Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: zzzcool Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/19/04 04:02 PM
Would I gain any hp if I have a gutted main cat?
Posted By: Stazi Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/19/04 04:21 PM
No, just terrible noise.

Gutting the main cat makes the flow through it turbulent.

You're better of removing it entirely and then installing a high flow resonator in the middle of the exhaust (which requires you to remove the POS stock one in the process).

More power is gained from gutting the precats on a V6, but that requires you to run a main highflow cat in order to pass emissions (if you're in a state that gets tested).
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/19/04 04:24 PM
Trying searching (and posting) in the correct forums - discussed many times.
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/19/04 06:45 PM
They are wrong, you will gain about 50hp, your car will be faster than a GTO, better 0-60 times than a Ferrari 355, yes gut that cat gain that hp.

Or use the search and find out the real answer.

Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
They are wrong, you will gain about 50hp, your car will be faster than a GTO, better 0-60 times than a Ferrari 355, yes gut that cat gain that hp.

Was the sarcasm really necessary here? He asked a legitimate question. Maybe it was in the wrong forum, and maybe he was in the wrong for not searching hard enough, but there is no excuse for your attitude. If you posts were 1/10th as relevant to ceg as his are, you might actually make a contribution around here once in a while.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/19/04 06:56 PM
Originally posted by jerseycat10:
If you posts were 1/10th as relevant to ceg as his are, you might actually make a contribution around here once in a while.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/19/04 06:56 PM
How often do the other middle school kids beat you up?
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/19/04 06:57 PM

You really aren't good at posting. Please stop!

Starting off by saying two Veteran CEGer's are wrong isn't sarcasm it's an insult.

-Andy
Posted By: Ronan_dup1 Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/20/04 08:32 PM
I replaced my main cat with a straight through pipe. I didnt get it dyno'd b4/after etc, but I can tell you I felt the gain instantly. I dont know about top end, but I can tell you, you will notice the extra torque down low. I dont think the car lost anywhere from this mod.
I think the stainless pipe cost around $150, and it was the best bang/$ mod I have made to my car.
When I installed the more expensive stainless twin exhaust, I did notice the slight bit extra power, but nothing compared to the cheaper cat replacement pipe. When my car needs to be MOT'd, I just swap the cat pipe back in for the day.
Posted By: EricF Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/21/04 06:01 AM
Mine is Gutted, no unusual noise is noticed.
I do have a Borla exhaust, and stock cats(headers)
Can't say I noticed a ton of improvement, but before
I gutted it I hadn't driven the car in 8 months.

I will most likely be putting in a straight pipe
in the spring, but its been like this for over a year.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/22/04 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Eric Ford:
Mine is Gutted, no unusual noise is noticed.
I do have a Borla exhaust, and stock cats(headers)
Can't say I noticed a ton of improvement, but before
I gutted it I hadn't driven the car in 8 months.

I will most likely be putting in a straight pipe
in the spring, but its been like this for over a year.

I dyno'd with a gutted main cat, a KKM and a dynomax muffler on the stock SE pipes and got 154hp and 156tq.

Ray M. (RIP) showed similar numbers with his gutted main cat - the people who say it will lose you power probably never did it. I felt a lot more "butt power" from the main cat gut than the precats. This was the SE cat, not sure if the catalyst brick is any different in an SVT, as always YMMV.

NOTE: with a tripple gut I did run into the problems they predicted - loss of low end, loud...

NOTE II: or just get the trubendz straight pipe, which seems to work quite well for me even with gutted precats.
Posted By: StreetDreams Re: Gutting main cat gain hp? - 11/23/04 12:17 AM

here we go again, round............... just a sec, lost count here

is it ever goin to stop.......
© CEG Archives