Bad cat converter
Throttle body still giving me problems after new TPS
Fuel pump- really needs to be replaced
Running real rich....will address this after the fuel pump install

Things to do:
WATER/METHANOL INJECTION
smaller lighter wheels at the track
more boost

I was supposed to have a new downpipe made, BUT it didn't happen. The cat was going to be replaced with that. I thought the TB would be working after the new TPS but nothing. I guess this is one Focus part that cannot be switched over. I will be switching back to my optimzed TB (sorry Jared). My fuel pump is still going down so that really didn't help. Gotta install that SOON!!! After that I will address the running rich by getting a my chip retuned.

After running at the track I realize that the water injection is necessary when running a Eaton blower at high boost. Car felt like it had so much more when I ran with it when it was cooler outside. I knocked .3 seconds off from my first run (car was hot) to my last run (after it sat for a couple of hours). I know the W/I will knock off a lot more time. In addition to that my 2.3 pulley will contribute some more (as it sits in my back seat).

Probably didn't help I was running with my 21 lb BBS 17's so next track day 2 steelies are making the trip with me.

First run: 17.0 at 83 mph (hot)
Last run: 16.7 at 85 mph (cool)

There is a lot more work ahead just fixing all the bugs. In all reality I expected this since I experiment with a lot of parts not meant for the Contour. Some have worked and some haven't.
Posted By: R_G Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/10/05 03:15 PM
Nice, keep it!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/10/05 03:47 PM
Made me feel a whole lot better about my time when another Zetec Contour ATX with intake and SVT exhaust ran 18.2. To improve almost 2 sec on the 1/4 from stock is a big deal in my book. One more second and I will hit my goal of SVT times. Something to look forward to.
Posted By: Seawulf_dup1 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/10/05 05:21 PM
How's your exhaust? Is it still stock? Do you have a race header? If not you should get one. Remember, "not enough backpressure" is a thing of the past. Get the biggest exhaust you can fit under the car, and that will help also.

The biggest problem is that you have the M45 blower and it's so weak. You need serious NA mods, like big cams and head work, to get close to 200whp, plus full race exhaust. Sucks that you can't get the Focus TB to work cause the TB is a bottle neck on the JR. What about looking at a Duratec V6 TB? Same problems with the TPS? You'll need the H2O injection to push more than 9psi, but even then you won't push more power.

OK, just saw your pic links, so you do have a racing header? But also a CAT? How big's your exhaust? You need at least 2.5" if not 3". Do you have stock cams? One of the Cougar guys installed a stage 2 cam on the intake only and got decent gains.
Posted By: 96mercury Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/10/05 06:36 PM
hector you seriously need to get that thing tuned on a dyno!! Maybe its my stick but I would have thought you would be in the 15s at least. Tuning time bro rich kills performance, just 5% too rich on my safc can make a big difference. Its gotta be just right.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/10/05 07:56 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZsc:
Made me feel a whole lot better about my time when another Zetec Contour ATX with intake and SVT exhaust ran 18.2. To improve almost 2 sec on the 1/4 from stock is a big deal in my book. One more second and I will hit my goal of SVT times. Something to look forward to.

are you running at SZ?

i'm really thinking about it now and wouldn't mind taking you on.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/10/05 09:14 PM
Get cams and head work and everything else you can. Get fast.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/10/05 10:12 PM
To improve almost 2 sec on the 1/4 from stock is a big deal in my book.

I agree. Great job so far.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/10/05 10:13 PM
Accoring to the "Drag Strip Dyno" a 16.7 @ 85mph is about 135wHP for 2900lb car.
Time to open up to a full 2.5" exhaust, get the TB working, and tune.
Good to see your working on it.
2 seconds off stock is great.
Another 1+ seconds is definately in range.
Posted By: GS474 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/11/05 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 96mercury:
hector you seriously need to get that thing tuned on a dyno!! Maybe its my stick but I would have thought you would be in the 15s at least. Tuning time bro rich kills performance, just 5% too rich on my safc can make a big difference. Its gotta be just right.

Posted By: IonNinja Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/11/05 08:34 PM
stock Contours run 18.7? where is this 2 seconds knockoff coming from?
Posted By: TjZ Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/11/05 08:57 PM
Quote:

Last run: 16.7 at 85 mph (cool)

That is where it is coming from. Stock Zetec ATX's run 18.7 I guess...
Posted By: IonNinja Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/11/05 09:10 PM
I didn't know that.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 12:24 AM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
Accoring to the "Drag Strip Dyno" a 16.7 @ 85mph is about 135wHP for 2900lb car.
Time to open up to a full 2.5" exhaust, get the TB working, and tune.
Good to see your working on it.
2 seconds off stock is great.
Another 1+ seconds is definately in range.

You are forgeting the ATX factor. It sucks so much! I have a 2.5" exhaust.....I know of a few bottlenecks in the system though. Those are getting fixed this coming weekend.

I know the biggest factor was the heat. When it is warm outside the car almost feels anemic. Also after some investgation I found that the Focus throttle cable in combination with my pedal, is not allowing the TB to open all the way. "Full throttle" shifts at 5700 rpms. My old TB at full throttle was shifting at 6250 rpms. So I really don't think that I was driving down the track at full throttle. Things to figure out.

After this weekend I have seriously thought about getting rid of the car. Miles are climbing and it is getting more expensive to mod AND maintain. But then again I own the car and really don't want to start over. It is real hard to invest so much and in reality get your hopes up. Right now I am at a crossroads.
Posted By: R_G Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 12:35 AM

After this weekend I have seriously thought about getting rid of the car. Miles are climbing and it is getting more expensive to mod AND maintain.

Well, sorry to hear that. U were the one who always kept sayin' that u were gonn keep your ride "forever." Also, it's not b/c u really hoped to get a Contour runnin' fast and wild; it's more like a hobby putting more and more time/effort into something. Also, think about it - u won't be able to even get your money back - like we all know that something that costs $100 (as an aftermarket part) adds nothing to the total car's cost when sold.

So, to make a long story short - don't do that!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 12:43 AM
Originally posted by R_G:

After this weekend I have seriously thought about getting rid of the car. Miles are climbing and it is getting more expensive to mod AND maintain.

Well, sorry to hear that. U were the one who always kept sayin' that u were gonn keep your ride "forever." Also, it's not b/c u really hoped to get a Contour runnin' fast and wild; it's more like a hobby putting more and more time/effort into something. Also, think about it - u won't be able to even get your money back - like we all know that something that costs $100 (as an aftermarket part) adds nothing to the total car's cost when sold.

So, to make a long story short - don't do that!

I realize I would get crap for it. Right now I am going nuts thinking about "IF I do this....." It is real frustrating. I realize that it is in me to mod anything that I drive. What keeps me coming back to the Contour is this site and people on this site. Everytime I get in my car I get looks.....nods of approval. I got so much attention at the track it wasn't even funny. At work today one of the older ladys complimented my rims! It is MY car. People that see me know it is mine. Right now I am little pissed and a little tired.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 12:44 AM
Keep at it.
Posted By: R_G Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Keep at it.

And u keep at yours
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 01:01 AM
Originally posted by R_G:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Keep at it.

And u keep at yours

I'm never selling my car. So if I ever have money, it may get modded more. Dern edumacation is expensive.
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 02:15 AM
I figure you should be a bit quicker than that. My bone stock (at the time) ATX duratec ran a 16.8 at 83mph...

If your car wasn't shifting at WOT, you are definitely losing time in the 1/4. That alone would make a big difference, ESP with a blower. The blower doesn't make peak boost down low, it makes it up top...

Oh yea, your car is AWESOME! I'm sure you could get 15's out of your car with a little work!

The only supercharged Zetec to date, that alone is VERY impressive!
Posted By: IonNinja Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 06:31 AM
while I would like to encourage you on and say to keep at it.

is it really worth it? I mean even if you do make it into SVT territory...thats only in the 15s. In reality thats not fast at all. Not even close...You've got 2 more seconds to knock off that 15 second time to even be considered quick.

I also wanted a quick contour at one point but with all these new cars coming out and with the money/mod ratio of some factory turbocharged cars out there...its really a waste.

While there is nothing wrong with having a clean car with some bolt ons here and there, dumping loads of money into it is not worth it.
Posted By: 96mercury Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 06:40 AM
I agree it may not be worth it but it is fun and unique and yours so why not. I turboed my neon and everyone said that it was a waste, the thing ran a 13.3 in the 1/4 when I sold it. I still miss it but not the problems. If I had to do it over again I would have kept it and you should to. If your looking for a port and polished head cheap I have one, but it is milled for 10.4:1 compression so something would need to be done to lower the compression for a supercharger.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 06:40 AM
Hector has already supercharged it. I think just getting the kinks worked out is all that is needed for some respectable numbers. It would be a waste to NOT continue at this point, and probably a decent loss of money if he sold the car.
Posted By: m!key Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 01:04 PM
i think he should sell it. if he isnt going to get the car tuned correctly then he is just wasting his time. all of this guess work could be figured out if he knew what the car was doing but for some reason he doesnt want to take it to a dyno. i say sell it to someone who would do things right.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 02:24 PM
Mike is right on. What's the point in throwing parts on if you don't dyno it right after an F/I install? When you change other parts you don't know if you're making a difference unless you dyno. I guess you can tell at the strip but still.
Posted By: 96mercury Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 02:54 PM
I think he needs to get the thing tuned right then he will like it even more. Hector maybe a chip isn't the answer, maybe just use a chip to remove a little timing and remove the speed limiter, but use an SAFC to tune on a dyno. With an safc you can probably get a better tune then someone programming a chip after looking at a few dyno runs. Plus you can easily retune it for other mods. Point is its your money your car, whats another $300 at the dyno to get it running right you already have about $3k into the FI setup now right.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/12/05 03:38 PM
What it comes down to is personal choice.
It is Hector's car.
Does he think investing his hard earned money into making his car "quick" is worth it.
1/4 mile times and dyno #'s are only 2 factors.
The overall style of the car (and I must say I personally think Hector has one of the best looking cars, very tasteful), the uniqueness of a Contour being quick, the great handling that's possible, etc.

I decided, early on, that I wanted a quick car but was not going to invest alot of money.
So I went with nitrous instead of a turbo or s/c.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 12:39 AM
Dyno tuning is in the near future. What would be the point of tuning before the W/I and the smaller pulley. I know the car is getting enough fuel.....so the plan is to swap back the optimized TB, get my exhaust issues fixed, buy the the W/I, and install that with the smaller pulley. THEN it is off to the dyno to get my chip tuned.

After looking at cars, thinking about car payments, driving my car I am keeping it. I love this car.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 12:45 AM
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
while I would like to encourage you on and say to keep at it.

is it really worth it? I mean even if you do make it into SVT territory...thats only in the 15s. In reality thats not fast at all. Not even close...You've got 2 more seconds to knock off that 15 second time to even be considered quick.

I also wanted a quick contour at one point but with all these new cars coming out and with the money/mod ratio of some factory turbocharged cars out there...its really a waste.

While there is nothing wrong with having a clean car with some bolt ons here and there, dumping loads of money into it is not worth it.

It is not about being the fastest out there. I swear you kids will never get it. That is why every kid is driving a damn SRT!

The point of building my car is for me. I am an enthusiast. If I wanted to just be fast, I would have sold the car and gone DSM or something like that. But they too have problems. I wanted something unique, something that any true enthusiast can appreciate. I tell people straight up all the time: "It's not the fastest car, but it is fun." My car is quick for what it is. And you know what? People always are surprised by my car.....and that is what I want.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 12:48 AM
Originally posted by mikey boy:
i think he should sell it. if he isnt going to get the car tuned correctly then he is just wasting his time. all of this guess work could be figured out if he knew what the car was doing but for some reason he doesnt want to take it to a dyno. i say sell it to someone who would do things right.

Mike....when will you ever learn? I go through things a certain way. It may not be the easiest way but I learn from it. I am always figuring things out in my head. If I didn't do it this way my car would not be anything like it is today.

I am now the official "Zetec Contour research and development team"
Posted By: The Davis Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 12:51 AM
Well put, Hector. If I had a dime for every person that has said "why a Contour?" I'd have it t/c'd by now

I love my car. I can relate to what Hector is saying. I was grinning ear-to-ear today when it finally pulled itself out of the garage under its own power. I'm a 30 year-old man and I get giddy about a 4-cylinder sedan!!

But Hector, you should dyno tune it unless you have absolute certainty that the A/F ratios are good. I'd hate to see the dreaded "I think I blew it up" post from you.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 12:57 AM
Originally posted by D Davis:
Well put, Hector. If I had a dime for every person that has said "why a Contour?" I'd have it t/c'd by now

I love my car. I can relate to what Hector is saying. I was grinning ear-to-ear today when it finally pulled itself out of the garage under its own power. I'm a 30 year-old man and I get giddy about a 4-cylinder sedan!!

But Hector, you should dyno tune it unless you have absolute certainty that the A/F ratios are good. I'd hate to see the dreaded "I think I blew it up" post from you.

That is alright.....I know for a fact I am running rich. But if I did blewd it up (knocks on wood).....it is a good thing I have a spare engine.

I will get the A/F worked out very soon.
Posted By: m!key Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 12:58 AM
Mike....when will you ever learn? I go through things a certain way. It may not be the easiest way but I learn from it.

when will i learn? well your way of learning hasnt worked yet. i too, like D, am waiting for the "there went the engine" post. i dont want to see that happen but i think you are playing with a bomb. just like the vette.
Posted By: The Davis Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 01:09 AM
I wish you the best of luck, Hector. But I know where I'm going once my new pistons and seals break in...to the dyno!! I don't even have the aftermarket chip in it right now and am running stock timing.

I just don't want to take a chance. At least you have a spare motor, though.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 10:44 AM
I tell people straight up all the time: "It's not the fastest car, but it is fun."

I've never heard you say that???

Hey dude, quitcher and get that POS running right. You sell it before you see it's full potential, then you'll be a bigger loser than you are now!!!

How are you an "Enthusiast" if in this entie thread theres no "Enthusiam"????

You owe it to all your Zetec followers to see what that shitbox can do. Hell, I'm even curious to see it at it's best.

Now quitcher biotchin' and hop to it moron. No one likes a whiner that lives with a whiner, driving a whining car!!!!!

Ahhh, I'm such nice guy
Posted By: m!key Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 11:56 AM
speak the truth brother! speak it!
Posted By: Stazi Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 12:01 PM
And get a manual trans already!
Posted By: IonNinja Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 08:22 PM
I swear you kids will never get it. That is why every kid is driving a damn SRT!

yeah you're probably right...running a 16.7 in supercharged ATX heaven just doesn't appeal to me.

I guess maybe I should be like every 20 year old kid and pick up an SRT4.
Posted By: 96mercury Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/13/05 09:12 PM
Hector if your still having problems with the focus throttle body maybe you should compare it directly to a stock focus one. I have a stock focus one that I can look at, just tell me what parts of it don't make sense. Also I have the sensors on it still and the wiring harness for it so if you want to buy it cheap let me know.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/14/05 11:39 AM
His throttle body is not the issue. it's the fact that all his mods aren't tuned and he has to straighten out his problems first. Also having the ATX will always put him behind where he wants to be as far as 1/4 mile times are concerned.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/14/05 01:17 PM
Congrats, you're almost as fast as my beater, which is worth less than your supercharger!

j/k - that's a lot of hard work, I'm glad you're seeing results! keep having fun experimenting!
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/14/05 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
Congrats, you're almost as fast as my beater, which is worth less than your supercharger!

Wrong.....Just Wrong
Funny as Shite!!!!!!
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/14/05 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Bk4293:

Wrong.....Just Wrong
Funny as Shite!!!!!!

Posted By: Obsidian Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/14/05 04:45 PM

That was meeee! Holy crap i can't believe.... wait. I didn't have the exhaust. Oh well, I had the intake. lol.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/14/05 05:00 PM
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:

Wrong.....Just Wrong
Funny as Shite!!!!!!

Wheres the mod of this section, I'm reporting you for quoting me too much. I know he is very strict about these things!!!
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/15/05 01:02 AM
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:

Wrong.....Just Wrong
Funny as Shite!!!!!!

Wheres the mod of this section, I'm reporting you for quoting me too much. I know he is very strict about these things!!!

Riiight, thanks for answering you phone.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/15/05 01:28 AM
You guys are ridiculous. I have an ATX.....SO WHAT! Gotta deal with that fact. 2nd....I know about the tuning. I said that from the start. Fixing the issues as we speak.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/15/05 02:08 AM
You guys are ridiculous. I have an ATX.....SO WHAT! Gotta deal with that fact. 2nd....I know about the tuning. I said that from the start. Fixing the issues as we speak.

3rd, we have a 3000lb car.
Add about 500 lbs to a Honduh and see if it still runs 13's.
Posted By: R_G Re: New 1/4 time...more work to do - 04/16/05 08:06 PM
You guys are ridiculous. I have an ATX.....SO WHAT! Gotta deal with that fact.

Right on! Show 'em Hec!
© CEG Archives