Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/08/06 01:30 PM
Hey guys, got a question i feel I should know the answer to but don't... but first some backstory.
I recently purchased a 95 Mystique with the intention of my dad driving it. The car didn't run but was in pretty nice shape and only cost $500. It's been in at the ford dealer where i work and it now runs, but the tech is thinking it has either a burnt valve or a sticking valve in the rear head. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck here. I figure to r&r the rear head and redo the timing and everything has got to be 10 hours labor or so (I haven't looked it up, just a guess) not to mention the cost of getting whatever work done to the head I'll need.

Now, the question. I saw in the classifieds a 99 SVT block and heads for sale in Canada with about 64K miles. I know the 95's are OBD1, but if I use all the standard electronics would the 99 engine run on OBD1 without any real issues? One thing I'm concerned about with this idea is the injectors and if the 19# injectors would/could work from the stock computer or if chips or anything are available for the OBD1 ecu.

My other two options I'm considering are just some SVT heads or the one I least want to go with is just having the stock head redone. Anyway, thoughts, knowledge and even opinions on the subject would be appreciated. I'll check back in about a week when I get back to civilization.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/09/06 06:37 PM
SVT block and heads? You are basically describing a long block, right? No problem, bolt on all the 95 parts, LIM and UIM. There is absolutely no mechanical reason at all to run 19# injectors.

Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/09/06 08:33 PM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
SVT block and heads? You are basically describing a long block, right? No problem, bolt on all the 95 parts, LIM and UIM. There is absolutely no mechanical reason at all to run 19# injectors.

It obviously would work... But I think about this and I personally think you should go 3L. I mean, yeah how cool would that be? a 95 stique with an SVT motor... But that means you have to run high octane gas, with is $$$ Or you could go with a 3L for about the same price, with the same amount of miles, get a better motor that puts out more power, gets better gas mileage, and will run on regular gas if properly tuned.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/09/06 09:59 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

It obviously would work... But I think about this and I personally think you should go 3L. I mean, yeah how cool would that be? a 95 stique with an SVT motor... But that means you have to run high octane gas, with is $$$ Or you could go with a 3L for about the same price, with the same amount of miles, get a better motor that puts out more power, gets better gas mileage, and will run on regular gas if properly tuned.

why would a SVT engine in a 95 need premium fuel? To make it work you would have to use all of the sensors, etc from the 95 ... that includes the pcm, which is already tuned for regular not premium
Posted By: elraido Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/09/06 10:29 PM
Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:

why would a SVT engine in a 95 need premium fuel? To make it work you would have to use all of the sensors, etc from the 95 ... that includes the pcm, which is already tuned for regular not premium

Cause if it is a long block it included the lower compression pistions...and you really would like high octane gas for that....or you will get real nice knock.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/09/06 10:31 PM
Originally posted by elraido:
Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:

Cause if it is a long block it included the lower compression pistions...and you really would like high octane gas for that....or you will get real nice knock.

exactly, Premium gas required doesnt just mean that the computer is tuned for it. Its both software and hardware.
Posted By: elraido Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/09/06 10:35 PM
I keep thinking of putting a 3.0L in my car when the engine desides to die, but there are so many little different "tweeking" things that need to go on, I am not sure it would be cost effective as getting a new car.
Posted By: Tourige Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/10/06 12:48 AM
i hope you guys realize that 95's are OBDI and 96+ are OBD II
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/10/06 01:10 AM

I think you meant higher compression.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/10/06 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Tourige:
i hope you guys realize that 95's are OBDI and 96+ are OBD II

Yes, I realize that. So what?
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/10/06 01:24 AM

I think you meant higher compression.

Yea I second that. Higher compression requires higher octane fuel.
Posted By: elraido Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/10/06 02:37 AM
Doh, I meant that. And 95's being I versus II is one of those tricky tinkering things I was talking about.
Posted By: Tourige Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/10/06 02:48 AM
Doh, I meant that. And 95's being I versus II is one of those tricky tinkering things I was talking about.

+1

Your going to have fun unless you swap all the wiring and the ECU.

IIRC your going to need to replace EVERYTHING to get it to work with PATS.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/11/06 12:20 PM
You'll be fine putting it in. The slightly higher compression and running 93 isn't going to effect anything. It just won't run as quick as an SVT since the timing will be slightly retarded from running 87. Just swap the manifolds and the vacuum seconaries to the engine.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/11/06 02:07 PM
Save yourself a lot of greif and fix the car up as cheaply as possible and then sell it for a nice profit, which should be possible with it only costing you $500. Take the money you make and put it towards another cheap 96+ Contour and make THAT the basis for your project. Trust me, it will be a lot less of a hassel than trying to drop a 3L into a 95
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/11/06 03:25 PM
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Trust me, it will be a lot less of a hassel than trying to drop a 3L into a 95

Actually easier in a 96 because you won't be throwing codes for OBD 2 all day.

'95 Mystique
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/11/06 03:28 PM
Originally posted by todras:
You'll be fine putting it in. The slightly higher compression and running 93 isn't going to effect anything. It just won't run as quick as an SVT since the timing will be slightly retarded from running 87. Just swap the manifolds and the vacuum seconaries to the engine.

+1

I had a 99 engine in my 95. It just needed the vacuum assembly for the secondaries. It still would be cheaper to do the 3L than use an SVT block, but the whole computer setup would be the biggest problem.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/11/06 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Wien_Sean:

+1

I had a 99 engine in my 95. It just needed the vacuum assembly for the secondaries. It still would be cheaper to do the 3L than use an SVT block, but the whole computer setup would be the biggest problem.

Stock computer works just fine.
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/11/06 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Wien_Sean:

+1

Stock computer works just fine.

Right, nevermind I posted. I was thinking of something else.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/11/06 07:07 PM
I put a '98 (non-SVT) engine in mine. There were no issues with the OBD at all.
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/16/06 12:16 PM
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. I have to wait till Monday and see where things are at so I'll get back when I know more. As I said this was just a feasability study so to speak, checking my options.
Posted By: mosh Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/17/06 09:01 PM
I just finished exactly this project in April. I'm very happy with the results. A few things to have very clear though:
You must use your 95 engine's wiring harness due to it being OBD 1 and having very different pin outs in some cases. This will allow you to plug the new motor in without mods.
The sensor connectors on your 95 wiring will not match some of the SVT sensors....either use the 95 sensors or splice on the SVT's connectors.
MOST IMPORTANT:
The 95 and only the 95 uses VACUUM to operate the secondaries. There is no function to operate an IRCC on your computer. You must either install your 95 LIM in place of the SVT LIM (bad for perf.)or be willing to modify the SVT LIM to use vacuum, which I did by pulling the rear bank shaft from my 95 LIM and machining it to take the bigger plates...THIS WAS THE ONLY COMPLEXITY I encountered. Good LUck

Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/18/06 01:57 AM
Well, I'm being a bit optimistic at this point and thinking I may not need to look too far into this option after all. The tech has pinpointed the cylinder that was backfiring and it has good compression and such. Next step is to use a scope to look inside the chamber and see what we can see. I'm hoping that either a good de-carbon soak or something of that nature will get things running well (and quietly) so I can put this thing on the street. Thanks for all the info and input guys.
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: SVT engine in a 95?? - 07/18/06 08:48 PM

Actually easier in a 96 because you won't be throwing codes for OBD 2 all day.

'95 Mystique

Yo, somebody jacked yo' batt'ry!!!
© CEG Archives