Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Ross B. gettin my headers soon - 07/25/06 01:39 AM
Well i am like some others on here and i fix stuff and upgrade it when it breaks, or ill upgrade something when i have extra cash which is never! So anyway, my manifold has been cracked, so say 2 different mechanics from different shops, I got two quotes both right around 1300 dollars to buy ship and install. They are going to Order the MSDS headers. I am going to keep my stock exhaust for now, possibly upgradeing soon, I already had the resinator removed earlier. Am I going to have a problem with my car being too loud? Also I was reading some threads about teh y pipe. what exactly is optimizing your Y pipe? What can i do to optimise my stock pipe verse buying a new one? Do the headers come with a new y pipe when you get it from MSDSinc.com? Help for the Newbie is always apreciated.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/25/06 01:49 AM
Originally posted by bobo:
Do the headers come with a new y pipe when you get it from MSDSinc.com? Help for the Newbie is always apreciated.

If you chose to get one. Uncoated headers are about 220 shipped. Coating is another almost 100 I think... With the y pipe its like 660... Around there at least
Posted By: Tourige Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/25/06 02:13 AM
unless you paid for a y-pipe. you wont get one.

it wont be to loud, it will be loud. But probably bearable.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/25/06 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Tourige:
unless you paid for a y-pipe. you wont get one.

Thats what I meant
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/25/06 02:36 AM
If your paying 1300, you better be getting headers and a y-pipe. Call the shop and be sure...cause if your just gettng headers and the install for that....that is rediculous
Posted By: ovalracer98csvt Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/25/06 06:29 AM
My 3l with msds headers with no resonator, the car is not that loud but is VERY raspy and sounds horrible. I would at least throw in a aftermarket resonator.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/25/06 04:06 PM
I found that the y-pipe made the car louder the most. I had the bat y-pipe installed previously and when I installed headers I noticed only a very slight increase in sound level, but the increase in loudness when I first added the y-pipe was considerable. But anyway, the gurgles around idle sound SO good with the headers installed
Posted By: Ross B. Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/26/06 11:14 AM
So I will be getting the y pipe as well had teh headders put on here shortly. I was reading and saw that there is a 30 hp gain from these headers?????How realistic is that? I will also be putting on my cold air from CC that i bought 4 forevers ago, I just couldnt bring myself todo the install work and still have a crappy exhaust problem, I cant wait for these things to be put on.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/26/06 12:07 PM
I was reading and saw that there is a 30 hp gain from these headers?????How realistic is that?

Not very realistic at all... At least I didn't see any crazy numbers like that.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/26/06 12:09 PM
Originally posted by BatteryLight:
I was reading and saw that there is a 30 hp gain from these headers?????How realistic is that?

Not very realistic at all... At least I didn't see any crazy numbers like that.

its my understanding with a good tune you will see some good numbers, I have always hear about 15 hp not 30
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/26/06 01:58 PM
what exactly is optimizing your Y pipe? What can i do to optimise my stock pipe verse buying a new one?

Optimizing your y-pipe is simply having your y-pipe pulled off the car and grinding out the the intersection where all three tubes come together. Stock, this chamber is pinched pretty tight allowing minimal airflow. With a little grinding, this area is opened up drastically. I felt 3 hp down low AND up top in the rpm range.

Some might argue that this process is better than buying an aftermarket y-pipe.
Posted By: habcougar Re: gettin my headers soon - 07/27/06 01:27 PM
I installed a set of coated msds headers and y 2 weeks
ago and left the stock exhaust on till after holidays.
As far as sound it is hardly noticeable.Just a tad
throatier.The performance increased is the best part.
Even with the stock exhaust I noticed right away how
more responsive it is at low and mid range no metter how
much throttle and it doesn't die out after 6500 like it
used to.I'd say headers and y on their own are good for
10 hp and for sure the best bolt on I've done till now.
© CEG Archives