Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: acammer The rpm hang fix... - 12/11/05 05:26 PM
I've read the how-to in the FAQ, and I've searched some, but I'm just gonna ask, how is the throttle hang fix working out for most of you? After driving my SVT to be a few more times, (should be taking it home with me Wednsday, yehya!) I've really noticed this, and really don't like it. It an E0, '98, so will it work out without creating other problems. In the tutoril they mention it hurts power on certain SVTs, do I need to be concerned about this? Discuss.
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/11/05 05:36 PM
what do you not like about it? it shouln't really bother anything other than throttle hang, and power loss was never an issue.
Posted By: acammer Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/11/05 08:10 PM
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
what do you not like about it? it shouln't really bother anything other than throttle hang, and power loss was never an issue.

Ok, I was just wondering because in the FAQ it says:

Originally posted by FAQ:
There are reports that the plug causes newer SVT's (E1) to lose power in mid-range RPM's, perhaps due to the newer IAC valves?

I'm just curious to if anybodys actually noticed this. Also, what seems to be the optimal size hole in the plug for an SVT, specifically an E0, if that matters. And finally, how well does it resolve this issue. Thanks guys.
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/11/05 08:26 PM
Originally posted by acammer:

There are reports that the plug causes newer SVT's (E1) to lose power in mid-range RPM's, perhaps due to the newer IAC valves?

I'm just curious to if anybodys actually noticed this. Also, what seems to be the optimal size hole in the plug for an SVT, specifically an E0, if that matters. And finally, how well does it resolve this issue. Thanks guys.

the power loss is minimal at most. I only have the TH fix in during the winter when it mooses badly. As for hole size, i tried all different ones and found the one that worked the best.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/12/05 01:17 AM
It's easy and cheap. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't, it is easy to remove.
Posted By: svt490 Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/12/05 04:00 AM
If you want to try a different rpm fix, get the fidanza 9lb flywheel
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/12/05 04:12 AM
There is absolutely zero power loss from the TH fix. There couldn't be because the IAC is closed when the TPS signal is not at rest.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/12/05 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Slack Master Doug:
Originally posted by acammer:

the power loss is minimal at most. I only have the TH fix in during the winter when it mooses badly. As for hole size, i tried all different ones and found the one that worked the best.

I've had it on three cars, two Contiques & a BMW. Never had any problems with loss of power. Those who have reported power loss have not provided any dyno proof that I have seen, only perceptions and unfounded opinion that is contrary to the operation of the IAC valve as described by Demon. As stated above, any power loos - if any - will be minimal and likely not measureable.

The TH fix will also cure the moose in most cases.

Posted By: JohnnyBravo Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/12/05 07:26 PM
I just did the TH fix about 2wks ago & I couldn't be happier. My car never moosed so I didn't concern myself with that, but the TH made the car very irritating to drive at times. Now it's sooooo much nicer & the "power loss" is probably a bunch of crapola as I haven't noticed any whatsoever. I mean hell for $.50 or less (free in my case as I found a pipe cap here & borrowed the drill bit) and maybe 5min worth of work it's absolutely worth trying & it's easily reversible so no worries there either.
Posted By: acammer Re: The rpm hang fix... - 12/12/05 08:28 PM
Yea, I'm writing the check and taking the keys tonight, so tomorrow I'll probaby go out and get me a few pipe caps and find a place to drill a few different sized holes in them. Be nice to pick my foot off the throttle and have the engine actually wind back down like it should.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: The rpm hang fix... - 08/17/06 02:28 PM
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I've been doign some experimenting

Originally posted by DemonSVT:
There is absolutely zero power loss from the TH fix. There couldn't be because the IAC is closed when the TPS signal is not at rest.

This is what really had me thinking. You see, in my experience, there is absolutely beyond a doubt a difference in performance with the TH fix. Its what we define as "performance loss" that I think is confusing.

If the IAC is closed at WOT, this makes sense that at WOT there would not be a performance difference. And that I agree with; that even with a TH plug in there, at WOT, performance is the same. However, I theorize that the sluggish performance we experience is a loss of throttle response at steady speeds and around town driving. That first tip-in of the throttle when cruising is noticably more sluggish with a copper cap and small hole (small being 5/32" 3/16" or so).

My methodology of testing began with a 5/32" hole in a copper cap and I've increased the size of that hole by 1/32" with each test. I would install the cap, go for test drive of about 10 miles mixing city and highway driving. With each cap that was larger I noticed better throttle response each time. I'm now up to 5/16" and have no moose yet and the car feels the best it has since I started testing.

I might add that don't really have problems with throttle hang (mostly due to the ADC tune I have) but since I installed the headers the car began moosing very badly so I turned to the "TH Fix" for a fix but I immediately noticed the car feeling very sluggish and I began testing larger holes.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: The rpm hang fix... - 08/17/06 02:38 PM
Interesting, my car had very bad TH, did the fix and it helped but still comes down slowly. I can't stand the hang so i will deal with a loss in throttle response.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: The rpm hang fix... - 08/17/06 08:33 PM
I'd say wait until it gets cold to see if you've fixed your moosing problem.

Well, I guess my SVT only mooses if it's cold outside...
Posted By: SVTJON87 Re: The rpm hang fix... - 08/18/06 07:27 AM
ok i had really really bad hang. it would rev up from 2 grand to 4 grand by its self when coasting. and stay there until i stoped. i replaced the iac 2 times. fixed it for about 3 weeks both times. and i just took it to a shop and they found nothing wrong. i was pissed. i got the car back and it wasnt doing it anymore. but it comes and gose. would the plug help with this bad hang? o and the car is a 99 svt
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: The rpm hang fix... - 08/18/06 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SVTJON87:
ok i had really really bad hang. it would rev up from 2 grand to 4 grand by its self when coasting. and stay there until i stoped. i replaced the iac 2 times. fixed it for about 3 weeks both times. and i just took it to a shop and they found nothing wrong. i was pissed. i got the car back and it wasnt doing it anymore. but it comes and gose. would the plug help with this bad hang? o and the car is a 99 svt

yes
© CEG Archives