Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: my98SVTturbo BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 01:00 AM
where could i get a borla cat back system for my SVTC at? also:
how much?
how does it sound?
and how much horsepower gains could i expect?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 02:49 AM
I understand that Borla no longer sell exhaust systems for the Contour. Not enough sales, even when they were newer.

It is generally felt that you have better options. The Borla doesn't provide much if any gains over the stock SVT exhaust.

How much power you gain will be mostly dependant on what mods you have made to the engine.

You might try telling us what mods you have made along with what year it is and asking for suggestions from those that have tried various systems.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 03:18 AM
is ur car turbo?
Posted By: Matty K Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 03:31 AM
Originally posted by my98SVTturbo:
how much?
how does it sound?

1) New, if anyone still has the system, it's usually over a thousand dollars. If you absolutely want Borla, I'd recommend sitting on your thumb until you see a system in the classifieds; that's what I did.

2) A good deal like stock. Fairly quiet at low RPMs, but it screams when you stomp on it. You will NOT sound like a racecar; if you want that, go for one of the TruBendz systems. The Borla deepens the stock sound; it adds a bit of a snarl, as opposed to the flat drone of, say, stock exhaust with no resonator. I was looking for a system that purrs around town, and roars when you get on it; I found that.

3) Butt dyno says some, not a ton. I think most people would agree that freeing up your exhaust BEFORE the cat yeilds more power than after the cat. Still, you do notice a bit of a difference.

4) The unasked question: Quality. Borla lays the smack down in this department. The walls of the exhaust are thick, high quality steel; the clamps are exceedingly well-designed, and everything fits like a glove, even when it's being installed on its second car. There's been a good deal of happy TruBendz customers, and a fair amount of people whose exhaust didn't fit correctly. Not bashing TruBendz, I love their Flowmaster systems, but something to consider.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Matty K:
how much?
how does it sound?

1) New, if anyone still has the system, it's usually over a thousand dollars. If you absolutely want Borla, I'd recommend sitting on your thumb until you see a system in the classifieds; that's what I did.

2) A good deal like stock. Fairly quiet at low RPMs, but it screams when you stomp on it. You will NOT sound like a racecar; if you want that, go for one of the TruBendz systems. The Borla deepens the stock sound; it adds a bit of a snarl, as opposed to the flat drone of, say, stock exhaust with no resonator. I was looking for a system that purrs around town, and roars when you get on it; I found that.

3) Butt dyno says some, not a ton. I think most people would agree that freeing up your exhaust BEFORE the cat yeilds more power than after the cat. Still, you do notice a bit of a difference.

4) The unasked question: Quality. Borla lays the smack down in this department. The walls of the exhaust are thick, high quality steel; the clamps are exceedingly well-designed, and everything fits like a glove, even when it's being installed on its second car. There's been a good deal of happy TruBendz customers, and a fair amount of people whose exhaust didn't fit correctly. Not bashing TruBendz, I love their Flowmaster systems, but something to consider.

Thoussands, ha. I have yet to see a borla exhaust system listed for thousands.

Try checking ebay as they come up from time to time, but as mentioned before, they are discontinued.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 05:51 AM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
how much?
how does it sound?

Try checking ebay as they come up from time to time, but as mentioned before, they are discontinued.

They retailed at most places for $850 when they were still offered. What he was getting at, I'm betting, is if someone still manages to have a Borla cat-back system in stock they will want a pretty penny for it since it's discontinued, probably around $1k.

Oh and yes there are exhaust systems for over $1k, some systems built for the Corvettes and Vipers are that much. Look around.
Posted By: Matty K Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 07:42 AM
I have seen them for a thousand on a few jank sites... most are mid-700's right now. If your car IS turbo, though, TruBendz all the way; as straight and uninterrupted as possible. Do they make a 3" version?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 04:16 PM
Do they make a 3" version?

Yes.

Mark
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 04:38 PM
Borla is only good for the 2.5L. The piping is too small for any FI or 3L.

And anyone who pays $1000 for a contour exhaust (especially a 2.25" one) is a 'tard, plain and simple.

Originally posted by CSVT#49:
is if someone still manages to have a Borla cat-back system in stock they will want a pretty penny for it since it's discontinued, probably around $1k.

Since when is a discontinued contour exhaust a collectors item that people are beating down doors for? Please.
Posted By: m!key Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 04:42 PM
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 06:31 PM
Originally posted by CSVT#49:
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
how much?
how does it sound?

They retailed at most places for $850 when they were still offered. What he was getting at, I'm betting, is if someone still manages to have a Borla cat-back system in stock they will want a pretty penny for it since it's discontinued, probably around $1k.

Oh and yes there are exhaust systems for over $1k, some systems built for the Corvettes and Vipers are that much. Look around.

I'm talking about the contour...not vettes or vipers
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/11/06 06:41 PM
Yeah Borla was way overpriced

When I got my Brullen Exhaust (2.5 inch mandrel bent S.S) it was $540 in the GB. It did need to go to the exhaust shop as it had a few fitment issues, but its been great since then.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Bridge:
Yeah Borla was way overpriced

When I got my Brullen Exhaust (2.5 inch mandrel bent S.S) it was $540 in the GB. It did need to go to the exhaust shop as it had a few fitment issues, but its been great since then.

Why would you buy Borla, which uses the same ID piping as the stock SVT? You want Borla sound? Buy some of their restrictive mufflers and weld them to your stock piping, and instant Borla!

Mark
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 11:51 AM
heres what im planing on doing...getinng custom 3" piping from the converter back to the mufflers...then im getting universal Borla mufflers with Borla 4" tips
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 12:39 PM
heres what im planing on doing...getinng custom 3" piping from the converter back to the mufflers...then im getting universal Borla mufflers with Borla 4" tips

3", why? You still didn't answer if you have a turbo or not?

Only reason to go with 3", otherwise don't bother.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 02:48 PM
Bigger is always better...... Right?

His name says turbo, but his sig says "mods coming soon."

I guess he doesn't want to give us any details.

Mark
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 03:06 PM
i dont have a turbo at the moment but am planing on buying the arozona tuniing one as soon as i can scrape up $6,000....and right now my 98SVTC is stock...i bought it like 3 days ago...
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 03:09 PM
i dont have a turbo at the moment but am planing on buying the arozona tuniing one as soon as i can scrape up $6,000....and right now my 98SVTC is stock...i bought it like 3 days ago...

yeah they don't sell that kit anymore, but I believe that in the future they will offer a smaller kit
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 03:12 PM

So, what your saying is basically, never.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 03:14 PM

Just take your time with the modding. Don't rush just because you want it done. Most important thing to do is just READ alot on here. Check out other members mods to get ideas and read alot of the FAQs.

Good luck.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 03:15 PM
Originally posted by my03TurboFerrariEnzo:

So, what your saying is basically, never.

HAHAH Love the name change.
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 03:57 PM
i am planing to have everything done by the end of next year including some sort of turbo....
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 07:53 PM
get a 3.0 before you even get a turbo. i mean if you got the $ to do it, why not get the best then right? the new turbo kit IIRC is goin to be in the 3 grand price range. you save up 6 g's you could get a 3 liter for what 3 grand with tranny and lsd. there is your 6 grand. now i want 6 grand. that sounds like a good plan to me. just my 2 cents.
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 09:14 PM
i wanna keep my original SVT motor
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 09:27 PM
i wanna keep my original SVT motor

Why? For numbers matching?
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 09:33 PM
yes but alos i just think the 2.5 is a really good engine...plus with just a lil bit of tuning you can have a rocket...
Posted By: Tourige Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 09:46 PM
yes but alos i just think the 2.5 is a really good engine...plus with just a lil bit of tuning you can have a rocket...

yea, and with a 3L more of a rocket...
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/12/06 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

yea, and with a 3L more of a rocket...

Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 12:46 AM

Once you go from a 2.5L to the 3L you will wondered how you ever got along with the 2.5L. When I get my new SVT that 2.5L is not staying in there for long.

Aaron
Posted By: Tourige Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 03:02 AM
Originally posted by SVT SNOB:

Once you go from a 2.5L to the 3L you will wondered how you ever got along with the 2.5L. When I get my new SVT that 2.5L is not staying in there for long.

Aaron

+1 not to mention the 01+ escape motors can handle boosting relativly easily.
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 11:50 AM
i dont get the diffenrence both engines stock are rated at 200 horsepower....why put a heavyer engine in the car when youy can bore out the 2.5??
Posted By: GreaseyMonkey Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 12:09 PM
i guess since no one else has posted up on here with a sound of Borla, i'll do it.

this is actually Borla with a opt'd y-pipe.

haha, forgot link:

exhaust
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 12:59 PM
i dont get the diffenrence both engines stock are rated at 200 horsepower....why put a heavyer engine in the car when youy can bore out the 2.5??

Ummmm, good luck with that! You obviously have done ZERO research on the subject, so I suggest you just read until you can't read anymore. The 3L isn't "bigger" than the 2.5L. The difference is..... get this..... in the bore!! Both engines are rated at the same HP, but combine that same 200HP 3L with all of your SVT parts, and you come out ahead of that 200HP. Oh yeah, that extra 40 extra foot pounds of torque is nice too!

Mark
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 01:02 PM

You have much to learn.

Who said they are heavier? They might be rated for the same HP, but join that together with the SVT goodies (UIM, LIM, cams, TB, etc.) and it will produces much more than that.

Again, don't jump to conclusions about modding this car. It will not help things to go smooth.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 03:20 PM
Good post Tony... But 3 minutes late!

Mark
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Good post Tony... But 3 minutes late!

Mark

Hey, I was typing, you just beat me to finishing it.
Posted By: Matty K Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 04:05 PM
Oh, other BORLA advantage (Star Wars Guy: "Stay on topic! STAY ON TOPIC!"): it doesn't drone. I know this is a problem with a few of the exhausts, and Lord knows my stock exhaust with a removed resonator droned more than my freshmen year Bio professor.
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 04:06 PM
alright then
Posted By: getsum111 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/13/06 04:10 PM
and Lord knows my stock exhaust with a removed resonator droned more than my freshmen year Bio professor.

LOL, I love this quote!
Posted By: Bulldog Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/14/06 05:57 AM
Please, name some good exhaust that are available in europe.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 06/14/06 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Please, name some good exhaust that are available in europe.

you might get more info if you post on a mondeo site, most of our exhausts are from the u.s.
Posted By: Matty K Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 08/21/06 05:43 AM
Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I remembered there being some debate here about the effectiveness of the Borla exhaust on the SVT. While trolling through CTA Motorsports' site, I found this graph:

If I read the description correctly, this was Borla vs. stock, with the addition of a KKM. Hope this helps!
Posted By: BrandonSVT99 Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 08/21/06 08:32 PM
Well from the graph right there it looks like the borla system does add HP!
Posted By: Matty K Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 08/21/06 08:50 PM
The graph's not showing up... odd.....

You can open the link for it, but here's the info:
Run 3- Baseline Run
Run 4- Borla Catback Exhaust
Run 5- Borla Catback Exhaust

Results:
Run 3- Max Power: 162.3
Max Torque: 140.1
Run 4- Max Power: 171.8
Max Torque: 152
Run 5- Max Power: 170.6
Max Torque: 148.2
Posted By: Harrry Re: BORLA 4 SVT!!!!!! - 08/21/06 10:40 PM
sooo just replace the stock mufflers with borla mufflers and you are all set.
© CEG Archives