Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/19/05 02:03 AM
When I took off my old CTA filter and bracket, I decided to change my intake around. I added the plenum back and got rid of a 90 degree elbow right before the MAF. Check it out...

The filter almost fits between the body and the radiator. It's probably not getting as cool of air as it was when I had the filter completely mounted in the fender. Putting the plenum back on has made a HUGE difference in throttle response and idle smoothness. It's incredible.

My old setup...

What I really like about the whole deal is that you can't even see the hole that I drilled for my old setup. It is completely hidden by the fusebox.

What do you think?

Later,
Ben
Posted By: Pre98 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/19/05 02:46 AM
Looks very sturdy and free-flowing! Well done!
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/19/05 06:39 AM
see that is a fine setup for the zetec, much better than that sad one that was posted a few weeks ago, that person needs to check this out and write a few notes down. good work, looks nice and clean

steve
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/19/05 01:29 PM
Nice setup.....need to clean up that valve cover!
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/19/05 04:57 PM
The plenum over the TB (which I have been preaching on for over a year) is a very good idea.
Glad to see others doing some creative moding, good job!
Need to give the engine bay a good cleaning.
Posted By: zetec, md/do Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/20/05 06:32 PM
that is so sweet man, what did u use to make that?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/20/05 10:05 PM
Originally posted by zeteckit19's:
that is so sweet man, what did u use to make that?

do tell
Posted By: R_G Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/21/05 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Pre98:
Looks very sturdy and free-flowing! Well done!

Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/21/05 04:14 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks!

For all of you that want to build one of these... I've gotta warn you that my CAI ended up costing a TON. Each one of those elbows and reducers runs about $35-45. I think my original setup was in the $400 range. With that said, here's what I used on the newest setup...

3 - 45 degree elbows $46 each
1 - 3.25" to 3.0" reducer (for the MAF) $35
1 - 3.5" to 3.0" reducer (for the plenum) $37
8 - 3" SS Liner hose clamps $3 each
2 - 3.5" SS Liner hose clamps $3 each
1 - K&N RF-1030 air filter $39
3' - 3" T304 SS Pipe $44

If any of the above links don't work...

Filter - AJ-USA
Reducers - TurboHoses.com
Elbows - Baker Precision
Clamps - TurboHoses.com
SS Pipe - JC Whitney

Also, please note that my filter doesn't fit between the body and the radiator. If you are going to build one of these, get a tubular filter not a tapered one. That way you can get it in front of the radiator. My car is running pretty well, but I can tell it's getting alot more hot air than the previous setup. I'd like to order a smaller tubular filter but I'm outta cash right now. You also can't have AC. The filter sits where the AC accumulator tank used to be.

Anywho... It looks like it will cost you guys $320 without shipping.

BTW, I also made a custom jig in order to cut the silicone 45 degree bends. Without it, the cuts looked like crap.

BTW#2, if you can find lower quality (non re-inforced) silicone elbows and transitions, that should cut the cost in half. Like Pre-98 said, the re-inforced tubing is incredibly sturdy and durable.

HTH,
BP

Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/21/05 04:15 AM
Originally posted by LocoSCZ:
Nice setup.....need to clean up that valve cover!

I've got one on the way. ...and it's attached to a new motor.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/21/05 07:04 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
The plenum over the TB (which I have been preaching on for over a year) is a very good idea.

Now wait...I thought you got rid of yours? I thought you were talking about maybe a different design...?
Posted By: zetec, md/do Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/21/05 10:48 PM
Glad to see others doing some creative moding, good job!
Need to give the engine bay a good cleaning.

What's the upside to retaining the plenum?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/22/05 12:28 AM
I did ditch my stock plenum and I am in the process of designing a new one.
The stock one is not optimal because part of its design is to silence the intake.
But the stock one is better than not having one.

Simply put, the benefit of the plenum is that it allows a specific amount of air for the engine to suck in without having to pull it through the filter and through the intake tubing.

Its not so much a power thing, but will benefit throttle response.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/22/05 12:31 AM
To add to SleeperZ's response...

It helps throttle response and idle smoothness. From what I've read, Ford couldn't make the intake manifold big enough. When you nail the throttle the engine tries to pull in as much air as possible to fill the cylinders. When you just have a 3" pipe mounted to the top of the throttle body, it doesn't hold enough air to completely fill the cylinders. With the plenum box, it adds a ton of volume to the intake. When you nail the throttle all of the air in the plenum is instantly sucked out. The engine doesn't have to pull it through a little 3" pipe. It has a big-ass 16"x8"x6" box full of air ready to go.

The idle smoothness comes from the plenum box softening the IAC valve's pulses. If you just have a small pipe the pulses go back through the intake piping to the MAF. The MAF senses the air going in reverse and it leans things out. All causing lumpy idle.

I hope that makes sense.

BP
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/22/05 12:42 PM
Fantastic...great info
Posted By: PacificTourG Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/22/05 05:28 PM
So You have to remove the AC unit to fit your CAI?
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 06/23/05 12:38 PM
You don't have to remove the compressor, but you do have to remove the accumulator tank. Your AC won't work without it.

Performance is a [censored]!

BP
Posted By: evocontour Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/17/05 12:54 AM
Can't argue with the plenum being in place. I believe the PCM also takes in account for the additional air being in the plenum for fuel injection computations. Even though the MAF hasn't metered the air that should be in there (assuming a CAI was in place), the computer might still have the additional air figured in that isn't there because the plenum is gone. How hard would it be to produce a bigger plenum that was more attractive looking? I can't justify $400 for a bunch of silicone either. I can get a 3"x12' aluminum pipe mandrel bent(same stuff they use on CAI manufacturing) until it looks like a pretzel for $100 including material . You can also buy a long tube intake for a focus shipped for under $50 off of ebay as well. Of course it won't just drop into the contour, but it is alot more cost effective and also gives you over 4 feet of tube with different bends in it to work with as well.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/17/05 04:32 AM
What I'd love to have is a plenum made of aluminum that is made for the larger performance Focus throttle bodies. I've heard that the WRC Focus runs a plenum but I've never been able to find any pictures. (Unlike the stock Focus which has no plenum.)

BP
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/18/05 12:01 AM
The plenum needs to be on the intake manifold.
Every once in awhile a one-off intake manifold with a large plenum shows up on EBay.
Here's One.
Although, I've seen better.

Then theres the Ford Racing manifold.
Posted By: Tisby Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/18/05 12:34 AM
Then theres the Ford Racing manifold.

It says it's "used on the 300 hp Ford Racing Focus." I'm assuming that car (if it exists) isn't running a 2.0 Zetec, right?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/18/05 04:07 AM
2.0 Zetec is used in the WRC Focus and the FR200 (300HP).
The Zetec can produce decet numbers, just need to actually get into doing engine mods and doing them right so they compliment each other.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/18/05 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Tisby:
I'm assuming that car (if it exists) isn't running a 2.0 Zetec, right?

Them's fightin' words.

Believe it or not, the Zetec can kick ass.

BP
Posted By: GS474 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/18/05 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Originally posted by Tisby:
I'm assuming that car (if it exists) isn't running a 2.0 Zetec, right?

Them's fightin' words.

Believe it or not, the Zetec can kick ass.

BP

Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/18/05 05:01 PM
all that room and not turbo

kidding, very nice
Posted By: mystiqueness Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/18/05 11:32 PM
Originally posted by ContourGuy9817:
see that is a fine setup for the zetec, much better than that sad one that was posted a few weeks ago, that person needs to check this out and write a few notes down. good work, looks nice and clean

steve

i know i know im taking some notes...looks good man..where u put ur battery in ur trunk??
Posted By: mystiqueness Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/18/05 11:33 PM
and i need to get rid of my a/c its takin up sooo much room
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/19/05 04:00 AM
Yep, battery is in the trunk. There is a link to my battery relocation in the first CAI thread. I actually re-did it since then. When I had my intake manifold out to put on a new gasket, I completely re-wired the battery/alternator/starter. I don't think I ever posted pics of that one. Mostly because it would just be a bragging thread. I used some special tools so I really don't see anyone else attempting it.

Detailed battery relocation instructions.

It's really amazing how much room that getting rid of the AC frees up. The Duratec guys would KILL for that much room. The turbo, water to air intercooler, and all of the plumbing will fit very easily.

All I need is another $1500. Anyone?

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 08/20/05 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Yep, battery is in the trunk. There is a link to my battery relocation in the first CAI thread. I actually re-did it since then. When I had my intake manifold out to put on a new gasket, I completely re-wired the battery/alternator/starter. I don't think I ever posted pics of that one. Mostly because it would just be a bragging thread. I used some special tools so I really don't see anyone else attempting it.

Detailed battery relocation instructions.

It's really amazing how much room that getting rid of the AC frees up. The Duratec guys would KILL for that much room. The turbo, water to air intercooler, and all of the plumbing will fit very easily.

All I need is another $1500. Anyone?

BP

I need about the same....
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 03/20/06 06:06 AM
Here's some updated pics with my Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator...

I ended up ditching the plenum because there was no way that it was going to fit with the FPR. Good thing I already had the parts to eliminate it.

Pretty much no clearance.

Another angle.

Purdy FPR.

Also, while I still believe using the plenum is the best setup, my new setup has very good idle and throttle response. I think that the multiple bends right by the MAF in the old setup was really screwing things up. You live, you learn.

BP
Posted By: jtour Re: BP CAI ver 2.0 - lotsa pics - 03/20/06 01:37 PM
Sweet set up I like it.

© CEG Archives