Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
ok, i know the non svt LIM has smaller primary and secondary ports than the SVT LIM. but what about the outer diameter? are they the same? reason i ask, i plan on port matching my UIM and LIM to the gasket size, but it seems that if i bore out my LIM to the gasket size, there doesnt seem to enough 'meat' on the primary port walls where the injector sits. Seems like i would bore right through. Any help would be appreciated.
Got two side by side!! The outer diameter IS the same.The ports are not the same bore all the way through-they are tappered.HTH
thanks for the info!
Originally posted by Mondeo V6:
Got two side by side!! The outer diameter IS the same.The ports are not the same bore all the way through-they are tappered.HTH

Yes, but what SVT LIM are you comparing it too. The early LIM are just a stock LIM bored out ~2mm.

The late model SVT/returnless LIM is actually a different casting. It's around 4-7mm larger then either the early SVT or stock respectively as is.

LIM are classified by the inlet port diameter. They all taper to a smaller outlet port.

Something else you need to be aware of is the SVT's had the head inlet ports EH'd to open them up. (98/98.5 single - secondary & 99/00 dual - both ports)
Adding a larger LIM to an older SVT or especially any non-SVT will create a lip protruding into the airflow! Very bad for performance.

Also all head ports have a fair amount of machining flash that lips into the airflow too. A must to remove.
Comparing to one i just purchased!! Fitted with green injectors,the outer casting is exctly the same,the inner ports are the 34MM Type..........
I know this is an old topic, however since I am about to make this mod, I figure I'll ask for some help.

I dont' know demon, however from searching and reading his posts, he seems to be a resident expert...

I have a 1999 Mystique, with the returnless fuel system. I was about to put on the 98.5 SVT UIM and LIM, but now, I don't think the LIM is the way to go.

From what I gather from DemonSVT's quote, the LIM associated with the returnless fuel system is the largest bore, now where I am lost is the Head EH'ing. If the SVT Heads are opened up, and the 99+ Returnless Duratec has the larger bore- does this mean that there is a lip created by the stock duratec head????

I have the UIM and LIM from a 98.5. Do you see faults with my intention fo strap on the UIM??

Circa 2005

Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by Mondeo V6:

Yes, but what SVT LIM are you comparing it too. The early LIM are just a stock LIM bored out ~2mm.

The late model SVT/returnless LIM is actually a different casting. It's around 4-7mm larger then either the early SVT or stock respectively as is.

LIM are classified by the inlet port diameter. They all taper to a smaller outlet port.

Something else you need to be aware of is the SVT's had the head inlet ports EH'd to open them up. (98/98.5 single - secondary & 99/00 dual - both ports)
Adding a larger LIM to an older SVT or especially any non-SVT will create a lip protruding into the airflow! Very bad for performance.

Also all head ports have a fair amount of machining flash that lips into the airflow too. A must to remove.

Originally posted by NothernMystique:

I have the UIM and LIM from a 98.5. Do you see faults with my intention fo strap on the UIM??

You'll be fine but the 98.5 has the smaller bore lower IM if I recall. You'll just have to test fit them and visually examine the fit.

Otherwise, I don't see any faults with your Strap On plan.....
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
ok, i know the non svt LIM has smaller primary and secondary ports than the SVT LIM. but what about the outer diameter? are they the same? reason i ask, i plan on port matching my UIM and LIM to the gasket size, but it seems that if i bore out my LIM to the gasket size, there doesnt seem to enough 'meat' on the primary port walls where the injector sits. Seems like i would bore right through. Any help would be appreciated.

man, so much for that idea. I dont even remember posting this. I guess it has been like 3 years. I just ended up buying a 'factory mistake' return SVT LIM from SPmotorsports.
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by NothernMystique:

You'll be fine but the 98.5 has the smaller bore lower IM if I recall. You'll just have to test fit them and visually examine the fit.

Otherwise, I don't see any faults with your Strap On plan.....

HA! Nice burn with the strap on!

Does the LIM from the non SVT 1999 have smaller bore than the 98.5 SVT LIM?? I was under the impression that the 1999 model year 2.5 duratec has one size LIM, SVT=NON SVT.

Also, is there a larger bore upper intake manifold in the 1999-2000 SVT model year?

Maybe I should ask a more direct question, instead of confusing everyone. What is the best UPPER AND LOWER intake manifold upgrade for a 1999.5 non-SVT contour with a returnless fuel system?

Thanks for all your help guys,
Don't forget that the 2001+ Cougar LIM are the same as the late model SVT units
Hehehehe,

I thought you'd get a laugh outta that one.

The 98 and earlier SVT and normal 2.5L contours use the smaller bore LIM for 2.5L engines. In 1999+ SVTs they went to the 3.0 LIM casting with necessary changes to fit the 2.5L fuel rail system.
Exterior dimensions of all the parts are the same.
As far as 99+ regular contours I think they are all the small bore.
© CEG Archives