Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: windrain Chip failure - 04/17/05 01:27 PM
Has anyone had a chip failure. And if so is there anything that I might have inadvertly done to cause same. I had the heads off for improvement which worked out well. Then coil and leads went and were replaced only for chip to fail immediately.

was theis bad look or might I have done something stupid?
Posted By: windrain Re: Chip failure - 04/19/05 10:21 AM
Looks like I'm the first chip failure them!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Chip failure - 04/19/05 12:13 PM
An aftermarket chip or a chip inside the ECU?
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Chip failure - 04/19/05 05:26 PM
Originally posted by windrain:
Looks like I'm the first chip failure them!

...i maybe next to join ya....mine is making my car idle anywere between 1500 to 2100 rpms...and of cousre throwing cel's...if i pull the chip the car idles fine around 800+or so, no cel,even after 400+miles...also it doesnt run any different with 91/93 then it does with 87/89..shouldnt it ping or be boggy?,and at times i wont let the obdII pull the codes...just waiting for reply from adc...also its not a iac, i just spent 35 on a new one to find out that wasnt the problem....another wierd thing..with the chip i can feel the secondaires open in 2nd, but i dont "feel" anything in 3rd..w/o the chip 3rd feels like 2nd as far as the secondairies are concerned...
Posted By: windrain Re: Chip failure - 04/20/05 11:34 AM
No CEL's showed up prior to failure.
There is no spark (sensors have been changed) and ECU can't be read.
I don't know what part of ECU is failing, but it is at least the part that controls spark.

No ecu/chip mods were done.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Chip failure - 04/20/05 04:31 PM
It sounds like someone may have disconnected the PCM with the battery connected or key in the ignition.

Maybe they forgot to hook the PCM ground lead back up.
© CEG Archives