Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TRicker K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 12:01 AM
hi guys. i have a question. i have a K&N filter with a MAF adaptor (straight thru design style, hooks to the stock snorkel) and it has a heat shield i built on it. when im driving in normal weather for this time of year (60-90 degrees F.) it runs about like it should. however, when it gets colder out and the air gets more dense (30-50 degrees F.) the car has a SIGNIFICANT amount of power gain. i realize that dense air always makes em run better etc but i'm talking about a massive amount of low end gain. im wondering if my K&N setup just isnt pulling enough air? the intake makes a nice sucking sound i have cleaned it a couple times, the mesh is a little messed up in places but it always comes out clean. has anybody else had a problem with this setup? it almost seems that once it gets hot outside it just cant pull sufficient air through the filter. or maybe i have overoiled it? anybody got anything? its not a big deal just something i was thinking about
Posted By: Tourige Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 12:08 AM
Which Filter is it.

Sounds like normal heat soak
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 12:12 AM
Relax there buddy... a loss of low-end torque is normal at hotter temperatures. Matter of fact, power loss is even felt in the secondaries. The car feels like it falls flat on its face, period. I live in Missouri, and it seems like my car loses 7 whp every summer.

My only advice..."Get used to it."
Posted By: TRicker Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 12:20 AM
ah well. thanks for the info i guess im still going to replace it since i dont have to pay for K&N stuff
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 12:21 AM
As long as you have the K&N Ru-3530, there's nothing for you to replace. You should be good to go.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 12:25 AM
Just a thought: How bad are the leaks around your heatshield?
Posted By: TRicker Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 12:30 AM
its not a fully enclosed heat shield, i am going to make one up out of some aluminum stock i have though. it is pulling air from the engine compartment right now.

oh and the reason i want to replace the filter is because the mesh is all falling off on parts of it, its pretty old. plus i dont pay for K&N stuff.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 02:31 AM
Originally posted by TRicker:
plus i dont pay for K&N stuff.

That's twice you said that. Maybe you could work something out for those on CEG who would like a K&N filter.
Posted By: TRicker Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 02:41 AM
i'll see what i can do. ive gota make sure they dont question why i want such a large filter (our sponsorship isnt for cars) if they dont ask i'll try to get a dozen or two, and you guys pay shipping. no promises yet though
Posted By: Tourige Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 02:54 PM
i'll see what i can do. ive gota make sure they dont question why i want such a large filter (our sponsorship isnt for cars) if they dont ask i'll try to get a dozen or two, and you guys pay shipping. no promises yet though

dibs
Posted By: SVT3391 Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/29/06 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

dibs

x2
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: K&N insufficient??? - 06/30/06 02:00 PM
Originally posted by SVT3391:
Originally posted by Tourige:

dibs

x2

x3, but I have two Contiques...

What the hell.
Posted By: m4gician Re: K&N insufficient??? - 07/01/06 04:58 AM
Quote:

Originally posted by TRicker: i'll see what i can do. ive gota make sure they dont question why i want such a large filter (our sponsorship isnt for cars) if they dont ask i'll try to get a dozen or two, and you guys pay shipping. no promises yet though

dibs as well... want my K&N for cheap el Cheapo,
Posted By: Desiato Re: K&N insufficient??? - 07/01/06 06:43 AM
dibs x5
Posted By: MLuko Re: K&N insufficient??? - 07/01/06 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Desiato:
dibs x5

dibs x6
Posted By: DanMyers Re: K&N insufficient??? - 07/01/06 05:14 PM
dibs X7
Posted By: bullion Re: K&N insufficient??? - 07/01/06 09:10 PM
I'm in too! I do have one other thing for you to do that may assist with your problem. If you over oiled the filter then chances are you have some oil residue throughout the air passage. Buy some eletronic cleaner and spray it on your MAF meter since you may have some oil on it that needs to be cleaned off. You can pick up a can at NAPA or any other auto store. Keep me posted as far as the k & n filters go...
© CEG Archives