Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: wa2tuff carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/13/04 10:52 PM
I have to wipe my rolled exhaust tips (Borla) every day to remove the black carbon. My car runs fine-doesn't use oil, no smoking, etc. What's going on? Is it running too rich or lean, etc? Bear with me, I'm no mechanic. I've pulled fuses to reset the computer, but nothing seems to help. What gives?
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/13/04 11:10 PM
You are running rich. My 95 SE has no cat and has MSDS headers and when I get on the gas around 5k rpm I get black smoke. It seems to run rich at WOT. Are doing a lot of hard driving? You wouldn't see the smoke because you have cats, so you might be clogging up your cats, I would get that checked out.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/13/04 11:47 PM
I like to go through the gears and usually end up around 65 or 70 routinely. Normal shifting, no racing, usually. I guess I'll have to make an appointment to have it checked out. Could be wrong but I don't think it did this before I got the optimized TB from Buckshot. Could that have anything to do with it?
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 12:07 AM
That was normal for my car (SVT) but im not sure about the SE. I ahve a 3 liter hybrid swap now and i get the smae thing.

I though all of the duratecs run rich....not just the svt.

Lupe
Posted By: Jason43 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 12:25 AM
I think part of it has to do with the way the Borla tips are shaped(rolled out as opposed to straight cut). Seems to happen alot with Borla owners.
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 02:37 AM
My Borla tips do the same thing.
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:

I though all of the duratecs run rich....not just the svt.

This is also true. But if it is running to rich then you can screw up your cats.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 03:56 AM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
I like to go through the gears and usually end up around 65 or 70 routinely. Normal shifting, no racing, usually. I guess I'll have to make an appointment to have it checked out. Could be wrong but I don't think it did this before I got the optimized TB from Buckshot. Could that have anything to do with it?

So do you guys think I'm OK or should I spend some money and have it checked out? If it is running rich, is it a big deal to have it adjusted? The last thing I need now is to have to worry about the cats getting screwed up.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 04:11 AM
Most cars with cats have black on the inside of the tailpipes. You probably have a normal condition. My stock SVT has always had black on the inside of the exhaust tips.

In the absense of any other problems, I would certainly not pursue it.
Posted By: mcfast Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Most cars with cats have black on the inside of the tailpipes. You probably have a normal condition. My stock SVT has always had black on the inside of the exhaust tips.

Me too.
Posted By: streetsleepr Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 01:45 PM
I wipe off the caps on my supertrapps twice a week.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/14/04 09:44 PM
Quote:

My stock SVT has always had black on the inside of the exhaust tips.

Word.
Posted By: 99SVT666 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/15/04 06:30 AM
The insides of my tail pipes are so clean you could eat off of them! To my knowledge this is a sign of a somewhat lean condition, but I'm not complaining. The car is mostly stock, drives perfectly (passed emissions) and from what I've heard running lean actually makes more power (with less gas). When I first bought the car I was suspicious of this since a lean condition is more dangerous to ones engine, but after a while I just figured this was another tick used by SVT to make more power. Turns out that I'm the only one...maybe I've got a ringer!
Posted By: Art Hazebrook_dup1 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/15/04 04:07 PM
When was the last time you checked your cars air filter?

When I got my tour, I noticed an excessive amount of soot on the stock tips. In performing the routine maintenance associated with a new vehicle, I popped the airbox and...it looked like a rat had built a nest in there (the worst I've ever seen for 11k on the clock...). A new K&N drop-in and no soot ever since!

Regards, Art
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/16/04 02:53 AM
Check my site. Air filter is fine.
Posted By: Cueball Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/17/04 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 99SVT666:
The insides of my tail pipes are so clean you could eat off of them! To my knowledge this is a sign of a somewhat lean condition, but I'm not complaining. The car is mostly stock, drives perfectly (passed emissions) and from what I've heard running lean actually makes more power (with less gas). When I first bought the car I was suspicious of this since a lean condition is more dangerous to ones engine, but after a while I just figured this was another tick used by SVT to make more power. Turns out that I'm the only one...maybe I've got a ringer!

After 100,000 miles, my stock tips are still spotless!
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/17/04 06:58 PM
Originally posted by CueballSVT:

After 100,000 miles, my stock tips are still spotless!

43,000 on Cobra's 2000 SVT, and no filthy pipes.
I'm interested to see if when he installs the Borla this will change, just because of how people in this thread are saying they're seeing black on their aftermarket pipes.
I'm not convinced it's related to the changover in pipes because they're catback systems.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/17/04 09:03 PM
I'm convinced its because of the shape of the Borla tip. I'm not saying it makes more carbon, but the shape of it allows more of it to build up on the outside of the tips, where people will actually take notice.
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/18/04 01:19 AM
I had no problem with this until i had my resonator cut out. Now soot not only builds up on and in the tail pipes but also creaps up on the rear valence.

Not to hijack the post. But do you guys think that's normal with the resonator cut out or do i have bigger problems?
Posted By: JB1 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/18/04 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
My stock SVT has always had black on the inside of the exhaust tips.

same here
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/18/04 06:13 PM
i have the Borla tips and they are black in a day or two. I just live with it.

To brighten up the thread a bit, I love the way the Borla sounds.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: carbon on my exhaust tips - 05/20/04 12:10 AM
it happens to my borlas as well....
© CEG Archives