Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: stilov Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 02:58 AM
Ok I am trying to use my Xcal2 to do some datalogging on my contour.

Anyone have any instructions on how to set it up or have a link?

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 03:40 AM
You can use "sctforums.com" I believe it is.

basically, in a nutshell

• Install Livelink3
  • plug in your XCAL to your laptop via USB
  • XP will find two devices. point to your "sct\livelink" folder for both of the devices.
  • reboot
  • run livelink and click the icon on the far left of the icon bar at top (get strategy, etc)
  • pick your variables you want to log/view
  • click ok
  • right click on the gauges on the top, and assign a variable to each gauge.
  • start a datalog session.

enjoy.

I highly suggest going to the forums, and viewing the FLASH written how-to, and walk throughs for installation, device installation, and livelink operation BEFORE you try it.
  • Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 05:22 AM
    Yea, a few months ago I was trying to datalog w/out a laptop....it didn't want to work for me. I have yet to invest money into a laptop, but I figure sometime in the next year I'll get one for school, and load all my SCT stuff on it. Then I can do some major tuning...
    Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 01:55 PM
    You CANNOT datalog without a laptop. The Xcal 2 is not a stand alone data logger, just a passthrough device.
    Posted By: morbid Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 05:29 PM
    But it's marketted as being able to do stand alone datalogging. But when reading further into the features, it's listed as a future feature (like 60 secs or so of stand alone).
    Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 06:12 PM
    Yea, thats what I was led to believe. That the xcal2 could data log for about 90 seconds. I swear I read some posts on the flash forums about people doing it, but the amount of logging was limited (to 90 seconds)
    Posted By: stilov Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 06:25 PM
    I have a laptop. I "think" I got all the drvier's installed correctly and the update. NOw I just need to try it again. How do you "start" the datalogging process...do you have to program anything or should it just start?

When i pull up which values I want to log...nothing shows up and none of the buttons can be clicked.
    Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 06:26 PM
    Well maybe they have released an update that I dont know about. They always said they would, but I didnt pay much attention to it when the 'release date' came and went without much mention of it. I guess they may have finally gotten around to updating the thing to do standalone.

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 06:27 PM
    I just typed up my process and trials for a PM to Ray. I didnt save it, maybe he can post it all.
    Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 06:33 PM
    Originally posted by Kingpin:

Well, I havent fooled around with mine in quite a while. I remember reading on the SCT forums that some people were having trouble getting the datalogging set up, and that some found the solution to be in the order everything was connected. Maybe try hooking up everything differently? Here is what I followed and it worked for me:

1. Plug in Xcal (OBD2 end)
    2. Turn key to 'on'
    3. Run live link
    4. Plug Xcal into the computer
    5. Hit the graph button and choose PIPs to log
    6. Check box on left to graph
    7. Right click on the 'gauges' to set them
    8. Click 'file' then 'save config'
    9. Start car
    10. Click green button (on screen I believe) to begin datalogging
    11. Stop loggin session before shutting down the car
    12. Click bookmark to reference a section of graph
    13. 'Save as' to save file

Those are some notes I scribbled, so I apologize if they dont make sense. Once you are looking at everything, maybe it will. This 'order' worked for me.

I would also recommend checking the sct forums to make sure you have all the updates for livelink and the xcal.

Sorry I cant be of more help. I havent used mine in a few months now. I got real busy before I actually got the car tuned, so I havent been able to finish up the tuning yet. Ill need a job before that happens, lol.

I would also search the sct forums for possible answers. There are a few good threads about people having connection problems, and from what I remember most of them were solved so its likely someone has had your problem and fixed it.

HTH, even just a little.

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 07:54 PM
    Thanks for letting me be lazy!
    Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Hey XCal2 guys!!! - 07/24/06 11:01 PM
    My order:

1. power laptop
    2. start car
    3. plug in Xcal2
    4. plug in usb cable
    5. start livelink
    Should see the passthrough writing on xcal2 screen
    6 select pids to monitor
    7. display on gauges.

I think the key for me was to have the xcal2 plugged in to the obd2 port first, and then hook it up to the pc before starting livelink. Who knows how it works for everyone else.
    © CEG Archives