Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 just wondering - 04/05/06 12:44 AM
i was just wondering what would flow better? removing the main cat and running a quieter muffler. or keeping the cat and getting a magnaflow.plus keeping the resonator( glasspack )i have on either way.i have msds headers so the main cat is the only one left at the momen.
Posted By: Tourige Re: just wondering - 04/05/06 01:40 AM
stock cat is good up to 220 wheel Hp

You'll want the resonater.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/05/06 02:14 AM
i dont have the stock cat. i have some universal cat installed from a muffler shop. i would rather run no cat plus keep it pretty quiet if i can. im thinking of going with dynomax super turbo again.
Posted By: Tourige Re: just wondering - 04/05/06 02:32 AM
i know some people went with a test pipe but they didnt like the rasp that came with it and threw on a Hi-flow cat.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/05/06 02:38 AM
from my experience. rasp seems to only be caused when using a rear muffler. all i have now is the 28 inch long thrush glass pack( has a preforated core and good quality) after the cat and i get no rasp at all evn when its cold. i had tons of rasp when i ran a ultra flow at the rear though.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: just wondering - 04/05/06 01:26 PM
Originally posted by cvkillacontour98:
... thinking of going with dynomax super turbo ...

<== (* shudders *)

That was the first muffler I ever bought for my car. Sounded the same as the stocker, cost as much as a Magnaflow res and did almost nothing for performance.

After taking a look at the guts of the unit on-line, it was the same design as the stock Ford muffler. You can do better for the money.
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: just wondering - 04/05/06 02:54 PM
im thinking of going with dynomax super turbo again.

gotta be magnaflow
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/05/06 08:25 PM
will the magnaflow lower the db while running no cats
Posted By: Pre98 Re: just wondering - 04/06/06 05:04 AM
A muffler in the place of the primary cat would kill almost all the sound right at the engine, and hardly any would make it to the tips unless you're at WOT. Unless stock-quiet is what you want until you rip on it?

My car is running with stock manifolds->stock primary cat->resonator->two resonators at the tips.

It is currently loud enough to make me nervous pacing next to a police car. Removing a main cat would be a definate noise citation, but so will my headers. No doubt headers will sound better than no cat converter.. so I frankly don't care

Though, headers+cat delete, back to a resonator is just asking for ear-burning loud. jmo.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/06/06 11:56 AM
once you put the header in the sound level will go up. i idnt notice the sound level right away cause my main cat was clogged when i installed my headers. but once the main cat was replaced than i noticed how different it sounded. it was a bit louder with a deeper stronger tone. and that was with the dynomax super turbo on. but it wasnt ammoying liek it is now with just a glass pack after the cat. atleast with the super turbo muffler it was pretty quiet while i was at a steady speed. the dynomax ultra flow was a loud muffler since its a strait through design but was quiet enough to not notice at stedy speeds.
Posted By: Tourige Re: just wondering - 04/06/06 05:08 PM
Headers add about 30-40% noise increase. If your planning on running headers and dont want the car to sound like crap you NEED a Cat, a main Muffler or resonater, and twin Mufflers/resonaters out by the tips.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/06/06 07:42 PM
mufflers in the rear are what sound terrible from my experience. thats where all the rasp comes from. as soon as i pulled my rear muffler off and put one right after the cat the rasp was gone. but i defintely want to get rid of the cat. i just dont want it to clog up again.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: just wondering - 04/06/06 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Headers add about 30-40% noise increase.

No way. Maybe 15-20%
Posted By: Stazi Re: just wondering - 04/06/06 09:01 PM
mufflers in the rear are what sound terrible from my experience. thats where all the rasp comes from. as soon as i pulled my rear muffler off and put one right after the cat the rasp was gone. but i defintely want to get rid of the cat. i just dont want it to clog up again.

You're clueless.

The rear mufflers do NOT create rasp - total BS.

THe reason you got rid of it was by adding a muffler to the resonator position - oure and simple, whether you want to believe it or not. Get rid of the main cat and it'll sound raspier again.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/06/06 10:20 PM
well i believe it does that why im not going to put any mufflers in the rear. every car that ive ever heard that had rasp had the mufflers in the rear, especialy one with a strait through design. but that is a totaly different topic than what i start6ed the post on.
Posted By: Tourige Re: just wondering - 04/06/06 11:09 PM
well i believe it does that why im not going to put any mufflers in the rear. every car that ive ever heard that had rasp had the mufflers in the rear, especialy one with a strait through design. but that is a totaly different topic than what i start6ed the post on.

all i can think of when i picture you is a riced out civic.

get rid of the mufflers, id acutally like to see you waste some money getting them taken out
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 12:59 AM
than you pictured me wrong! theres nothign ricey about me or any car i have ever owned. on top of that i would never own a civic. other than this contour ive owned 3 mr2's and a supra all sleepers .thats my style.
Posted By: Tourige Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 03:32 AM
than you pictured me wrong! theres nothign ricey about me or any car i have ever owned. on top of that i would never own a civic. other than this contour ive owned 3 mr2's and a supra all sleepers .thats my style.

i dont see how you could own some decent cars yet still know nothing about them...
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 03:42 AM
every car that ive ever heard that had rasp had the mufflers in the rear, especialy one with a strait through design.

I've never heard of "rear" mufflers contributing to rasp. The rasp you hear is directly related to the resinator behind the catalytic converter. If you have one, there shouldn't be any. If you don't have one (i.e. the straight-thru setup you're referring to above) then you will experience the "rasp" whether you have rear mufflers or not.

I believe YOU yourself stated by adding the resinator you eliminated the problem.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 04:50 AM
What is the most used replacement muffler/res. for the main stock muffler behind the cat?
Posted By: Tourige Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 04:52 AM
Originally posted by bradSVT:
What is the most used replacement muffler/res. for the main stock muffler behind the cat?

Magnaflow Res, i forget the part number, Stazi sells them i believe.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 04:52 AM
Magnaflow Resonators
#10435 and #11225

read the stickies
Posted By: Tourige Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Pre98:
Magnaflow Resonators
#10435 and #11225

read the stickies

Yes, rule of thumb, read, read and search. for that is how you become a great douche like me
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 05:20 AM
more like a douche bag. either way my original question was never mentioned. this post just turned into a rasp\res post. but my original question

what would flow better? no cat with a chambered muffler that is quieter, or a cat with high flow strait through mufflers? with the same res used in each set up.
Posted By: Tourige Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 05:25 AM
more like a douche bag. either way my original question was never mentioned. this post just turned into a rasp\res post. but my original question

what would flow better? no cat with a chambered muffler that is quieter, or a cat with high flow strait through mufflers? with the same res used in each set up.

HERE IS WHAT YOU DO, GET A HI-FLOW CAT AND A RESONATER, AND DUAL MUFFLERS.

God, i already said this, try not being such an illiterate [censored] and read what everyone already posted.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 06:08 AM
my question was a this or that question not a full sugesstion question.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 07:41 AM
Magnaflow Resonators
#10435 and #11225

read the stickies

Yes, rule of thumb, read, read and search. for that is how you become a great douche like me

Ya I just wanted to see if there was any other mufflers people used. I will start reading more, maybe you could create a test for me to pass?
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 12:50 PM
i swear there has to be over 100 posts with the numbers 10435 and #11225 in them
Posted By: Pre98 Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 03:36 PM

A muffler in the place of the primary cat would kill almost all the sound right at the engine, and hardly any would make it to the tips unless you're at WOT. Unless stock-quiet is what you want until you rip on it?

Though, headers+cat delete, back to a resonator is just asking for ear-burning loud. jmo.

Posted By: Mod-deth Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 03:38 PM
Originally posted by bradSVT:

Magnaflow Res, i forget the part number, Stazi sells them i believe.

Stazi no longer sells Magnaflow products.
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 04:50 PM
you beat me to it
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: just wondering - 04/07/06 05:03 PM

HERE IS WHAT YOU DO, GET A HI-FLOW CAT AND A RESONATER, AND DUAL MUFFLERS.

God, i already said this, try not being such an illiterate [censored] and read what everyone already posted.

Excellent double douching - in bold caps no less. Well done.

<=== (* feeds touige a cookie *)
© CEG Archives