Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I have found a reasonably priced 2000 Contour Zetec engine and I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any differences that would make a swap into a pre98 not a direct swap.

I also have spotted a 98+ tranny too for a decent price so both engine and tranny will be from a 98+ Contour.

Still hoping that BP's guy will come through with the engine+tranny for $500 but just in case...
Other than return and returnless fuel systems I can't really think of any. Still would be a pretty clean swap, just switch fuel rail and etc over.

Edit: The exhaust manifold may be different.
Also, can a rod shift tranny be combined with a 98+ engine? I made a mistake, the tranny I was looking at was from a 96 Contour.

What about VCT? Would I need the 2000 computer to work with the VCT?
I bought a pre 98 zetec intake manifold and the fuel rail was totally different. My rail wouldn't even bolt up.

You wouldn't need a ecu for the VCT, just buy the VCT eliminator and cam gear it. That way you'd also get rid of the EGR.
Originally posted by Seawulf:
just buy the VCT eliminator

u can do this? where do i buy one?
Originally posted by XxPlAyBoYpImPxX:
just buy the VCT eliminator

u can do this? where do i buy one?

www.zxtuner.com

I need to mod my stockie dont I?!?!
The bolt holes on the block will line up with the tranny. The bolt holes on the windage tray will not but if you use an oil pan off a pre 98 contour it should work. The manual for sure, but im in the proecess of testing if an automatic one will work too. I think think it will from pictures I have seen.
I bought a pre 98 zetec intake manifold and the fuel rail was totally different. My rail wouldn't even bolt up.

You wouldn't need a ecu for the VCT, just buy the VCT eliminator and cam gear it. That way you'd also get rid of the EGR.

that brings in added cost...I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible so this swap needs to be as straight forward as can be.
Originally posted by 97 scort:
The bolt holes on the block will line up with the tranny. The bolt holes on the windage tray will not but if you use an oil pan off a pre 98 contour it should work. The manual for sure, but im in the proecess of testing if an automatic one will work too. I think think it will from pictures I have seen.

so there is no problem as far as using a rod shift tranny on the 98+ then...

Thats good to know...if this will all work my engine + tranny price is gonna be about $950. But I really want that engine + tranny for $500 ButtonPuncher!
Lifters are different..
Pre98 uses hydraulic, which requires oil pressure.
Post98 uses mechanical, which obviously does not.
so then, that means what?

how is that a factor when swapping an entire engine over?
Doesn't factor anything.
The blocks are the same on the tranny side and on the head side. The pre 98' blocks have a different timing belt setup. They also use different water pumps and accessories (Alternator etc.). The heads are different as well. The later blocks with the VCT have the camshaft sensor located on the exhaust camshaft side of the head instead of on the intake camshaft side. Not too sure, but I read somthing in a chilton repair manual about the 98' up heads having slightly larger valves. The answer is to get a 2000-up focus head. They have the cam sensor on the intake camshaft and they don't have the VCT on them and also use the same timing belt system as the 98-later heads/block. Other than swapping the head due to the camshaft sensor and possibly differences in the accessories run by the serpentine belt it is a straight forward swap.
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
But I really want that engine + tranny for $500 ButtonPuncher!

Check your PM's. ...sorry...

Unfortunately I was in the right place at the right time.

Hopefully I can make it up to you by showing what a built Zetec Contour with a turbo can do.

Later,
BP

Guess my search continues, I'm suddenly feeling iffy on the 98+ swap.
I have a pre98 head for sale, good for a few extra HP.
© CEG Archives