Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: wp_master Intake filter? - 05/07/05 12:51 AM
I changed my intake setup from stock SVT to open element K&N, I was wondering if the little filter inbetween the MAF and the filter from the stock SVT intake should be used with the MAF adaptor + K&N?

Thanks.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Intake filter? - 05/07/05 02:31 AM
The MAF screen?

It is "generally" accepted that the maf screen straightens out the air, causing smoother flow, et al.

"generally", it isn't recommended to remove it.....

Ray
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Intake filter? - 05/08/05 08:16 PM
yes it should be used if your talking about that mesh screen inside
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Intake filter? - 05/08/05 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
The MAF screen?

It is "generally" accepted that the maf screen straightens out the air, causing smoother flow, et al.

Ray

My understanding was that it has been removed in most cases for an aftermarket set-up.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Intake filter? - 05/09/05 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Marky:
Originally posted by Ray:
The MAF screen?

Ray

My understanding was that it has been removed in most cases for an aftermarket set-up.

nope you should definitely keep the screen...
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Intake filter? - 05/09/05 01:01 PM
Hmmmm... I took mine out over at stazi's. he said, "take that screen out, it is a piece of junk." I haven't had any problems without it.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Intake filter? - 05/09/05 02:52 PM
my car woiuld not run right without it...put it back in and it ran fine..
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Intake filter? - 05/09/05 03:44 PM
Haven't had a screen in over 3 years. 0 problems.

Mark
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Intake filter? - 05/09/05 04:01 PM
FWIW:
I don't have mine in, and haven't for going on 4 years.. however, I will still say that in most cases, you wouldn't want to remove it, if only for the single fact that ANYTHING that makes it past your filter (or comes OFF of your filter, will go straight to the engine. without an agressive maintenance schedule, you may not notice these things, causing poor mileage, wear, etc. I would hate for an imploded filter to have material come off and enter the engine.. :yikes:..

lol

There are those that upgrade to an open-air (ala K&N) and then never look at it again... (never clean, etc... :yikes:, again...)

Ray
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Intake filter? - 05/09/05 04:26 PM
i think its kind of hit or miss...i remember reading awhile back that alot of people were having driveability problems without it(such as me)....and others had no problems....

i say try it without first and if everythings ok i'd leave it out...
© CEG Archives