Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Groove Merchant Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 09:55 AM
Greetings,

This is my first post although I've read contour.org for a long time. I have owned a Contour for almost 10 years now. I bought a '96GL brand new and eventually modded it (BAT kit, rims, S-03's,K&N etc.) Last year I finally got rid of it and picked up a '99 SVT. I destroyed the first motor in the classic high G sustaned right hand turn Contour manner I had read about many times.

I decided to go with a 3.0L hybrid conversion. Since everything had to come apart I decided to do several other mods at the same time including a Koni sport kit, Torsen LSD, spec stage 1 clutch and flywheel, ADC tune via an xcalibrator2, a magnaflow resonator in the center position, optimized factory y-pipe and the mystery mod.

After several months and a wad of loot (I personally have zero mechanical skills) I am happy with the mods except for one thing; I just don't like the sound of the car now. A lot of other people like the way my car sounds but I don't like it. Although it's been a year since I've heard it (the mangnaflow was on before I lunched the motor), I remember liking the sound of the stock system better. I am looking for a more "Euro-type" sound. I find that to my ears the magnaflow sounds more "muscle car-like" for lack of a better term.

My question is do you think a dynomax resonator might get me closer to what I'm looking for? I would just stick the stock resonator back on but right now the car pulls like a train and I don't want to sacrifice flow if I can help it.
Also, does anyone (Demon maybe) know the part# for the dynomax piece that will fit in the center resonator spot?

Based on what I've read, I think that a Dynomax product might be what I'm looking for although I'm certainly open to other ideas. Whaddya think???
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 02:32 PM
it sounds like your the candidate for the trubedz resonated system...
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 02:33 PM
...plus,are you saying your running the stock exhaust on a three liter ????....if so you should def. get the trubenz 2.5" kit...not only less noisy,but you'll pick up some ponies on top of it
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 03:15 PM
One thing's for sure ... DON'T re-install the original (stock) resonator !
Posted By: Stazi Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 03:46 PM
Dynomax resonator will sound sthe EXACT same as a Magnaflow resonator.

I'm confused as to what you call the "Euro" sound - all the cars I've seen in Europe (aside from exatics) sound like weedwackers with their puny engines.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

I'm confused as to what you call the "Euro" sound - all the cars I've seen in Europe (aside from exatics) sound like weedwackers with their puny engines.

stazi..i think he's read too many car mags,were they equate good sounding,looking,handling...to euro...so i think he's looking for that classy sound
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 04:05 PM
Borla
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 04:31 PM
Hey another guy from Georgia comes out of the woodwork. Post up some pics in the Pics and Videos section.

I have the TruBendz resonated sytem and it sounds pretty good.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Borla

stock sounding but a tad louder
Posted By: Groove Merchant Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 07:29 PM
First of all thanks for all your replies.

Originally posted by tour96se:

stazi..i think he's read too many car mags,were they equate good sounding,looking,handling...to euro...so i think he's looking for that classy sound

Thanks Stazi because I'm flying in the clouds on this. I would hate to spend $'s on a Dynomax duplicate of what I already have.

It is always difficult to describe sound. When I said Euro I mean I am trying to come as close to a "Ferrari-esque" sound. I relaize that I won't be able to duplicate a 360 or 430 tone exactly, but to my ears there is a smoothness and richness of tone in the stock SVT system that approaches what I consider an ideal sound. In fact, my only reason for replacing the resonator in the first place was a search for more ponies.. I was fine with the sound of the stock system. I hope this clarifies the sentiment in my original post.
Posted By: Groove Merchant Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 07:36 PM
Originally posted by JCSVT:
Hey another guy from Georgia comes out of the woodwork. Post up some pics in the Pics and Videos section.

I have the TruBendz resonated sytem and it sounds pretty good.

I'm traveling for Christmas and am swamped with last minute work before I leave town... I will take some pics and post them as soon as I return.
Posted By: Groove Merchant Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/18/05 07:42 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:
...plus,are you saying your running the stock exhaust on a three liter ????....if so you should def. get the trubenz 2.5" kit...not only less noisy,but you'll pick up some ponies on top of it

Yes, I have the stock tubing. The y-pipe was optimized, the center resonator was replaced with a magnalow unit, plus the mystery mod. I still have the stock rear mufllers.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 12:06 AM
Borla

mmm Borla
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 01:02 AM
Borla.

The mating call of the reclusive Goonzer
Posted By: mcfast Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 02:57 AM
You will never, I say never get a Euro Exhaust Sound with a Contour.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 03:46 AM
Borla.

The mating call of the reclusive Goonzer

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 05:46 AM
You are correct that the Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers are what you want. They are sporty & throaty sounding.

Magnaflows are a bit loud & boomy. Kind of small block reminiscent. (slightly) They can be annoying because they are boomy.

Flowmaster sucks. Loud, droning, boomy, and they are not straight through design. They serve one purpose in life. They sound decent on a small displacement V8. Skip them at all cost.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 01:29 PM
So did you do the 3L yourself? I'm just trying to see if you actually found all info w/o even posting.
Posted By: jtour Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 01:43 PM
I think the sound he is going for would be a sound of a Nissan Z/Supra. If I am correct, not the honda civic "bee sound."

Cant wait to see the pics!

Posted By: Stazi Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 01:58 PM
The sound he is looking for will not be attainable. Ferrari's sound the way they do due to their small displacement but high number of cylinders - i.e. each cylinder is small so the note from each cylinder exhausting is a higher pitch than say a LS2 cylinder.

The Borla kit is TOO F'EN SMALL FOR A 3L PEOPLE - GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS! It's no different in size to the stock SVT exhaust so in my eyes - waste of money. Sure it sounds better than stock, but almost any exhaust does!

Demon's theory on the Dynomax being less boomy may be true - although I'm not sure how. Running two AS BIG AS YOU CAN FIT Dynomax Ultraflows at the back - along with te Mag res he has will sharpen the tone - but it won't sound like a ferrari - you need another 2 cylinder for that.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 02:31 PM

The Borla kit is TOO F'EN SMALL FOR A 3L PEOPLE - GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS! It's no different in size to the stock SVT exhaust so in my eyes - waste of money. Sure it sounds better than stock, but almost any exhaust does!

Well hes running a stockish type exhaust right now, So its not like anyone was wrong to suggest the borla :P
Posted By: Stazi Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 02:32 PM
Alex how would dropping 6+ bills on a Borla constiutute a cost-effective improvement????
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 04:05 PM
With the 3L I would definetely get an exhaust with bigger piping if you have the $.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 05:10 PM
and they dont make borla's anymore..
Posted By: Groove Merchant Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 06:52 PM
Originally posted by todras:
So did you do the 3L yourself? I'm just trying to see if you actually found all info w/o even posting.

No. As I mentioned I have zero mechanical skills. Craig Curtis, an ASE Certified Master Tech did all of the work. He is a former CSVT owner himself. If anybody is in the metro Atlanta area I highly recommend him. He can be reached via e-mail: craigcurtis8@yahoo.com or phone:678.458.7266
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 07:05 PM
when I was referring to Borla I meant the trubenz/borla kit. Its bigger diameter tubing then stock and the Borla muffler is along the line of what you want.

You said you like the stock sound....well Borla resembles the stock exhaust note but a tad bit louder then stock.

I believe this to be exactly what your looking for.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 07:09 PM
Alex how would dropping 6+ bills on a Borla constiutute a cost-effective improvement????

Shhh, Id be much more willing to sell it for less than six
Dont cockblock stazi!
Posted By: Groove Merchant Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 07:09 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
You are correct that the Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers are what you want. They are sporty & throaty sounding.

Magnaflows are a bit loud & boomy. Kind of small block reminiscent. (slightly) They can be annoying because they are boomy.

Flowmaster sucks. Loud, droning, boomy, and they are not straight through design. They serve one purpose in life. They sound decent on a small displacement V8. Skip them at all cost.

Demon,

Do you recommend replacing the center res. as well as the rear mufflers with Dynomax units? In a later post, Stazi advocates replacing the rears only and keeping the magnaflow center. Also, it seems that the consensus on this forum is that the stock tubing is too small for a 3.0L. If I do replace the system from the y-pipe back, how large is large enough? The car is NA now and I have no future plans for any significant additional mods (i.e. turbo, SC, etc.)

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 07:47 PM
The difference in sounds between two near indentically made resonators (like Magnaflow or Dynomax straight throughs) are going to sound remarkably close. A resonators main job is drone reduction. The only real way to get a different exhaust tone with a resonator is by flow restriction (size) or a different internal design. (like baffles of chambers )

The mufflers are what shape the final overall tone & volume of the exhaust. (i.e. muffle ) The Dynomax Ultraflow (SS & race) mufflers are a bit higher pitch because they are less restrictive then the others available.
I chose Magnaflow rears because it was easier to package their small mufflers in the rear. (already 3 years ago ) Packaging 9x13 mufflers back there between the suspension and the tow hooks is a big PITA. If I had to do it again I would have just stuffed some DynoMax mufflers in there. They do fit because I have done it a couple times.
Posted By: Groove Merchant Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 08:47 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
The difference in sounds between two near indentically made resonators (like Magnaflow or Dynomax straight throughs) are going to sound remarkably close. A resonators main job is drone reduction. The only real way to get a different exhaust tone with a resonator is by flow restriction (size) or a different internal design. (like baffles of chambers )

The mufflers are what shape the final overall tone & volume of the exhaust. (i.e. muffle ) The Dynomax Ultraflow (SS & race) mufflers are a bit higher pitch because they are less restrictive then the others available.
I chose Magnaflow rears because it was easier to package their small mufflers in the rear. (already 3 years ago ) Packaging 9x13 mufflers back there between the suspension and the tow hooks is a big PITA. If I had to do it again I would have just stuffed some DynoMax mufflers in there. They do fit because I have done it a couple times.

Thanks Demon,
I checked the DynoMax website and there is an "Ultraflow" and an "Ultraflow SS". According to their website the Ultraflow flows better (i.e. higher cfm rating). The difference was small so it probably doesn't matter for my application. Here's a stretch, but do you recall the part# for the DynoMax rears you installed? If not, what are their approximate dimensions? (9 x 13???)
Posted By: Stazi Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/19/05 08:51 PM
He has MAGNAFLOW rears!

I'm betting he used two 11132's (3.5x7x11)

Ultraflow "SS" means Stainless Steel.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 12/20/05 09:18 PM
i just bought a Trubendz Magnoflow (resonated) kit and it doesnt have the English sound i was aiming for a little bit Italian, but Florence Italian, not Maranello Italian
Posted By: Groove Merchant Re: Euro Exhaust Sound - 05/02/06 11:49 PM
Just a note to thank everybody (especially DemonSVT). I went with Dynomax rears and am very happy with the result. I've had them on for 3 or 4 months now and they've broken in nicely. I ended up removing the magnaflow center resonator. I get a little rasp when the car is cold, but once it warms up the rasp is gone and the car sounds just the way I want it to :-).

When I figure out how to do it, I'll post a soundclip.

Thanks again for your help!
© CEG Archives