Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Oil pressure gauge installation help needed - 04/30/04 01:44 AM
I have just added an A-pillar gauge pod to my 98 SVT (that was a treat to install!). However I cannot find the oil pressure sending unit ANYWHERE! Can someone tell me where it is?? PLEASE?? Also if anyone knows the best place to add a coolant temp. sensor I'd love to know. I had an easier time putting in new struts and springs than trying to add sensors to this engine.
Hmmm, the gauge should have came with one. Or i guess you could tap off of the stock dummy light unit. I don't know if that would work or not. The stock pressure sender is on the block, duh, but I cant remember if its on ther front side or the back side. I would just get a Autometer gauge that comes with the unit.
My gauge does have the sending unit, I'm just trying to find a place to tap into. I can't seem to find the spot.
Oh, I see. I tapped off of the rear head. I don't know if people agree with that but it is right next to my oil feed for the turbo so I wanted to see that same pressure. If you look to the right of the throttle body right underneith the valve cover you will see two 1/4" npt plugs. I removed one and tapped into there.
the factory oil sending unit is behind the a/c compressor. I don't think an electric sending unit can be squeezed in behind it.

As for the coolant sending unit, I purchased a t-fitting and have them hooked up that way.
Thanks! I'll check into that tonight.
Thanks! Is it threaded, and do you think a tee or elbow fitting can be crammed in there? Where did you tap into for the coolant temp., and does it work OK with a tee fitting? I though I read that the coolant had to flow around the sensor, or it wouldn't read correctly.
ok i have a ? now, i am totaly not mechanicly enclined at all but i have my gauges too and wanna do the oil pressure one tonight, where is the a/c compressor on my csvt. do you have a pic or an easy way to tell me and what do i have to do, do i have to drill, drain,or anything like that???
The A/C compressor is on the passenger side, between the block and radiator. According to an earlier e-mail, you can get a sending unit on the back of the right head w/o drilling/tapping/etc. - (look back a few e-mails on this forum) - I'm gonna try to do this tonight. If it works out OK I'll let you know.
You were right on the money. It looks like that is a very good location. Pressure responded very quickly to engine speed change. Thanks for your help!
Ryan, you are in luck. The job is not very difficult. You will need a regular screwdriver and a 1/4" allen wrench. Remove the intake boot and disconnect any hoses that might get in the way. Look just under the right head and you will see a pipe plug - it is a 1/4"-NPT. The difficult part is getting it out, the location makes it difficult to turn the wrench. I used the box end of a combination wrench to add a bigger moment arm to the allen wrench. It will take a few turns and a little muscle, but it will come out. I don't believe you will be able to attach a sender directly to the hole - don't think there is anyway for you to safely tighten it. I used an 18" length of Earl's stainless hose and remote mounte the sending unit. If you are slow and unsure I'll estimate it will take you about an hour to remove the stuff that's in the way, remove the plug, install the line, and put the intake boot back on. Good luck with it!
Hdbngr8 is right about the location and it being a [censored] to get the plug out i have had my gauges in for a while but not hooked up for that reason and im not sure if anybody else will have this problem but my sending unit was actually smaller than the head plug hole so i have to get a damn fitting to make it work, but it will be in soon
If you are planning on adding a water temp. gage, you should go ahead and do it while you are installing your new oil press. sending unit. Everything you need out of the way for oil press. sender is the same for the coolant temp. You should be able to get a 11/16" socket wrench in to remove the original Ford coolant temp. sender.
Yes, my hose and sending unit both were smaller (1/8" NPT). You can get a 1/4" to 1/8" NPT bushing at most any hardware store.
© CEG Archives