Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: hightechredneck zetec performance question - 01/28/05 03:16 AM
hello all i have a few questions aboot the zetec i want to know where i can get after market parts for it i have been looking threw ebay and all that and i cant really find anything for it except cold air intake and udps what else is there and can someone please tell me where i can go for it?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 03:18 AM
i have no idea.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 03:25 AM
There is a post at the top of this forum about places to start... But since you are new...

Optimised Throttle body
Cold air intake (or short ram) www.ctamotorsports.com
Header www.zxtunder.com
custom exhaust setup... a lot of people like to try the SVT exhaust (id like to, but cant find one in my area).
Esslinger underdrive pulley
Adjustible cam pulleys
Ford racing wires
Accell Coil

Forced Induction:
Jackson Supercharger (talk to LoCoZ S/c)

These are just a few ideas
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 04:21 AM
I thought a Jackson Racing S/C couldnt be adapted to our Zetecs?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 04:28 AM
Originally posted by ZetaEx:
I thought a Jackson Racing S/C couldnt be adapted to our Zetecs?

What dat on hector's engine den?
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 04:50 AM

Umm... it kinda looks like a shiny worm... thing... having a really REALLy bad day.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 05:01 AM
That is a pre-supercharger shot.
Posted By: hightechredneck Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 05:14 AM
thanks everyone sry aboot not reading the starting point. i wont run accel i had a blazer with accel products and they [censored] out on me after like 3 days but go figure it was a chevy so i may try them again thanks for the links ill read more next time
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 05:15 AM
Originally posted by hightechredneck:
thanks everyone sry aboot not reading the starting point. i wont run accel i had a blazer with accel products and they [censored] out on me after like 3 days but go figure it was a chevy so i may try them again thanks for the links ill read more next time

There is also msd. But anyways the coil isn't a big deal. If your stock one is fine, keep using it.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec performance question - 01/28/05 11:21 PM
No.....
Posted By: hightechredneck Re: zetec performance question - 01/29/05 03:49 AM
im looking for things to make the car nice and powerful but i dont want to kill gas milage i run 45 miles everyday to work but i want to kick anythings @$$ when im challenged any suggestions? thanx for all the help here
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: zetec performance question - 01/29/05 01:36 PM
Well, I was going to say nitrous, but I wouldnt want to throw too much hp into the ATX all of the sudden. Having it die sucks.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec performance question - 01/29/05 02:31 PM
My gas mileage is killed only if I floor it all the time. (42# injectors will do that!)
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 01/29/05 07:31 PM
Originally posted by hightechredneck:
im looking for things to make the car nice and powerful but i dont want to kill gas milage i run 45 miles everyday to work but i want to kick anythings @$$ when im challenged any suggestions? thanx for all the help here

sell the contour
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 01/29/05 08:38 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZsc:
My gas mileage is killed only if I floor it all the time. (42# injectors will do that!)

Hey Hector, what kind of power are you getting out of the Zetec these days? Any problems with maintenance on the S/C?
Posted By: Batmobile_dup1 Re: zetec performance question - 01/30/05 07:36 AM
The ultimate mod!!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 01/30/05 07:57 AM
Dood, how much power that thing got now?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec performance question - 01/30/05 02:36 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZsc:

Hey Hector, what kind of power are you getting out of the Zetec these days? Any problems with maintenance on the S/C?

Don't know yet....couple more parts I need to get before I hit the dyno.
Posted By: hightechredneck Re: zetec performance question - 01/30/05 05:07 PM
i aint selling it but im guessing everything u do to these cars doesnt hurt them to much as for the nos i have thought aboot it but like u said an atx wouldnt handle it ill pay it off and maybe do a conversion on it thanx for the help
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec performance question - 01/30/05 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
Well, I was going to say nitrous, but I wouldnt want to throw too much hp into the ATX all of the sudden.

An ATX can use nitrous, just need to get a progresive sontroller that rolls the nitrous on, this will prevent the sudden shock.
A stand alone universal controller is about $300.
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 01/30/05 07:41 PM
Hector, after you dyno, you have GOT to post a list of your mods... and maybe the costs too... Maybe it wont deter me that much to see the grand total
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: zetec performance question - 01/30/05 11:28 PM
and maybe the costs too... Maybe it wont deter me that much to see the grand total

I have spent enough on mods during my ownership that I could have bought me a supercharger.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 12:30 AM
Supercharger -$2000
Mustang GT MAF- $80
Diablochip (custom)- $400
2.6 pulley- $100
Exhaust work- too much money
Kamikaze header- $300 for header, $80 for cat, $120 for flex pipe
CTA intake- $150
K&N filter-$50
MSD coil- $70
MSD wires- $40
Motorcraft copper plugs- $30

Not to mention I have a spare set of Ford Racing wires, NGK copper plugs....

Coming very soon

Focus Central 65mm TB- $250
Snow Performance water injection- $250

Hoping for 170-180 WHP
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 01:34 AM
Going off of those numbers, I could have done all the mods you have done and still have a bit left over.

Id still be crusing around in an ATX though.
Posted By: 77Transam95GL Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 05:08 AM
170 - 180 whp?!?!.. Seriously?

No disrespects but that's really depressing , i mean you spent almost 4000 dollars in mods, 3920 to be exact, not to mention the cost of installing everything. I mean, thats 2720 more than what I got my car for! ..Dang hector you must be a baller bro, spending all that loot on your car! I have a hard time thinking i spent 400 bucks on all the mods I have ( gotta Luv Ebay )Man i really hope U end up with 270-280 whp...good luck on that Dyno
Posted By: 96mercury Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 05:25 AM
Well Hector pays the cost of being the first and the fact that their aren't many zetec superchargers out their. Plus he has a reliable setup over 10k miles IIRC. Personally I would have gone turbo for the cost to performance ratio but thats because I have experience with custom turbo applications. I think he may have paid a lot for the bang to buck ratio but he enjoys it and so do we Good job Hector!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 05:39 AM
I think with tuning and all, he could definitely see more than 170whp. But does he want to? He's got a tranny to worry about.
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 06:10 AM
That is very true, too much more power and you get into a whole new set of problems. The truth is that these cars weren't designed with performance in mind... You really do pay a price for loving these cars... its almost like a bad girlfriend! She is so bad for you... but damn you love the b!tch...
Posted By: percybigun_dup1 Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 11:01 AM
hector where did you get the supercharger for $2000, the cheapest i can find it is $2450 (shipped) at import car parts plus?

i'll be ordering mine very soon! much cheaper than a turbo conversion, and it will put out better mpg than being turboed.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 05:11 PM
Lets break down Hectors price/power ratio a bit, shall we;

First lets settle on 175wHP.
Now assuming a 23% loss through the drivetrain, thats about 227BHP.
On a car starting with 130BHP, thats a gain of nearly 100HP, a 75% bump in power.
And superchargers are not like turbos, they are not going to double an engines HP output (normally).
So for about $4000 for 100HP = $40 per 1HP.
A good Honda kit adds 60-70HP, maybe as much as 80HP, for about $2500 new.
Thats about $35-$42 per 1HP, $31 per HP at 80HP gain.
So Hector paid all of $9 per HP more for a car that has near zero aftermarket support.
Tuning will raise that cost maybe $2 per HP more, makint it $42 per HP and only $11 more per HP than a less efficient Honda kit.

We would all like to see a Honda type kit (install in 2-3 hours for a 60HP gain ) but its not going to happen.

BTW, I think 160-170wHP is about where Hector will top out even with tuning, on his current setup which is very impressive!
Of course when he has other work doen that number will go up.
And its not all about peak numbers, I'm confident the area under Hector's HP/TQ lines will be more than a Honda could dream of.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 06:11 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
I'm confident the area under Hector's HP/TQ lines will be more than a Honda could dream of.

Fo sho.
Posted By: 96mercury Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 06:56 PM
When I did a custom turbo kit on my Neon a few years ago I did it for less then $600 and it ran, but not well. Another $300 and it ran well and got the same MPG when not under boost. So for under $1000 I put together a reliable system. It pulled a 13.3 in the 1/4 mile. With street tires. The supercharger alone costs a minimum of $2000, but whatever
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: zetec performance question - 01/31/05 10:05 PM

On a car starting with 130BHP, thats a gain of nearly 100HP, a 75% bump in power.
And superchargers are not like turbos, they are not going to double an engines HP output (normally).
So Hector paid all of $9 per HP more for a car that has near zero aftermarket support.
Tuning will raise that cost maybe $2 per HP more, makint it $42 per HP and only $11 more per HP than a less efficient Honda kit.

We would all like to see a Honda type kit (install in 2-3 hours for a 60HP gain ) but its not going to happen.

BTW, I think 160-170wHP is about where Hector will top out even with tuning, on his current setup which is very impressive!
And its not all about peak numbers, I'm confident the area under Hector's HP/TQ lines will be more than a Honda could dream of.

Jesus Christ dude you gotta lot of time on your hands , I wouldn't have had the patience to figure that out, also how did you figure it out?

Anyhow where did all you guys get those nifty covers for around and over your spark plugs those are cool and make the engine compartment look cleaner.
Posted By: IonNinja Re: zetec performance question - 02/01/05 01:23 AM
Originally posted by 77Transam95GL:
170 - 180 whp?!?!.. Seriously?

No disrespects but that's really depressing , i mean you spent almost 4000 dollars in mods, 3920 to be exact, not to mention the cost of installing everything. I mean, thats 2720 more than what I got my car for! ..Dang hector you must be a baller bro, spending all that loot on your car! I have a hard time thinking i spent 400 bucks on all the mods I have ( gotta Luv Ebay )Man i really hope U end up with 270-280 whp...good luck on that Dyno

you expect more from a JRSC?
Posted By: IonNinja Re: zetec performance question - 02/01/05 01:24 AM
Originally posted by percybigun:
hector where did you get the supercharger for $2000, the cheapest i can find it is $2450 (shipped) at import car parts plus?

i'll be ordering mine very soon! much cheaper than a turbo conversion, and it will put out better mpg than being turboed.

but alot less power.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec performance question - 02/01/05 02:16 AM

Thanks for breaking it down.

I wanted reliable HP. JRSC was a proven, reliable mod. It wasn't about cost. Sure I could have built a turbo kit for the same amount but for me it wasn't realistic. I own an ATX and the level of torque a turbo makes would have grenaded my ATX. I wanted decent, reliable power (not the most ever) because my car is daily driven. I remember discussing back in the old forums about the possibilty of the JRSC fitting the Contour....I had some money saved up so I went for it. I wanted something different. So my car is where it is today. I really couldn't be happier. Got some small mods I still got to do (TB and water injection) but the car has come a long way from making 90 HP and the wheels.

Trust me this is not the end. I just bought a used cylinder head which will be torn apart very soon.
Posted By: hightechredneck Re: zetec performance question - 02/01/05 02:54 AM
that is really cool. i dont understand how a super/turbo work tho i can get the bacis principles ran more air in equals more hp. but i dont have that much money to be doing things like that. i have a family and dont get paid that well. so one day i get money ill do it. let me know what you port and polish the head to. i have a freind that can do it for free. ill just go to a yard and get one. i thank everyone for the insite up here and have opened a new whole can of worms in my mind. thanks again
Posted By: blakjak Re: zetec performance question - 02/01/05 01:46 PM
Originally posted by mystique97:
Anyhow where did all you guys get those nifty covers for around and over your spark plugs those are cool and make the engine compartment look cleaner.

check the zetec performance forum for "add some bling blng to your engine bay"

-noob-
Posted By: percybigun_dup1 Re: zetec performance question - 02/01/05 02:31 PM
yeah that guy sells the shiney spark plug cover for approx 25dollars plus shipping from the UK.

i got one from raceline on mine.
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 02/02/05 02:55 AM
Hector,

You posted earlier that you got the Kamikaze Header. I found one at http://www.mmrusa.com for the Zx2. Is that the one you used, or did you find one specifically for the Contour?
btw, my name's Zeke, doesnt it suck when everyone knows YOUR name
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec performance question - 02/02/05 03:19 AM
That's it. Downpipe gotta be modified.
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 02/02/05 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
That's it. Downpipe gotta be modified.

Modified how?
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec performance question - 02/02/05 04:50 PM
It has been posted many, many times.
Just search.
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 02/02/05 09:33 PM
Will do
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 02/03/05 03:59 AM
It has been posted many, many times.
Just search.

Allright, so essentially... I need to move the o2 sensor, modify the pipes and get a high flow cat... its do-able but it takes a little time and a little $$... so my next question...

I am in the process of completing a deal on an SVT exhaust system, so with the previously mentioned mods (Kamikaze header, high flow cat) is a cat back SVT exhaust too constrictive?

I want to avoid a situation where I am constantly upgrading my upgrades... if you know what I mean
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec performance question - 02/03/05 04:20 AM
It wouldn't be too constrictive.....and would probably cut down on the loudness of the header.
Posted By: ZetaEx Re: zetec performance question - 02/03/05 06:43 AM
Well thats good then I'd like to get some umph out of my setup but I'm always annoyed when cars drive by and you can literally FEEL their exhaust... My alarm used to go off all the TIME because of it. I think I'll spare others from the acoustic wrath of my pimped-out-4-bangin ride
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: zetec performance question - 02/03/05 04:28 PM
Come on Moderator, we need a sticky about headers.
© CEG Archives