Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: seabass_00svt K&N filtration issues??? - 06/29/06 07:57 PM
Hello,

I know Im relatively new, but I read an article on BITOG (an online oil forum) recently that K&Ns might not filter as well as either OEM paper filters or other newer technology filters.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000565

Its apparently a hot discussion over there...and alot of them are switching to the AEM DryFlow filters on their K&N intakes...considering that the BITOG guys are really picky about every facet of their cars and oil....it's still really hard to imagine that the for all its rep the K&N filter is bad (if it really is...which is not scientifically proven)

I was just wondering what you guys think of this as far as it concerns our cars???

Hans
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 06/29/06 08:04 PM
So far, everyone who has done oil analysis has had good results as far as what we interpret to be air filtration performance indicators.

Not a large group, but certainly not equal to the predictions of the doomsayers over on BITOG.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 06/30/06 01:26 AM
K&Ns don't filter as well as other filters but still filter more than enough to protect your engine (seriously, you'll never know the difference between it and aem or stock) and give a little more power.
Posted By: captainoblivious Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 06/30/06 03:52 AM
Originally posted by seabass_00svt:
...considering that the BITOG guys are really picky about every facet of their cars and oil....

They can be really picky idiots over there.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 06/30/06 01:55 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious:
...considering that the BITOG guys are really picky about every facet of their cars and oil....

They can be really picky idiots over there.

I really think it depends on driving conditions. If I'm on a LOT of dusty roads, paper filters would be my media of choice - simply to avoid having to clean an oil charged filter. As it happens, most driving is on paved roadways, so running an oil charged filter is fine in the vast majority of cases.

Lesson: Use paper filters if you drive a truck on the ranch just because it filters a little better.
Posted By: seabass_00svt K&N filtration issues??? - 06/30/06 02:32 PM
The only thing I really agree with the BITOG guys about is that FRAM oil filters are complete crap and Mobil1 is great oil...I take everything else they say with a grain of salt and rely more on my own experiences with products...i just noticed 5 threads in a row about the K&N and how it will "kill your motor"...and how the AEM was so much better...

Hans
Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 06/30/06 03:53 PM
The only thing I really agree with the BITOG guys about is that FRAM oil filters are complete crap and Mobil1 is great oil...I take everything else they say with a grain of salt and rely more on my own experiences with products...i just noticed 5 threads in a row about the K&N and how it will "kill your motor"...and how the AEM was so much better...

Hans

whats the differenct between fram & knn? they look identical as do the recharge kits. actually, i think i used a knn kit to recharge my fram filter.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 06/30/06 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Guitarman19853:

Hans

whats the differenct between fram & knn? they look identical as do the recharge kits. actually, i think i used a knn kit to recharge my fram filter.

RTFP.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 06/30/06 04:24 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:

Hans

RTFP.

Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 07/01/06 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Pre98:
Originally posted by RogerB:

Hans

RTFP.

it says nothing about fram. still waiting for an explanation
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 07/01/06 04:22 PM
Eh, have had K&N on all of my cars with no issues.
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: K&N filtration issues??? - 07/01/06 09:58 PM
people on sites like that run out of stuff to talk about so they over analyze. K&N have sold millions of filters and we would have heard with proof by now if there where issues. Using a K&N doesn't even void new car warranties, and you know they would try to void anything if they could. I've used them for years w/o issues. I take things I read on there witha grain salt, some info very good other stuff way of the deep end.
© CEG Archives