Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Soccerman085 TORNADO? - 11/24/03 12:16 AM
I've been modifying my 96 SE and am thinking about putting one of those tornado fuel savers in my intake. Does anybody have any feedback about those things and how much if any they help the engine breath?
Posted By: deftoned989 Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 12:28 AM
You should have saved the money and bought a lot of krispy kremes. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 12:47 AM
They don't help at all. They actually hurt performance from the restriction they create. It is SNAKE OIL. Cover your tail and RUN!
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 12:52 AM
Hey, although those devices have been in existence for while, here's your chance to be the FIRST person to get any benefit from one.

In case I'm being too subtle, my point is that NO ONE has EVER reported an actual benefit from using one of these things, except perhaps the seller.

IF those things worked, you'd be able to do a search on this site and find how dozens of us were using them.

But since they DO NOT work, good luck finding a testimonial.
Posted By: bullion Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 12:55 AM
Ya, as they said.....those things are a rip off. I used to own a Taurus and everyone from the Taurus forum said they did nothing and were a waste of $70. Even if it did work.....why would anyone want to pay $70 for a little metal spiral insert that goes in their intake system? Save your money and put it towards something else
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 02:55 AM
I use on and it works great. I used it in the fuel line though. It helps to build fuel PSI thus giving me more gas quicker. I'm thinking of putting one in my exhaust to increase exhaust speed so the propulsion system will work better.
Posted By: scainerrt Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 08:48 AM
P.O.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: KTPdave Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 09:07 AM
I put one on BOTH cars. I was running about a 12.7 in the 1/4. It's amazing. I think I might try 2 of them to see if I could double my results.
Posted By: topgunz_1_dup1 Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 06:13 PM
no.
Posted By: NJE96SE Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 06:42 PM
I bought one and tried it a while ago. I thought I got about 2mpg increase with stock intake, but it was really hard to tell. There are a million factors that play into fuel economy (e.g. temperature, wind speed/direction, load, tire pressure, being able to accurately calculate fuel economy, lead-foot, etc.). The factors are never the same for two tanks. When I switched to the open element intake, I found I was losing power with it and not gaining any fuel economy. So from my experience, I would say do not buy one. If you don't believe me and you want to find out for yourself PM me and I will sell you mine cheap.

I guess I am the only dumbazz in CEG that was willing to try this.
Posted By: Soccerman085 Re: TORNADO? - 11/24/03 07:01 PM
Well Thanks for the offer, but there is one in the mail for me...I've been running without my stock intake for a while and i've been getting about 260 on a tank, but i have a led foot and love the roar of the engine with the cone on there so...naturally my gasmilage isn't what it could be. I used to get between 280-300 with stock air box I just don't know what happened there, i'll contribute most of it to constant hard acceleration, but also to a trip from home town columbia, sc to bristol, tn during which i drove no less than 90 all the way. I'll put it on there when i get it and see what happens, but from what i've been hearing it looks to be a bad idea.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: TORNADO? - 11/26/03 04:12 AM
Thats funny...a n00b thinks he is smarter than the rest of use sage CEGer's.
Posted By: projectSHO89_dup1 Re: TORNADO? - 11/28/03 04:59 AM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Thats funny...a n00b thinks he is smarter than the rest of use sage CEGer's.

And the rest of the automotive world that has a clue!

Steve

Posted By: low10s Re: TORNADO? - 11/28/03 05:34 AM
well when i put mine on, it ripped the tranny out, but that 2 seconds when i dumped the clutch wooowww!
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: TORNADO? - 11/28/03 02:15 PM
Supposedly it really helps with carborated vehicles, but does practically nothing for FI.

Last I checked, our car didn't have a carborator. It could be hiding from me though..
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: TORNADO? - 11/28/03 08:39 PM
Dude! The carburetor's in the glove box! You haven't seen it?
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: TORNADO? - 11/29/03 02:41 AM
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Dude! The carburetor's in the glove box! You haven't seen it?

no [censored]! i thought that was a fancy lookin tire pressure guage.

~Andrew
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: TORNADO? - 11/29/03 04:31 PM
I just leave my tire guage pressed in to the valve stem...

Looks a *censored* sight better than those "tire flys" and all I gotta do, now, is get out and look down to see how much air I have!!!

TRY IT!!

Ray
Posted By: stepmar2 Re: TORNADO? - 11/30/03 04:00 AM
This product is bogus when used in FI cars due to the fact that it is stationary ( non moving). ,,, Except when it unexpectedly turns sideways and clogs the air path.

The only way that anything like this will work is if it can move (rotate) in accordance to intake velocity. This requires alot of fabrication and way better metal (thicker). Also a super high performance bearing would have to be welded to a turbine constructed much like a turbo blade is made. The turbine will have to be 4" in diameter as well as the tubing that houses it. Even after all this, you might only gain 5HP TOPS! I know this due to the fact that I have constructed a model and tested it out on my own. The basic principal is that intake air is spiraled at speeds according to engine speed, which helps induce air into the intake manifold. As the throttle body closes the turbine continues to spin, but slows down as well (depending on TB positioning). The turbine continues to aid induction until the TB closes which allows someone to WOT then release and then POT or WOT and keep a much stronger and quicker rebound than normal.
There are 3 points to be made here;

1. Tornado is expensive,non-moving, and provides virtually no gains for F.I. vehicles.
2. Since carburated vehicles do experience gains, it is imperative that vortex airflow is superior to straight airflow in intakes.
3. To create a true vortex in F.I. vehicles, moving parts must be used. (Which, if fabricated improperly, can damage internal engine parts if they malfunction.)

WAKE UP!

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: TORNADO? - 11/30/03 07:14 AM
Very interesting write-up, and fabrication, however, How does this gain anything, even if the air IS spiraled, or vortexed? I was under the impression, from prior "tornado/snake oil" posts, that even properly spiralled air would lose any sense of help once it hit the UIM/internal parts, as these aren't designed to MAINTAIN that spiral shape of air..

I read something wrong????

Ray
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: TORNADO? - 11/30/03 09:09 AM
Nah, man that's the carburetor!! Please don't tell me you put that on your tires!! You better take it to the dealership now, only they can fix it. Oh yeah, there's another carburetor with your spare tire, it comes in handy sometimes.
Posted By: stepmar2 Re: TORNADO? - 11/30/03 08:00 PM
No, you didn't read anything wrong. The only thing this helps is airflow through the intake tube and across the TB. There is no way to control airflow after the TB in the UIM though. Smoothness and throttle response are the only gains I noticed (ex; rebound), these will never be had with a Tornado due to the fact that it is stationary.
If you want real HP gains get bigger rims and paint your grills. But make sure you enlarge you exhaust piping and install that carburetor as well!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: TORNADO? - 12/01/03 10:18 PM
Originally posted by stepmar2:
The only way that anything like this will work is if it can move (rotate) in accordance to intake velocity.

Oooo.... Tornado TURBO!!

© CEG Archives