concern. I have noted your points on the intake manifold design - but im hoping to take advantage of the fact that its forced induction - hence it wont need to be perfect to work, although i may modify the design to improve gas flow once i can get some computer simulations running.

hmmm fluid dynamics

What boost are you running at? Have you changed your pulley size, or did you just use the one suppluied in the kit?

And on a seperate note: What do you reacon the chances are of connecting the electro-magnetic clutch off an air-con unit to the supercharger - allonging me to turn the supercharger on/off at will (for those moments when you dont want to let the idiot in the lane next to you know that your boosted) - a possibility? And is there any technical reason why a dump valve woulnt work on a s/c car.

Cheers

G
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/24/05 02:07 AM

What boost are you running at? Have you changed your pulley size, or did you just use the one suppluied in the kit?

And on a seperate note: What do you reacon the chances are of connecting the electro-magnetic clutch off an air-con unit to the supercharger - allonging me to turn the supercharger on/off at will (for those moments when you dont want to let the idiot in the lane next to you know that your boosted) - a possibility? And is there any technical reason why a dump valve woulnt work on a s/c car.

Cheers

G

Thanks!

Stock is 3.0" pulley = 3-4 psi
My 2.6" pulley = 7-8 psi
2.3" pulley (sitting in my back seat) 10-11 psi

Why? Under no load/low load there really isn't any boost. The dump valve really isn't necessary due to the fact most superchargers have a bypass valve bolted on them already....in between the supercharger and intake manfold.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/24/05 02:07 AM
Like Hector said, the JRSC for the Focus does have a bypass valve in beteween the intake and the supercharger's output.

If you are designing one yourself, see if you can do something like the Powerworks Focus kit and integrate a intercooler into the intake manifold. Like this...

The JRSC is mounted upside down so that it blows up into a liquid to air intercooler. Very nice design. You can also see the bypass valve in that picture.

Heat is a big problem with the M45. It is soo small that when you start increasing the boost it REALLY heats up the air.

BTW, Hector that pics rocks.

HTH,
BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/24/05 02:15 AM

Heat is a big problem with the M45. It is soo small that when you start increasing the boost it REALLY heats up the air.

BTW, Hector that pics rocks.

HTH,
BP

Thanks.

If he intergrates an intercooler...having the heat from the boost of the M45 won't matter. Also remember he plans on running spray. N20 will cool down the intake charge also.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/24/05 03:00 AM
Originally posted by LocoSCZ:
Also remember he plans on running spray. N20 will cool down the intake charge also.

Ooops, I missed that one.

A blown, intercooled, sprayed 'tour?!? Suh-friggin-weet.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/24/05 06:01 AM
I was just looking through eBay and it seems that a Mercedes M62 supercharger has an electric clutch. Can you swap the nose drive between a M45 and a M62?

Check it out.

Just a thought. For the true "Mad Max" style supercharger. Flip a switch and hang on.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 01:52 AM
I was just looking through eBay and it seems that a Mercedes M62 supercharger has an electric clutch. Can you swap the nose drive between a M45 and a M62?

Check it out.

Just a thought. For the true "Mad Max" style supercharger. Flip a switch and hang on.

BP

Why would you turn it off?
Posted By: TjZ Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 01:56 AM

Check it out.

BP

Because I heard it gets really loud..
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 06:42 AM
Talk about the ultimate sleeper!!! Throw a big M62 on there that's sprayed and intercooled. Pull up to a light with the SC "off", floor it and make someone think you are NA. At the next light, hit the GO switch and give them one helluva surprize.

To be really evil you could pit in a 3k rpm activated switch. The guy would think he's got you until a second after flooring it. The boost and NOS kick in and BAM...taillights baby!!!

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 11:58 AM
Talk about the ultimate sleeper!!! Throw a big M62 on there that's sprayed and intercooled. Pull up to a light with the SC "off", floor it and make someone think you are NA. At the next light, hit the GO switch and give them one helluva surprize.

To be really evil you could pit in a 3k rpm activated switch. The guy would think he's got you until a second after flooring it. The boost and NOS kick in and BAM...taillights baby!!!

BP

Why not the first light? For me the joy of having a supercharger is having it all the time. If you want power sometimes you might as well just have nitrous and save yourself the hassle of the supercharger install.
Posted By: zetec, md/do Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 06:51 PM
what other type of supercharger can fit on our cars?
Posted By: weegee Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 07:00 PM

BP

I like the way you think

But the reason i want to be able to turn the s/c off is

1) as mentioned above - i want to be able to turn it off to keep it quiet - and i dont open my bonnet at shows - so the only people who know what it has will be me - you guys and the guys on MEG

2) it dosnt come with a clutch as standard - so i want to know if i see if i can fit one (i like the challenge)

3) I just love the idea of pressing a button, and it winds up, giving off that sound which only a s/c car can make. So if im sat at the lights, and the guy next to me REVS hard (in that - i want a dabble with you kind of way), i can just push the button, and watch his face as the charger springs into life, and starts to purr. (still got the nitrous in reserve in case that dosnt worry them)

Anyway - i had the inlet gasket delivered today, so i can start measuring up for the new manifold. I have been looking into the air/water cooler, and it sounds good - and to be honest - i think now would be be the time to add the cooler, rather than try and add one later.

I'll post up some piccies one i get the first bits designed.

One question though - where would you use the nitrous on one of these, pre or post supercharger? and why?

Thanks for all your responses

G
Posted By: weegee Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 07:03 PM
Originally posted by zeteckit19's:
what other type of supercharger can fit on our cars?

Almost any charger will fit on any car, at the end of the day, the only constaits are space.

If you put in some time and effort - and a little creative thinking, anything is possible
Posted By: GS474 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 08:35 PM
better show us some video when you get this done
Posted By: zetec, md/do Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 10:17 PM

Cheers

G

Thanks!

My 2.6" pulley = 7-8 psi

Why? Under no load/low load there really isn't any boost. The dump valve really isn't necessary due to the fact most superchargers have a bypass valve bolted on them already....in between the supercharger and intake manfold.

In terms of boost, how much is 3-4 psi?? In terms of gains...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/25/05 10:38 PM

Cheers

G

Thanks!

My 2.6" pulley = 7-8 psi

In reality I don't know. Never dynoed. At 7 psi I gained 40 hp at the wheels.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 02:33 AM

In a perfect word, you would have 27% more power. Your crank HP would go from 130 to 165. If you have a crappy intercooler, or don't have it tuned properly, that value drops.

((Boost+14.7)/14.7)-1=%HP Gain

4psi=27% Gain
7psi=48% Gain
10psi=68% Gain
14psi=95% Gain

Just think about it. Atmospheric pressure is 14.7psi. If you double the pressure, you double the power.

HTH,
BP
Posted By: zetec, md/do Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 02:52 AM
That makes perfect sense... thank you my friend

-Billy
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 03:14 AM
Ahhh, actual math, you are evil....
Only hypotheticals and ricer guesstimates are allowed here....
You must be banished!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 04:22 AM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
You must be banished!

Yeah and here I am posting real world results!
Posted By: zetec, md/do Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 01:53 PM
You must be banished!

Hector ... before the supercharger, what was your best mod that you felt best gains or difference in performance??
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 02:50 PM
You must be banished!

What has come of our Zetec world,
its like we are becomeing SVT owners,
tlaking about real mods.
Posted By: zetec, md/do Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 04:13 PM
hahaha Sleeper what nitrous setup do you have and do you like it?
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 04:57 PM

[url=Check it out.[/url]

BP

Exactly. Not to mention that with a supercharger like Hectors, or the one posted, the engine will not be able to pull air through the vanes and run at all. The vanes seal completely inside the supercharger, allowing it to make the kind of boost that its capable of. No leaks. If you look closely in the link BP posted, you can see vanes mesh 100%. If its not turning, there is NO airflow.

You might be able to build some kind of bypass for the engine to pull in air when the blower is not turning, but I really dont think its worth the effort.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 05:03 PM
hahaha Sleeper what nitrous setup do you have and do you like it?

Zex universall kit #82011 and I like it alot.
The big seller was the bottle pressure monitor and the fact t uses the TPS voltage to trigger the nitrous injection.
Of course the brand isnt as important as how you run it.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 07:45 PM
Not necessarily (I can't spell). The more boost you push doesn't not equate (typically) to HP increase. With More boost = more s/c rpms = more heat. Unless you have a way to maintain the air intake temps at a reasonable level the boost will eventually loose it's effectiveness and other this may happen.

for example...in the Lightning world, comparing a 4# lower pulley and a 6# lower pulley, you gain more torque, but the HP gain just isn't there. Why? Because of the heat created from spinning the blower so friggin fast in the upper RPMs......

Bottom line is, you can't just go shoving an ungodly amount of boost down X engine and expect Xsquared results. It's a system and the right pieces need to be in place...

If you double the pressure, you double the power.

HTH,
BP

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/26/05 09:48 PM
You must be banished!

Hector ... before the supercharger, what was your best mod that you felt best gains or difference in performance??

Header.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 08/27/05 05:32 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Bottom line is, you can't just go shoving an ungodly amount of boost down X engine and expect Xsquared results. It's a system and the right pieces need to be in place...

If you had completely read my previous posts, you would have noticed that I already stated those facts. See...

In a perfect world... If you have a crappy intercooler, or don't have it tuned properly, that value drops.

BTW, how to spell.

BP
Posted By: zetec, md/do Re: Help with supercharging - 08/27/05 06:17 PM
lmao
Posted By: DopePope Re: Help with supercharging - 08/29/05 07:02 AM
lol why you poking your nose in here ryan?
oops i guess that goes for me too
/troll
Posted By: percybigun_dup1 Re: Help with supercharging - 09/06/05 04:38 PM
weegee have you seen the guy on turbosport.co.uk who has put a mini cooper supercharger M45 on a vauxhall 2.0XE engine in a mk1 escort. he chopped the existing inlet manifold to stick it on, and even put an intercooler setup on it.

if you done the JRSC you wouldnt need the black box if you got an aftermarket chip, even if you wanted to you couldnt use it cos it will only work on the US focuses.

you will need an aftermarket chip (such as unichip), bigger injectors, and maybe recalibrated maf. the bigger the throttle body the better it will work.

if your gonna run decent boost you will need better engine bay ventilation, and ideally a bigger rad (try from a mondeo V6)

i done a track session the other day and engine bay temps were sky high. i'm on about 7PSI, and now realise i need water injection for future track sessions, cos mine has no intercooler.

also your best off running it on super unleaded.

one of the biggest headaches will be sorting out where all the vacuum pipes go around the inlet manifold etc. i heard that the rover inlet manifold might be a good starting point for putting a mini M45 on a zetec.

i've done a FMIC on my other mondy if you want any ideas for where to mount the IC.

oh and as for �£300 for a supercharger and nitrous on a zetec in the UK, very best of luck but i doubt thats gonna happen!
© CEG Archives