Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 ram air - 02/29/04 05:09 PM
i was just wonderign if anyone tried making soem kinda ram air system to feed cooler air under the fender. i had made an intake using the factory box with k&N drop in and cut the bottom out at first. today i went and put in my old factory box but i trimmed that long extension that goes into the filter box so the codl air would flow better from the fender. i also cut soem of the plastic from the snorkel under the fender too. so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to use the foglight opening as a ram air with soem kind of tubing attached? or maybe some kinda scoop under the car. my main concern is water being sucked in. but the way i have it works good.
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: ram air - 02/29/04 05:31 PM
some people use the drivers side foglight hole, they take out the light put in a hose and run it to the box for added air.
Posted By: mstermike Re: ram air - 02/29/04 10:58 PM
Yeah, when i bought my car the foglight was missing and a tube was ran, didn't make a big difference though.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: ram air - 03/01/04 12:35 AM
Some people have relocated the battery to the trunk, and used the space where the battery used to be to run vent hoses between the airbox area and cool air intakes by the front bumper.
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: ram air - 03/01/04 09:08 PM
I have the biggest K&N and a pipe going down next to the trans. Since you have a MTX like me, you could do the same. I have the filter about 3" or so off the ground, I get plenty of cool air....when I am not stopped.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: ram air - 03/01/04 09:41 PM
arent you worried about water getting in there. my friend had a codl air intake that was low it sucked up water and next think you know he had a bent rod that eventualy got thrown.
Posted By: RyeLou Re: ram air - 03/01/04 10:38 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~rlewis311/IMG_0286.jpg

I've had no problems with water or snow and it's been through 3 Michigan winters. I'm actually selling it though to get the carbon fiber hood. See the OEM Carbon Fiber hood thread in the Group Buy sections if you're interested or want to see more pics.
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: ram air - 03/01/04 11:56 PM
It's been on the car since I got it, and this winter I have had no problems. You cans ee it if you stand about ten feet away from the car sticking out of the bottom.
Posted By: mr_froge_dup1 Re: ram air - 03/02/04 01:03 AM
Hi IL Sean, I really like the work you put into your car. Sorry about hijacking the thread...
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: ram air - 03/02/04 04:17 AM
Originally posted by mr_froge:
Hi IL Sean, I really like the work you put into your car. Sorry about hijacking the thread...

Hehe, well I didn't do it. I got the car off a guy who autox'ed. But I keep it up. Thx though!
Posted By: Qwk98svt Re: ram air - 03/02/04 08:35 PM
I though that the CDW-27 MAF's did not really agree with a ram air setup? I could be wrong but I thought some said they had trouble with their ram air setup and they were getting fault codes for the MAF? once again I could be wrong,I thought I read that on here... but I go to college for cars... and we do alot of talking... , but hey I would do a little search and find out. I'll search real quick too.

-Jeff-
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: ram air - 03/02/04 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Qwk98svt:
I though that the CDW-27 MAF's did not really agree with a ram air setup? I could be wrong but I thought some said they had trouble with their ram air setup and they were getting fault codes for the MAF? once again I could be wrong,I thought I read that on here... but I go to college for cars... and we do alot of talking... , but hey I would do a little search and find out. I'll search real quick too.

-Jeff-

You are correct. Ram air does not work so well on our cars. It gets irractic and dies at speed. Thats why its just better to locate the intake lower or as far away from heat.
Posted By: Qwk98svt Re: ram air - 03/02/04 08:54 PM
After a little search <- click it! I found the info!

-Jeff-
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: ram air - 03/03/04 04:50 AM
as i said in the first post i wasnt talking about direct raim air just feeding cooler air under the fender with a tube in the foglight so the factory snorkel would get some cooler air. i have a k&N in my factory boy and i modified the snorkel inside of the box so it has less tubing to travel though.
Posted By: SVT24 Re: ram air - 03/03/04 06:39 PM
I ran a scoop from the front bumper (right next to the fog lamp on the drivers side) and ran a hose to the area of my airbox on my SVT. It is not a "RAM AIR" but it does fill the area with cooler air while driving.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: ram air - 03/04/04 04:59 AM
do you think it made an actual improvement with it on? thats my main question
Posted By: SVT24 Re: ram air - 03/04/04 12:55 PM
Originally posted by cvkillacontour98:
do you think it made an actual improvement with it on? thats my main question

Not really sure, it does make the intake louder at higher speeds, so it means it is getting more air. I did notice right away that on longer trips that I got better gas milage over all (nothing to get too excited about). Even a true ram air system is not functional until over 50mph, and it is nothing you can feel.
© CEG Archives