Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
so is this going to give me a noticible increase in power? or am i wasting my time? i plan on gutting the precats while on the car, and optimizing the y pipe while its off. soon enough i will get headers and a y pipe from MSDS but i am not going to put them on until i put a rebuilt engine in (ease of installation) thanks for any input
Gutting the pre-cats usually doesn't help all that much. It does help a great deal if they are clogged in the first place. Expect little gains. You will benefit from opt. your y-pipe though. If you honestly can't wait until your rebuild (look into a 3L) then i spose it may be worth it.
doesn't an optimized ypipe create like 5-11 h.p? Not bad for the price of a shop to do it.
I only noticed a sound gain from gutting the precats... but it was a huge difference in sound at idle in my opinion.
Originally posted by ConcepTrs913:
I only noticed a sound gain from gutting the precats... but it was a huge difference in sound at idle in my opinion.

Same here. I pleased with the sound increase, made it worth the time spent IMO.
Originally posted by elraido:
doesn't an optimized ypipe create like 5-11 h.p? Not bad for the price of a shop to do it.

3-5 maybe....it really opens up the top end, in my experience the car breathes noticeably easier.
Originally posted by Pole120:

3-5 maybe....it really opens up the top end, in my experience the car breathes noticeably easier.

yea, about 5 at most. But what do you expect for a mod that only costs $20-$40 for a shop to do.
I didn't know you could gut the cats while still on the car. is there a how to on this?
Originally posted by Pole120:

I noticed that my optimized y-pipe provided noticable torque down low, definately a difference when driven back to back with a stock V6 mtx
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
I didn't know you could gut the cats while still on the car. is there a how to on this?

Sticky - DM Bolt-on basics. Click on "Serious Modifications" link in first post.
thanks pete
While the optimized y pipe by itself only shows several ponies, it will help other mods later demonstrate good gains.
© CEG Archives