Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 05:58 PM
How hard is it to install? I am thinking about getting a B&M for the SVT.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 06:28 PM
the B&M is a dirrect swap out
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 08:41 PM
get the real deal and buy a Steeda. Install is a bit harder but its worth it. It is a "true" short shifter.

I'm sure people will argue that the B&M is a short throw. However, the pivot point (which controlls the distance of the throw) is the same as the stock shifter, only the shaft is shorter. The steeda pivot point has been modified creating a shorter throw. The Steeda shaft is shorter than stock but not as short as the B&M.

I opted for the Steeda and got a short throw....not a short stick. my .02
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 09:10 PM
and where would you buy a steeda at?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 09:46 PM
You can buy the Steeda from SPmotorsports, your better off looking on E-bay tho.

For the steeda its actually the short throw for the focus, 00-02 years to be exact. You will need an adapter plate from Scottd60 to make the shifter work (due to it being a true shifter and changing the fulcrum point)

The Steeda is amazing tho, i installed mine last week and i cant get enough of it, its probably the best mod ive done, it totally makes the car feel like a sports car.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 09:59 PM
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
get the real deal and buy a Steeda. Install is a bit harder but its worth it. It is a "true" short shifter.

I'm sure people will argue that the B&M is a short throw. However, the pivot point (which controlls the distance of the throw) is the same as the stock shifter, only the shaft is shorter. The steeda pivot point has been modified creating a shorter throw. The Steeda shaft is shorter than stock but not as short as the B&M.

I opted for the Steeda and got a short throw....not a short stick. my .02

And you are incorrect.

I have tried all three, I have measured and taken pictures of all three and can tell you that a B&M and cut stock shifter are NOT the same.

- The B&M does have a shorter throw than a cut stock shifter
- The Steeda may have a shorter throw, but they feel the same. Not just my opinion, but from those who have had both say the same.

I can assure you that if you installed a B&M, a Steeda and a stock shifter cut to same height that you would be able to tell the throw distance difference between the stock vs B&M/Steeda, but not the throw distance difference (if any) between B&M vs Steeda.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 10:02 PM
how is that possible? the Steeda moves the fulcrum point..
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

The fulcrum point is the ball. All shifters move at the fulcrum point.

It's what you can't see(BELOW the fulcrum point) with the Steeda installed, that makes it the shorter throw. The shaft below the fulcrum point is lengthened, compared to the stock/B&M shifters. This creates further travel on that end, with minimal travel on your end(hand).

GTO does have a point, but I'd have to say that it all depends on how far you cut the stock shifter. There's a LOT of room on that shaft to cut, so you could potentially make it insanely short.

Your best bet, and what Elky did, is to cut the Steeda shifter down ~1", and install the B&M lockout mechanism(shorter than the Steeda). This will create the shortest throwing shifter available.

Mark
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 10:24 PM

I'll have to dig up pictures of the three when I get home.

I'm not saying the Steeda isn't the best short throw. I'm saying:
1. those that have had both state they do not feel the difference between the two
2. you can feel the difference between stock shifter cut vs. B&M

I'm not claiming to be "right", that's just what I've experienced and heard, and have yet to see anyone compare them and state otherwise.

If I had to choose one, Steeda and cut it.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 10:33 PM
so whos is better b@m or steeda? what about price range are they the same price range?
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 10:54 PM
100-140 for steeda. 130-170 for B&M (B&M usually includes a new knob, for the steeda its like 30 more i believe) all depends on where ya go and who has deals, if you can find it on ebay...etc.

The throws are about the same. So you can actualy base it on, if you want your new shifters height 1" below stock or 3" below stock. (1" steeda; 3" B&M)
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 11:24 PM
what does n e one knwo about cosmo short shifters? there are 2 on ebay for the tour like 65 bucks.... n e thoughts..
Posted By: Tourige Re: Short Throw Install - 03/29/06 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

The fulcrum point is the ball. All shifters move at the fulcrum point.

Mark

Thanks thats what i said, you just didnt understand it

The steeda moves the fulcrum point up the shaft more, hence the shorter throws.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 12:11 AM
Originally posted by pimpdcontour:
what does n e one knwo about cosmo short shifters? there are 2 on ebay for the tour like 65 bucks.... n e thoughts..

...you get what you pay for.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 12:35 AM
The main difference between a cut stocker and the B&M is the overall feel of the shifter. The cut stock shifter still has that soft, spongy feel, where the B&M has very solid, firm shifts. Cutting the stock shifter is a waste of the 10 minutes it takes to do it IMO.
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 04:49 AM

the cosmo is not bad, I would weld the bottom ball joint on better though, it seems to be a pretty weak weld.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Moose:

the cosmo is not bad, I would weld the bottom ball joint on better though, it seems to be a pretty weak weld.

Its probably the same B&M rip-off as the OBX shifter. You'd definately want to weld the lower linkage. I know first hand how bad it sucks to be stuck in traffic with a broken shifter.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 01:49 PM
I have taken pics of the stock shifter and the Steeda I bought prior to instaling. There is a noticable difference in the shaft length BELOW the pivit point (the ball). This is what creates the shorter throw. It's simple physics.

Now the B&M we all know is shorter then stock and the Steeda however the part that matters most when it comes to throw length is the shaft length below the ball and the B&M is the same as stock. So again it's rules of physics.

As far as the B&M, the more solid shifts (over the spongey stock shifts) may create the illusion of shorter/quicker shifts. All I know is I contemplated both and went WITH physics.

Now I got the Steeda w/ shift nob for $175 which is about the same as the B&M. It's your $.

Personally, as stated, I would get the Steeda and cut the length of the shaft for the overall best shifter.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 02:40 PM
teamSVTour, do you have any pics of the Steeda knob? I don't believe I've ever seen it. Bought mine without the knob obviously.

Mark
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 02:54 PM
the one I got is just a plain nob. There is no "Steeda" engraving or anything. If you go to Steeda.com and click on "drivetrain" you can see the knobs. I got the polished.

The shifter is 149 w/out knob, 169 w/. The knob by itself is 25
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 03:02 PM
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
the one I got is just a plain nob. There is no "Steeda" engraving or anything. If you go to Steeda.com and click on "drivetrain" you can see the knobs. I got the polished.

The shifter is 149 w/out knob, 169 w/. The knob by itself is 25

Or here for $148 w/knob

http://wakeperformance.com/product_info.php/products_id/572

Your choice of black, blue, or red knobs.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 03:07 PM
I believe I tried there. In fact I called...I dont know how many places that advertised them cheaper than Steeda. Everyone was out of stock and would need to re-order them. Each place said that since Steeda raised the price they would have to also. Each place wanted to charge the same as Steeda so I just oredered mine right from Steeda.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 05:54 PM
Please stop spouting "physics" this "physics" that.

Reality vs. perception are two different things.

Reality is 4300k HIDs should provide the best light output.

Perception is that 5000k appears whiter and brighter.

Reality is that the Steeda should be provide shorter throws.

Perception is that the Steeda provides no difference in throws over the B&M.

As stated previously:
1) people who have had both (including myself) claim to feel no difference between the throw distance of the B&M and Steeda
2) no one who has tried both has said one feels better than the other as far as throws

Until you have tried and used both, don't make claims to know what you really don't.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Your best bet, and what Elky did, is to cut the Steeda shifter down ~1", and install the B&M lockout mechanism(shorter than the Steeda). This will create the shortest throwing shifter available.

Mark

who me?

Before:

After: sorry about the crappy pic

weld:
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 08:08 PM
Elky,

How does the cut Steeda feel in comparison to the B&M? That's one thing I never tried and have always been curious about.

Oh, and learn how to quote!
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 08:13 PM
WIll a shorter shift actually benefit you? Use the money to buy a dremmel and chop it.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
WIll a shorter shift actually benefit you? Use the money to buy a dremmel and chop it.

Probably not, but the firmer feel of the aftermarket shifter alone is worth it.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Short Throw Install - 03/30/06 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Jason43:
Originally posted by Tourgasm:

Probably not, but the firmer feel of the aftermarket shifter alone is worth it.

all i know is that my steeda was about 10000% better than stock.
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: Short Throw Install - 03/31/06 05:49 AM
YESSS!

So today I installed my B and M short throw that is amazing.

I picked it up used and welded from Conor7Seven for 70 bucks with the knob, the boot, and it already in the housing for the shifter.

It took 10 minutes to put in

Id say this should be a definite mod for anybody who wants to either shift faster and smoother or actually change the radio when in third or fifth
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Short Throw Install - 03/31/06 12:44 PM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Elky,

How does the cut Steeda feel in comparison to the B&M? That's one thing I never tried and have always been curious about.

I don't know how accurate that will be as I believe Elky has a 13 oz shift knob, and that should effect the shifting

as I recal it was a very short throw
Posted By: ElKy Re: Short Throw Install - 03/31/06 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Elky,

I don't know how accurate that will be as I believe Elky has a 13 oz shift knob, and that should effect the shifting

as I recal it was a very short throw

wow!thats the first time i ever screwed up a quote like that!

and as brian said i have a rather heavy knob.
haha
it is stainless.

the throw is extremely short and it shifts so nice.
the heavier knob helps with the shift, it almost shifts itself.

Posted By: Tourige Re: Short Throw Install - 03/31/06 08:09 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:
and as brian said i have a rather heavy knob.

i bet you do
© CEG Archives