Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: contourdude SE vs SVT heads - 09/01/06 07:06 PM
I bought an se with a blown engine (threw a rod thru the oil pan) and it came with an svt block.... Should i just swap the heads off the se on to the SVT block, or should i buy SVT heads off here for 275?
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: SE vs SVT heads - 09/01/06 09:28 PM
Originally posted by contourdude:
I bought an se with a blown engine (threw a rod thru the oil pan) and it came with an svt block.... Should i just swap the heads off the se on to the SVT block, or should i buy SVT heads off here for 275?

I personally would go with a full SVT motor, less complications on the install. Dont forget you need to put in high octane gas from then on though.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: SE vs SVT heads - 09/03/06 02:13 PM
Sell the good block & buy a 3L.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: SE vs SVT heads - 09/03/06 03:39 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Sell the good block & buy a 3L.

+1, if I could do my car over again I would have never put another SVT motor in
Posted By: giddyup306 Re: SE vs SVT heads - 09/03/06 05:27 PM

If you need the 2.5 head gaskets I got a set of felpro. Cheap.
Posted By: 04marauder Re: SE vs SVT heads - 09/05/06 04:01 PM
Originally posted by CSVT#49:

if I could do my car over again I would have never put another SVT motor in

Maybe this is off topic but I'm very curious why you say that. There's some other people here that have dropped in 2.5's rather than 3.0's and I think they've been happy. I've also heard of a few people that have regretted going with a 3.0, though most seem very happy.

Not trying to start anything, just genuinely wondering why you seem to regret what you did. It seems like you have people on both sides of the fence. I have a good 2.5 that I've been thinking of using after I'm done with my 3.0.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: SE vs SVT heads - 09/05/06 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 04marauder:
Originally posted by CSVT#49:

if I could do my car over again I would have never put another SVT motor in

Maybe this is off topic but I'm very curious why you say that. There's some other people here that have dropped in 2.5's rather than 3.0's and I think they've been happy. I've also heard of a few people that have regretted going with a 3.0, though most seem very happy.

Not trying to start anything, just genuinely wondering why you seem to regret what you did. It seems like you have people on both sides of the fence. I have a good 2.5 that I've been thinking of using after I'm done with my 3.0.

Nothing wrong with an SVT 2.5, for sure. I think the idea is when you drop in a 3L, you get more HP & Tq for less money than getting hold of a rather limited availability SVT 2.5 engine.

I've seen the SVT 2.5 priced over $1700 for a used stocker, but you can get a low mileage 3L for under a grand pretty regularly. I think Bill J had some NEW ones available for uner $800 at one time...

Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: SE vs SVT heads - 09/07/06 03:47 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkâ?¢:

I personally would go with a full SVT motor, less complications on the install. Dont forget you need to put in high octane gas from then on though.

There's really no difference in the SE heads vs. SVT heads other than extrude honed ports. The thing is, the ports are so straight and easy to access, it's easy to port the SE heads out to SVT specs (or beyond). SVT heads are a waste unless they come with cams.

I vote for 3L though, no matter what way you build it (cheap-o hybrid, full 3L, or bastard-ized version anywhere inbetween). How could anyone be upset with an extra 20-30 HP and 20-30 foot pounds of torque minimum? The only people I've ever seen complain about the 3L swap are people that had no buisness doing their own engine work in the first place, 2.5 or 3.0, let alone attempting a swap of any sort.
© CEG Archives