Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: v6contourse Good Deal? - 03/15/05 02:51 AM
I have a 99 SE V6 and am about to have dual flowmaster 40 Series installed. I have heard another contour with the same setup and it sounds really good, and did give it a significant torque gain, but i am not sure whether or not I am getting a good deal. I went to my local Midas and asked for a quote on Parts and Labor and he told me $380 and another $20 to cut off the resonater. That includes the custom fabrication for the heat shield that he is sure will have to be installed due to all of the emissions controls crap, which leads me to another question. Anyone have a heatshield on the passenger exhaust pipe? Is it necessary, and is it safe? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 02:57 AM
Probably gave a lot of torque since its so restrictive.

$380 sounds extremely high to me. I had an svt exhaust put on, straight pipe welded in for the resonator, exhaust hanger put on the passenger side all for $150 from midas. A heatshield isnt neccessary for the exhaust muffler/pipes. I would however recommend to buy a quality muffler such as Magnaflow. Stazi could hook you up.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:01 AM
holy sh!ttttttttt...380.00 for a little less than that you could buy a trubenz 2.5" exhaust,shipped...
Posted By: v6contourse Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:01 AM
The only reason I was going to go with the flowmasters was because i know what it sounds like. Does the Magnaflow sound like full american muscle because I cant stand the rice sound! Oh, and how much do they cost compared to the flowmasters? I forgot, the price includes the tips. lol.
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:06 AM
$380 does seem high to me as well. I'm buying an SVT exhaust with SVT main cat for $100. I'm getting a magnaflow resonator from Justmagnaflow.com for $60 shipped and my neighbor will weld in the res. for me. So, I'll be paying $160 + the cost of the exhaust hanger for the dual exhaust. (probably $10-$15)

Should be a good setup...

You may want to look at getting an SVT catback and installing that, as that may be a better deal.

EDIT: I'll be able to tell you what it sounds like in a few weeks...
Posted By: v6contourse Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:10 AM
Is an SVT exhaust with main SVT cat something that any well known exhaust shop can order and install? Sorry to be asking so many questions. Thanks
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:13 AM
Im sure you could get it from a stealership but they'd charge quite a bit. It wouldn't be worth it to get it new. The only problem with the SVT catback is that it uses the same resonator that the 4cyl and regular duratec use...

You may want to look into tour96se's suggestion and look into the trubendz. Depending on what you want to spend, this could be a good setup.
Posted By: v6contourse Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:24 AM
Where do you order a Trubendz at and what all do i need to order with it (resonater, cat, etc...)so that all i have to do is walk into the shop and say install it? I want it to sound nice and look good, so i guess I'll kinda see how much it would cost, then decide whether or not i want to do that. As long as I can get someone to install it for me (that does good work), im open to any suggestions and feedback. Thanks.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:25 AM
who said anything about the cat???! a few weeks to put that thing on??? no ambition i drove all the way to philly to pick this thing up,and was so excited about putting it on that i did it in my aunts driveway in york,pa....you can get either borla,flowmaster,or magnaflow through trubenz or you can get just the pipe kit for 245?? or so and get any muffler you want installed....the non resonated one is a little raspy when its cold but once warmed it's loud,but not bee's nest loud...its hard to explain duratecs have a unique sound when opened up...go to trubenz.com they have sound clips of the different setups
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:26 AM
oh yeah the svt exhaust is over a grand at the dealership..w/o main cat!!!!
Posted By: v6contourse Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:30 AM
holy $hit...
Posted By: snakous Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:45 AM
www.trubendz.com, somthin220 has the TruBendz Dual exhaust with the Magnaflow muffler and no resonator (I believe). I believe he only paid $80 to get it put on by Muffler Man. Most people here love their TruBendz's. I'll be getting one if I don't sell my car.
Posted By: v6contourse Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 03:59 AM
thank you all for your help. If anyone else has any feedback, feel free to post as I will check this for the next few days. Thanks again.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 05:43 AM
I should have a stock SVT Exhaust system going for sale within the next month.... I'm moving up to a full stainless Borla with MSDS Headers If your interested shoot me a PM or send me an email at Redlineracer12@hotmail.com with an offer. I know it'd be a much cheaper alternative as i could chop it for you and save on shipping. I beleive all you'd have to do is walk into Midas with your pieces and have them weld it all up for you (should be no prob) and then they could hang it too if your looking to have it professionally installed anyway. You could also swap out the mufflers for any brand you'd like. I'm pretty sure you'd save a lot of money in the end. Btw it has 44750 miles on it, completely stock (includes Resonator, could be removed/replaced) and the Tips are in great shape. Can get pics as well. Let me know, Tony
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 06:50 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:
who said anything about the cat???! a few weeks to put that thing on??? no ambition i drove all the way to philly to pick this thing up,and was so excited about putting it on that i did it in my aunts driveway in york,pa....you can get either borla,flowmaster,or magnaflow through trubenz or you can get just the pipe kit for 245?? or so and get any muffler you want installed....the non resonated one is a little raspy when its cold but once warmed it's loud,but not bee's nest loud...its hard to explain duratecs have a unique sound when opened up...go to trubenz.com they have sound clips of the different setups

No cat??

Yea, I say it'll take a couple weeks... Right...

Once my neighbor welds it up for me, its goin on. I still have to order the magnaflow res.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Good Deal? - 03/15/05 08:26 PM
no you can have the cat...i was jus playin'
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: Good Deal? - 03/16/05 01:44 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:
no you can have the cat...i was jus playin'

I hope it sounds gutsy with the magnaflow res... At least enough to scare the local ricers...

Does the cat have a lot of miles??

I'm very excited about getting it. I'll hafta make a trip to the ford dealer to get the second exhaust hanger...

The only thing im worried about is bolts breaking... I hope they come off without much difficulty, but they do look pretty bad...

I wish I took them off when the car was new and put antiseize on them... That stuff rules!
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Good Deal? - 03/16/05 02:53 AM
if your not doing anything with the y pipe then you only need to take off two bolts....they usually arent toooo bad ...we'll see...it should sound really good with the magnaflow....i think they sound good stock,but combined with the open filter you should love the note the duratec sings!!!...although she is a auto so unnesc downshifts are out of the question!!
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: Good Deal? - 03/16/05 03:16 AM
I may bolt it up with just the SVT exhaust and run it like that for a while. Till I get some time to optimize the y-pipe. It should be a sweet sounding setup though...

Chris, what shape is the filter in?? I plan on getting the K&N RU-3530 to go on the MAF adaptor. Should be an awesome setup.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Good Deal? - 03/16/05 03:28 AM
I'd find out if the kkm maf will work with that filter? i have two maf adaptors and both are different sizes....the kkm is bigger than three inches,iirc??? so try to find out what the opening is on the k&n filter...other than that its in pretty good shape...
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: Good Deal? - 03/16/05 03:38 AM
I searched a while back and everything I read said that the K&N will fit with the KKM MAF adaptor...
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Good Deal? - 03/16/05 03:52 AM
alright then....it seems like this post has become our own little chat room....anything new going on?!! do you want a oval ceg decal?? i bought it off of parked car...its prudy!
© CEG Archives