Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SmoothV Stop Pulling? - 11/15/04 02:42 PM
Hey guys, went to dyno day with the Capitol CEG peeps. I did a baseline on my car...with just an intake added. They did three pulls. Hope you have Adobe Reader :

http://home.comcast.net/~pxbgr/PDFs/Test-2.pdf

As you can see on the last pull...(page 3)...the guy said that my car stops pulling before it hits redline. Any suggestions? I heard a couple peeps tell me to get a chip. I have been listening up on the recent chip thread. Any other things i should look into? I have also heard from other people that underdrive pulleys dont do justice...and can throw things off? I am just going by ear, not fully trusting on anything . Thanks.

I am not really pressing on the car to keep pulling...hehe...just found it weird
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/15/04 03:48 PM
Oh yea...meant to add...i have a VCT...hehe no cam upgrades...eek.
Posted By: cruizncontour Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/15/04 05:33 PM
im at a loss for words, except that the zetec is like most motors, the best shift point is around redline, thats when the car hits highest torque in the next gear, but at the same time, you lose torque in the split second your at redline, most ATX trannys hit redline only while shifting, not before.... MTX.......... your on your own there...... CLUTCH
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 01:25 AM
Without many mods your car will not make max power at redline. My car when I first dynoed (intake, chip, some exhaust work)dynoed 111hp and 121tq......made peak power and torque at like 5800 rpms. A chip would help...but you gain more power with header....or any forced induction.;)
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 02:32 AM
Originally posted by LoCoZs/c:
Without many mods your car will not make max power at redline. My car when I first dynoed (intake, chip, some exhaust work)dynoed 111hp and 121tq......made peak power and torque at like 5800 rpms. A chip would help...but you gain more power with header....or any forced induction.;)

have you dynoed w/ the supercharger yet?
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:

He can barely pull a stock ATX Duratec.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 03:17 AM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:

HAHAHAHA....I lost you. That was with no chip, no Mustang MAF, no smaller pulley, no injectors......

I am trying to get to the dyno by the end of the month. Right now gotta install a new 02 sensor and flex pipe (old one has big hole!
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 03:23 AM

HAHAHAHA....I lost you. That was with no chip, no Mustang MAF, no smaller pulley, no injectors......

I am trying to get to the dyno by the end of the month. Right now gotta install a new 02 sensor and flex pipe (old one has big hole!

have you at least went to the track yet?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 04:38 AM

No....trying to get all the little things done. I should be on the dyno the 27th of this month.

have you at least went to the track yet?

Posted By: cruizncontour Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 05:10 AM
woa woa wait just a minute, call m a noobie, but you can put a Mustang MAF oon the zetec?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 05:49 AM
Yeah, but gotta program for it.

Newbie!
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 05:58 AM
i got a lightning maf on my 3L!! its big as hell!
Posted By: cruizncontour Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 09:59 AM
so wait, you guys mean you can program MAF sensors...... how? im now enthused.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 10:19 AM
No, well sorta on like pro-flow iirc, but not stock.... anyways you're getting too complicated.... program chip,, for the computer, so it recognizes the readings right.
Posted By: cruizncontour Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 11:44 AM
ok, forget the complicatedness, im just trying to get over the fact of changing out the MAF in general. im weird like that, you know.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 01:25 PM

How much do headers usually run for? imho...forced induction is just too much to ask....lol...3000-5000...eeeek. Thanks for the info though. 111hp? i got the with just an intake...hehe
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 03:39 PM
Originally posted by cruizncontour:
so wait, you guys mean you can program MAF sensors...... how? im now enthused.

you can recalibrate an MAF to work with your larger injectors (if you have them)...but you don't really need a larger MAF or bigger injectors til you start making some good power.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 04:49 PM
eeek...i lost my searching skills...haha read up on the post from a little earlier on the Cougar header. What fabrications are needed?
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 07:13 PM
for you, there are none.

but one of the guys on fastcougar.com posted a how-to on the install in the zetec forum.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 07:34 PM
Looks pretty simple...will i need to get rid of my stock resonator and piping all the way back? Sigh. I will always be a noob

I have a new Magnaflow #14815 muffler i am going to pop on. If i gotta remove all stock piping..do i just go to a muffler shop, get them to mold me something?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 11:24 PM
Originally posted by BigT:
111hp? i got the with just an intake...hehe

I have a ATX.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 11:27 PM
Woowoo.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 11:27 PM
i know man...just joshin ya
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/16/04 11:29 PM
Hey! I pull more than that, without the intake!
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/17/04 01:25 PM
Because I live in MD...one of the worst states to live in...for Smog regulations...hehe. I probably wouldnt be about to get rid of the CAT. What if i get the zxtuner header with a lets say Magnaflow high flow cat? Just throwing ideas...would need a resonator too huh?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/18/04 03:58 AM
Because I live in MD...one of the worst states to live in...for Smog regulations...hehe. I probably wouldnt be about to get rid of the CAT. What if i get the zxtuner header with a lets say Magnaflow high flow cat? Just throwing ideas...would need a resonator too huh?

Yes you would need a resonator.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/18/04 04:39 AM
Now im a little confused about the Cat. Zxtuner says that it replaces your stock Cat/manifold....but i was surfing the NECO threads...and they talk about it just being a bolt-on? haha im just .
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/18/04 06:48 AM
look under your car...you will understand once you look.

actually, nevermind...just look at your manifold, cat, and downpipe...remove heatshield first though.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/18/04 09:39 PM
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:

actually, nevermind...just look at your manifold, cat, and downpipe...remove heatshield first though.

I'll look under there tomorrow or this weekend. See what i see . Question though..would i hinder anything getting the header..then fabricating a cat and resonator on it? Or should i just forget getting a header....sigh at emission laws
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Stop Pulling? - 11/19/04 03:18 AM
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:

I'll look under there tomorrow or this weekend. See what i see . Question though..would i hinder anything getting the header..then fabricating a cat and resonator on it? Or should i just forget getting a header....sigh at emission laws

You with the 99 will probably have to modify the downpipe.....and maybe relocate the o2 bung. That cat will have to be moved under the car.
© CEG Archives