Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: UncommonTour Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 07:51 PM
I am currently looking at buying a 96 SE with a Duratec V-6 and am wodering what kind of issues I'm going to run into when I put it in my 99 SE with the Zetec, I know the PCM and probably most of the wiring harness for the car will have to be swapped out, I'm not worried about that...sort of. The main thing I'm wondering is whether it has even been done yet and Will I need to take the sub-framing as well when I fit it in to the 99. Before it's ready to put in I am going to rebuild it from top to bottom, so this could be a long term project. I am open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks
Posted By: Driver Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 08:22 PM
Why would you want to do this?
Posted By: UncommonTour Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 08:25 PM
because I have a zetec in my car currently and I can buy the whole 96, running, for $250 and the right side of it played pinball with the retainer wall on the highway.
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 09:00 PM
From what I have read, its a project dropping a v6 into a tour that came with the I4... all sorts of different stuff. I suggest you sell the I4 and fix up the v6 LOL
Posted By: UncommonTour Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 09:09 PM
yeah but I really dont like the looks of the 96 model I don't know i'm wierd and I like to attempt the never been done. not to mention I think I'm probably gonna drop a V8 in the 96
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 11:14 PM
Originally posted by MP3Tour:
not to mention I think I'm probably gonna drop a V8 in the 96

You're kidding, I hope.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 11:22 PM

the only way you could MAYBE pull it off is an itty bitty v8, like the 3.4 from the late model sho's, and a BIG hammer and ALOT of $$$. MAYBE

~Alex
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 11:35 PM
Somebody started drinking early...
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 11:42 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

how many more of these zetec to duratec swap ?'s we gonna get...maybe we should post a sticky to the top of the page
Posted By: DopePope Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:

You're kidding, I hope.

really? i hope hes serious. much better to try and fail then to never try at all because people tell you it can't be done.

besides what if he actually did get it to work?
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/26/05 11:47 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

how many more of these zetec to duratec swap ?'s we gonna get...maybe we should post a sticky to the top of the page

Sticky reads: "Don't do it, it really isn't worth the time, just buy one with a v6"

or in this case fix it, is it mostly cosmetic damage?
Posted By: snakous Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 02/27/05 01:28 AM
yeah just sell them both and get a v6. if you only paid 250 for the 96 then part it out and sell your zetec and you could probably buy an SVT.
Posted By: UncommonTour Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/07/05 09:08 PM
yeah but I dont like doing things the easy way
Posted By: Stazi Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/07/05 09:19 PM
Posted By: Roadwarrior Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/07/05 09:31 PM
Originally posted by DopePope:
really? i hope hes serious. much better to try and fail then to never try at all because people tell you it can't be done.

I definately agree. I would much rather at least try to do something than just assume it cant be done. And if you do the research behind things alot of times its not as hard as people may have thought. Doing the all out custom thing is where hot rodding started back in the day.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/08/05 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Roadwarrior:
Originally posted by DopePope:

I definately agree. I would much rather at least try to do something than just assume it cant be done. And if you do the research behind things alot of times its not as hard as people may have thought. Doing the all out custom thing is where hot rodding started back in the day.

This guy is talking about swapping motors from junk cars, not making a one-off supercar. I don't see any advantage to the extra cylinders. It would be exciting to put a V-8 in a 'tour, just to have a V-8, but what would be the point? For the same amount of money, and a lot less effort, you could do a turbo 3L. Put the same level of effort and polish Demon put into his car, and 500 crank hp is quite feasible. If you put a V-8 in there, you would never get FI on it, so you'd still be short on power. So yes, to be the only one would be cool, but go look in your engine bay and tell me any sane person would attempt it.
Posted By: Figols Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/08/05 02:55 PM
It's best to go with the same year cars for the swap because it will be a straight bolt in and plug in swap. The 98's have a different front suspension and different wiring so you'll be in for some extra work to make everything work and fit right. I've swaped a 97 2.0 with a 97 2.5 and it really was just a matter of swaping the whole cradle/suspension with the drivetrain still attached, PCM and gauges. It only took slightly longer than a like for like swap.
Posted By: UncommonTour Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/08/05 04:04 PM
For the same amount of money, and a lot less effort, you could do a turbo 3L.

Because a turbo 3L has been done already.

If you put a V-8 in there, you would never get FI on it, so you'd still be short on power.

Not true, I guess you haven't ever heard of the V-8 focus' they have been done with both 4.6L out of 99 & 2000 Mustangs and also with a 5.0L Carburated engine. Granted it is a focus but the subframing is alot alike, not to mention there is more cubic footage under the hood of the contour than there is in a focus. If it can be sone in a focus then it can be done in a contour.

So yes, to be the only one would be cool, but go look in your engine bay and tell me any sane person would attempt it.

Sanity has nothing to do with it. As I always say, I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/08/05 04:41 PM
Not true, I guess you haven't ever heard of the V-8 focus' they have been done with both 4.6L out of 99 & 2000 Mustangs and also with a 5.0L Carburated engine. Granted it is a focus but the subframing is alot alike, not to mention there is more cubic footage under the hood of the contour than there is in a focus. If it can be sone in a focus then it can be done in a contour.

And they were also converted to RWD, cut up most of the car to make a transmission tunnel and rear end..

It can be done, but the question is, is it worth being done? To spend all that money just for the bragging rights of a V8-powered, RWD Contour?

Damn I am starting to sound more and more like Demon everyday..

If you have the money and time for it, I say do it.
Posted By: tktrain Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/08/05 07:46 PM
So yes, to be the only one would be cool, but go look in your engine bay and tell me any sane person would attempt it.

Sanity has nothing to do with it. As I always say, I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.

In that case why don't you go all the way and pop in a twin turbo aluminum 600 inch mountain motor with nitrous? Now THAT would be truly different...
Posted By: UncommonTour Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/08/05 11:06 PM
HMMMM.....
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: Zetec Duratec Engine swap - 03/09/05 04:39 PM
or a rotary
© CEG Archives